PDA

View Full Version : Back flexibility for the arch

J Wong
10-30-08, 10:05 pm
I've seen powerlifters with crazy arches with their backs for the bench press. Is there any specific ways to increase the flexibility in the back to get a bigger arch?

IRBS
10-31-08, 9:10 am
I've seen powerlifters with crazy arches with their backs for the bench press. Is there any specific ways to increase the flexibility in the back to get a bigger arch?

Start with a small PVC Pipe. Some guys use footballs. Just work on arching hard. It will take time to build. I dont have that good of an arch, but its getting better. My training partner has a pretty sick arch. It took him 3 years to build his to where it is now.

Some people can automatically arch well, others cant....I'm part of the other crowd, HAHA. Just gotta work on it every time your in the gym.

Big Wides
10-31-08, 1:17 pm

Work on the arch at every moment in the bench, from warm-up sets to working sets. As the weight gets heavier you will find a natural arch that will feel good and work towards your advantage. Foam rolls that you get at a crafts store works well and is cheap.

You also want to drive your hips into the bench and shorten the distance between your shoulder blades and ass. Hell even practice this shit on an off day, the more you do it, the more natural it becomes

J Wong
10-31-08, 1:30 pm
Work on the arch at every moment in the bench, from warm-up sets to working sets. As the weight gets heavier you will find a natural arch that will feel good and work towards your advantage. Foam rolls that you get at a crafts store works well and is cheap.

You also want to drive your hips into the bench and shorten the distance between your shoulder blades and ass. Hell even practice this shit on an off day, the more you do it, the more natural it becomes

When you mean driving your hips into the bench, do you mean to lower the arch as you press?

Big Wides
10-31-08, 1:56 pm
When you mean driving your hips into the bench, do you mean to lower the arch as you press?

As your setting up on the bench, before you press get your feet planted on the ground and roll your hips down into the bench, this will help set up the arch. Then once your set-up keep the arch throughout the whole press

IRBS
10-31-08, 2:12 pm
Any easy way to explain the hip position is to try to keep your balls planted on the bench the whole time.

There's vids on you tube describing bench setup that may be helpful.

brandonA
10-31-08, 2:25 pm
As your setting up on the bench, before you press get your feet planted on the ground and roll your hips down into the bench, this will help set up the arch. Then once your set-up keep the arch throughout the whole press

Squeeze you glutes hard here as well. Also you have to work on keeping your whole body tight, wont do any good to get a good arch, if you cant stay tight enough to keep it....

If you want to see the sickest arch ever, youtube Hannah Johnson aka the "Minx"

-B

prowrestler
10-31-08, 7:37 pm
Squeeze you glutes hard here as well. Also you have to work on keeping your whole body tight, wont do any good to get a good arch, if you cant stay tight enough to keep it....

If you want to see the sickest arch ever, youtube Hannah Johnson aka the "Minx"

-B

shes got a great arch

Ronnie Chop
10-31-08, 9:41 pm
what is the purpose of the arch?

mark
11-01-08, 3:21 am
arching is all about hip, ab, and quad flexibility.

The best stretch is the yoga stretch known as the cobra stretch. Also attempt stretches that work on increasing the flexibility of your hip flexers.

prowrestler
11-01-08, 10:13 am
abdominal flexibility and stabability is important too. you do NOT wanna rip the abdominal walls while doing an agressive arch.

prowrestler
11-01-08, 10:13 am
what is the purpose of the arch?

shorten the stroke of the bench press.

mark
11-01-08, 3:04 pm
also, make sure you squeeze your shoulder blades together. after that, try to get it to the point your up on your neck/traps vice laying on you shoulder blades. Then squeeze your lats by trying to get your shoulders as far down the bench as possible. This will greatly shorten your stroke as well make it easier to touch low and recruit your lats.

I guess i should just make a video of this one day so y'all have a visual...