PDA

View Full Version : From Tiny to Tank

Pages : 1 [2]

scals
01-09-09, 12:12 am
Doing great work bro. Really progressing nicely and smartly. Hitting 200 on the deadlift is a big achievement. Congrats. Now it's time to get ready for 2 pies a side!!! You got it.

sodapop
01-09-09, 12:13 am
Doing great work bro. Really progressing nicely and smartly. Hitting 200 on the deadlift is a big achievement. Congrats. Now it's time to get ready for 2 pies a side!!! You got it.

Thanks for the feedback, man.

I'm hoping that, once I can get back to chest workouts, I can throw some plates up on my bench here pretty soon for reps.

scals
01-09-09, 12:14 am
Thanks for the feedback, man.

I'm hoping that, once I can get back to chest workouts, I can throw some plates up on my bench here pretty soon for reps.

You'll get it done. How is the tattoo healing?? Got the nasty pealing yet?

sodapop
01-09-09, 12:17 am
You'll get it done. How is the tattoo healing?? Got the nasty pealing yet?

It started peeling yesterday, though it's not too bad yet. A couple chunks were coming off, but right now, it doesn't seem to be peeling at all.

J Wong
01-12-09, 3:17 pm
We killed it today man! haha

sodapop
01-13-09, 1:08 pm
Yesterday's workout:

Squats - 135x10, 155x8, 175x4, 205x1 (a little help from boom), 115x12
Leg Press - 2ppsx10, 3ppsx8, 4ppsx6
Leg Curls - 45x10, 70x8, 100x6, 45x25
Leg Extensions - 70x10, 90x8, 110x6
Seated Calf Raises - 45x30, 45x30, 45x30

And then some insignificant bicep shit; was really tired and felt like shit from accidentally drinking Gains just before working out.

scals
01-13-09, 4:21 pm
Thats solid work bro. Heavy weight!

sodapop
01-13-09, 8:41 pm
Today - Chest

Flat Bench - 95x10, 115x4, 125x2, 85x12
Incline (Smith) - 65x10, 75x8, 85x6
Flyes - 20x10, 25x8, 30x6
Rotator machine(?) - 45x10, 65x8, 75x5

I tried doing military presses, but I'm getting bad joint pain in my left shoulder on some movements, this one being the biggest. I'm gonna get it checked out when I go to the doctor.

sodapop
01-26-09, 9:43 pm
Well, after considering a split, I went back to Ripp's. I've been doing the split up until today; just didn't post the workouts.

Today's:

Squat - 3x5 @ 175
Bench - 3x5 @ 115*
Deads - 1x5 @ 185

*These were surprisingly easy. I thought I'd lost strength here, but I think I gained some. I went for 135x1 after this, and was really close. I'm sure I could've gotten it fresh.

Felt like I really paid my dues today; I was satisfied.

sodapop
01-26-09, 9:51 pm
Whoops, I lied; I did Ripp's Friday too:

Squat - 3x5 @ 165
Bent Rows - 3x5 @ 95
Militaries - 3x5 @ 85

J Wong
01-26-09, 10:08 pm
Good shit man.

shizz702
01-26-09, 10:41 pm
Glad to see you still sticking with Rip's soda, you made the right choice. Keep paying your dues with it and you'll be ready for a split with a solid foundation of strength and mass under your belt.

sodapop
01-28-09, 5:40 pm
Today's workout:

Squats - 3x5 @ 180
Bent Rows - 100x5, 95x5, 95x5*
Militaries - 3x5 @ 85**

Dips - 3x12 @ BW

*I could tell the 100 was gonna get too heavy, so I did 95.
**I redid 85 lbs on these, because my last 2 reps last time were basically half-reps, which I forgot to mention. Much easier this time.

The dips seem to be a good gauge of upper body strength to me (could be wrong, though), and they're getting pretty damn easy, so I'm happy about that. 2x12 used to be difficult, and 3x12 was easy today.

shizz702
01-28-09, 5:51 pm
Damn awesome progress you are making soda! Those squats are getting heavy, and you're basically already at a plate and a quarter since you'll be hitting 185 next time. Before you know it you'll be at 225. With the dips, get yourself a belt to add weight with, and start with 10 lbs and add 2.5-5 lbs every workout from there. Since you can do sets of 12 it's definitely time to add weight on them, go for 5-12 reps, your choice, me personally I like to do sets of 5 with them.

sodapop
01-28-09, 6:01 pm
Damn awesome progress you are making soda! Those squats are getting heavy, and you're basically already at a plate and a quarter since you'll be hitting 185 next time. Before you know it you'll be at 225. With the dips, get yourself a belt to add weight with, and start with 10 lbs and add 2.5-5 lbs every workout from there. Since you can do sets of 12 it's definitely time to add weight on them, go for 5-12 reps, your choice, me personally I like to do sets of 5 with them.

