PDA

View Full Version : Angelwrath's Journey

Angelwrath
10-30-08, 11:45 am
Hi brothers,
Reading about all the pluses of having a journey has finally led me to start one of my own. I've been working out for 5 years now. However, lack of knowledge in my early years impeded my growth a lot.
My current stats :

Height : 6'1.5"
Weight : 227 lbs at around 13% body fat
I'll post my pics here soon.

Recent injuries had put me out of the game for a while. I haven't been able to squat for a while now, so have to catch up on a lot.
My goal for the next 4 weeks is to get to 220 lbs while upping my squat, deads, bench and clean/jerk numbers.

My current lift maxes :
Deadlift : 400 x 3
Bench : 275 x 3
Squats : 300 x 5 (weak !)
Clean and Jerk : 200 x 1

Goal to reach after 4 weeks :
Deadlift : 400 x 6
Bench : 275 x 6
Squats : 300 x 10
Clean and Jerk : 220 x 1

:)

Angelwrath
12-12-08, 9:41 am
O.K .. This is gonna sound very lame, but as luck would have it, my laptop crashed about a day or 2 after I wrote the above post. It took a little more than a week to get repaired, after which a hell lot of pending work in the office (b/c of the laptop) kept me away from this.

This in no way means that I haven't worked my ass off in the gym. I make it a point never to miss a workout no matter how busy the day is. If I can't make it at 8:00 in the morning b/c of a late night's work, I make it at 8:00 in the evening or even midnight if it's a particularly rough day.

I'm a little disappointed with the progress though. My bench hasn't increased 1 tiny bit and neither has my deadlift gone up. The only good thing that has happened to my workouts in the past few days is my squats going up to 310 lbs (140 kgs) for 5 reps ATG. Probably separating my quads day and hams day had something to do with this... that and the introduction of front squats to my training.

Aggression
12-12-08, 9:52 am
What's your diet like? If you're not gaining any strength, then lets see what we can do with your diet to help you progress

Angelwrath
12-12-08, 9:54 am
My current workout split is as follows :

Mon - Quads, bis, forearms
Tue - Chest,shoulders, abs
Wed-rest
Thu - Back, Hams, forearms
Fri - Triceps, a very few sets of biceps and then abs
Sat,Sun - rest

Frustrated by my plateau, I've finally decided to have periodization incorporated in my routine. For almost a year now I have known all the theoretical benefits of periodization, but I never could get myself out of the 'classical' training monotony, which just feels comfortable and good (lifting heavy every week).

Now, although I don't intend to go for any specific periodized traning system like ABC,DUP or WSB(my plateau will have to stick around a little longer for that to happen .. lol ), I bring in some periodization by changin rep-schemes and speed etc. in alternate weeks. I have started this last week and hope to see good results soon.

I am going to have a planned deload next week, with the hope of some super(duper)compensation to kick in the week after that :D

Angelwrath
12-12-08, 10:00 am
What's your diet like? If you're not gaining any strength, then lets see what we can do with your diet to help you progress

Thanks for dropping in brother..

My diet looks somewhat like this :
Meal 1 : 1.5 cups oatmeal with 3 eggs and 300 ml milk (with Pak)
Meal 2 : (After my post workout Torrent) A big sandwich with a lot of veggies + chicken and tuna worth around 50 grams of protein
Meal 3 : Fruits and milk
Meal 4 : 300 grams of chicken
Meal 5 : 4 Eggs
Meal 6 : A bedtime protein shake worth around 30-35 grams of protein

(Nitro halfway through workout and Pump pre)

Used to have PUMP along with beta ala9 pre earlier ... now dropped the ala9 cos it made me feel sick halfway through the workout

Angelwrath
12-12-08, 10:04 am
My plateau happened around 3-4 months back prior to which my deadlift progress had been really good (went up by 100 pounds in less than a year).

