PDA

View Full Version : Question about the packs..why ALA?

redskin 344
11-03-08, 5:06 pm
Ive noticed from looking at the ingredients and nutrients that the packs contain and I am wondering why the fatty acids used are ALA?
ALA is converted to EPA/DHA anyway which the body has a hard time doing and EPA/DHA are the real omega3 fatty acids that create the many incredible benfits for the human body and mind.
What is the big deal with ALA. All the benefits that omega 3 has in general are actually from the EPA/DHA, right?

The only pack that contains epa/dha is the animal Omega which is intended to have all the efas.

Giant Killer
11-03-08, 5:47 pm
Are you confusing it with LINOLEIC Acid in the EFA blend?

The pack includes ALA in the Performance Optimizers blend:

Role in Energy Production:

Among its primary function in the body, where it is converted into lipoamide, is to activate enzymes that handle energy producing molecules, such as pyruvate, and to break down products from amino acids.* Basically, ALA helps us collect energy and nutrients from the food we eat.* The body needs ALA to produce energy.* It plays a crucial role in the mitochondria, the energy-producing structures in cells.*

Role as a Powerful Antioxidant:

This compound acts as an antioxidant, however, only when there is an excess of it and it is in the "free" state in the cells.* But there is little free ALA circulating in your body, unless you consume supplements or get it injected. Foods contain only tiny amounts of it. What makes ALA special as an antioxidant is its versatility; it helps deactivate an unusually wide array of cell-damaging free radicals in many bodily systems.*
from bb.com ALA facts

redskin 344
11-03-08, 6:54 pm
Are you confusing it with LINOLEIC Acid in the EFA blend?

The pack includes ALA in the Performance Optimizers blend:

Role in Energy Production:

Role as a Powerful Antioxidant:

I might be confusing it with linoleic acid.

If I'm not, isnt the main role of ALA the basic omega 3 fatty acids role to convert into epa/dha anyways. Why not just take fish oil, or is it better to have a variety of omega 3 fatty acids.

Giant Killer
11-03-08, 8:34 pm
I might be confusing it with linoleic acid.

If I'm not, isnt the main role of ALA the basic omega 3 fatty acids role to convert into epa/dha anyways. Why not just take fish oil, or is it better to have a variety of omega 3 fatty acids.

What you are saying is correct- about Alpha LINOLEIC Acid.

What is listed in Pak as ALA is Alpha Lipoic Acid.

Tricky nomenclatures there...

redskin 344
11-03-08, 8:46 pm
What you are saying is correct- about Alpha LINOLEIC Acid.

What is listed in Pak as ALA is Alpha Lipoic Acid.

Tricky nomenclatures there...

O my bad...

but i checked the ingredients in animal flex and it includes flax seed oil for joint lubrication.
Why are flax seeds being used instead of fish oil? I thought fish oil was the real supp. that helped joints, it should be included in animal flex.