PDA

View Full Version : Good Genetics?

Hybridtheory2o
11-01-08, 1:33 pm
Hey guys im 22 and lately ive been noticing something. When I go to the gym there are a number of guys lifting quite a bit more weight than me some have good forms but most do not. However something I noticed which sparked my curiosity is that none of them really had a build that when you saw them you were like holy shit...like massive arms or chest or squared off shoulders. My friends and family make comments to me about having squared off shoulders and that im thick. I also slacked off from the gym for about 6 months only doing pushups and situps and i would put things in a backpack and curl it when I was downstate working(got a new job so a lot of things changed) my diet was piss poor but im cleaning it up now. I seemed to have lost a little babyfat but also kept a lot of my weight while eating a lot less in portion but numerous times during the day. I started lifting and taking Mstak,pak and whey protien and eating a bit better...its been 2 months on and off but more on now and im 200lbs when I wake up in the morning.

What im curious about is how these guys are all lifting a lot more weight than me and maybe trying harder(not sure how often they are there but i wasnt tehre much for awhile) and i seem to be trying not so hard but my body is reacting way differently..

Could it be because I started working out when I was about 16 so on and off and having periods of length where im on for awhile then off only for a little while..could that have added up to make that difference?

Or do I need to do a little more weight with less reps? Im not sure if I should be happy or frusterated that I look like I can move some heavy weight and then some stick comes up and lifts a lot more than me lol.

My dads side of the family is tall and thin my moms side is tall and big and im 5'9 200lbs at the moment. Not sure whats going on but its peaked my interest because its something ive noticed and I was wondering if you guys had some sort of explanation/tips cuz I would like to be stronger and not only look it but BE it as well.

So any advice would be great..maybe I should do 5-6 rep range on my excersises?

prowrestler
11-01-08, 1:43 pm
Hey guys im 22 and lately ive been noticing something. When I go to the gym there are a number of guys lifting quite a bit more weight than me some have good forms but most do not. However something I noticed which sparked my curiosity is that none of them really had a build that when you saw them you were like holy shit...like massive arms or chest or squared off shoulders. My friends and family make comments to me about having squared off shoulders and that im thick. I also slacked off from the gym for about 6 months only doing pushups and situps and i would put things in a backpack and curl it when I was downstate working(got a new job so a lot of things changed) my diet was piss poor but im cleaning it up now. I seemed to have lost a little babyfat but also kept a lot of my weight while eating a lot less in portion but numerous times during the day. I started lifting and taking Mstak,pak and whey protien and eating a bit better...its been 2 months on and off but more on now and im 200lbs when I wake up in the morning.

What im curious about is how these guys are all lifting a lot more weight than me and maybe trying harder(not sure how often they are there but i wasnt tehre much for awhile) and i seem to be trying not so hard but my body is reacting way differently..

Could it be because I started working out when I was about 16 so on and off and having periods of length where im on for awhile then off only for a little while..could that have added up to make that difference?

Or do I need to do a little more weight with less reps? Im not sure if I should be happy or frusterated that I look like I can move some heavy weight and then some stick comes up and lifts a lot more than me lol.

My dads side of the family is tall and thin my moms side is tall and big and im 5'9 200lbs at the moment. Not sure whats going on but its peaked my interest because its something ive noticed and I was wondering if you guys had some sort of explanation/tips cuz I would like to be stronger and not only look it but BE it as well.

So any advice would be great..maybe I should do 5-6 rep range on my excersises?

consistency

wanna know who's got great genetics? look at the last mr olympia show or hell, any IFBB show.

they ALL bust balls, niver miss meals and give a shit.

takes more then good genetics.

fro strength, simply start lifting big on the big 3 and watch total body strength climb.

AFTazz06
11-01-08, 1:52 pm
I think that it could be good genetics OR it could also be that you know how to work the muscle right without having to move moutains. i remember reading up on a few articles on Arnold's training and how in alot of his excercises he didnt use alot of weight, yet the guy is a bodybuilding legend and his physique is known worldwide. I've always been a strong believer that it doesnt matter how much you can lift but how well you work the muscle. i've been questioning this too, i also see a bunch of guys lifting heavy as soon as they walk into the gym, very few have good form, some have good builds, alot of them are skinny kids who shake and wabble when they try to lift heavy weight who clearly shouldnt be even trying to lift heavy in the first place. I on the other hand, only go heavy on the bench press, military press, pulldowns, shrugs, and a few other excercises, on using dumbbells i rarely go past 50lbs because i loose form. So i prefer to use moderate weight that still gives me a good workout but that i can feel the muscle taking a beating and i can honestly say (and ive been given multiple compliments this year which was very surprising) that ive made huge gains, and i get looked at in the gym all the time and its like i can read their minds, "how in the blue hell does this guy get bigger using not so heavy weight all the time?!" i'm sure it eats them inside, i use that as fuel, not like i'm looking for the spotlight in the gym but maybe i can influence them into changing/correcting their style of lifting. Also i follow a strict nutritional program, ALOT of guys in the gym DO NOT, so that helps me grow too. So my answer is, it could be your genetics, could also be your training, whatever it is, continue doing it and dont be intimidated or curious about the other guys in the gym, everybody's body is different, what works for some might not work for you.

Hybridtheory2o
11-01-08, 2:45 pm
Well that makes sense...I wasnt saying like I think im the shit or something lol I was just curious because I dont use a lot of weight but now that you got me thinking about it I usually concentrate on getting a good pump. My diet is so so right now. It could be better but I do a lot of running around back and forth for my job. Drive 2hrs towards NYC and work 2-4 16hr shifts then I get like 4-8 days off. Its nice but the days you are on its hard because sometimes im in a spot where I dont get much time to eat or really any time to eat a nice meal.

So its gotta be consistency even though ive taken some time off for different reasons I did start when I was 16 and my longest time off was prolly 5 months. So maybe its that and like you said maybe I learned how to work the muscle right. I really dont use that much weight if I dont have to and like you I have caught guys looking at me being like wtf how dos he get like that when im lifting a lot more weight. So I guess ill take it as a compliment and use it as a fuel rather than a shot to the ego cuz I dont anna get hurt trying to lift more than I have to.

Well its time to go train peace

Ir0nClad
11-01-08, 6:53 pm
There's a difference between training for strength and training for mass. If you say that you've been training for a good pump then you've probably been using reps higher than 8. If you want to get your strength up you should focus on mostly compound lifts, such as the bench press, deadlift and squat, and for more strength gains have your reps between 8 -4.

Those guys are stronger than you because mass doesn't equate strength. The best way to stimulate the greatest gains in mass and in strength is to vary your workout reps of 8 - 12 and 8 - 4 every 3 - 4 weeks, otherwise your body will adapt and you'll end up hitting a plateau doing the same routine for too long.