PDA

View Full Version : just schooled a med student at work

cesmeister
10-28-08, 1:34 pm
So this kid that sits across from me at work ( i work in a biotech lab) keeps talking shit about all the protein i take in and all the time i spend lifting. And he says all the protein is bad for me (as he drinks himself to sleep every weekend) But today he insisted that when i get older all my muscle will just turn into fat. And that 95% of older men lose thier muscle that they worked for (he obviously has never been to a real gym).

Keep in mind that this kid (23 yrs old) is trying to get into medical school

So i say...
I would like you to tell me the mechanism in which a muscle cell can undifferentiate itself and turn into a fat cell.

He says.... -nothing-

Now i never attack anyone i never let anytting bother me unless its physical abuse but this kids been naggin me for so long.

JUGGERNAUT
10-28-08, 1:40 pm
Negative people are fuel to our fire.

Brutus_515
10-28-08, 1:48 pm
hope you made him feel like a dumb ass haha

Aggression
10-28-08, 3:24 pm
I know a pharmacist who always criticizes me for all the protein I eat. She tells me its bad to eat more than 50g per day. I laughed at her, and she got really pissed off. Then I purposely took out my Pak and started to take it. She demanded to see the ingredient profile. After looking over it, she said in a defeated tone "o well this isn't bad for you, but all the protein is''. Forget that! A big steak has 50g of protein in itself! I get so aggravated at stuff like that.

Cellerator65
10-28-08, 3:30 pm
when people start telling me how to live my life, i tell them to mind their fucking buisness, you are not worthy to judge me.

Unless its my parents, then i just put all my supps on the counter and let them look at it.. i say "tell me whats harmful"

InkdMuscle
10-28-08, 3:57 pm
very true fellas. Im not knocking no one. but i like this:

"In the bliss of ignorance Silence is your best weapon". I use it all the time and when people try to judge or tell me how to live. I keep quiet and it pisses them off more. Gotta luv it.

JUGGERNAUT
10-28-08, 4:08 pm
very true fellas. Im not knocking no one. but i like this:

"In the bliss of ignorance Silence is your best weapon". I use it all the time and when people try to judge or tell me how to live. I keep quiet and it pisses them off more. Gotta luv it.

That is perfect haha I was only going to add...make funny faces at them and kick their shins in (O wait, that was when I was 4) now I just kick their shins.

RepItOut
10-28-08, 4:57 pm
Get Maseef..!!! Lawl..

Factory
10-28-08, 5:08 pm
my friends stopped asking / commenting on how i eat a long time ago - but new people always say something, i just say "its what i do, whats the problem?"

Dedicated2Liftin
10-28-08, 5:14 pm
So this kid that sits across from me at work ( i work in a biotech lab) keeps talking shit about all the protein i take in and all the time i spend lifting. And he says all the protein is bad for me (as he drinks himself to sleep every weekend) But today he insisted that when i get older all my muscle will just turn into fat. And that 95% of older men lose thier muscle that they worked for (he obviously has never been to a real gym).

So i say...
I would like you to tell me the mechanism in which a muscle cell can undifferentiate itself and turn into a fat cell.

He says.... -nothing-

Now i never attack anyone i never let anytting bother me unless its physical abuse but this kids been naggin me for so long.

Except in very rare cases (paralysis), muscle does not turn to fat--so you're right. The correct answer to this dickbag's statement is that as guys get older, they tend to eat the same as they did when they were younger, but the metabolism slows down (consequently, more fat is stored and less is burned). Additionally, if this fuck tard continues to tell you how to eat/live, you can always invite him up to the gym; no matter if he says yes or no, he's still going to look like a fuckin' idiot.

cesmeister
10-29-08, 9:53 am
Additionally, if this fuck tard continues to tell you how to eat/live, you can always invite him up to the gym; no matter if he says yes or no, he's still going to look like a fuckin' idiot.

Oh i tell him to come to the gym all the time and all he says is how he used to go all the time in high school... really looks like that was the case....not

Aggression
10-29-08, 10:00 am
Unless its my parents, then i just put all my supps on the counter and let them look at it.. i say "tell me whats harmful"

HaHa, I actually have to hide them from my parents. If they saw all of the stuff I have, not a day would go by where they wouldn't criticize me for it. Silence is a good weapon, but I just hide them. That way, I don't hear them everyday. And I don't have that big of a stash of supplements either!

pitdog84
10-29-08, 5:53 pm
right now i'm doing dispatch in the alarm room at my fire dept. hell... i get in there at 19:00, don't get out till 07:00... i load up plates of food. people just give me this look, like they want me to starve for 12 hours. they'll eat like once when they're in there. i eat like 4, maybe 5 times. then say "ya know, that's gonna make you fat". then they see the numbers i push... then they shut up.

then there's this kid who went to bridgewater state, and got his pt degree, tells me not to do certain exercises, cuz his back's fucked up. i just tell him to shove it.

