PDA

View Full Version : Crock Pot/Slow Cooker...my best friend.

rbh84
10-29-08, 12:58 pm
I am sure this has been written about...but I am just reminding everyone about a great tool in the kitchen to change things up. I recently brought a crock pot/slow cooker from walmart and this thing works wonders. I am sure everyone is used to cooking for ahead of time, but if you miss a warm cooked meal, you have to invest in this cooking device. On monday, I took 3 pounds of red meet, potatoes, carrots, and onions and put it all into the corckpot, turned it on low and set the timer for 9 hours...I came home from work and the aroma was amazing. The beef was so tender... On tuesday I made hot befe sandwiches with a side of vegetables for that dinner. I made some small burritos out of the left overs by putting cilanthro and red onion in the meat... I had some chili verde sauce to mix in as well. That was my lunch for today. Right now while I sit at my desk, I got 2 huge cornished hens slow cooking at home. There going to be so tender.

Anyways, I have read on this how bodybuilders can eat some horible stuff. It doesnt have to be cold and plain and nasty. I think I have finally made it to the greener side when it comes to the kitchen fellas. Hope you check it out. Its not to expensive and it really does help, especially if your working all day and dont have time.

Dingo
10-29-08, 2:56 pm
yeah, its a great tool for deboning chicken, after ya peel the skin off slow cookin makes the meat just fall off the bones.

brandonA
10-29-08, 3:02 pm
I just got done chowing on two burritos filled with some beef my mom cooked up...

Three ingredients...

beef
fresh green chili
taters

season to taste....toss a nasty, tough chunk of cow in the slow cooker, toss in the chili add water and spices, cook....when you have a few hours left, toss in the taters....cook....then chow.....

-B

Maniak Mack
10-29-08, 3:03 pm
Hells YES! The crock is one of my best friends. I usually do my dinner and late meal in it. The other day, I used my Anywhey Protien with noodles, chunk cubes, beef broth potatoes and dry herbs. It was good. But yeah, every bodybuilder should invest in one. Hell, lets see if we can get a pro Animal to endorse one.

naturalguy
10-29-08, 3:04 pm
subbd, I just got a crock pot. Post up some more recipes.

Big Wides
10-29-08, 3:06 pm
One of the best things out there, just throw in any type of dead animal, set the time add water and spices....your good to go.

naturalguy
10-29-08, 3:17 pm
One of the best things out there, just throw in any type of dead animal, set the time add water and spices....your good to go.

LOL sounds simple

brandonA
10-29-08, 3:21 pm
LOL sounds simple

Best part is you can buy the cheap, tough, nasty beef, the shit that you have to chew for 20mins if you BBQ it. Cut it up, de-fat, and toss it in the pot with some water and it comes out so tender and juicy...Nothing like walking into the house after work, with a roast cooking in the crock all day....best air fresher scent in the world....hahahahaha....

-B

Dingo
10-29-08, 3:31 pm
Best part is you can buy the cheap, tough, nasty beef, the shit that you have to chew for 20mins if you BBQ it. Cut it up, de-fat, and toss it in the pot with some water and it comes out so tender and juicy...Nothing like walking into the house after work, with a roast cooking in the crock all day....best air fresher scent in the world....hahahahaha....

-B

yup, since winter is rollin in, its stew time. and there is nothing better than 5 day old stew. it needs to soak in its own juices for a few days to really be a great stew.

Big Wides
10-29-08, 3:37 pm
LOL sounds simple

I try not to complicate things.....

rbh84
10-29-08, 5:07 pm

-B

I made a big mistake the first day I got it. I put a pot roast in over night because I wanted to know what it was capable of before I left it on all day at home while I am at work...I couldnt sleep all night...The smell of the pot roast was so intense it would wake me and my wife up on anf off at least 4 times. I felt like somone was cooking a full fledge 5 course meal at the foot of my bed. Its awesome.

naturalguy
10-29-08, 5:09 pm
I made a big mistake the first day I got it. I put a pot roast in over night because I wanted to know what it was capable of before I left it on all day at home while I am at work...I couldnt sleep all night...The smell of the pot roast was so intense it would wake me and my wife up on anf off at least 4 times. I felt like somone was cooking a full fledge 5 course meal at the foot of my bed. Its awesome.

