PDA

View Full Version : BCAA vs EAA

heavyliftin
02-08-07, 6:52 pm
Just a quick question about amino supplements, is a supplement containing lots of EAA's more beneficial, or just a BCAA which has more leucine, valine etc...

JUGGERNAUT
02-08-07, 6:57 pm
I'll put my money on EAA's first then on the BCAA's and Glutamine

Toni69
02-08-07, 7:28 pm
I'll put my money on EAA's first then on the BCAA's and Glutamine

I am so glad I read this after I just bought another BCAA stack! Man..my timing always sucks! Next time I guess.

J-Dawg
02-09-07, 10:52 am
I am so glad I read this after I just bought another BCAA stack! Man..my timing always sucks! Next time I guess.

Toni, I wouldn't get dissapointed over the BCAA Stack... I use this during my workouts. Right afterwards I do EAA's with Storm but during the workout, I like taking a mix of BCAA's and glutamine. Seems to work for me.

Toni69
02-09-07, 12:12 pm
Toni, I wouldn't get dissapointed over the BCAA Stack... I use this during my workouts. Right afterwards I do EAA's with Storm but during the workout, I like taking a mix of BCAA's and glutamine. Seems to work for me.

You always have the right answers for me babe! Thanks! Going to buy me some EAA's...YAY! Why do I get excited over buying supplements? Come to think of it..when was the last time I bought shoes?

RedIron 392
02-09-07, 12:22 pm
I take EAA's and Glutamine durring my workout and BCAA's and Glutamine before bed on workout days. Off days I take BCAA's first thing in the morning and before bed. I would have to say the EAA's are most important becouse if you are missing one EAA your body will break muscle down to get it.

Later

hjayss
02-13-07, 7:55 am
When my packages arrive I get like supper amped T69 we all get that way. I am looking in to those bcaa to they are said to absorb quickly into the muscle and so forth so I wanted to take a crack at them been using amino fuel though of course with all my other supps from animal pak.

redpill
03-20-07, 10:41 pm

Thanks Jdawg, appreciate the post, answered my question perfectly.

Chilli
03-20-07, 11:15 pm
i' say def go with the EAAs. your body needs all of them. and then you can supplement with the BCAAs when necessary on top of that. i take a shot of EAAs 15 before the end of my workout then have my post workout shake. seems to work nice.

TheOak
03-21-07, 12:12 am
Glutamine for me.

never_2_big
03-21-07, 12:27 am
I use this during my workouts. Right afterwards I do EAA's with Storm but during the workout, I like taking a mix of BCAA's and glutamine. Seems to work for me.

i do the same thing, works well, the fast absorbtion of the bcaa's diring the work out keep your body from releasing cortisol during intense work

dyskee
03-21-07, 8:19 am
why don't you just take nitro or nitro g with eaa's ?

Malifik
03-21-07, 11:05 am
both.

take BCAA's glutamine pre and post workout along with EAA's post workout.

mikejones1
03-21-07, 10:52 pm
im on a lil budget here myself and about to buy my first pak of animal supps.

do you all think i should i go with the eea stack or nitro 44 pak? for post workout of course

i know nitro g probly best bet but thats like half the supps for same price as eea stack and nitro.

mikejones1
03-22-07, 10:33 pm
typo, meant eaa stack.

also wouldnt the eaa stack being powder be more beneficial compared to the nitro in pill form?

king1
04-19-07, 4:23 pm
Is taking Nitro really that much better than taking BCAA's alone. I was thinking about ordering BCAA's and glutamine to drink before/during/after workout, or taking nitro just after. I know animal products are great but i cant afford to take them 2 times a day, whereas bulk BCAA's and glutamine i can take 3 times.

Universal Rep
04-19-07, 4:32 pm
Is taking Nitro really that much better than taking BCAA's alone. I was thinking about ordering BCAA's and glutamine to drink before/during/after workout, or taking nitro just after. I know animal products are great but i cant afford to take them 2 times a day, whereas bulk BCAA's and glutamine i can take 3 times.

Why get only three of the EAAs when you can get the other EAAs too? From the literature I've seen, the other EAAs in addition to BCAAs have been shown to benefit lifters. True, Nitro and Nitro G tend to be pricier, but there's also EAA Stack which is more economical. Keep in mind the $33.95 is the retail price, not the price you'd find online:

http://www.universalnutrition.com/store/html/search_results.cfm?KEYWORDS=eaa+stack

Wasteland
07-09-07, 4:17 pm
Thought it would be useful to start a discussion about the pros and cons of BCAAs and EAAs independently and in comparison. Overall, I think both have applications for the strength athlete, depending on the circumstances. Let's use this thread to dispel some of the myths and rumors about amino acid supplementation.

brandonA
07-09-07, 4:24 pm
I was going to ask this question earlier...I would can't wait to read the various opnions...

