PDA

View Full Version : insulin and fish oil

redskin 344
10-28-08, 8:01 pm
I've read that fish oil makes insulin resistant to fat cells AND receptive to muscle cells. Is this really true?

If so... does that mean it is okay to eat more simple carbs if knowing that it will feed the muscle instead of immediately being stored as fat?

GJN5002
10-29-08, 11:00 am
yes its true to an extent but no it doesnt create a switch on your insulin to help process simple carbs. It will help to make it moderate itslef over time. The only time you want simple carbs is around your workout if you are concerned with staying lean. The only thing that will really create the environment you describe is to deplete glycogen stores.

redskin 344
10-29-08, 7:20 pm
alright

also a friend of mine had just told me that the anti-inflammatory properties fish oil will actually LIMIT muscle hypertrophy when trying to bulk? This is a major major downer for me because I really was planning on taking fish oil for every aspect of training, especcially bulking.

Is this true? Is it okay yo continue taking fish oil when bulking as well because I am cutting weigt as of now and I know fish oils gonna help me burn of a shitload of more fat than with exercise alone.

jordo
10-29-08, 7:34 pm
alright

also a friend of mine had just told me that the anti-inflammatory properties fish oil will actually LIMIT muscle hypertrophy when trying to bulk? This is a major major downer for me because I really was planning on taking fish oil for every aspect of training, especcially bulking.

Is this true? Is it okay yo continue taking fish oil when bulking as well because I am cutting weigt as of now and I know fish oils gonna help me burn of a shitload of more fat than with exercise alone.

I was under the impression the fish oils were EFAs. So it would be a good idea to take them in at all times to help muscle growth.

redskin 344
10-29-08, 7:53 pm
I was under the impression the fish oils were EFAs. So it would be a good idea to take them in at all times to help muscle growth.

I know that fish oil contains EFAs and (correct me if Im wrong) the best source of EFAs because they already are rich in EPA/DHA unlike flaxseed oil containing ALA that must be converted to EPA/DHA in the body which is a difficult process. However, if inflammation is necessary for muscle building and the EPA in fish oil is an excellent and natures best inflammation fighter, wouldnt that effect or limit muscle gains? Or am I just overthinking this?

npeezy
10-30-08, 6:46 pm
I know that fish oil contains EFAs and (correct me if Im wrong) the best source of EFAs because they already are rich in EPA/DHA unlike flaxseed oil containing ALA that must be converted to EPA/DHA in the body which is a difficult process. However, if inflammation is necessary for muscle building and the EPA in fish oil is an excellent and natures best inflammation fighter, wouldnt that effect or limit muscle gains? Or am I just overthinking this?

youre over thinking this.

YES the OMEGA3s have an anti inflammatory effect on the body, but its not going to be anything that would inhibit muscle gains unless you were taking say....900mg of epa/dha 3 times a day or something like that....the best thing to get would be a triple omega product such as animal omega. its the best omega369 product out right now by far. it has the perfect balance of omegas 3, 6, and 9. EFAs will act as fuel for your mind and muscles...ALSO, the omega 6s are very very important for building muscle, and the omega 3s will also help save your joints along with everything else they do such as maintaining a healthy heart, brain, skin nails hair...shit...EVERYTHING. the only thing i make sure i do when taking animal omega is keeping it away from a workout. OX (evan centopani) believes in this also. if you workout in the morning, take it at night or vise versa...just dont take it pre/post workout or anything like that and you will be good to go.

redskin 344
10-30-08, 7:04 pm
youre over thinking this.

YES the OMEGA3s have an anti inflammatory effect on the body, but its not going to be anything that would inhibit muscle gains unless you were taking say....900mg of epa/dha 3 times a day or something like that....the best thing to get would be a triple omega product such as animal omega. its the best omega369 product out right now by far. it has the perfect balance of omegas 3, 6, and 9. EFAs will act as fuel for your mind and muscles...ALSO, the omega 6s are very very important for building muscle, and the omega 3s will also help save your joints along with everything else they do such as maintaining a healthy heart, brain, skin nails hair...shit...EVERYTHING. the only thing i make sure i do when taking animal omega is keeping it away from a workout. OX (evan centopani) believes in this also. if you workout in the morning, take it at night or vise versa...just dont take it pre/post workout or anything like that and you will be good to go.

alright thanks... my friend who works out as well and has alot of muscle mass on him stopped taking fish oil caps a while ago because he knew the antiinflammatory effect would halt muscle growth. Im guessing he was wrong to do so.

GJN5002
10-31-08, 3:25 pm
def dont over think it. Look at ox, hes a huge dude and he swears by efas. Like I said theres two kinds of inflammation in the body and fish oil fights bad inflammation. I take about 5grams a day and I feel like Im healthier and have gained more since starting it.

redskin 344
11-01-08, 7:02 pm
def dont over think it. Look at ox, hes a huge dude and he swears by efas. Like I said theres two kinds of inflammation in the body and fish oil fights bad inflammation. I take about 5grams a day and I feel like Im healthier and have gained more since starting it.

is Ox on this site? Where can I find him?

GJN5002
11-01-08, 8:07 pm
go to the ask the pros section under training. ox's stable. google him and get an image and try not to shit.