Thanks, bro. I'm definitely gonna see about getting a belt. Any clue if they have them at Wal-Mart or any other store I could get to? I'd rather get one that way than order one online if I can.

SQUAT or DIE!
01-28-09, 6:04 pm
Thanks, bro. I'm definitely gonna see about getting a belt. Any clue if they have them at Wal-Mart or any other store I could get to? I'd rather get one that way than order one online if I can.

dude those belts are trash, i would never use one again...

sodapop
01-28-09, 6:05 pm
dude those belts are trash, i would never use one again...

By those belts, do you mean ones from Wal-Mart?

SQUAT or DIE!
01-28-09, 6:07 pm
By those belts, do you mean ones from Wal-Mart?

walmart, academy, any place that sells gym related stuff... they are not quality products.. i used to use one, it doesnt provide great ab support like a real lifting belt would, plus that lil padding in the back has 0 purpose..

sodapop
01-28-09, 6:10 pm
walmart, academy, any place that sells gym related stuff... they are not quality products.. i used to use one, it doesnt provide great ab support like a real lifting belt would, plus that lil padding in the back has 0 purpose..

Ah, I see. Thanks for the heads up, man. Guess I'll order one online then.

SQUAT or DIE!
01-28-09, 6:12 pm
Ah, I see. Thanks for the heads up, man. Guess I'll order one online then.

inzer ot titan are top quality materials..

J Wong
01-28-09, 10:11 pm
good workout...

but squatty, he is talking about a dip belt, not a lifting belt.

SQUAT or DIE!
01-29-09, 3:34 am
good workout...

but squatty, he is talking about a dip belt, not a lifting belt.

well scuse the fuck outta me... i didnt know dip belts where redily avalible...

im just gonna shut up now..

tec9
01-29-09, 3:45 am
good luck bro just try lifting heavy da heavier u lift da bigger u get
n u rather miss ya training than diet eat like a animal now dont eat garbage like pizza burger al that stick with basic turkey , chicken , tuna , rice not to mention lot of water eggs n fruits i personally eat 12 eggs a day ( egg white ) 6 mornin - 6 eve
keep it simple make your own diet plan n always change ur workout plan cus u dont want your body to get used to same workout pz

SQUAT or DIE!
01-29-09, 4:04 am
good luck bro just try lifting heavy da heavier u lift da bigger u get
n u rather miss ya training than diet eat like a animal now dont eat garbage like pizza burger al that stick with basic turkey , chicken , tuna , rice not to mention lot of water eggs n fruits i personally eat 12 eggs a day ( egg white ) 6 mornin - 6 eve
keep it simple make your own diet plan n always change ur workout plan cus u dont want your body to get used to same workout pz

garbage? pizza and burger are the staple to size!!

J Wong
01-29-09, 6:21 am
well scuse the fuck outta me... i didnt know dip belts where redily avalible...

im just gonna shut up now..

WHOA,calm down bad boy

SQUAT or DIE!
01-29-09, 8:24 am
WHOA,calm down bad boy

rrwwwaaaarr

The Sun
01-29-09, 10:54 am

NO BURGERS? LOL - BURGERS ARE THE SIZE MAKERS.

solid work soda !

scals
01-29-09, 7:56 pm

mmmmmmmm .... pizza

sodapop
02-01-09, 9:27 pm
Friday:

Bench @ 125 - 5, 5, 4
Squats - 3x5 @ 185
Deads - 1x5 @ 190

The deads were surprisingly easy. Looking forward to pulling 200 for 5.

scals
02-01-09, 9:30 pm
good work bro. making solid progress. hows the tat treatin ya?

sodapop
02-01-09, 9:31 pm
good work bro. making solid progress. hows the tat treatin ya?

It's great bro; fully healed.

scals
02-01-09, 9:33 pm
It's great bro; fully healed.