-B

Wasteland
07-09-07, 4:27 pm
I was going to ask this question earlier...I would can't wait to read the various opnions...

-B

I think this topic can lead to a very productive discussion. I've read much of the literature on both BCAAs and EAAs. From this, I'll make a very general statement--most of the studies on BCAAs in humans were done on endurance athletes. EAA research is a fairly new phenomena, and the human studies have looked specifically at lifters.

brandonA
07-09-07, 4:34 pm
I have been using Brute Force's suggestion found here...

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=6738

I make one glass of green tea, 15oz, nuke for 2 mins, let the bag stipe for 5 or so mins....mix in two scoops of EAA stack and a hand full of ice..I try to do this atlest twice a day..I also try to mix the EAA stack in with my post workout shake...Taste is very intersting with that one.....

-B

Universal Rep
07-09-07, 4:38 pm
I think this topic can lead to a very productive discussion. I've read much of the literature on both BCAAs and EAAs. From this, I'll make a very general statement--most of the studies on BCAAs in humans were done on endurance athletes. EAA research is a fairly new phenomena, and the human studies have looked specifically at lifters.

I tend to agree with ya W. EAAs are probably more applicable for the lifter and BCAAs more for the runners and cyclists. The exception might be bodybuilders who are dieting down. Even then though, EAAs are beneficial...

Northman
07-09-07, 4:57 pm
The way I see it is this, even if you have tons of BCAAs in your system, it won't help if you are missing one of the EAAs.

Wasteland
07-09-07, 5:01 pm
The way I see it is this, even if you have tons of BCAAs in your system, it won't help if you are missing one of the EAAs.

I think it would depend on what you want out of your aminos Stiff. For example, are you talking in general terms about your daily caloric intake or for a specific application such as PWO? Remember, you're also getting aminos (both BCAAs and EAAs) from your diet.

NickSP
07-09-07, 5:14 pm
I'm pretty much agreeing. If you're only looking to stop muscle breakdown, BCAA's is probably the way to go. With lifting you're not just trying to stop breakdown but actually build, so you'll want all the other EAA's too. I posted a while back in a discussion about favorite supp and I went with Nitro. Never bought a BCAA supp and never will. I'm keepin my Nitro pre and post, my third staple along with Pak and Flex.

Wasteland
07-10-07, 9:14 am
I'm pretty much agreeing. If you're only looking to stop muscle breakdown, BCAA's is probably the way to go. With lifting you're not just trying to stop breakdown but actually build, so you'll want all the other EAA's too. I posted a while back in a discussion about favorite supp and I went with Nitro. Never bought a BCAA supp and never will. I'm keepin my Nitro pre and post, my third staple along with Pak and Flex.

I'm not 100% sure I'd agree. Remember, EAAs already contain BCAAs. Not only that, Animal Nitro and Nitro G are rich in the BCAAs. I think the EAAs just give you more overall flexibility than BCAAs.

Northman
07-12-07, 10:08 pm
I think it would depend on what you want out of your aminos Stiff. For example, are you talking in general terms about your daily caloric intake or for a specific application such as PWO? Remember, you're also getting aminos (both BCAAs and EAAs) from your diet.

As EAAs contain BCAAs you already have that base covered. If you are training at the intensity level required to build muscle, you need all the EAAs. I would not want to waste any window of opportunity by not giving my body what it needs to jumpstart recovery. In general terms about my daily caloric intake, I prefer whole foods (beans and fish). When I train with weights, do cardio, or fight train I like to start and finish with something containing EAAs because I want to be sure I am recovered enough for the next day. I would be worried that I am missing that one tiny piece of the puzzle, if I didn't have all the ESSENTIALS. I have found that since I started using them I am able to do more and still wake up less stiff (hence the name). Before I stopped competitively fighting I probably took in 18-24 grams of EAAs a day because of my 3 seperate workouts. I don't know if this answered your questions about my stance on this issue and how I use them.

Wasteland
07-19-07, 11:25 am
As EAAs contain BCAAs you already have that base covered. If you are training at the intensity level required to build muscle, you need all the EAAs. I would not want to waste any window of opportunity by not giving my body what it needs to jumpstart recovery. In general terms about my daily caloric intake, I prefer whole foods (beans and fish). When I train with weights, do cardio, or fight train I like to start and finish with something containing EAAs because I want to be sure I am recovered enough for the next day. I would be worried that I am missing that one tiny piece of the puzzle, if I didn't have all the ESSENTIALS. I have found that since I started using them I am able to do more and still wake up less stiff (hence the name). Before I stopped competitively fighting I probably took in 18-24 grams of EAAs a day because of my 3 seperate workouts. I don't know if this answered your questions about my stance on this issue and how I use them.

