PDA

View Full Version : how can one squat deeper?

prowrestler
10-29-08, 1:02 pm
i have a seriouse problem that needs to be fixed

i cant squat deep enough without a box

not a weight/ego thing. i cant do it with no weight on me.

i simply can not go low enough to break parallel. it hurts my hips is something i realised.

i am sure it must be a flexibility problem. but i dont know what stretches to do to fix it?

i can break parallel when i go close like i use to in my bodybuilding days, but when i go wide stance, not even very wide, just outta shoulder width, i cant get to parallel.

i also realise my lower back looses its stifnnes at the bottom and rounds?

could it be due to tight hamstrings?

brandonA
10-29-08, 1:42 pm

i simply can not go low enough to break parallel. it hurts my hips is something i realised.

i am sure it must be a flexibility problem. but i dont know what stretches to do to fix it?

i can break parallel when i go close like i use to in my bodybuilding days, but when i go wide stance, not even very wide, just outta shoulder width, i cant get to parallel.

We have the same set of issues...In order to get lower, I moved my stance in...a bit wider than shoulder width. I do not have the flexibility to go wide, it was killing my hips...In my meet last week, a USAPL lifter complimented me on going so low...

You need to stretch you glutes and hammies, i found the foam roller to be my new best friend..Also have someone help you stretch.

The back rounding is your chest dropping. When you come out of the hole, you hips are the 1st thing that moves, where's you traps need to be. To fix this I have to look WAY up...and keep looking WAY up through the whole movement. Make sure your elbows are under the bar, like you are going to press it up. Tilt your head back like you are looking up at the Empire State Bldg.

Try these as well I call them Spuds, they are from Marc Bartley...

put the bar on your back, dont matter how much weight, 135 will work. Drop in to the hole like normal. Once in the hole, drop your head and look at your feet. You will feel your back round over and the stress in your lower back. Now while still in the hole, lift your head all the way back, arch hard and feel the differance. You will feel it in your glutes, hamms, groin...

It takes a bit more than 135 for me to get parrelle as well..do dont worry about that too much..

remember....HEAD UP!!, KNEES OUT, SIT BACK!!

-B

prowrestler
10-29-08, 2:28 pm
We have the same set of issues...In order to get lower, I moved my stance in...a bit wider than shoulder width. I do not have the flexibility to go wide, it was killing my hips...In my meet last week, a USAPL lifter complimented me on going so low...

You need to stretch you glutes and hammies, i found the foam roller to be my new best friend..Also have someone help you stretch.

The back rounding is your chest dropping. When you come out of the hole, you hips are the 1st thing that moves, where's you traps need to be. To fix this I have to look WAY up...and keep looking WAY up through the whole movement. Make sure your elbows are under the bar, like you are going to press it up. Tilt your head back like you are looking up at the Empire State Bldg.

Try these as well I call them Spuds, they are from Marc Bartley...

put the bar on your back, dont matter how much weight, 135 will work. Drop in to the hole like normal. Once in the hole, drop your head and look at your feet. You will feel your back round over and the stress in your lower back. Now while still in the hole, lift your head all the way back, arch hard and feel the differance. You will feel it in your glutes, hamms, groin...

It takes a bit more than 135 for me to get parrelle as well..do dont worry about that too much..

remember....HEAD UP!!, KNEES OUT, SIT BACK!!

-B

thank you man!

normaly i dont look up but straight ahead, but i always sit back, i do keep my elbows low too.

lol, i never seen it or know how to use it. whats the foam roller and what does it do?

brandonA
10-29-08, 2:46 pm
Check this out...Some great mobility info in this article by Joe Defranco

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html

scroll down to the Agile 8......

The glute stretch is pure magic...the rest is awesome as well...I will be incorporating this in to my training....hell my life.....

The foam roller is a 6" dia piece of foam that you roll a certin muscle group on. It breaks down the facia of the muscle and allows it to expand more, allowing you to stretch the muscle better, not be as stiff and sore....truly an amazing, cheap peice of nothing...It will hurt like hell, but it works...

-B

IRBS
10-29-08, 3:06 pm

What B said up there.

I think your main problem is that you are relying to heavily on the box when you squat...its a saftey net for you. You can do a couple things, ditch the box for a while, or do touch and go box squats (which is what we do). The touch and go's will mimic your free squat, just use the box to judge depth.

At what weight can you not get to parrallel? If you can full squat with no weight on your back, you should have no problem doing it with weight. You need to start with a broom stick and work on your form. Form is likely your problem.

Otherwise, stop being a puss and get your butt down to depth. High squats will bomb you out of a meet faster than you will be able to even know what happened......trust me on this, I did it. If you train squatting high, you will be squatting sky high at the meet.