Nice, thinking about getting a new one on my chest in the next couple of months.

sodapop
02-02-09, 9:40 pm
Today's workout:

Squat - 3x5 @ 190
DB Shoulder Press - 2x5 @ 35, 1x5 @ 40*
Bent Rows - 3x5 @ 100

*I was in a hurry, and didn't know how long I'd have to wait for a rack, so I did these instead of militaries.

sodapop
02-02-09, 10:43 pm
Bump.

Forgot to add, 3x10 chins. Do people do weighted chins? Or just more reps? Sets of 10 are getting too easy.

scals
02-02-09, 10:51 pm
Bump.

Forgot to add, 3x10 chins. Do people do weighted chins? Or just more reps? Sets of 10 are getting too easy.

Weighted or go to failure on em.

shizz702
02-03-09, 8:46 pm
Great work soda! Absolutely add some weight on your chins. Start with 10 lbs and go for sets of 8, add 2.5 lbs every workout where you get your 8 reps for each set. It might not seem like much but before you know it, it will add up to 25 lbs, then 45 lbs, and so on. Also those squats are getting heavy bro, I think you'll be ready for 225 soon!

sodapop
02-04-09, 7:10 pm
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll start weighting my chins.

Today's workout:

Bench - 130 - 5, 5, 4
Squats - 3x5 @ 200 (Little help from a spot on the last 2 reps)
Deads - 1x5 @ 200
Dips - 1x10 @ 10*

*I was gonna do another set or two, but the deads and squats killed me today. I was getting pretty light headed and felt like I might puke

scals
02-04-09, 7:12 pm
Good workout as usual bro. Progressing strongly.

sodapop
02-04-09, 8:59 pm
Good workout as usual bro. Progressing strongly.

Thanks, man. Can't wait to be pullin/squattin 2 plates!

And I'll be benchin plates next Monday, finally!

J Wong
02-05-09, 3:59 pm
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll start weighting my chins.

Today's workout:

Bench - 130 - 5, 5, 4
Squats - 3x5 @ 200 (Little help from a spot on the last 2 reps)
Deads - 1x5 @ 200
Dips - 1x10 @ 10*

*I was gonna do another set or two, but the deads and squats killed me today. I was getting pretty light headed and felt like I might puke

Your doing good man, this program is doing you good, even though your finding it boring. At least your got a PR coming every workout haha

sodapop
02-05-09, 9:43 pm
Your doing good man, this program is doing you good, even though your finding it boring. At least your got a PR coming every workout haha

Yeah, I am progressing pretty well. After taking a little break from it, it's not so bad. But, I'd still have more fun on a split. Oh well, gains are gains.

shizz702
02-05-09, 10:31 pm
Doing great soda, I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is the best program for you right now and the results you have been getting speak for themselves. You will soon be squatting and pulling 2+ plates and benching 1+plates, and I'm here to tell you that a high volume split would not do that for you right now.

Just keep focusing on the basic lifts, training your body as a whole, and getting stronger. Trust me, I wasted years fucking around with high volume splits and shit that didn't work, and if I could have done it all over again I would starting out the way you are now and would be light years ahead of the game.

sodapop
02-05-09, 10:36 pm
Doing great soda, I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is the best program for you right now and the results you have been getting speak for themselves. You will soon be squatting and pulling 2+ plates and benching 1+plates, and I'm here to tell you that a high volume split would not do that for you right now.

Just keep focusing on the basic lifts, training your body as a whole, and getting stronger. Trust me, I wasted years fucking around with high volume splits and shit that didn't work, and if I could have done it all over again I would starting out the way you are now and would be light years ahead of the game.

True enough. Thanks for the support and advice, bro.

PERSISTANCE
02-05-09, 10:52 pm
Haha thats crazy! I was gonna stick with my split for a couple more months and then do a split just like you are doing now! Subb'd cuz I wanna see how it goes!

sodapop
02-05-09, 10:55 pm
Haha thats crazy! I was gonna stick with my split for a couple more months and then do a split just like you are doing now! Subb'd cuz I wanna see how it goes!

Just to give you an idea, in about 3 months, I've added:

100+ pounds to my squat
50ish pounds to my bench
100+ pounds to my deadlift

It works, man.

PERSISTANCE
02-05-09, 10:59 pm
Wow thats pretty good! Yea I look forward to seeing how it goes.. well continues for you. How is tough is squatting twice a week?

sodapop
02-05-09, 11:01 pm
Wow thats pretty good! Yea I look forward to seeing how it goes.. well continues for you. How is tough is squatting twice a week?