Pretty detailed Stiff. I agree with you about BCAAs being covered by the EAAs. You'll get a complete spectrum of EAAs from your whole foods, so that's good. To make a distinction though, in terms of PWO supplements that contain EAAs, they don't necessarily have to be "complete" to do the work.

krazyassmexican
07-19-07, 11:29 am
from what i know bcaa prevents muscle breakdown
and eaa gets you in an anabolic state

i am probably wrong who knows

Universal Rep
07-19-07, 11:45 am
from what i know bcaa prevents muscle breakdown
and eaa gets you in an anabolic state

i am probably wrong who knows

EAAs do both.

brandonA
07-19-07, 11:49 am
I am currently using the EAA stack, powder mix...besides the Nitro and Nitro G, is there another product that could be used for EAA's? I use the stack for the price, taste, and the many differnt ways i can use it...

-B

krazyassmexican
07-19-07, 11:50 am
fuck i better quit using bcaa's and get eaa's hahaha
EAAs do both.

krazyassmexican
07-19-07, 11:54 am
how about using bcaa stak during cardio and nitro post cardio?

Universal Rep
07-19-07, 11:57 am
I am currently using the EAA stack, powder mix...besides the Nitro and Nitro G, is there another product that could be used for EAA's? I use the stack for the price, taste, and the many differnt ways i can use it...

-B

EAA Stack is pretty versatile and more cost-effective. Now if Universal would only launch grape EAA Stack...

brandonA
07-19-07, 11:59 am
EAA Stack is pretty versatile and more cost-effective. Now if Universal would only launch grape EAA Stack...

Grape and a bigger tub....lol...

-B

Universal Rep
07-19-07, 12:00 pm
fuck i better quit using bcaa's and get eaa's hahaha

I'd quit too, but I love the grape BCAA Stack, hahaha...

Universal Rep
07-19-07, 12:01 pm
Grape and a bigger tub....lol...

-B

Bulk EAA Stack? Bulk Torrent? Bulk Nitro G? Will the madness ever end?

krazyassmexican
07-19-07, 12:02 pm
i fuck with the orange one i love it but it's too small

Universal Rep
07-19-07, 12:03 pm
how about using bcaa stak during cardio and nitro post cardio?

Probably overkill K. Pick one or the other. Be sure to focus on post-workout nutrition as well.

brandonA
07-19-07, 12:05 pm

Hey, it's not our fault you guys cook up such great stuff, we cant get enough....lol.....

-B

krazyassmexican
07-19-07, 12:07 pm
i have a shake pre workout
so what can i do to preserve muscle while cardio?
should i take nitro before, during or after cardio? by the way cardio goes after weights
Probably overkill K. Pick one or the other. Be sure to focus on post-workout nutrition as well.

xenrus
07-24-07, 5:03 pm
Confused... :)What conclusion can be made?BCAA is oldschool, which was not taken off the production and was ment to be to prevent catabolism, and EAA's is new stuff which prevents catabolism and spikes anabolism ?Boy o boy , this "choice" thing freaks me out.Every supps are needed and are separeted from another.

BigBlueBear
07-24-07, 8:29 pm
Will the madness ever end?

Only when the "44 pak" discussion ends!

Northman
07-26-07, 11:36 am

Just bulk the EAA stack and Torrent, wee will add our own carbs to make Nitro G.

Universal Rep
07-26-07, 11:38 am
Only when the "44 pak" discussion ends!

Then..... Never??????

Wasteland
08-17-07, 9:17 am
Just a quick question about amino supplements, is a supplement containing lots of EAA's more beneficial, or just a BCAA which has more leucine, valine etc...

Depends on what your goal is, your sport, the application, etc. But in general, I'd say an EAA supplement is far more well rounded than a BCAA supplement.

MassMonster
08-17-07, 9:22 am
what ever happened to the day where it was just a bottle of liquid aminos?

ChandlerXJ
08-17-07, 9:29 am
what ever happened to the day where it was just a bottle of liquid aminos?

At college my roommates called that "liquid baby meat" haha man, good times. I laugh every time I have some. Universal needs a potent liquid Amino blend.

MassMonster
08-17-07, 9:40 am
hahaha yea i miss that stuff... i can only find it from 1 place and i wont touch their stuff ..... but most def.. universal need the liquid for the npstalgic... make it black or white for animal lol.... that be cool Animal Liquid Aminos....

ChandlerXJ
08-17-07, 9:42 am
Yeah ON makes one, and I think Twin Labs.

See, the only reason why they're awesome is that there is like 20 g protein in 2 tablespoons, and loaded with all the EAA and BCAA you need. It's like a miracle supplement.

I think we should see something, 2 Tablespoons, 25 g protein, 30g carbs, generous serving of BCAA, all the ECAA, and glutamine. That would be holy water.

