PDA

View Full Version : Should I give this a shot?

Thetasteofink69
11-03-08, 10:44 am
Lately I've noticed I've hit a plateau with my bench.. I still gain size in my chest, but my bench numbers blow.. I was hoping to try a powerlifting sort of program for a short period of time, maybe like 3 weeks.. I know 3 weeks isn't much, but it sounded like a good amount of time, and I also have a can of m-stak I want to use during those 3 weeks

So I found this article.. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/phano53.htm

Just to wrap it up for you guys so you don't have to read the whole thing:

3 warm of sets on flat bench
flat bench: 3x4-6
Incline bench: 1x4-6
Dips: Warmup, then 1x4-6

• Wrest 3-5 minutes between sets
• Only go to positive failure; no forced reps

The fact that it's so low volume is supposed to make a big difference.. According to the article you should be able to slap 40 pounds on your bench in 3 weeks.. We all know there's no way in hell that's actually gonna happen, but what do you guys think of this if I want to add a few pounds to my bench and gain some strength? Or, if anyone has a better routine I could try for 3 weeks, I'd appreciate if you'd post it

Aggression
11-03-08, 11:16 am
Lately I've noticed I've hit a plateau with my bench.. I still gain size in my chest, but my bench numbers blow.. I was hoping to try a powerlifting sort of program for a short period of time, maybe like 3 weeks.. I know 3 weeks isn't much, but it sounded like a good amount of time, and I also have a can of m-stak I want to use during those 3 weeks

The fact that it's so low volume is supposed to make a big difference.. According to the article you should be able to slap 40 pounds on your bench in 3 weeks.. We all know there's no way in hell that's actually gonna happen, but what do you guys think of this if I want to add a few pounds to my bench and gain some strength? Or, if anyone has a better routine I could try for 3 weeks, I'd appreciate if you'd post it

To me, it doesn't seem this program would do much at all, let alone 40lbs extra onto your bench. You can give it a shot and see what happens though. I follow DC training principles, which consists of low volume as well, really only having 1 overall set involving 2 rest-pause phases for a bodypart. I've responded very well to it. Usually its just a simple change in something like volume, sets, or reps that can help you past a plateau.

Steelman69
11-03-08, 4:22 pm

What are you doing now? What exercises, weights, and reps ect.?

Thetasteofink69
11-04-08, 5:27 pm
My current routine looks something like this.. I'm gonna change it up soon, but I was really hoping to find a powerlifting type routine that I could try out for a few weeks, if that's possible

Flat bench: 4x5-10
Incline Dumbell: 4x8-12
Pec Dec: 3x8-12
Dips: 3x8-10

Littlefry
11-04-08, 10:14 pm
If your stuck on a bench plateau what Ive found works for me is 5x5 and those increases of 2.5% increments per week, it does seem like much but in time it adds up. I have added 30+ pounds to my bench and 50+ pounds to my squat in like 12 weeks with ease and Iam about to run another cycle of 5x5, to add more strenght.

Thetasteofink69
11-04-08, 10:22 pm
Yea I actually just started a partial 5x5 program.. I'm just doing my 4 major lifts 5x5 style, but I wanted to try something different for my chest because my bench sucks.. I'm really not even sure why I just started 5x5 because I'm cutting, but whatever

Do you do the full 5x5 program where its like squat twice a week and what not? I didn't really like the full 5x5 so I just added it to my major lifts

Littlefry
11-04-08, 10:25 pm
I do madcows intremdiate 5x5, and follow it to a "T" and dont f**k with a single thing. Ive been running it for like a year with 4 week deloads here and there and it has worked wonders. Im just coming off a deload then Im about to run it again.

Aggression
11-05-08, 11:02 am
Yea I actually just started a partial 5x5 program.. I'm just doing my 4 major lifts 5x5 style, but I wanted to try something different for my chest because my bench sucks.. I'm really not even sure why I just started 5x5 because I'm cutting, but whatever

Dude, if you're cutting, you're obviously decreasing your total calories. So it's going to be hard to add some weight to your bench. If you want to jack up your bench, get on a diet that will add some more mass to your body.

Thetasteofink69
11-05-08, 12:04 pm
I know bro.. I just started cutting though, and my bench plateaued awhile ago.. I'm trying to find a routine for my next bulk