I actually squat 3x a week; every workout. It actually isn't bad, considering I don't do any other leg work.

PERSISTANCE
02-05-09, 11:04 pm
Yea true. My legs usually kill me after leg day but I guess since I do more exercises for legs at one time it makes a difference. I couldnt get my sissy friend to start this split with me so I gotta do this split til i get hired on with the fire department, and then I will just have to pick out my next victim, or training partner. haha

sodapop
02-05-09, 11:08 pm
Yea true. My legs usually kill me after leg day but I guess since I do more exercises for legs at one time it makes a difference. I couldnt get my sissy friend to start this split with me so I gotta do this split til i get hired on with the fire department, and then I will just have to pick out my next victim, or training partner. haha

Haha, word.

I train by myself; it sucks having to ask random people for a spot and shit, haha. I'm trying to get someone to workout with me, but no one wants to, blah.

SQUAT or DIE!
02-06-09, 3:18 am
Haha, word.

I train by myself; it sucks having to ask random people for a spot and shit, haha. I'm trying to get someone to workout with me, but no one wants to, blah.

yeah alot of us are in the same boat, most people cant properly spot so they throw me outta my groove.. i found one guy whose good, and i constantly bug his ass for spots- i suggest you do the same if possible.

BTW nice work today..

sodapop
02-06-09, 7:48 am
yeah alot of us are in the same boat, most people cant properly spot so they throw me outta my groove.. i found one guy whose good, and i constantly bug his ass for spots- i suggest you do the same if possible.

BTW nice work today..

Yeah, I've found two or three people at my gym that can properly spot, so I bug the same people over and over too. Thanks, bro.

sodapop
02-07-09, 8:46 pm
Well, I didn't go to the gym yesterday because I had a really bad stomach ache, so I went today instead.

Squats @ 205 - 5, 5, 6
Military Press @ 95 - 5, 5, 4
Bent Rows - 3x5 @ 105
Chins - 2x10 @ 10lb

Great session today. Felt good puttin a 45 + 35 on the bar. :D

J Wong
02-07-09, 8:48 pm
Well, I didn't go to the gym yesterday because I had a really bad stomach ache, so I went today instead.

Squats @ 205 - 5, 5, 6
Military Press @ 95 - 5, 5, 4
Bent Rows - 3x5 @ 105
Chins - 2x10 @ 10lb

Great session today. Felt good puttin a 45 + 35 on the bar. :D

You killed it today man, just about a little over a month ago I remember catching you about to go down with 1 rep of 200 on your back. Now your doing 205 for 3 sets of 5 (and 6).

shizz702
02-07-09, 8:54 pm
Fuck yea, damn right you killed it there bro! You are starting to put up some solid numbers and you are so close to squatting 2 pies I can feel it! Also very glad to seeing you hit those chins weighted, they are going to blow your arms up!

sodapop
02-07-09, 9:01 pm
Thanks, guys. I'm also now gaining weight again, which is good. I was stuck at 115 for a bit for some reason after coming back from GA. But, I've really been doing work in the kitchen, and I've gone from 116ish to 120 in the past 2 weeks or so, so I'm psyched.

sodapop
02-07-09, 11:38 pm
Well, I'm hopefully gonna go to the July 25th PL meet with boom. Idk how well I'll do, but I really just wanna experience it regardless of how I place.

On a side note, my thighs are gettin' thick! And I've got veins stickin' out in 'em now, which I've never had before.

SQUAT or DIE!
02-08-09, 4:06 am
Well, I'm hopefully gonna go to the July 25th PL meet with boom. Idk how well I'll do, but I really just wanna experience it regardless of how I place.

On a side note, my thighs are gettin' thick! And I've got veins stickin' out in 'em now, which I've never had before.

the first meet is all about having fun and learning, and you will learn!!!!
i learned more at meet 2 than meet 1...

sodapop
02-08-09, 10:28 pm
Well, I'm thinking what I might do is keep on Rippetoe's until I'm 1.5 or 2 months out from the meet, and at that time switch to a more PL-oriented routine. Any insight on this? Would it benefit me more to stay on Ripp's?

SQUAT or DIE!
02-08-09, 10:38 pm
Well, I'm thinking what I might do is keep on Rippetoe's until I'm 1.5 or 2 months out from the meet, and at that time switch to a more PL-oriented routine. Any insight on this? Would it benefit me more to stay on Ripp's?

dude id stick with ripptoes program til after the meet...

sodapop
02-08-09, 10:46 pm
dude id stick with ripptoes program til after the meet...