Angelwrath
12-12-08, 10:13 am
Anyway, this was today's WO :

Triceps + a little biceps + abs

After cycling and warmup :

WEIGHTED DIPS : (45 lbs plate) - 3 sets - 8,6,5 reps
Skullcrushers with CGBP with the same bar immediately following the skullcrushers w/o racking the weight - 80 lbs x 12, 110 x 6,4 , 110 x 4,3

DB overhead extension
70 x 15, 80x10,80x10

supersetted with DB curls :
45sx10, 50sx7,50sx6

one arm reverse grip cable pressdowns :
3 sets to failure

supersetted with
E-Z bar reverse curls
80 lbs x 6,5,5

abs - crunches + hanging leg raises to both sides + planks

Aggression
12-12-08, 10:31 am
Ok .. couple things here bro.

1. How much do you weigh?

2. You should be eating more carbs. From what it looks like, you're only getting about 150-200g carbs/day. Have some good complex carbs at every meal (except maybe your last meal), plus the Torrent post workout.

3. Meal 3 needs a protein source

4. Are you power lifting or bodybuilding?

Angelwrath
12-12-08, 12:49 pm
Ok .. couple things here bro.

1. How much do you weigh?

2. You should be eating more carbs. From what it looks like, you're only getting about 150-200g carbs/day. Have some good complex carbs at every meal (except maybe your last meal), plus the Torrent post workout.

3. Meal 3 needs a protein source

4. Are you power lifting or bodybuilding?

ummm..
1. I'm 231 lbs currently. (@ 14 % bf)

2. Actually I have a very high tendency to put on fat unless I keep a check on it. So I limit my day's carb intake to the first 3 meals .. (the oats, the wheat sandwich and the fruits)

3. Milk ain't good enough ? I have around 1/2 litre milk in meal 3 .. which has around 15 grams of protein. Oh wel,l guess you're right .. should make that 1 litre maybe.

4. Neither. I am just a fitness enthusiast trying to put on more muscle WHILE getting stronger :D (guess I HAVE to get to ABC/DUP someday after all .. hehe)

Thanks for your prompt response brother.

Aggression
12-12-08, 12:56 pm
ummm..
1. I'm 231 lbs currently. (@ 14 % bf)

2. Actually I have a very high tendency to put on fat unless I keep a check on it. So I limit my day's carb intake to the first 3 meals .. (the oats, the wheat sandwich and the fruits)

3. Milk ain't good enough ? I have around 1/2 litre milk in meal 3 .. which has around 15 grams of protein. Oh wel,l guess you're right .. should make that 1 litre maybe.

4. Neither. I am just a fitness enthusiast trying to put on more muscle WHILE getting stronger :D (guess I HAVE to get to ABC/DUP someday after all .. hehe)

Thanks for your prompt response brother.

Personally, I'd do away with milk totally, but I know a LOT of other people would disagree. I'd say you could use milk as an added source of protein along with some meat in that one meal. have like 12oz milk plus about 8oz meat. Other than that, just keep switching up exercises and routines. Keep the same workout split but alternate exercises on a frequent basis. keep the body guessing

Angelwrath
12-12-08, 1:33 pm
Personally, I'd do away with milk totally, but I know a LOT of other people would disagree. I'd say you could use milk as an added source of protein along with some meat in that one meal. have like 12oz milk plus about 8oz meat. Other than that, just keep switching up exercises and routines. Keep the same workout split but alternate exercises on a frequent basis. keep the body guessing

Yepp got ya ..

Angelwrath
12-13-08, 10:41 am
Off day today. Wanted to try out something new for lunch. So cooked up a dish called 'haleem'. It's a traditional Muslim dish that I've seen the Muslims in our area have. So googled up for a recipe and got going.
It's basically mutton + wheat + lentils + a little fat ... basically one power-packed mass gainer's dish.

Tasted nice and was very filling as well. I thought of having this as a part of my daily diet but the preparation time is just too much. You guys might wanna try it out someday and see for yourselves.

Angelwrath
12-14-08, 5:02 am
Off day Sunday.
Eating big, not trying out recipes ( yesterday's 'haleem' got me a little sick.. never trying it again:( ) ..