MassMonster
08-17-07, 9:49 am
helll yea every time u pull it otta your gym bag the song from wraths video comes on...lol

ChandlerXJ
08-17-07, 9:53 am
I think there would be a huge demand for something like that. An all around product for during/post workout. You need the past carbs, you need the glutamine, the extra protein is always invited to the party, the BCAAs are crucial!!!!

MassMonster
08-17-07, 10:01 am
yea agreed ...

ChandlerXJ
08-17-07, 10:03 am
Animal Meat.

MassMonster
08-17-07, 10:25 am
hmm maybe...

THE TORNADO
08-19-07, 7:23 pm
I Am Still Kind Of New To This Game Here, And I Wanted To Ask A Question. I Was Told By A Friend That I Should Try Supplementing Bcaa And Essential Amino Acids. I Looked On The Universal Web Page And They Had A Bcaa Powder, An Eaa Powder And Animal Nitro. If I Chose To Take The Powder, Should I Take Both The Bcaa Powder And Eaa Powder???

MassMonster
08-19-07, 7:37 pm
id suggest just taking nitro it has both but if u want powder then yes

Giant Killer
08-19-07, 7:47 pm
With Universal, BCAA is in powder and capsule form, BCAA 2000 capsules which I have used, and BCAA Stack powder, which I recently picked up and are both good. Animal has Nitro (EAA's) in capsules, and Nitro G (EAA's+carbs), in powder.

I would take whatever I could afford, haha.

MassMonster
08-19-07, 8:28 pm
nitro only has eea's???

Tork
08-19-07, 8:45 pm
Hey bro, if you want some advice, take the Nitro, I just bought 2 cans, because that was all that was left out here in the barren desert, but if you can not afford a large can (44 packs) by the smaller can (30 packs). I like the nitro best because you don't have to dose it yourself, it comes in individual packs, 9 pills a pack. 4 red, 5 white. It has both BCAA's and EAA's, and if you think the shit didn't work, you can get your money back, by the Animal Garentee.

Personally, every Animal product I have used has worked. i currently take the pack and nitro. I am seeing bigger gains and more weight than ever before. I would never go to get my money back, this shit is worth it.

Wasteland
08-20-07, 12:18 pm
The answer would largely depend on what why you wanted to use a free form amino acid product. If you're interested for general purposes and you're a dedicated lifter, then I'd go for something like EAA Stack or Animal Nitro.

Wasteland
11-05-07, 1:23 pm
When it comes to free form amino supplements, what do you use? State your case.

For a useful thread on BCAAs & EAAs: http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=8513

NickSP
11-05-07, 2:00 pm
Man you just love this stuff don't you

Universal Rep
11-05-07, 2:01 pm
EAAs for me. Why only get three when you can get more?

Northman
11-05-07, 2:09 pm
EAAs for me. Why only get three when you can get more?

Exactly. Your body can't do much without all of the ESSENTIALS.

adidas
11-05-07, 2:43 pm
why not use a Hydrolyzed whey isolate? get the BCAA's EAA's and a host of other amino's plus it absorbs just as fast as either of the above.

born0withno0soul
11-05-07, 2:44 pm
as long as nitro g is made, it will not be removed from my shelf

Northman
11-05-07, 2:49 pm
why not use a Hydrolyzed whey isolate? get the BCAA's EAA's and a host of other amino's plus it absorbs just as fast as either of the above.

I do use pure hydrolyzed whey post workout, but I use free-form aminos preworkout with creatine and WMS. Free form aminos are shown to have different effects on the body. For example free form leucine and it's anabolic effects.

adidas
11-05-07, 2:57 pm
I do use pure hydrolyzed whey post workout, but I use free-form aminos preworkout with creatine and WMS. Free form aminos are shown to have different effects on the body. For example free form leucine and it's anabolic effects.

di- and tri- amino acid's do basically the same thing. and are also shown to have an increased anabolic effect too. my point is you can get the same effects as either BCAA or EAA here with other amino as well.

U rep pointed out why get 3 when you can get more, i am doing the same here with this statement.

you get more bang for your buck here protein wise.

Northman
11-05-07, 3:02 pm
di- and tri- amino acid's do basically the same thing. and are also shown to have an increased anabolic effect too. my point is you can get the same effects as either BCAA or EAA here with other amino as well.

U rep pointed out why get 3 when you can get more, i am doing the same here with this statement.

you get more bang for your buck here protein wise.

It is a different anabolic effect than the free forms. I cover all my bases.

Wasteland
11-05-07, 3:28 pm

Speed wise, you're right. But it's not just about speed.

adidas
11-05-07, 3:57 pm
It is a different anabolic effect than the free forms. I cover all my bases.

then you might as well take ALL 3 forms then.

BCAA
EAA
and hydro whey

adidas
11-05-07, 3:59 pm
Speed wise, you're right. But it's not just about speed.
yes, i know, and i pointed that out in my other posts here. hydro can do everything the BCAA and EAA's can, and still provide a more well rounded amino profile.

