PDA

View Full Version : Heres one for the little guys in the gym

Achilles
11-03-08, 10:34 pm
Fellas, I'm 5'10" and 155ibs .. (just started back) and today I put up more on a bench than a man younger than me and he had 100ibs on me (245). He struggled to get 205 once and I banged it out 5 times, Granted .. I see him in the gym all the time (5 days a week) and he has no physical disability or a severe weight problem .. I'm just trying to convey to the small guys bigger doesn't always mean stronger. I'm not meaning to brag .. okay .. maybe just a little bit .. but I read on here where the small guys get discouraged. So here is the bottom line boys. It don't matter how big you are, it's how much heart you have .. and how much fire you got in you .. Don't ever limit yourself by your stature .. I wont. I'll see over 315 on the bench when I hit 180ibs and that's real-talk

After the fact, I was showing him the form to use and how to control the weight. I kept it totally animal and we joked about it .. I even offered to train him. The whole thing just made me proud and I wanted to brag a little to you titans .. I'm really humble in the gym and I know I have along way to go .. peace bros

sodapop
11-03-08, 10:39 pm
I'd be one of the small guys. Thanks for the motivational talk, man, haha.
Seriously, though, thanks for posting this - being small isn't always fun.

jeff00z28
11-03-08, 10:44 pm
what the scale says means nothing. IE frank mcgrath is bigger than Christopher big black boykins.

Psycho77
11-03-08, 10:45 pm
when we say "little guy" are we talking about heightwise or weightwise. Coz Im just 5'6 so Im a little guy too.

jeff00z28
11-03-08, 10:50 pm
when we say "little guy" are we talking about heightwise or weightwise. Coz Im just 5'6 so Im a little guy too.

also bodyfat and whether the person earned the mass or theyre just a neanderthal. like i know ppl that weight 290 and arent that fat but then they take off their shirt to expose a flat hairy torso

Psycho77
11-03-08, 10:57 pm
also bodyfat and whether the person earned the mass or theyre just a neanderthal. like i know ppl that weight 290 and arent that fat but then they take off their shirt to expose a flat hairy torso

ah, thanks. its official, im a little guy, hahahah

Aggression
11-04-08, 10:14 am
I'm not a little guy as far as I'm concerned (5'10'', 195lbs), but I see what every1 is saying. To me, I wouldn't wanna be this huge thick dude with no strength. Being 250lbs means nothing to me if you aren't at LEAST repping your own weight on the bench.

DASO
11-04-08, 11:45 am
agreed that bigger does not mean stronger but older sure is stronger then younger.

Aggression
11-04-08, 11:48 am
agreed that bigger does not mean stronger but older sure is stronger then younger.

Old man strength haha. Some older men are just nasty strong, never touching a weight.

Psycho77
11-04-08, 7:11 pm
I'm not a little guy as far as I'm concerned (5'10'', 195lbs), but I see what every1 is saying. To me, I wouldn't wanna be this huge thick dude with no strength. Being 250lbs means nothing to me if you aren't at LEAST repping your own weight on the bench.

agreed.

prowrestler
11-05-08, 2:20 am
heres another one for hope.

i started out in the summer of grade 7 at 115lbs soakin wet with 18 inch thighs and 10.5 inch guns..woow!?? honestly.

now i just graduated in summer, so summer of grade 11 and im weighin in solidly at 190lbs at 5 foot 7 and im 17. my arms went from 10.5 to 16 and thighs from 18 to 26.

and by next year, im lookin to be canada's best 18 year old deadlifter in the 220lb class.

we can all do it, genetics are only limits in a limited mind. a smart man can realise genetics can change in circumstances.