You think I'd be better off stayin on Ripp's?

I'm just thinking, I'm not used to doing 1RMs, so it might be beneficial to work with those?

SQUAT or DIE!
02-09-09, 12:10 am
You think I'd be better off stayin on Ripp's?

I'm just thinking, I'm not used to doing 1RMs, so it might be beneficial to work with those?

just throw in some singles at the end of your wo.....
i dont think changing routines so close to a meet would be really beneficial.

sodapop
02-09-09, 12:13 am
just throw in some singles at the end of your wo.....
i dont think changing routines so close to a meet would be really beneficial.

Hm. Alright, thanks for the advice.

SQUAT or DIE!
02-09-09, 12:14 am
its why we be here

scals
02-09-09, 9:15 am

Keep doing what your doing bro and you'll do fine.

sodapop
02-09-09, 4:21 pm
Had a really shitty day at the gym today. It may be because I didn't get much sleep last night.

Bench - 4, 3, 2 @ 135
Squats - I was collapsing under 210 and 205, so I just did 3x10 @ 135.

Didn't even go for the deads because I was exhausted after just the bench and the squats. In a shitty mood now. Guess I'll get some needed rest and hit it hard on Wednesday.

SQUAT or DIE!
02-09-09, 4:26 pm
Had a really shitty day at the gym today. It may be because I didn't get much sleep last night.

Bench - 4, 3, 2 @ 135
Squats - I was collapsing under 210 and 205, so I just did 3x10 @ 135.

Didn't even go for the deads because I was exhausted after just the bench and the squats. In a shitty mood now. Guess I'll get some needed rest and hit it hard on Wednesday.

damn it son, have you not heard of a nap!!!! its the way to go..

good work man.. kill it wednesday

sodapop
02-09-09, 4:38 pm
damn it son, have you not heard of a nap!!!! its the way to go..

good work man.. kill it wednesday

Haha, yeah, I probably should've taken one. Sucks too, cause I was on a roll at the gym lately. It may help if I could take my fucking Pump, but my pill-swallowing skills suck...

I'm gonna hit it harder than ever Wednesday to make up for today.

It also didn't help that I didn't have a good spot for squats today.

sodapop
02-09-09, 4:45 pm
I'm going to start doing core work as well, as I don't think my core is strong enough in relation to my legs. Gonna do some ab work tonight, and will start doing it 2 days a week after workouts.

SQUAT or DIE!
02-09-09, 4:45 pm
Haha, yeah, I probably should've taken one. Sucks too, cause I was on a roll at the gym lately. It may help if I could take my fucking Pump, but my pill-swallowing skills suck...

I'm gonna hit it harder than ever Wednesday to make up for today.

It also didn't help that I didn't have a good spot for squats today.

dude if i feel a bit tired i always take a nap.. dude relax the throat and drink TONS of water with it.. ive gotten it down to be able to take almsot an entire PAK at once... takes time to get the skills..

sodapop
02-09-09, 4:48 pm
dude if i feel a bit tired i always take a nap.. dude relax the throat and drink TONS of water with it.. ive gotten it down to be able to take almsot an entire PAK at once... takes time to get the skills..

Yeah, I've never been able to swallow pills. The other day, after my girlfriend was trying to help me (haha), I got one of the capsules down, but that's it. Guess I gotta keep trying.

SQUAT or DIE!
02-09-09, 4:51 pm
Yeah, I've never been able to swallow pills. The other day, after my girlfriend was trying to help me (haha), I got one of the capsules down, but that's it. Guess I gotta keep trying.

dude take a big sip of water and drop a pill or 2 in ur throat and til the head back and swallow.......

sodapop
02-09-09, 4:58 pm
dude take a big sip of water and drop a pill or 2 in ur throat and til the head back and swallow.......

Easier said than done for someone with an overactive gag reflex :P

SQUAT or DIE!
02-09-09, 5:00 pm

mines pretty bad.. but i manage

NJC_Manhattan
02-09-09, 5:00 pm

Perhaps you can grind them up and add them to a shake? Maybe, cut them in half (the solid ones anyways). But I'd look into what that does to the vitamin/supp absorption in your body.

sodapop
02-09-09, 5:02 pm
Perhaps you can grind them up and add them to a shake? Maybe, cut them in half (the solid ones anyways). But I'd look into what that does to the vitamin/supp absorption in your body.