Giant Killer
10-29-08, 6:08 pm

LOL this is EXACTLY what I was going to post as I was entering this thread.

simpleguy
10-30-08, 6:54 am
LOL this is EXACTLY what I was going to post as I was entering this thread.

hell yeah LOL, muscle can't turn to fat and fat can't turn to muscle

Dedicated2Liftin
10-30-08, 8:05 pm
hell yeah LOL, muscle can't turn to fat and fat can't turn to muscle

Yo bros, not to play devil's advocate, but muscle can turn to fat via paralysis (I've seen it in some cadavers).

Here's a link to make it look like I'm not pullin all this out of my ass: http://radiology.rsnajnls.org/cgi/content/full/2372041612v1

Regardless, I'm sure this is not what the d-bag was referring to.

bassdocktor
10-30-08, 11:32 pm
Maybe I can shed some light on this as I'm currently in pharmacy school and have alot of friends in med school. They don't really focus on anything like this in any classes. Maybe if they took nutrition that might help some of these people. Think about it, they may only get a few weeks of it while trying to take everything else while in med school.

I personally see it all the time where people get preconceived notions and thats all they have. They never learn anything else or actually take the time to do their own research. They rely on what they've been told. Some don't even have any idea about this stuff.

Dedicated2Liftin
10-31-08, 1:18 am
Maybe I can shed some light on this as I'm currently in pharmacy school and have alot of friends in med school. They don't really focus on anything like this in any classes. Maybe if they took nutrition that might help some of these people. Think about it, they may only get a few weeks of it while trying to take everything else while in med school.

I personally see it all the time where people get preconceived notions and thats all they have. They never learn anything else or actually take the time to do their own research. They rely on what they've been told. Some don't even have any idea about this stuff.

Bro, watch the cracks on the med students; we get exposed to this stuff a lot more than you're letting on (at my school anyway). Regardless, I'm not looking to start a pissing contest...just saying watch overgeneralizations. Not everyone in med school is an ignorant, presumptous toolbag who thinks that he knows it all.

DreamZero
10-31-08, 5:51 am
Except in very rare cases (paralysis), muscle does not turn to fat--so you're right.

I'd like to have some further explanations about that.. how does physical paralysis modifies the nature of muscle cells?

IRN-NML
10-31-08, 9:32 am
You didn't attack; you asserted yourself with intelligence and class. Best to you in med school & keep lifting so when you get to 'old guy' (my age) status you'll know he was wrong.

Dingo
10-31-08, 9:45 am
Yo bros, not to play devil's advocate, but muscle can turn to fat via paralysis (I've seen it in some cadavers).

Here's a link to make it look like I'm not pullin all this out of my ass: http://radiology.rsnajnls.org/cgi/content/full/2372041612v1

Regardless, I'm sure this is not what the d-bag was referring to.

im no med student, and admittedly i didnt read the whole page due to the fact that i felt as though i were reading a legal document like a home mortgage.
My question is this:
How was it proven that the fat cells were transformed from muscle, and not just grown there by the body as a result of the injury? (in plain english less the medical terms please)

cesmeister
10-31-08, 9:53 am
You guys are missing the point of my story...maybe i should have said this first. This kid is an arrogant ***hole and thinks he knows everything. He thinks hes better than everyone because he went to (get ready for this) Bighampton University. Now im not doggin Bighampton because i have friends that go there, but its not harvard or mit or yale or anything like that. Hes your typical rich kid. Daddy bought him an Audi A4 for graduation and the kid doesn't appreciate anything. Now that he has this whole med school thing in his head its even worse. And he always talks shit when he sees me taking my pak every morning saying they're steroids. I say hey man thanks for the compliment but im clean. Once i got really fed up with him and said "you probably wish i was on gear so you would have an excuse for why you're so small." You can only deal with so much. Anyway now im ranting i just wanted to add that part of the story. Im not knockin on med students just this kid. I thought he would just be a bit more knowledgable. But cell differentiation is something you learn in high school