Wasteland
11-05-07, 4:03 pm
yes, i know, and i pointed that out in my other posts here. hydro can do everything the BCAA and EAA's can, and still provide a more well rounded amino profile.

Though perhaps unecessary and uneeded, especially in specific contexts and applications...

Bob
11-05-07, 4:06 pm
I remember checking out the studies when Nitro first came out and seeing some study done comparing EAAs vs whey and why EAAs were better-- can't remember that summary though.
But I'd have to go with EAAs over BCAAs. The studies on EAAs are more convincing than just BCAA esp in terms of protein synthesis and overall anabolism.

adidas
11-05-07, 4:07 pm
Though perhaps unecessary and uneeded, especially in specific contexts and applications...

what the "extra" amino's present in a hydro whey protein?

Wasteland
11-05-07, 4:08 pm
what the "extra" amino's present in a hydro whey protein?

NEAAs--again, in specific contexts and situations.

Northman
11-05-07, 4:09 pm
then you might as well take ALL 3 forms then.

BCAA
EAA
and hydro whey

Ah, but there are BCAAs in EAAs.

Wasteland
11-05-07, 4:09 pm
I remember checking out the studies when Nitro first came out and seeing some study done comparing EAAs vs whey and why EAAs were better-- can't remember that summary though.
But I'd have to go with EAAs over BCAAs. The studies on EAAs are more convincing than just BCAA esp in terms of protein synthesis and overall anabolism.

Thanks Bob. Yes, the issues you raise contextualize my line of reasoning--especially the reference to whey.

adidas
11-05-07, 4:16 pm
Ah, but there are BCAAs in EAAs.

ironically there are also EAA's in hydro whey...

the reasoning was mute there.

adidas
11-05-07, 4:17 pm
Thanks Bob. Yes, the issues you raise contextualize my line of reasoning--especially the reference to whey.

yes but what kind of "whey" was it? most likely not hydro or hell even isolate.

Northman
11-05-07, 4:22 pm
ironically there are also EAA's in hydro whey...

the reasoning was mute there.

Point not mute as even though the aminos in hydrolysed whey are as quickly absorbed they are still "bound" in chains of 2 or 3 aminos together. They exert different effects on the body than the "unbound" free-form aminos do. I stated this before.

adidas
11-05-07, 4:39 pm
Point not mute as even though the aminos in hydrolysed whey are as quickly absorbed they are still "bound" in chains of 2 or 3 aminos together. They exert different effects on the body than the "unbound" free-form aminos do. I stated this before.

yes i know and now we are going around in circles chasing each others tail.

EAA's and Hydro both cause an increase anoblism. although through differnt medium. but at about the same rate of delivery. my point is hydro and EAA will both get the same job accomplished. just that hydro prodives not only EAA but also additional Amino's in a very usable di-/tri- pepride bond

Bob
11-06-07, 2:07 pm
I can't find the source of whey protein used in this study, however the authors concluded that the response of net muscle protein balance to timing of intact protein ingestion does not respond as does that of the combination of free amino acids and carbohydrate: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=16896166&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Another interesting study...
Nonessential amino acids are not necessary to stimulate net muscle protein synthesis in healthy volunteers (perhaps they get in the way?) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=15539275&ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Universal Rep
11-06-07, 2:13 pm
I can't find the source of whey protein used in this study, however the authors concluded that the response of net muscle protein balance to timing of intact protein ingestion does not respond as does that of the combination of free amino acids and carbohydrate: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=16896166&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Nonessential amino acids are not necessary to stimulate net muscle protein synthesis in healthy volunteers (perhaps they get in the way?) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=15539275&ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Great points B... Not only that, if I remember correctly, beyond a certain dose, even too many EAAs become ineffective. A good argument for not overdoing it...

Wasteland
11-27-07, 10:36 am

Some good points Bob.

loiacanoa
11-27-07, 11:35 am

agreed, next order ill get both EAA and BCAA

adidas
11-27-07, 3:51 pm

unfortunetly the 1st article doesnt even disclose the number of test subjects, plus why do a test of whole protein (whey) alone and not with carbs like they did with the EAA's, kind of hard to compare the 2 if you dont atleast use some sort of equal medium between the 2? The second article only used 4 ppl...hard to get a real good solid look at something with a test group of 4. its too small of a test group IMO.

Northman
11-27-07, 11:57 pm
unfortunetly the 1st article doesnt even disclose the number of test subjects, plus why do a test of whole protein (whey) alone and not with carbs like they did with the EAA's, kind of hard to compare the 2 if you dont atleast use some sort of equal medium between the 2? The second article only used 4 ppl...hard to get a real good solid look at something with a test group of 4. its too small of a test group IMO.