Well, I've read that grinding them up is not recommended as it does change the way/time its absorbed by the body. And, as for the Pump, which is mostly (if not all? can't remember at the moment) capsules, that wouldn't work.

scals
02-09-09, 5:03 pm
Being that you're bulking, you might try taking the pills with whipped cream. I did this when I was younger. Worth a shot. Put the pill in your mouth then shoot some whipped cream in your mouth and swallow. Worked for me.

sodapop
02-09-09, 5:04 pm
Being that you're bulking, you might try taking the pills with whipped cream. I did this when I was younger. Worth a shot. Put the pill in your mouth then shoot some whipped cream in your mouth and swallow. Worked for me.

Ooh, that sounds like it might work. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip!

scals
02-09-09, 5:10 pm
Ooh, that sounds like it might work. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip!

No problem bro. Lemme know how it works.

PERSISTANCE
02-09-09, 9:21 pm

Haha thats genius! Sodapop I know how you feel without a spot.. But dang from what I have read seems like you doin pretty good without one! Keep destroyin it man!

sodapop
02-09-09, 9:48 pm
Haha thats genius! Sodapop I know how you feel without a spot.. But dang from what I have read seems like you doin pretty good without one! Keep destroyin it man!

Well, I usually have one, sometimes I don't. I just don't like idea of squatting without a spot and getting crushed, haha.
Thanks for the input!

PERSISTANCE
02-09-09, 9:57 pm
Ha I know what you mean. I guess all you can do in that situation is try to fall backwards and push that junk away from you like there aint no tomorrow! Where do you work out at? Like a gym?

sodapop
02-09-09, 9:58 pm
Ha I know what you mean. I guess all you can do in that situation is try to fall backwards and push that junk away from you like there aint no tomorrow! Where do you work out at? Like a gym?

Yeah, I mean, I use safety bars (I don't know what they're actually called), which gives me enough room to drop down if I need to, but still...

Yeah, I work out at my local YMCA. Not the most hardcore of places, but it works.

PERSISTANCE
02-09-09, 10:01 pm
I used to work out in my local Y so I know what you mean. But my buddy has a set at his house so we can grunt and hollar and get all intense without the fear of getting kicked out. But atleast you are making do with what you got. And obviously youre making gains so keep it up brother

sodapop
02-09-09, 10:02 pm
I used to work out in my local Y so I know what you mean. But my buddy has a set at his house so we can grunt and hollar and get all intense without the fear of getting kicked out. But atleast you are making do with what you got. And obviously youre making gains so keep it up brother

That's cool, man. Good setup you got there. The people at my Y are actually pretty cool. I find myself grunting pretty loudly under heavy squats from time to time, and I've never been yelled at or anything. Some weird looks from the older people maybe, but that's about it, haha.

Thanks man, and same to you. Put in work, day in and day out!

sodapop
02-10-09, 10:25 pm
Weighing in at 125 currently; gaining at a good pace.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better than Monday...

PERSISTANCE
02-10-09, 10:34 pm
So from 110 to 125 in 4 months. Thats not bad man! Keep puttin in brother!

sodapop
02-10-09, 10:47 pm
So from 110 to 125 in 4 months. Thats not bad man! Keep puttin in brother!

Yeah, I stalled for close to a month between December and January. :( But NOW, I'm gaining quickly. :D

sodapop
02-11-09, 9:55 pm
Got a few of the Pump pills down today, red one included. Felt really pumped, but despite that...

Squats @ 210 - 5, 4; 205 - 4
Bent Rows - 3x5 @ 105
Militaries @ 95 - 5, 5, 4

No spot for squats man. Feeling pretty shitty with these last couple workouts.

scals
02-11-09, 9:57 pm
You try the whipped cream bro?

sodapop
02-11-09, 9:58 pm
You try the whipped cream bro?

Yeah, and that didn't get them down, not directly anyway. But it did make the pills more slippery which allowed me to get em down with water. So it did help. Thanks again for the tip!

scals
02-11-09, 10:01 pm
Yeah, and that didn't get them down, not directly anyway. But it did make the pills more slippery which allowed me to get em down with water. So it did help. Thanks again for the tip!