Just thought of showing you guys how I look :

http://s411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/Mrunmoy/

2 pics in there. One's a year old with me @ 210 lbs .. The other is a recent one with me @ around 230 lbs.

Will post full length poses soon. (Don't have any old full length poses though)

Angelwrath
12-15-08, 4:28 am
Had an incredible workout today. Tried out the FD/FS workout posted by naturalguy somewhere here :

Pre-workout : Didn't have PUMP like I usually do, went for another product, just as good.

Quads FD : (I alternate between front and back squats weekly)

2 warmup sets of leg extensions

1 b/w squat set of 20 reps to get ready for the coming onslaught.

Front Squats : (As ATG as it can get, slow eccentric for FD)
Bar x 10
55 kgs x 12 (weight including bar)
75 kgs x 5 (dropped the weight before I wanted to, lost balance .. Front squats are relatively new to me)
75 kgs x 6 .. nice set

45 deg leg press : I don't use a ton of weight here. High reps, full ROM with slow eccentric (FD phase)
100 kgs x 15
140 kgs x 12
160 kgs x 8

Leg extension : 1 more FD set
Half the stack x 10 reps, squeezing at the top for 3 secs.

That was all FD I gave my quads today.

Moved on to biceps FD :

Barbell curls :
1 warmup set
28 kgs x 10
38 kgs x 9 + 1 half rep
48 kgs x 6 (felt like i cheated too much on this .. didn't like it .. so went for one more)
48 kgs x 4 .. nice reps slow on eccentric
(48 kgs = around 110 pounds)

(Popped in a Nitro at this time)

Incline bench DB curl
15 kgs pair x 10 bicep curl
20 kgs pair x 8 hammer curl
20 kgs pair x 6 hammer curl (both arms at a time for as many as i could followed by a couple of alternating curls)

Preacher bench DB curl, one arm at a time
15 kgs pair to failure
15 kgs pair to failure
used the plate-stack on the machine for cable preacher curls to failure

All sets slow on eccentric, with a slight pause after the squeeze.

Forearms FD :
One arm DB wrist curls
15 kgs x 12
15 kgs x 10

Behind the back barbell wrist curls
48 kgs to failure
48 kgs to failure
48 kgs to failure

FS:
Biceps : 1 set of Double Bi curls on the crossover machine x 25 (don't know the name of this exercise .. but this gives a ridiculous pump)
Forearms : 1 set of DB wrist curls x 20
Quads : 1 set of leg extensions x 20

Was pumped up like crazy ... was a workout that I'd classify as good. Felt awesome after the FS sets.

Post Workout : 2 scoops of Torrent

Total time : 80 minutes. Sweet.

Angelwrath
12-15-08, 4:45 am
Ok .. here are my current stats :

Height : 6'1.5"
Weight : 233 lbs
Biceps : 19" (right) pumped (increase by .5" in the last 1 month)
Chest/lats : 49.5" expanded
Shoulder circumference : 56"
Waist : 35" (From 36" around 2 months ago)
Thighs : 28.5" (Used to be a little more than 29 inches before knee injury)
Calves : 16" right and 16.5" left :(
Neck : 18"

Want to feel as big as possible before I cut :)

Angelwrath
12-16-08, 3:40 am
Remember when I said I "lost my balance" on the front squats ? I actually pulled a middle back muscle there. I had a very severe injury there a few months ago which got me out of gym for quite a while. Don't want to go through that again. So, I'll take it easy lest I re-injure myself.

I have chest/shoulders/tris and abs scheduled for today.

Most I think I can do is cardio + some dips maybe (and maybe something for my medial delts if I can. Let's see .. Wanted to give a good rest to my back last night. So woke up pretty late .. will hit the gym in the evening today.

Aggression
12-16-08, 11:20 am
Take care of that back bro. If you have to, stay outta the gym for a while and heal up. If you keep trying to lift with an injured back, its only going to get worse bro. I wish you the best. Hope you heal up soon.

