PDA

View Full Version : Decline Bench Alternatives

TheBecoming
10-31-08, 12:35 am
Greetings Everyone,
I began lifting 2 years ago. I started as a pudgy ball of dough weighing 240 pounds and dropped down to 185. With eating clean and lifting I am at 198. I train in my garage with basic dumbells, barbells and my piece of shit flat/incline bench. With this simple set-up and hefting alot of weight I've been able to make alot of progress.
Since I don't have a decline bench, I am not able to obtain the full chest workout that I want. I have been unable to find any lifts that would be a suitable substitute for a basic decline bench press. Can any of you out there give me a hand?

Mizzarler
10-31-08, 12:44 am
dips , i never do decline bench but thats just me

BryanSmash!
10-31-08, 2:19 am
If you're making alot of progress why try and change what you're doing?
Stick with what works until it doesn't, then worry about the other shit man.

sanga
10-31-08, 3:59 am
You could just get a large block of wood and elevate your bench for a decline.

I agree with Dips though, they are great for lower pecs, all of the pecs actually and carve a good line out at the bottom in my experience.

GJN5002
10-31-08, 9:00 am
i dont think decline activates any fibers that flat bench doesnt. I used to do decline all the time but stopped about 6-7 months ago because i feel focusing on incline is way more effective.

IRN-NML
10-31-08, 9:25 am
Reinforcing or building a wood box is one option or get 4 cement blocks and set them to form a box.

Aggression
10-31-08, 9:47 am
Any of those suggestions are good. Dips are probably the best/easy bet tho.

Ronnie Chop
10-31-08, 10:36 pm
DIPS, just make sure you get a little forward lean with it to put more emphasis on your pecs and not so much your tris...

Some guys use chains to get this kind of lean, not just to look hardcore

scals
11-02-08, 8:51 pm
DIPS, just make sure you get a little forward lean with it to put more emphasis on your pecs and not so much your tris...

Some guys use chains to get this kind of lean, not just to look hardcore

x2

JMC
11-03-08, 1:22 pm
dips , i never do decline bench but thats just me

Yeah, I've never been a huge fan of declines either. IMO they're not as essential of a chest excercise as I consider inclines to be. Dips are definitely one of my go-tos though.

joe-yamma
11-03-08, 1:45 pm
Google "Gironda dips" or "Vince Gironda" to get the info on these...
basically, you put your chin to your chest, feet out in front of you, and elbows out.
they focus and will burn the heck out of the lower portion of your pecs.
i suggest a few sets of these after your normal chest workout.

if you don't have the equipment, you can also do push-ups and play with the angle to focus on your lower pec area.