Do some more research. You will find lots of studies on the subject showing similar results.

adidas
11-28-07, 7:59 pm
Do some more research. You will find lots of studies on the subject showing similar results.

if ALL the rest of the studies look the same as these than my points are still valid.
small test groups, or undisclosed # of test subjects. Or if there is no equal medium (carbs) means that you can not compare the usefullnes of EAA + carbs vs whey (alone).

Elite
11-28-07, 8:07 pm
Now this is a debate/discussion!!!

Personally my medicine is EAA STACK pre workout, NITRO post, followed by a concoction of 40g Hydro Whey and 4g Leucine with extras...

txpower
12-26-07, 10:52 pm
what's the difference?

pmug0000
12-26-07, 10:57 pm
what's the difference?

BCAA are among the most abundant EAAs. The BCAAs (leucine, iso-leucine, valine) are a 'subgroup' of the EAAs. Therefore an EAA supplement would be more nutritionally comprehensive, but a BCAA supp would be more concentrated. Hope that made sense.

Pizzalamp
12-26-07, 10:57 pm
what's the difference?

BCAA’s are Branched Chain Amino Acids consisting 3 essential amino acids leucine, isoleucine, and valine. They are considered essential amino acids because human beings cannot survive unless these amino acids are present in the diet.
They are called BCAA's because they structurally branch off another chain of atoms instead of forming a line. Together they comprise approx. 1/3 of human muscle tissue. The BCAA's consist of 3 essential amino acids: leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
Studies have shown that BCAA's help to stimulate protein synthesis and inhibit its breakdown, so BCAA's have powerful anabolic and anti-catabolic effects on the body.
BCAA's have a very important role in sports nutrition. If the liver's glycogen stores are depleted during exercise, the body manufactures glucose from other substrates, including proteins & amino acids. The exercising muscle releases BCAA's to be broken down to make the amino acid alanine, which is then transported to the liver for conversion to glucose. BCAA's are unique in that they can also be converted and shuttled directly into energy production in muscle itself. It is essential that the athletes’ diet is supplemented with a protein source rich in BCAA's (i.e. whey protein) to reduce muscle breakdown, maintaining exercise performance and intensity and assist muscle recovery and growth. Therefore, unlike other amino acids, BCAA's provide energy directly to the muscle tissue. In fact during prolonged athletic activity, BCAA's serve as a valuable fuel source - providing as much as 15% of the body's total energy needs. If you do not consume enough BCAA's when needed (i.e. during intense physical activity, illness, or dieting) you may breakdown muscle to liberate BCAA's for more urgent demands in other tissues.
In conclusion BCAA’s have been shown to assist with;
• energy production
• decrease exercise-induced protein degradation and/or muscle enzyme release (which is an indicator of muscle damage)
• muscle growth,
• BCAA supplementation during intense training may help minimize protein degradation and thereby lead to greater gains in FFM (fat free mass).
• and recovery fat burning

Nine amino acids are generally regarded as essential for humans: isoleucine, leucine, lysine, threonine, tryptophan, methionine, histidine, valine and phenylalanine. In addition, the amino acids arginine, cysteine, glycine, glutamine and tyrosine are considered conditionally essential, meaning they are not normally required in the diet, but must be supplied exogenously to specific populations that do not synthesize it in adequate amounts. An example would be with the disease phenylketonuria (PKU). Individuals living with PKU must keep their intake of phenylalanine extremely low to prevent mental retardation and other metabolic complications. However, phenylalanine is the precursor for tyrosine synthesis. Without phenylalanine, tyrosine cannot be made and so tyrosine becomes essential in the diet of PKU patients.

Which amino acids are essential varies from species to species, as different metabolisms are able to synthesize different substances. For instance, taurine (which is not, by strict definition, an amino acid) is essential for cats, but not for dogs. Thus, dog food is not nutritionally sufficient for cats, and taurine is added to commercial cat food when the base ingredients do not meet the requirements of the cat, but not to dog food.

The distinction between essential and non-essential amino acids is somewhat unclear, as some amino acids can be produced from others. The sulfur-containing amino acids, methionine and homocysteine, can be converted into each other but neither can be synthesized de novo in humans. Likewise, cysteine can be made from homocysteine but cannot be synthesized on its own. So, for convenience, sulfur-containing amino acids are sometimes considered a single pool of nutritionally-equivalent amino acids. Likewise arginine, ornithine, and citrulline, which are interconvertible by the urea cycle, are considered a single group

Riesjs
12-27-07, 9:20 am
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=12145&highlight=bcaA

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=8513&highlight=bcaA

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=10784&highlight=bcaA

krazyassmexican
12-27-07, 9:24 am
what are the non essential ones for?

simpleguy
12-27-07, 9:58 am
what are the non essential ones for?

you need them too, it's just that they can be metabolised by the liver
usually in good whole food you find plenty of them too

so it's no reason to say they don't help, they do, the basic rule is to eat a complete protein, but there are also amino acids in other foods...

krazyassmexican
12-27-07, 10:03 am
you need them too, it's just that they can be metabolised by the liver
usually in good whole food you find plenty of them too

so it's no reason to say they don't help, they do, the basic rule is to eat a complete protein, but there are also amino acids in other foods...

never knew what they were for
and the name is weird LOL

MrYates
12-27-07, 11:21 am
I'm not 100% sure I'd agree. Remember, EAAs already contain BCAAs. Not only that, Animal Nitro and Nitro G are rich in the BCAAs. I think the EAAs just give you more overall flexibility than BCAAs.

