PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Meat

GJN5002
11-03-08, 8:12 pm
How long do you think its safe to freeze meat for after the sale by/freeze by date? Im paranoid and always worry about it.

never_2_big
11-03-08, 8:30 pm
doesnt reallt matter how long you freeze it for bro, just make sure when u thaw it you eat it right away... meat does have limits to freezing and that works on the type of meat... think the darker it is the longer it freezes.

just to be safe after it thaws smell it... smells bad its bad!

GJN5002
11-03-08, 9:56 pm
thanks, I froze it begining of october, freeze by date was oct 10. defrosted for one day in the refrigerator then cooked it today.

Cstlfx
11-03-08, 9:58 pm
I think when it get to half a year or more, its time to get rid of it. As long as it was frozen by the sell by date or freeze by date, and it hasnt been numbers of months, then its all good.

GJN5002
11-03-08, 10:02 pm
thanks guys

Aggression
11-04-08, 10:22 am
Ah you're fine. I used to freeze meats for weeks, or even over a month. When london broil would go on sale for $1.81/lb, i'd spend $20-30 on meat and freeze that stuff til I needed it. Never had a problem.

T o m m Y
11-04-08, 10:47 am
Ah you're fine. I used to freeze meats for weeks, or even over a month. When london broil would go on sale for $1.81/lb, i'd spend $20-30 on meat and freeze that stuff til I needed it. Never had a problem.

X2!

LegendKillerJosh
11-04-08, 11:06 am
I've eaten stuff way after the date. A sell by date is just their for the company to avoid trouble if it spoils. As long as it went into the freezer fresh, it is still fresh when it comes out. And if you cook your food to the right temperatures, there is nothing to worry about.

McFly
11-04-08, 11:32 am
i'm eating steaks i bought/froze bake in july...no worries here....

Mike Honcho
11-04-08, 2:51 pm
Ziploc (i think) makes a good vacuum sealer that you can get in most grocery stores for around 8 bucks. Boxes of special bags aren't too bad either, only around 3/4 dollars. I use these to freeze my foods and they work really well. Seems to last longer.

Honcho

TheDarkHalf
11-04-08, 3:01 pm
Frozen meat will stay good for years. My dad is an avid outdoors men, and usually kills at least one deer per season. He has all that meet turned into grind and we throw it in a deep freezer. I've had some deer meat from 08 that my dad killed in 06 and it tasted great.