Good luck,
IRBS

eric downey
10-29-08, 9:09 pm
Im gonna guess that you wear the bar high up and you bend over alot more when you have weight on your back which is gonna cause you not to be able to get down. Vids would help.

ironshaolin
10-29-08, 9:56 pm
You got some good advice from the rest of the guys already, heres my two cents. Try standing in front of a wall, with your toes maybe 2-3 inches out. Then do bodyweight squats, focusing on proper squat technique for 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps. Not a workout per say, but it helps your body how to learn proper alignment. I found doing sumo squats helped me build alot of hip flexibility, stand in a slightly less than shoulder width stance, toes as far out to the sides as possible. Drop down into a squat, making sure not to rip your pants as low as possible. As you come up, do a stiff leg kick with your toes up out to the side. Basically, keeping your knee straight and swinging your leg as high as you can to the outside of your arm. Its a dynamic stretch that helps build that flexibility.

prowrestler
10-30-08, 10:49 am
What B said up there.

I think your main problem is that you are relying to heavily on the box when you squat...its a saftey net for you. You can do a couple things, ditch the box for a while, or do touch and go box squats (which is what we do). The touch and go's will mimic your free squat, just use the box to judge depth.

At what weight can you not get to parrallel? If you can full squat with no weight on your back, you should have no problem doing it with weight. You need to start with a broom stick and work on your form. Form is likely your problem.

Otherwise, stop being a puss and get your butt down to depth. High squats will bomb you out of a meet faster than you will be able to even know what happened......trust me on this, I did it. If you train squatting high, you will be squatting sky high at the meet.

Good luck,
IRBS

i cant even break parallel with a broomstick. i cant get low enough with my feet wide. not even very wide, just outta shoulder width.

only way i can break parallel is by having a close foot stance and probably rounding my lower back

prowrestler
10-30-08, 10:50 am
Check this out...Some great mobility info in this article by Joe Defranco

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html

scroll down to the Agile 8......

The glute stretch is pure magic...the rest is awesome as well...I will be incorporating this in to my training....hell my life.....

The foam roller is a 6" dia piece of foam that you roll a certin muscle group on. It breaks down the facia of the muscle and allows it to expand more, allowing you to stretch the muscle better, not be as stiff and sore....truly an amazing, cheap peice of nothing...It will hurt like hell, but it works...

-B

shit, thanks!

prowrestler
10-30-08, 10:52 am
Im gonna guess that you wear the bar high up and you bend over alot more when you have weight on your back which is gonna cause you not to be able to get down. Vids would help.

no, i learned to keep the bar low on my rear delts recently, that helped alot, especialy with speed.

i do bend over abit, hmmm?

i cant get videos up. no camera. nor am i alloud one in my gym

prowrestler
10-30-08, 10:53 am
You got some good advice from the rest of the guys already, heres my two cents. Try standing in front of a wall, with your toes maybe 2-3 inches out. Then do bodyweight squats, focusing on proper squat technique for 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps. Not a workout per say, but it helps your body how to learn proper alignment. I found doing sumo squats helped me build alot of hip flexibility, stand in a slightly less than shoulder width stance, toes as far out to the sides as possible. Drop down into a squat, making sure not to rip your pants as low as possible. As you come up, do a stiff leg kick with your toes up out to the side. Basically, keeping your knee straight and swinging your leg as high as you can to the outside of your arm. Its a dynamic stretch that helps build that flexibility.

thanks, ill try it

eric downey
10-30-08, 1:44 pm
i cant even break parallel with a broomstick. i cant get low enough with my feet wide. not even very wide, just outta shoulder width.

only way i can break parallel is by having a close foot stance and probably rounding my lower back

You are supposed to arch your back when you squat. Spud preaches it. By the way seen him lately. Squatting is as easy as sitting down. Get back to basics bro. Head up, deep breath, break the hips first, then sit back. Use a low box for 3 reps but on the 3rd have it pulled out. This isn't that complicated.

prowrestler
10-31-08, 5:44 pm
You are supposed to arch your back when you squat. Spud preaches it. By the way seen him lately. Squatting is as easy as sitting down. Get back to basics bro. Head up, deep breath, break the hips first, then sit back. Use a low box for 3 reps but on the 3rd have it pulled out. This isn't that complicated.

i know man, i got everything else down, its my fuckin depth. i think im just reallllly un flexible where its needed.

i cant even reach a low box lol! feels like my hips will rip in half.

IRBS
11-01-08, 5:11 pm
i know man, i got everything else down, its my fuckin depth. i think im just reallllly un flexible where its needed.

i cant even reach a low box lol! feels like my hips will rip in half.