Whats wrong with doubling up on both BCAAs and EAAs

krazyassmexican
12-27-07, 11:25 am

according to dave palumbo
bcaas are a waste unless you consume them post workout
other than that you should be hangin around with eaas

which is kind of what i do

Wasteland
01-11-08, 2:39 pm
BCAA are among the most abundant EAAs. The BCAAs (leucine, iso-leucine, valine) are a 'subgroup' of the EAAs. Therefore an EAA supplement would be more nutritionally comprehensive, but a BCAA supp would be more concentrated. Hope that made sense.

More "concentrated"? Not sure what this means.

Honestly, BCAAs are great for the aerobic athlete, but the growing body of literature supports of the use of EAAs for the anaerobic athlete. Why goe BCAA when you can have it all?

Wasteland
01-11-08, 2:41 pm

Why would you?

Besides, at a certain point, the value of aminos produce marginal returns at best. Here, I distinguishing the use of free form aminos vs. intact proteins.

RenegadeRows
02-08-08, 8:13 am
been using the BCAA stack (orange) forever. But what is the difference between it and the EAA stack.

Basically, im asking what is the difference between BCAA and EAA?
pardon my stupidity but I really want to know.

krazyassmexican
02-08-08, 8:14 am
Bcaa branch chained aminoacids
EAA essential aminoacids

eaas contain bcaas already

and in my opinion bcaas are only to be taken post workout
eaas can be taken during the day or post workout too

The phrase branched-chain amino acids or BCAA is sometimes used to refer to the amino acids having aliphatic side-chains that are non-linear. These are leucine, isoleucine and valine. The combination of these three essential amino acids make up approximately 1/3 of skeletal muscle in the human body, and play an important role in protein synthesis. BCAA’s are currently used clinically to aid in the recovery of burn victims, as well as for supplementation for strength athletes.

essential amino acid or indispensable amino acid is an amino acid that cannot be synthesized de novo by the organism (usually referring to humans), and therefore must be supplied in the diet.

Northman
02-08-08, 12:13 pm
Bcaa branch chained aminoacids
EAA essential aminoacids

eaas contain bcaas already

and in my opinion bcaas are only to be taken post workout
eaas can be taken during the day or post workout too

The phrase branched-chain amino acids or BCAA is sometimes used to refer to the amino acids having aliphatic side-chains that are non-linear. These are leucine, isoleucine and valine. The combination of these three essential amino acids make up approximately 1/3 of skeletal muscle in the human body, and play an important role in protein synthesis. BCAA’s are currently used clinically to aid in the recovery of burn victims, as well as for supplementation for strength athletes.

essential amino acid or indispensable amino acid is an amino acid that cannot be synthesized de novo by the organism (usually referring to humans), and therefore must be supplied in the diet.

Looks like you get it too. I like this explanation, it should help some people make a more educated decision.

Iron 3
02-24-08, 11:10 am
hey all. Why do all the amino acids have "L-" in front of them (like L-Valine) on amino acid supplement products?
Also, should you still take a separate amino acid supplement when taking Animal Pak, or are they already included?

LHS Monster
02-24-08, 11:55 am
great stuff guys now im thinking about getting some EAA's now

naturalguy
02-24-08, 12:07 pm
hey all. Why do all the amino acids have "L-" in front of them (like L-Valine) on amino acid supplement products?
Also, should you still take a separate amino acid supplement when taking Animal Pak, or are they already included?

The "L" means it's a free form amino, requiring no digestion. Animal Pak has some amino's but most people take additional BCAA or EAA's along with the pack to make sure they get a high enough dose.

kcinnitram91
04-07-08, 5:19 pm
Its the age old question that I can't ever hear enough opinions on. EAA's or BCAA's which one do you prefer? I personally like EAA's and felt my recovery/strength has been better than on BCAA's.