Angelwrath
12-16-08, 2:17 pm
Take care of that back bro. If you have to, stay outta the gym for a while and heal up. If you keep trying to lift with an injured back, its only going to get worse bro. I wish you the best. Hope you heal up soon.

Thanks brother.. I'm being careful :)

Stayed away from military presses and clean/jerks

Here's what I did :

Pre-workout : Again, not pump, my other pre-WO supp
After warmup :

2 sets of DB flies emphasizing on the stretch at the bottom :
15 kgs x 10, 15kgs x 10, to get the blood rushin in my pecs.

Flat bench Dumbbell presses : (went ahead with this, finding no problems with back)
35 kgs(around 80lbs) pair x 12,8,10 reps (Didn't rest long enough before the 2nd set, so less reps there)

Dips
Bodyweight x 10
45 lbs plate+ x 8,6,5

(skipped military presses completely because of my back)

BB Upright rows
Super-strict form, didn't swing weight, slow on eccentric
45 kgs x 12
55kgs x 9
65 kgs x 7

(Popped a Nitro at this time)

Lateral raises
Didn't do the conventional one, to save my back, apart from a warmup set with a 10kgs pair , seated.
Went on to do one shoulder at a time, leaning away from a post. (Don't know what you call this) Again, super strict form, slow on eccentric
12.5 kgs x 12
15 kgs x 8

Drop set (conventional but strict form)- 20 kgs,15kgs,10kgs,5kgs - 4,4,4,4 reps

Incline Presses
35 kgs pair x 6,6

FS sets :
Cable crossover x 30
Pushups x 20
DB OH press x 20

Abs
Crunches 4 sets, last 2 sets weighted
Hanging leg raises to the side - 2 sets each side.

Post-Workout - 2 scoops of torrent

All in all, a good workout considering my back. Cleans and OH presses will have to wait until next week or the one after that I guess. Back's feeling OK. Didn't strain it at all in the WO, thankfully.
Icing it helps, a LOT !
Tomorrow's an off day, will be good for the back. Hope it heals soon. I got Back and Hams on Thursday. Might just do some active-recovery stuff if back hasn't healed by then. I'm hoping for the best!

Angelwrath
12-16-08, 2:39 pm
Added a couple more pics after tonight's workout :
http://s411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/Mrunmoy/

Angelwrath
12-17-08, 2:12 pm
Nice off day today .. ate well :

1. 2 cups of oats in milk + 3 eggs with Pak
2. Chicken Biryani (Indian speciality - Rice + chicken seasoned with spices)
3. Tuna sandwich with lots of greens +olives + tomatoes
4. 4 eggs + 6 brown breads (Small)
5. 250 grams of Mutton
6. Sustained release protein shake

Only bad thing - finished a full big box of Oreos in the night while watching an episode of Prison Break :(

P.S : @ Aggression - Brother, your tip seems to be helping. Upping my carb intake has me fuller and stronger. THanks !

Aggression
12-17-08, 2:21 pm
Nice off day today .. ate well :

1. 2 cups of oats in milk + 3 eggs with Pak
2. Chicken Biryani (Indian speciality - Rice + chicken seasoned with spices)
3. Tuna sandwich with lots of greens +olives + tomatoes
4. 4 eggs + 6 brown breads (Small)
5. 250 grams of Mutton
6. Sustained release protein shake

Only bad thing - finished a full big box of Oreos in the night while watching an episode of Prison Break :(

P.S : @ Aggression - Brother, your tip seems to be helping. Upping my carb intake has me fuller and stronger. THanks !

No doubt bro. I've been doing this for 4 years and I've only JUST recently got my diet down to almost perfection. Fortunately, the forvm can help people get there a lot faster. The box of oreos was a bad move, but a tasty one haha. If you're bulking, just shrug it off and be sure not to let that happen again. I'm guilty of doing the same thing haha.