No problem bro. Anything I can do to help.

shizz702
02-11-09, 10:03 pm
Solid work soda, I know how you feel cause I'm starting to plateau myself, didn't get all 5 reps in on my deadlift today, it happens. Just keep pressing on bro.

sodapop
02-11-09, 10:05 pm
Solid work soda, I know how you feel cause I'm starting to plateau myself, didn't get all 5 reps in on my deadlift today, it happens. Just keep pressing on bro.

Yeah, it sucks man.

I think it may be a psychological thing more than anything else, because when I'm about to squat it's getting to the point where part of me is thinking, "I don't think I can get all of the reps; this is heavy." The mind is a powerful thing, and maybe it is just mind over matter, but it's really discouraging.

J Wong
02-11-09, 10:11 pm
Yeah, it sucks man.

I think it may be a psychological thing more than anything else, because when I'm about to squat it's getting to the point where part of me is thinking, "I don't think I can get all of the reps; this is heavy." The mind is a powerful thing, and maybe it is just mind over matter, but it's really discouraging.

With squats, you can always get one more. It's either a rep or get buried... getting buried sucks.

shizz702
02-11-09, 10:11 pm
Yeah, it sucks man.

There is A LOT to be said about the mental aspect of training. There have been countless sets that I would not have made it through had I not mentally prepared myself. But the fact is, your body can only handle so much. Just have to be patient, and persistent, the gains will come.

Go for 205 again, if you miss it again then you may need to consider some changes. The first change Rip recommends in the program when progress on the squat stalls I believe is to hit up lighter squats, 80% of what you're currently doing, for better recovery.

sodapop
02-11-09, 10:13 pm
There is A LOT to be said about the mental aspect of training. There have been countless sets that I would not have made it through had I not mentally prepared myself. But the fact is, your body can only handle so much. Just have to be patient, and persistent, the gains will come.

Go for 205 again, if you miss it again then you may need to consider some changes. The first change Rip recommends in the program when progress on the squat stalls I believe is to hit up lighter squats, 80% of what you're currently doing, for better recovery.

I'm gonna try to go in Friday knowing I'm gonna crush the weights, and see what happens.

If not, I'll switch to the lighter weight. I was thinking of doing that.

shizz702
02-11-09, 10:19 pm
I'm gonna try to go in Friday knowing I'm gonna crush the weights, and see what happens.

If not, I'll switch to the lighter weight. I was thinking of doing that.

Develop a psyche up routine, if you haven't already. Lol pace back and forth, stare the weight down, clear your mind and as soon as your favorite part of a song kicks in, or whenever you KNOW you are ready show that motherfucker who's boss! You have to conquer the weights, it is a war between you and the Iron! You can never hit up a maximal set with half hearted effort, if you do, or have any doubt, you will lose.

Let it all out bro, all the stress, all the bullshit, every negative thing life throws at you, take it out on these sets, there is no better way to channel it.

I'm expecting to see you make that weight your bitch next time!

sodapop
02-11-09, 10:25 pm
Develop a psyche up routine, if you haven't already. Lol pace back and forth, stare the weight down, clear your mind and as soon as your favorite part of a song kicks in, or whenever you KNOW you are ready show that motherfucker who's boss! You have to conquer the weights, it is a war between you and the Iron! You can never hit up a maximal set with half hearted effort, if you do, or have any doubt, you will lose.

Let it all out bro, all the stress, all the bullshit, every negative thing life throws at you, take it out on these sets, there is no better way to channel it.

I'm expecting to see you make that weight your bitch next time!

Yeah, I'm gonna try doing that. I usually spend minimal time psyching myself up - certainly not enough. I'm gonna have to start thinking of shit that pisses me off or gets me motivated; whatever I can do to hate the weights!

Thanks for the tips, bro.

PERSISTANCE
02-11-09, 11:29 pm
You lift with an i-pod or anything? Music does the trick for me man. Do whatever it takes to just go crazy inside and unleash the beast within when you lift! Like they said, you cant have any doubts or second thoughts..

NJC_Manhattan
02-11-09, 11:32 pm
I find I think about things I want (Power, Money, extra gains, Women, whatever)... or how I view my future ... That gets me going on the motivation end... A little music doesn't hurt either...

sodapop
02-12-09, 7:41 am
Yeah, I do use an iPod, and it helps, but maybe it's not enough.

sodapop
02-13-09, 11:58 pm
I had a much better day at the gym today...

3x5 Bench @ 135 (Big PR!)
3x5 Squat @ 210
1x3 Deadlift @ 205 :(

The benching came easy today, and I had to squat without a spotter, once again, but I just psyched myself up a bunch.