BCent
04-07-08, 5:24 pm
to be honest with you, i like 'em both. ive been lucky enough to get my hands on nitro as well as eaa stack (god damn that watermelon is good). usually swig some eaa during my mornin cardio and the nitra after i lift. workin wonders

SQUAT or DIE!
04-07-08, 5:35 pm
EAA stack... i felt like i recovered faster.. but i havent tried BCAA's.. but i think im gonna try nitro this summer too

TheDarkHalf
04-07-08, 9:19 pm
So how would using EAA Stack and Nitro work? I current take Nitro 15 mins before my workout and 15mins before the end of my workout. Would there be any benefit to switching from Nitro to EAA Stack?

krazyassmexican
04-07-08, 9:21 pm
Its the age old question that I can't ever hear enough opinions on. EAA's or BCAA's which one do you prefer? I personally like EAA's and felt my recovery/strength has been better than on BCAA's.

bcaas in my opinion are great pre and post workout only
for the rest of the day
i go with eaas

MassMan
04-07-08, 9:27 pm
EAA during training
liver tabs throughout the day... never tried bcaa stack... sounds solid.

Northman
04-07-08, 10:21 pm
So how would using EAA Stack and Nitro work? I current take Nitro 15 mins before my workout and 15mins before the end of my workout. Would there be any benefit to switching from Nitro to EAA Stack?

Lower cost and great taste with the EAA Stack.

TheDarkHalf
04-07-08, 10:58 pm
Lower cost and great taste with the EAA Stack.

Damn....wish I would have ran across this last week! Oh well i'll finish up my can of nitro and switch to EAA stack.

pbmiyagi91
05-27-08, 9:18 pm
would it be beneficial to get both stacks and take them simultaneously or no considering there is already bcaas in the eaa stack

J-Dawg
05-29-08, 9:03 am
You could take both, however, if you're supplement with EAAs (e.g., Nitro, EAA Nitro or EAA Stack), you'd already be consuming an ample dose of BCAAs as the BCAAs are also EAAs.
I take EAAs pre- and post-workout and usually sip on some BCAAs during.

RenegadeRows
07-22-08, 6:47 pm
Hey guys... I never usually have this problem because i always go with Nitro, but money is running low so I was kinda confused on the BCAA stak and EAA stak.

Is it the BCAA stack that contains EAAs or is it the EAA stack that replaces BCAAs? If you have to pick a good substitute for nitro that closely resembled nitro (without the nitro price), without any loss of ingredients, which one would you choose between the two?

EDIT: Im thinking it is EAA stack ... can anyone second this for me?

Lunatic001
07-22-08, 6:53 pm
I would go with EAA stack.......it has the EAAs and it taste great....go with watermelon....

Lunatic001

RenegadeRows
07-22-08, 7:35 pm
thanks brah!

I have tried that before... like a watermelon jolly rancher! :D tastes great!

davidr
07-22-08, 7:38 pm
yea i agree go with eaa i take 2 servings with some glutamine and put it in a water/gatorade bottle. I sip on it when i lift.

Universal Rep
07-25-08, 3:26 pm
I would go with EAA stack.......it has the EAAs and it taste great....go with watermelon....

Lunatic001

x2

Watermelon is awesome.

Sphinx
02-24-09, 4:09 pm
Should more importance be placed on one over the other? I've read up information as to what kind of roles both play, and I can't help but feel both are equally important.

And if supplementing with them, when would be a good time to take them, and in what amounts? I mean as in a ratio of 1:1 maybe?

mfl5027
02-24-09, 4:24 pm
Assuming you get enough protein in your diet, you can get away with just using BCAAs. Some of the best times to take them are upon waking, pre-, intra, and post-workout, and before bed. You can take them in between meals too. Most people can't afford/justify taking BCAAs every x hours, so I'd say add 10g to your intra-workout drink (even if it's just water) b/c most people have the other times covered with some kind of food or shake.

Wasteland
02-24-09, 4:35 pm
Should more importance be placed on one over the other? I've read up information as to what kind of roles both play, and I can't help but feel both are equally important.

And if supplementing with them, when would be a good time to take them, and in what amounts? I mean as in a ratio of 1:1 maybe?

Depends on many things, including your goals and your preferences. Start here in this thread as you may find it useful.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=2162&highlight=eaa+bcaa

Sphinx
02-24-09, 5:15 pm
Depends on many things, including your goals and your preferences. Start here in this thread as you may find it useful.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=2162&highlight=eaa+bcaa

From that topic, I've decided to go EAAs over BCAAs, 2:1 and take it while working out and cardio. It'll last right through both, I try not to drink too much while working out.

I know this might be a bit off topic, but what about glutamine? Do the EAAs and BCAAs have any glutamine in them?

mritter3
02-24-09, 5:46 pm
cannot go wrong with mixing them into your intra workout drink and even our post workout drink.........maybe before bed would be another good time........other than that you should be getting all you need through your diet, if not than your not eating enough.

Wasteland
07-17-09, 3:30 pm
From that topic, I've decided to go EAAs over BCAAs, 2:1 and take it while working out and cardio. It'll last right through both, I try not to drink too much while working out.

I know this might be a bit off topic, but what about glutamine? Do the EAAs and BCAAs have any glutamine in them?

Some people swear by glutamine, others think it a waste.