Dingo
10-31-08, 10:01 am
You guys are missing the point of my story...maybe i should have said this first. This kid is an arrogant ***hole and thinks he knows everything. He thinks hes better than everyone because he went to (get ready for this) Bighampton University. Now im not doggin Bighampton because i have friends that go there, but its not harvard or mit or yale or anything like that. Hes your typical rich kid. Daddy bought him an Audi A4 for graduation and the kid doesn't appreciate anything. Now that he has this whole med school thing in his head its even worse. And he always talks shit when he sees me taking my pak every morning saying they're steroids. I say hey man thanks for the compliment but im clean. Once i got really fed up with him and said "you probably wish i was on gear so you would have an excuse for why you're so small." You can only deal with so much. Anyway now im ranting i just wanted to add that part of the story. Im not knockin on med students just this kid. I thought he would just be a bit more knowledgable. But cell differentiation is something you learn in high school

im sure people got you were blowing off steam. I did, its cool we all do it, but big deal. Now it seems the thread has changed direction a little, they all do, the OP(you in this case) is just a conversation starter. Things evolve. lol.

im no med student, and admittedly i didnt read the whole page due to the fact that i felt as though i were reading a legal document like a home mortgage.
My question is this:
How was it proven that the fat cells were transformed from muscle, and not just grown there by the body as a result of the injury? (in plain english less the medical terms please)
anyone?

cesmeister
10-31-08, 10:10 am
Im pretty sure the fat just replaces the spot where muscle atrophy has occured. I don't think the muscle is turning into fat, just that the muscle wasted away and fat cells infiltrated the site of atrophy

"Fatty Atrophy- Fatty infiltration secondary to an atrophy of the essential elements of an organ or tissue."
-Stedman's Medical Dictionary

cesmeister
10-31-08, 10:14 am
Im a bio major by the way haha, but im switching to physical therapy because i realized my career in physical therapy would allow me to talk about stuff like this all day.

Dingo
10-31-08, 10:15 am
Im pretty sure the fat just replaces the spot where muscle atrophy has occured. I don't think the muscle is turning into fat, just that the muscle wasted away and fat cells infiltrated the site of atrophy

"Fatty Atrophy- Fatty infiltration secondary to an atrophy of the essential elements of an organ or tissue."
-Stedman's Medical Dictionary

Thats what i think too, the fat moved in, but according to the link and the op's comment, the muscle decided to morph. like i said im no med student and the article read to me like a legal document so.....

cesmeister
10-31-08, 10:36 am
You know no one really knows what the human body is capable of. Do i think that older men's muscle tissue casually turns into fat? absolutley not. But under extreme conditions (injury, paralysis) the human body is known for doing some freakish shit. I don't think cell dedifferentiation is a casual ocurrance by any means. The more i read about this topic the more i find that the original post was directed at one topic of this spectrum and that i was right about it. But there are always anomalies and special circumstances when youre dealing with the human body.

Dingo
10-31-08, 11:15 am
You know no one really knows what the human body is capable of. Do i think that older men's muscle tissue casually turns into fat? absolutley not. But under extreme conditions (injury, paralysis) the human body is known for doing some freakish shit. I don't think cell dedifferentiation is a casual ocurrance by any means. The more i read about this topic the more i find that the original post was directed at one topic of this spectrum and that i was right about it. But there are always anomalies and special circumstances when youre dealing with the human body.

it just seems more of an old wives tale so to speak fat to muscle, due to the fact that old farts eat like a horse still but have 1/2 the metabolic rate. once a cell is a certain tissue, for it to decide to change seems impossible, more than that scary, theres more than enough things that go on with the human body we dont have control of. This would just give the lazy in society more reason for being "hefty" .... my muscle just all turns to fat......

I've seen some interesting things with stem cells though, its been a while, but i think it was using skin cells to create stem cells which could then be told what to become. Even further out in the sci-fi spectrum there is a printable dna-ink where researchers were printing dna code and putting stem cells half on/ half on the print area and the cells on the print area followed the dna code and the others that were in the same spot of goo but off the print area didnt do anyting.

cesmeister
10-31-08, 12:00 pm
well stem cells aren't differentiated so they can become what ever they want. I know of some "miracle supplements" that claim to recruit stem cells into the muscular domain so they can turn into muscle cells. Talk about bullshit! haha

Asian
10-31-08, 5:46 pm
I for one can attest that at my school, we got about one, maybe 2 hour long lectures on nutrition. There's so much other stuff out there that it's tough to fit it into our curriculum. Most med students at my school would have no idea what to recommend to bodybuilders nutritionally.