J Wong
02-14-09, 12:34 pm
I had a much better day at the gym today...

3x5 Bench @ 135 (Big PR!)
3x5 Squat @ 210
1x3 Deadlift @ 205 :(

The benching came easy today, and I had to squat without a spotter, once again, but I just psyched myself up a bunch.

Great job man, what's in store for monday?

PERSISTANCE
02-15-09, 12:18 am
Nice job on the squats man! Keep psychin up and liftin hard my friend!

sodapop
02-16-09, 3:13 pm
Today:

Squats - 3x5 @ 215 (Well, I had help on the last rep; probably would've gotten buried otherwise)
Militaries - 100x4, 2x5 @ 95
Bent Rows - 3x5 @ 110

Dips - 2x10 @ 10lbs

Good overall workout.

J Wong
02-16-09, 3:19 pm
Today:

Squats - 3x5 @ 215 (Well, I had help on the last rep; probably would've gotten buried otherwise)
Bent Rows - 3x5 @ 110

Dips - 2x10 @ 10lbs

Good overall workout.

Yay. Almost to 2 pies per side on the squat

scals
02-16-09, 8:45 pm
Today:

Bent Rows - 3x5 @ 110

Dips - 2x10 @ 10lbs

Good overall workout.

Real good work bro. Progressing nicely on squats.

sodapop
02-18-09, 9:40 pm
Today's workout:

Squats - 3x5 @ 220 (2 plates is next!)
Bench @ 140 - 4, 3, 2 :(
Deads - 1x5 @ 210 (Over under grip)

sodapop
02-22-09, 11:13 am
Friday:

Squat - 3x5 @ 225 (PR!) :D
Militaries - 5, 5, 2 @ 100
Power Cleans - 4 @ 115, 2x5 @ 95
Overhand pull-ups - 10, 10, 7 (BW)

J Wong
02-22-09, 11:16 am
Friday:

Awesome man, that military pressing is gonna get 3x5 soon enough.

shizz702
02-22-09, 12:13 pm
O yea squatted the big 2 pies! I knew you would! Good job brotha!

scals
02-22-09, 7:12 pm
Friday:

Congrats on the squats bro. Thats super!!

sodapop
02-23-09, 10:17 pm
Deloaded a bit on squats today to try to get lower.

Squats - 3x5 @ 205
Bench - 4, 4, 3 @ 140 :(
Deads - 1x5 @ 215
Dips - 2x12 @ 15lbs

Alright session. Didn't get enough sleep last night.

scals
02-23-09, 10:19 pm
Deloaded a bit on squats today to try to get lower.

Squats - 3x5 @ 205
Bench - 4, 4, 3 @ 140 :(
Deads - 1x5 @ 215
Dips - 2x12 @ 15lbs

Alright session. Didn't get enough sleep last night.

Still not a bad session bro.

sodapop
02-25-09, 10:42 pm
Today:

Squats - 3x5 @ 210
DB Shoulder Press - 3x5 @ 40
Power Cleans - 3x5 @ 100
Chins @ 10lbs - 12, 10, 8

sodapop
03-02-09, 7:44 am
Friday:

Squats - 3x5 @ 215
Bench @ 140 - 5, 4, 2 (Shoulder joint pain on last set)
Deadlift - 1x5 @ 225
Wide Grip Overhand pullups - 6, 6, 8

scals
03-02-09, 10:12 am
Doing well bro. Take care of that shoulder.

sodapop
03-02-09, 1:10 pm
Doing well bro. Take care of that shoulder.

Yeah, I'm gonna try to get some fish oil or something.

J Wong
03-02-09, 1:19 pm
Yeah, I'm gonna try to get some fish oil or something.

Glucosamine is better for joint pain.

sodapop
03-02-09, 10:51 pm
Glucosamine is better for joint pain.

I'll keep that in mind.

I need to get my bench up, so today I did Chest/Tris in split fashion for a change of pace.

Flat Bench - Barx10, 95x10, 135x5, 155x0 (Think I could've gotten it without being burnt out)
DB Flyes - 20x10, 20x10
Decline Bench - Barx10, 75x10, 115x5, 115x5
Rope Pushdowns - 60x14, 80x12, 90x10
CGBP - Barx10, 75x10, 115x8
Push-ups - 1x25, 1x20, 1x15

Tris were pretty fried after all that. Good workout.