PDA

View Full Version : 8 days rest between muscle groups

Carpe Diem P.T
11-02-08, 3:35 pm
Now 7 days is the average rest period. thats apparently a good guide as to how long it takes for the body to recover from a smashing of one certain muscle group. eg: you train chest on tuesday and hit it again the next.

now often day 7 comes around and its time for me to train chest again for example, and for some disastrous reason i have to leave it til the next day. Anyone know what happens to the body there. Exactly?

I know the extra rest wont hurt it etc etc etc.

What i want to know is the negatives of doing this. In my case I was snot deep in the flu yesterday and knew it would be a half assed session but today i feel pretty good so i will be hitting chest, 8 days later.

sanga
11-02-08, 3:46 pm
You need to go by how you feel mate, if you feel like shit take an extra 1-2 days off then train.

Its not going to make any diference if its 7 or 8 days seriously.

prowrestler
11-02-08, 4:39 pm
8s cool

ionicrod
11-02-08, 4:51 pm
Now 7 days is the average rest period. thats apparently a good guide as to how long it takes for the body to recover from a smashing of one certain muscle group. eg: you train chest on tuesday and hit it again the next.

now often day 7 comes around and its time for me to train chest again for example, and for some disastrous reason i have to leave it til the next day. Anyone know what happens to the body there. Exactly?

I know the extra rest wont hurt it etc etc etc.

What i want to know is the negatives of doing this. In my case I was snot deep in the flu yesterday and knew it would be a half assed session but today i feel pretty good so i will be hitting chest, 8 days later.

haha. dude, there are not negatives to not training a body part if it is too sore to train. if you are not able to train it, then youre not. I do not really go by a set schedule while i am in school, since i am only able to train sporadically. but on the large muscles like, chest, back, and legs, they take a while to recover, if you blast them each and every time you train. shoulders, bis, tris, calves, recover much faster in my experience. listen to your body. if your muscles cant lift it, dont go, or work out another muscle group. remember, your muscles are growing when youre not in the gym.

Carpe Diem P.T
11-02-08, 5:42 pm
Thanks for the replys fellas but thats not what im after.

Im curious to the actual science here.

by day 8 the anabolic stage of the recovery phase should be gradually dwindling.

Just wondering what phase it goes in to next. Any exercise science types here that can answer this one?

geneticphenom
11-02-08, 6:04 pm
You need to go by how you feel mate, if you feel like shit take an extra 1-2 days off then train.

Its not going to make any diference if its 7 or 8 days seriously.

Exactly how I feel,and I have seen gains up to 2 weeks of resting a particular group.Realize that pats get used while working other muscles

Aggression
11-03-08, 11:18 am
I dont know about the science behind it, but training 8 days later won't hinder you at all. Plenty of times, we all have to push a session back another day or two because of uncontrollable factors.

simpleguy
11-03-08, 11:40 am
Thanks for the replys fellas but thats not what im after.

Im curious to the actual science here.

by day 8 the anabolic stage of the recovery phase should be gradually dwindling.

Just wondering what phase it goes in to next. Any exercise science types here that can answer this one?

first of here's how I see it... it's not that after 7 days or 8 exactly you gotta hit that muscle group

think about it... you can hit your legs only a bit so it'll take 3 days to recover or you can have a monster workout (I got some ideas) that will take you 10 days or more to recover... ok so now we established that there's no set time after which something will happen

now getting to that something which you asked about... I'm sure anyone can google it and probably find some scientific answers, however my take on the view is this and it's not scientifical:

say you hit your chest 7 days ago, and it has recovered pretty much... as you probably know, a muscle can' be just recovered or not, it goes through different phases of recovery... especially after weeks on end of getting beat up, some extra days of rest after those 7 could definitely be used by the muscle to fully recover every damaged fiber, maybe also load up on glycogen

after a prolonged period of not being stimulated, the muscle can shrink, particularly if there's not enough protein or overall calories taken in... our bodies don't know we like how our muscles look... if we don't stimulate the muscle to grow, it will eventually, slowly, lose some size... however if that muscle gets stimulated again, it will be easier to grow back to its original size (muscle memory)

Carpe Diem P.T
11-03-08, 3:58 pm
quality answer simpleguy. i guess the extra days off just means it will take that little longer to get to where we want to be.

i just wonder how the strength element is affected. at what rate that drops off whilst the muscle isnt stimulated.