Angelwrath
12-18-08, 12:28 pm
No doubt bro. I've been doing this for 4 years and I've only JUST recently got my diet down to almost perfection. Fortunately, the forvm can help people get there a lot faster. The box of oreos was a bad move, but a tasty one haha. If you're bulking, just shrug it off and be sure not to let that happen again. I'm guilty of doing the same thing haha.

Haha .. will do bro ... Actually I'm leaving for my hometown tomorrow and will be there for a couple of weeks. (The gym I hit there is OK, but has a smith machine INSTEAD of a squat/power rack .. sucks I know but I'll make do with front squats, with a better form this time) .. So I'm trying to finish all the food that could go bad in my absence (Oreos wouldn't but like you said, they're tasty :D )

Angelwrath
12-18-08, 12:41 pm
Today's workout

My injurty had me worried about this day in particular. However I think I trained smart and didn't f*** up.

Pullups :
6 sets with absolutely perfect form x 5-6 reps each (Didn't do the jumpy/jerky pullups that I normally do at the end of a set. I weigh 235 lbs at the moment and 5-6 reps are all I can manage) Got a good stretch and back felt good.

No Rows today .. didn't want to aggravate the injury

Deadlifts : I generally do deads first thing on my back days but figured it'd serve me well if I do less weights with better form after my back is ready for them.

Now, I generally do "touch and go" deads (like Ronnie does in his vid if you've seen it). But today I went for the PROPER DEADlifts, letting the weight go dead before lifting it again, thus getting more action from my hams.
5 sets - 5,5,5,3,1 reps (Not to failure) with 70,110,140,160,180 kgs respectively. (180 kgs is about my 5RM)

SLDL - 3 sets x 10,6,5 reps

(Nitro)

A few pump sets with cable rows to get nutrient-rich blood into my injured area and help in the recovery.

Rear delts : 3 sets of bent over lateral raises ( each set followed immediately by bent over rows with the same dumbell with a very wide stance with the arms)

forearms : reverse wrist curls (I normally add stuff for grip strength, but dropped the idea cos of the injury)

1 FS set for hams - 25 reps of leg curls

POST WO : torrent

Stretching.

Contrast shower

Aggression
12-18-08, 12:44 pm
Not bad bro. That's a short, simple, effective workload for back/hams. Keep the weight heavy and controlled and you'll be gaining very nicely.

Angelwrath
12-18-08, 2:43 pm
Not bad bro. That's a short, simple, effective workload for back/hams. Keep the weight heavy and controlled and you'll be gaining very nicely.

Sure thing brother. Thanks !

hvanantwerp
01-09-09, 2:51 am
Hi,

I have subbed to this thread, interested to see how things go forward.

I had an incident with shrugs where I strained my lower back, taken me weeks of careful training to get it back in shape. Hope your is doing better.

Later..

Angelwrath
02-01-09, 12:59 pm
Hi all .. I'm still alive and doing well with my workouts ... but I've been incredibly busy with work of late ... that's how it works here in our company (s/w)... there're phases of extremely taxing workloads .. and then phases of idleness ... could've been better i know .. but it pays well .. so can't complain .. .... -- that and I'm preparing for an interview to get into one of the top MBA colleges in the country ...

so couldn't really find time to sit down and fill the log here ... but anyway, I had been to my hometown for the christmas and had ballooned up to 110 kgs (242 lbs) ... now I've cut down to 107 kgs and I'm taking care not to loose muscle ..

here's a recent pic

http://s411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/Mrunmoy/?action=view&current=DSC00569.jpg

Angelwrath
02-01-09, 1:00 pm
Hi,

I have subbed to this thread, interested to see how things go forward.

I had an incident with shrugs where I strained my lower back, taken me weeks of careful training to get it back in shape. Hope your is doing better.

Later..

Hi hv, sorry about ur back bro. ... yeah I've come clean off my injuries (thank God for that) ... just one tiny ankle injury is all that bothers me now but that too shall pass, I hope ...

good to have u on board bro :)