You should have just ate it for breakfast

Northman
10-29-08, 6:29 pm
Not just for meat! If you're broke throw some dried beans and peas with a little barley in the crock pot, fill water to 3/4 full and leave for 4-5hrs on high. Then drain and mix with tuna and a little olive oil. There's lots of extra protein, fiber, and iron. I did this AND gained quality weight back in the day. It beats bread any day.

v8ftmfw
10-29-08, 7:53 pm
Im interesting on this cook thing, can some one post the pix of what it look like ? thanks

Mizzarler
10-29-08, 8:21 pm
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=crock%20pot&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

i forgot about them, it would be great to make a stew with lots of steak and veggies and then add some rice when its done mmmm

dominate77
10-30-08, 10:08 am
wow that thing sounds awesome man, do you remember how much it was?

I'll try to remember to pick one up after practice today...I could probably cook some food and leave it on all night and have something besides eggs and oatmeal for breakfast. Or do what you did and have something cool like that when i get off of work on the weekends

Maniak Mack
10-30-08, 10:20 am
I just started on some 15 Bean Soup. All that it takes is a bag of 15 beans (bought at Wal-Mart) and some meat. I use beef. Throw in sime season and water (works better with beef or pork broth). Let it cook. From the looks of it, I’m gonna eat on this for about a week and a day. Good Stuff.

Hoomgar
10-30-08, 12:10 pm
A long lost cousin to this also is the pressure cooker. I use both for the same reasons. the only real difference is clean up and the Crockpot is better in that it can be left unattended. But the pressure cooker makes stuff even more tender and drive the flavorings even deeper into the meet. Both have their place.

Hg

McFly
10-30-08, 12:56 pm
ahh i have some crock pot recipes i posted a few months back....i'll have to dig them up...one was buffalo chicken breasts and the other a wicked steak chilli

joe-yamma
10-30-08, 1:19 pm
i have some deluxe model with different timer settings, programmable, blah blah blah...
one of the few things i got in the divorce (haha)

best thing about it is that the bowl inside comes out and goes straight into the dishwasher for easy clean-up.

and still, my lazy ass has yet to cook a full-fledged meal in it.

recipes please.

GJN5002
10-30-08, 1:43 pm
Turkey chili is fast and easy.
3lbs ground turkey
2 cans tomatoes and green chilis ( or fresh im lazy)
i like to use a variety of beans
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 packet chili seasoning
1 onion chopped
little bit of water (use your judgement if you like it wet or dry)
sometimes I'll throw a few cups of rice in with it for some carbs or spice it up with some green yellow orange peppers and corn.
makes around 7 servings

rbh84
10-31-08, 10:39 am
wow that thing sounds awesome man, do you remember how much it was?

I'll try to remember to pick one up after practice today...I could probably cook some food and leave it on all night and have something besides eggs and oatmeal for breakfast. Or do what you did and have something cool like that when i get off of work on the weekends

Go to wal-mart, they wont stir you wrong. the one I have is a crock pot and slow cooker all in one. It better to buy one that is digital as well, because they can do a lot more things that the ones that just takes a switch. i bought mine for like $50 bucks at walmart. Its not bad considerig what it can do for you.

dominate77
10-31-08, 1:30 pm
Go to wal-mart, they wont stir you wrong. the one I have is a crock pot and slow cooker all in one. It better to buy one that is digital as well, because they can do a lot more things that the ones that just takes a switch. i bought mine for like $50 bucks at walmart. Its not bad considerig what it can do for you.

sounds good man, i think i'm going to like this thing

jbryan
11-05-09, 3:30 pm
Ok....i am not sure if this topic has been touched and i am sry if it has. i know not every one has time to actually cook and take the time to prepare dinner at night.... for me it is rough....with the way my schedule is, it seems that i am always cooking dinner late at night....is there any good crock pot ideas out there that i can use through out the week?

C.Coronato
11-05-09, 3:37 pm
Check out my thread on universalusa.com .. From there go to eating and seasonings.

I can certainly throw up some crock pot ideas my man.

GJN5002
11-05-09, 3:49 pm
I loveeee the croc pot. Turkey chili and beef stew are two of my favorites. You can make essentially anything in it.

jbryan
11-07-09, 12:18 pm
thanks guys there has been a lot of great ideas. one to add....i was in Walmart the other day and at the end of the beef section, they have crock pot meals all ready to go they are about 10$ it comes with a good amount of meat and some veggies and potatoes.....i tried the roast option and it is not bad very tender......even the next day as well. i am going to try to find some more ideas as well....but once again thank you very much