Start with a high box and work down over a few weeks. I have never seen anybody not be able to squat to depth with light enough weight.........my advice is to suck it up and squat down...get a video of you squatting at your house with a broom stick if you cant take vids at the gym...I have a feeling your form sucks balls....

prowrestler
11-02-08, 10:40 am
Start with a high box and work down over a few weeks. I have never seen anybody not be able to squat to depth with light enough weight.........my advice is to suck it up and squat down...get a video of you squatting at your house with a broom stick if you cant take vids at the gym...I have a feeling your form sucks balls....

i think its getting better, i wasnt even warm or anything and i was showing a kid how to box squat and i was able to comfortably sit on the lower box. in jeans too lool.

i don't get why i can do it good when i have the box but if it wasnt there, i cant break parallel. i got a feeling it might be cause i am scared to sit back with nothing to save me.

im trying to use lower and lower "boxes". i can now comfotably sit on the small bench with my feet outta shoulder width and when my feet are under the power rack, i can nearly be comfortable on that box. but i can reach it cold with no warmup. i would have pulled my hammies if i did that 1 month ago.

next is the lowest actual box. see if i can reach it or not.

mark
11-02-08, 12:46 pm
Technique, ab strength, technique, flexibility, and technique are what you need to work on.

- your elbows may be too low

- the bar may be too low on your back for how wide your stance is

- glute, hips, and IT band sound like they could be tight

- your abs are weak if your having issues hitting depth w/o your back bending

- you don't need to squat as wide as you are., bring your stance in. Not everyone, even at WSB, squat with their feet against the side of the mono

- stop box squatting if you plan on competining. They don't allow box squats in meets, and considering your having troubles when its not there, i would suggest start working on that problem now. You can always come back to box squats when you get your technique fixed.

The Sun
11-02-08, 2:36 pm
- stop box squatting if you plan on competining. They don't allow box squats in meets, and considering your having troubles when its not there, i would suggest start working on that problem now. You can always come back to box squats when you get your technique fixed.

that is not 100% correct, I know all of WSB athletes are box-squatting in their training, and use free squats only for competitions.
go for touch n' go to the lower box you can reach, just stop half a inch before you actually sit on it and explode up. this is how I recently got the break parallel. good luck mate!

prowrestler
11-02-08, 4:01 pm
Technique, ab strength, technique, flexibility, and technique are what you need to work on.

- your elbows may be too low

- the bar may be too low on your back for how wide your stance is

- glute, hips, and IT band sound like they could be tight

- your abs are weak if your having issues hitting depth w/o your back bending

- you don't need to squat as wide as you are., bring your stance in. Not everyone, even at WSB, squat with their feet against the side of the mono

im gonna do alot more ham/glute stretches, im 95% sure now thats my problem.

i dont think its the abs cause they mine are good. i think i rounded my back to compensate for lack of depth and lack of flexibility in an effort to get lower.

and i will try both closer and wider squats, closer for when im maxin out and wider when i wanna warm up and get more flexible.

i recently lowered the bar on my back, but it HAS helped me so i think thats not whats causing it.

thanks, im gonna be stretchin the hams/glutes hard and work and having my legs abit closer in.

prowrestler
11-02-08, 4:02 pm
that is not 100% correct, I know all of WSB athletes are box-squatting in their training, and use free squats only for competitions.
go for touch n' go to the lower box you can reach, just stop half a inch before you actually sit on it and explode up. this is how I recently got the break parallel. good luck mate!

thanks, im gonna use a lower box and do it touch and go style, just hardly tapping the low box

IRBS
11-02-08, 9:07 pm

Mark's point was that if the box is his saftey net, he needs to get rid of it and get used to free squatting. It is obvious by what the OP is asking that he cant squat properly without the box. Therefore he needs to work on free squatting because, last I checked, there is no such thing as a Box Squat competition...

This kid (as far as I know) trains alone and does not have access to arguably one of the worlds greatest strength coaches to monitor his form...comparing a novice solo lifter to some one who lifts at Westside is like comparing apples to oranges......

Prowrestler, take Mark's advice, he knows what he is talking about.

prowrestler
11-02-08, 11:22 pm
Mark's point was that if the box is his saftey net, he needs to get rid of it and get used to free squatting. It is obvious by what the OP is asking that he cant squat properly without the box. Therefore he needs to work on free squatting because, last I checked, there is no such thing as a Box Squat competition...

This kid (as far as I know) trains alone and does not have access to arguably one of the worlds greatest strength coaches to monitor his form...comparing a novice solo lifter to some one who lifts at Westside is like comparing apples to oranges......

Prowrestler, take Mark's advice, he knows what he is talking about.

marks adivise is solid, deff gonna take it into my squatting days.

but i think SUN's advise was more for my flexibility improvment.

it might be just a matter of finding my right foot stance and slowly workin into a wider base.

i appreciate the advise