PDA

View Full Version : SetPRsDrinkPBRs

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42]

Aggression
12-28-17, 8:04 pm
THAT'S EXCITING!!!! How far along is she??? They may want to induce her if it's close to full term!

Very cool of your sergeant.

She's due on 12/30. So it's legit any time now!

Aggression
01-02-18, 4:17 pm
Hit a 405 paused squat double. I'd say it was a PR, but I won't. Can't remember the last time I did a heavy double, paused. So this is the first official ''number'', therefore I can't PR a non-existent number. I'll try to smash 410 next time around.

Altered Beast
01-03-18, 1:12 pm
Hit a 405 paused squat double. I'd say it was a PR, but I won't. Can't remember the last time I did a heavy double, paused. So this is the first official ''number'', therefore I can't PR a non-existent number. I'll try to smash 410 next time around.

Those are the best PR's to hit! Now you have a reference point.

Aggression
01-17-18, 12:50 pm
I am officially a father. On Friday, January 5, 2018, at 5:58pm, Adam Jr. was born at 8lbs, 13oz. Its been a wild ride these last two weeks. Fortunately, I get family leave with my job. I get a total of 8 weeks off. As of this Friday, I'll have 4 left. The wife is the same. So it helps big time in that area. The wife and I have already found a decent rhythm. The biggest benefit is the fact that both sets of our parents, all 4 of them are retired and live less than 2 miles from us. Additionally, for all 4, it is their first grandkid. So anyone who has a kid knows how beneficial that is. We haven't had a day all to ourselves yet b/c everyone keeps stopping by to see him, which is great for us b/c it allows us to get some things done.

Still training. With our time off, I am actually able to train more consistently now that I have in the last 4 years. Going to use that to my advantage. Looking at another meet at the end of February, another one of my gym's backyard meets. We will see. I will start prepping for it on Friday, but there are a lot of variables now. So I'll take it in stride.

smoothballer
01-19-18, 10:50 am
Congrats brother!

Aggression
02-11-18, 10:47 am
Been training rather consistently over the last two months. I've been home with the wife for the last 7 weeks on Family Leave with our kid, so I'd been able to train at my leisure. Hit a few PRs, increased weight on shit, but my joints are hurting right now. Been pushing it pretty hard over the last several months. Competed in November but rested up a few days and then back at it hard and heavy. Gonna take a week or two to rest up completely and/or do some light bodybuilding stuff to the get the body back on track. Feeling good though

Aggression
02-18-18, 2:38 pm
Went up to the U HQ last week and pulled a deadlift PR of 530lbs. You can find that in my IG. Felt great. Long, hard fight, but it went up. Taking a little time off now, at least from the grueling PL workouts. My shit hurts. And by shit, I mean my whole body. I feel that all my hard training culminated with that 530lb press. For years, I tried and tried to pull 500+ to no avail. And in the last 10 months or so, I've begun using 500lbs in training with block pulls and deficits and then I pulled 530. That is huge to me. With everything else hurting and me starting back to work tomorrow after 8 weeks off, I'm giving my body a break. I'll still be working out, but more of a BB'er style for the next month or so. Once fresh, its right back at it. Just need to ''coast'' for a minute.

Altered Beast
02-19-18, 11:39 am
Gotta listen to your body! Nice PR.

JohnJewett
02-21-18, 5:58 pm
Went up to the U HQ last week and pulled a deadlift PR of 530lbs. You can find that in my IG. Felt great. Long, hard fight, but it went up. Taking a little time off now, at least from the grueling PL workouts. My shit hurts. And by shit, I mean my whole body. I feel that all my hard training culminated with that 530lb press. For years, I tried and tried to pull 500+ to no avail. And in the last 10 months or so, I've begun using 500lbs in training with block pulls and deficits and then I pulled 530. That is huge to me. With everything else hurting and me starting back to work tomorrow after 8 weeks off, I'm giving my body a break. I'll still be working out, but more of a BB'er style for the next month or so. Once fresh, its right back at it. Just need to ''coast'' for a minute.

Nice PR buddy!

Aggression
06-17-18, 1:16 pm
Still here. Still training. Believe it or not, I've actually switched gears a bit to a more bodybuilding-esque training. Never thought I'd say that again! I'm still doing the power lifts. I'm actually doing the 5/3/1, hitting the main lifts for the required reps. Once the main work is done, I'm bodybuilding. Call it the 5/3/1 bodybuilding template. And I'm trying to drop a few, mainly as a mental test for me. I haven't done any ''real'' dieting in a few years, aside from cleaning it up here and there. Now, with a kid in tow and a full work schedule, why not add extra stressors to the list and diet? I like to do dumb shit, haha. We will see what happens. I've also joined a "globo-gym" that is about 2 miles from my house. Can't really do any legit PL'ing stuff there, but in a pinch, I can easily get in there for a solid BB type workout. Worse case scenario I do manage the minimal reps with the bench, squat or dead. Just truckin'.