Though I do know (or at least as far as I know), muscle doesn't turn to fat, but I have seen patients who previously lifted weights years ago, who stopped and now don't look so hot. Sure they got a little fatter, but it looks more like they lost whatever muscle tone they had. Can anyone explain that process? Did the muscle atropthy?

kjpryor
11-01-08, 5:15 pm
i have been on this journey for just over 2 years now and i love every wakeing acheing second of it, it is like a drug..... but the only thing that pisses me off is when im at college taking my time to get up the stairs becuase of the arse to grass squats i did the night before and you get the football (english) playing tosser who thinks his in shape becuase he can run for 90mins and do 500 sit ups gives me stick!!!

So you probs thinking what did i do about this well i didnt pick a fight or run my mouth becuase i bigger then that, i did somthing alot better i gave him an offer to join me at the gym. so being the "big" man he is he accepted. that night at the gym i pushed him to the limit and beyond and all i can say is the next day at college i saw him taking the lift all day hahah.

eat,sleep and train like an animal the only way to live !!!!

Carpe Diem P.T
11-01-08, 5:23 pm
i have been on this journey for just over 2 years now and i love every wakeing acheing second of it, it is like a drug..... but the only thing that pisses me off is when im at college taking my time to get up the stairs becuase of the arse to grass squats i did the night before and you get the football (english) playing tosser who thinks his in shape becuase he can run for 90mins and do 500 sit ups gives me stick!!!

So you probs thinking what did i do about this well i didnt pick a fight or run my mouth becuase i bigger then that, i did somthing alot better i gave him an offer to join me at the gym. so being the "big" man he is he accepted. that night at the gym i pushed him to the limit and beyond and all i can say is the next day at college i saw him taking the lift all day hahah.

eat,sleep and train like an animal the only way to live !!!!

now you should have a go at his 90min run and 500 situps. see how you pull up. kudos to him for having a go at something outside his comfort zone.

Hybridtheory2o
11-01-08, 5:45 pm
Who really gives a shit? Lol shit...60 isnt even really that old now a days if you take care of yourself and train right, right from the get go. Im no med student or brain im a correction officer but shit i know when im like 70 im really not gunna give a shit if i got a little more fat on me cuz im gunna enjoy all the years of gettin huge and ripped lol. So really its not a big deal becuz im sure when we all become old we are gunna be worrying about way more serious shit. its a good discussion but i woulda told that idiot listen bro when im 70 i really dont care if i got a little more fat lol. Not for nothin tho he sounds like the typical jealous person who doestn wanna put in the real effort to get the way we are. He sounds like the kid who is happy with everything that he can buy with money and well in this game all you can do is buy the tools to assist you with beefing up or cutting down.

He cant buy muscle he has to work for it so he doesnt wanna do it but when he sees someone like you or any of us of course hes gunna give us shit lol. One of the reasons i love this game you can see the different levels of effort that people put in. Just smile because people like that really wish they had the self discipline and training knowledge to look or be like us thats all it is.

futurefreak101
11-01-08, 7:57 pm
you should be glad your arguments dont turn physical like mine usually do...just 2 days ago i was at work...it was break time...(lunch) so this kid 27 years old im 21 and hes a fat shit goes you think your all big and bad i can make you my bitch so im like lol...i guess if you think so bro...so i walked by him and he had the nerve to Slap me in the face and say see your my bitch...considering the fact i didnt want to beat the shit out of him and get fired i turned at him and laughed and hit him 3 direct times in the face with an open palm and walked away as he said bro calm down whats your problem you fucking roid rage i calmly walked away and said now your my bitch. bullshit post i kno but people like to test me cause im a "bigger guy" it gets played.

biggora
11-01-08, 8:17 pm

So i say...

He says.... -nothing-

Yeah, I hear you. I have quite a few people saying my body doesn't need all those "pills and powders" I take... and here they are smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol. hahaha

Maniak Mack
11-01-08, 9:43 pm
Ya know,I bet people who say things like this, own a BLOWflex.

Renji007
11-02-08, 5:38 pm
Guys, I've gotta say....I hope to god we all never get stuck in a room together... we'll freak out all the NONE Animals with our "weird language" XD ROFL

thelunchbox
11-03-08, 11:42 pm
now you should put his stapler in jello

LegendKillerJosh
11-04-08, 12:05 am
when people start telling me how to live my life, i tell them to mind their fucking buisness, you are not worthy to judge me.

You said it. I don't care what other people put in their body, it is their choice. They shouldn't care what I put in my body, it is MY BODY. I want to be big and strong now, I don't care what happens to me when I'm 70.