PDA

View Full Version : training for shoulder size

mancunian'freakshow
10-30-08, 7:44 am
what is reccomended in order to build shoulder size (not necesarily strength). what exercises should you focus on and should you use mostly volume training or hit the heaviest weights. any help is realli appreciated as im new to this forum. thanks

Aggression
10-30-08, 5:30 pm
what is reccomended in order to build shoulder size (not necesarily strength). what exercises should you focus on and should you use mostly volume training or hit the heaviest weights. any help is realli appreciated as im new to this forum. thanks

Lateral raises, dumbbell presses, and upright rows should do ya good. for size, hit them anywhere from 6-12 reps for the presses, maybe a bit higher for the lateral raises (8-12).

sanga
10-30-08, 5:57 pm
Progressive resistance.

Pick an exercise that is a compound exercise such as shoulder presses and then once you can get say 10 reps with what ever weight you are using, add weight and lower reps to 6 then work up to 10 reps again, add weight, etc etc etc, best way to build big delts, in fact any muscle.

You can add in isolation exercises such as laterlas after but they will not add much in the way of mass IMO unless you use progressive resistance in these exercises also.

Remember there are a lot of variations in progressive resistance, for instance you could do drop sets, pre-exhaust, giant sets, as long as you are increasing weight and / or reps regularly your delts will grow providing you are eating enough and recovering.

shizz702
10-30-08, 6:00 pm
The strict standing overhead press is the best exercise you can do for your shoulders and one of the best overall upper body development.

Gilly44
11-04-08, 4:03 am
I love the Arnold DB Press for blowing up my shoulders.

prowrestler
11-04-08, 10:58 am
The strict standing overhead press is the best exercise you can do for your shoulders and one of the best overall upper body development.

lol, every time

prowrestler
11-04-08, 11:00 am

heavy shoulder presses

dumbell side laterals are a MUST.

upright rows

reverse flys

push presses

keep shit different. every 2-3 weeks, change it up. have 1 exercise that you focus on moving the most weight on every workout and use others to finish the delts off. rotate the heavy exercise every 2-3 weeks.

Ady
11-04-08, 6:25 pm

Best exercise ever......try it one handed works a treat.

redskin 344
11-04-08, 7:44 pm

hell yess, i love the standing bb overhead press its one of my favorite exercises along with deadlifts.

isnt it best to just stick with big heavy compound exercises (leg presses, squats deads, bench presses and overhead presses) that provide enough intensity that your whole body ends up suffering and in return grows and gets stronger?

Suleiman
11-04-08, 7:55 pm
well if your gonna add size anyway you'll get strong either way

Psycho77
11-04-08, 8:39 pm

x2, listen to shizz, he knows what hes talking about.

Young&Hungry
11-04-08, 9:40 pm
Hang Clean & Press
Side Laterals
General Upper Back Work
Raises

MetalAsh12
11-07-08, 8:02 pm
Side laterals are great, but don't sacrifice form for heavy weight just so you look cool. I always start with 10-15lb. (for two sets of 30) dumbbells during my shoulder workouts to get the blood pumping.

mustgetbig
11-07-08, 10:45 pm
behind the neck presses have done great things to me

hatebreedXXX69
11-11-08, 7:27 am
heavy standing barbell overhead presses and heavy dumbell military presses