Altered Beast
06-18-18, 12:34 pm
Still here. Still training. Believe it or not, I've actually switched gears a bit to a more bodybuilding-esque training. Never thought I'd say that again! I'm still doing the power lifts. I'm actually doing the 5/3/1, hitting the main lifts for the required reps. Once the main work is done, I'm bodybuilding. Call it the 5/3/1 bodybuilding template. And I'm trying to drop a few, mainly as a mental test for me. I haven't done any ''real'' dieting in a few years, aside from cleaning it up here and there. Now, with a kid in tow and a full work schedule, why not add extra stressors to the list and diet? I like to do dumb shit, haha. We will see what happens. I've also joined a "globo-gym" that is about 2 miles from my house. Can't really do any legit PL'ing stuff there, but in a pinch, I can easily get in there for a solid BB type workout. Worse case scenario I do manage the minimal reps with the bench, squat or dead. Just truckin'.

Funny how your career, family and life in general interferes with training =) it's supposed to be a stress reliever, right?? LOL!!!!!!

MRmichael.hooker
06-18-18, 3:52 pm
Hey man, question for ya. I know in the past you've used the slingshot for bench training and was curious if you liked it and thought it actually benefited your bench? Obviously with the goal being powerlifting.

Aggression
06-24-18, 11:28 am
Funny how your career, family and life in general interferes with training =) it's supposed to be a stress reliever, right?? LOL!!!!!!

Yup! Still a good stress reliever. It's just doesn't take priority at this point. And that's how I want it. I'm still training hard. But it's not "my life".

Hey man, question for ya. I know in the past you've used the slingshot for bench training and was curious if you liked it and thought it actually benefited your bench? Obviously with the goal being powerlifting.

Yup. I've used it plenty of times. I think they say it looses it's "pop", after 6-12 months and you need a new one. But I've had the same one for like 8 years haha. It's great for overload work. I generally only use it prior to a meet, throwing on 100-110% of my 1RM for sets of singles to mentally prepare for the heavy weight. For that purpose, it's great.

MRmichael.hooker
06-25-18, 10:02 am
Yup. I've used it plenty of times. I think they say it looses it's "pop", after 6-12 months and you need a new one. But I've had the same one for like 8 years haha. It's great for overload work. I generally only use it prior to a meet, throwing on 100-110% of my 1RM for sets of singles to mentally prepare for the heavy weight. For that purpose, it's great.

Awesome, thanks. I've been looking at different things to add to my training. I go to a great local gym, but it's more of a 'commercial' gym. Definitely not geared towards powerlifting/strongman/athletic training. So I bought my own bands and bought an Ohio power bar for the gym (that I'll take if I ever leave). Figured a sling shot would be something easy enough to throw in my gym bag and could add another tool to my training. A lot easier than carrying around chains or blocks or etc lol.

Altered Beast
06-25-18, 12:51 pm

Not sure why I never though to do this! LOL!!!!!!!! Have had Slangers for years and years too...

Aggression
06-27-18, 12:15 pm
Not sure why I never though to do this! LOL!!!!!!!! Have had Slangers for years and years too...

Try it next time. It really helps the mental aspect. Holding a PR weight in your hands and pressing it for a few singles (even with the help of a slingshot) definitely helps prepare me.

Altered Beast
06-28-18, 11:22 am
Try it next time. It really helps the mental aspect. Holding a PR weight in your hands and pressing it for a few singles (even with the help of a slingshot) definitely helps prepare me.

I will most definitely give this a shot in future training cycles. Thanks!

MRmichael.hooker
07-09-18, 2:58 pm

Mine will be delivered tomorrow, which also happens to be bench work. Ready to test her out some

Aggression
08-03-18, 10:01 am
Training has been pretty consistent. I've been hitting the weights roughly 3x per week. With the little duke, its harder to get there than it used to be. However, my wife is a teacher, so she's been off of work since late June. She bartends two days a week in the summer, so that allows me to hit the gym a bit more. I also signed up to my local globo-gym, which is a mere 2 miles from my house. Sure, I can't rig up banded box squats or a bench press against chains, but I can easily get some legit/straight raw work in. Lately, I've been doing mostly conjugate training. My speed work is straight raw weight, which is OK for now. I still up hit Pure Focus for my "bigger" days. Couple good workouts lately; I hit a 405 beltless squat, which was probably the biggest PR to date, specifically b/c I'm usually a little weary of throwing 405 on the bar WITH a belt, let alone beltless. So that simply means that I'm progressing. Also hit a big block pull, pulling 520 for an easy 5lb PR. Bench is starting to finally move, after a while of being stagnant. I moved my grip out a bit and that tiny adjustment has made my bench press feel that much better. I plan to take small jumps up to an attempted max out soon, just to see where I'm at.

I plan to compete again in November, the RPS Autumn Apocalypse. So I have another month or so of training before I starting prepping/peaking for the meet. Just gonna keep the muscles working and doing my thing for now. And then once peaking starts, its another level of intensity/motivation.

Altered Beast
08-03-18, 11:43 am
Good to see you still kickin, Troopa! Glad to hear the little one is doing well.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan! Makin me look bad over here! I need to compete! Will be next year for me, Fall is ALWAYS stupid busy.