PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm not going anywhere

Factory
11-04-08, 8:32 am
Some people would of moved on by now, if you're reading this you probably haven't just like me...

I'm just gonna ramble on in here a bit, let loose some of the shit clogging my brain like cholesterol.

Themostocles
11-04-08, 8:34 am
let loose some of the shit clogging my brain like cholesterol.

LOL, nice simile bro :). -T.

Factory
11-04-08, 8:42 am
Where the fuck would I go?
I'm at home in this house of iron, it's the only place I feel real, the only place I make a mark on the world. It's not the powerful rush of endorphins when you finally break that record on squat, it's the feeling you get when you look in the mirror, when you know that you're in the best shape of your life and you had to plow past 10 plateaus to get there. It took work, yeah, it wasn't easy... If you thought it was gonna be, you need to find a new sport...

Factory
11-04-08, 8:54 am
What the fuck would I do?
This is the only thing I've ever really done, the only thing I've ever done right. This is the only thing I've ever stuck with, besides my word. If I won the lottery tomorrow this is what I'd do. I wouldn't buy a new car, hell I wouldn't rent out a better place.. I'd probably move to a place with a better gym, somewhere warm... I'd rent out a shitty place there too.. I'm not big on appearances... that's funny, coming from someone who's only dream in their life is to be a pro bodybuilder...

Factory
11-04-08, 9:13 am
and I don't want your sympathy... I'm just telling you why I got into this game, and why I'll never quit on it.

My brother played football in high school, he was on his way to making something of himself when I was sitting around playing video games... He worked all summer and bought a bench, not that bush league shit, the same shit you see in Golds, and a Squat cage. Put it down in the basement, and he got fucking huge, he wanted to be a powerlifter... He was juicing and lifting every day he was on a mission... I never looked up to anyone the way I looked up to my older brother, I never really had a dad, he was gone before I was old enough to know who he was, so my older brother was pretty much the only guy I looked up to... one day my brother was benching, repping out weight and his grip slipped, the bar came down and cracked his rib cage and his rib punctured his lung. My brother died about an hour later in the hospital.

This was almost 8 years ago. That kind of shit really fucks you up, but I never went to therapy, a couple years later, Football started, and we were lifting 3+ times a week... and I found the only place I felt alive since my brother died, the weight room. I won't stop, I wouldn't stop for the world...

Aggression
11-04-08, 10:36 am
What the fuck would I do?
This is the only thing I've ever really done, the only thing I've ever done right. This is the only thing I've ever stuck with, besides my word. If I won the lottery tomorrow this is what I'd do. I wouldn't buy a new car, hell I wouldn't rent out a better place.. I'd probably move to a place with a better gym, somewhere warm... I'd rent out a shitty place there too.. I'm not big on appearances... that's funny, coming from someone who's only dream in their life is to be a pro bodybuilder...

I say the same exact thing man. Lottery winnings would go to a decent apartment close to my hometown, with a hardcore gym. I'd live my day as I do now, nothing fancy, nothing different. Appearances ain't a big deal to me either. If i go out, im rocking sweatpants, my animal hoodie and beanie, bc who cares? I care about my appearance come show-time.

Factory
11-05-08, 8:21 am
I go to university, and there's a cafeteria. when someone who doesn't know me sits down with me or my group of friends they always comment on the amount/type of food i have, even when i'm not bulking...
people always have something to say. some random asshole having a talk with me about roids... they gotta point you out and make you look different so everyone overlooks them, sees them, but not their flaws...
it's bullshit, people do it in the gym too, some guys in there squatting 3, 4 plates, whatever, an inch down talking shit to his friend whos repping out weight he can handle.
for me it's just like another shovel of coal in the furnace, it's just another reason to do what others can't

there's this one guy that goes to the same gym as me, guy does arms and shoulders every day, that doesn't phase me, he wants to have huge pipes, whatever floats your boat eh? anyway, I'm doing 1 legged squats with 185 on, and going real deep.

He comes over and is like can i work in with you, i said sure...
guy almost fucking rolls his ankle on the first rep, drops the weight, and is saying how the weights fine he just had a bad rep...
it's happened to me before when i'm not wearing my boots, so i says ok, and we put the weight back up on the pins, he tries it again and goes down maybe an inch and reps it out like 15 times counting the whole way. and then proceeds to tell me how many more then me he did.
I just smiled and nodded.

people don't know when to keep their pie hole shut. it didn't even phase me though, he kinda started working in with me, and I don't mind... the more the merrier.. and i'd rather have an asshole spotting me than no one at all. but i started doing lunges with 75's and was like if my knee doesnt just barely tap the floor I don't count the rep. worked my way up to 90's... he had to go down to 30's, and I was just laughing to myself the whole way.

I don't give a shit if your doing 30's and its a moderate weight or a heavy weight or a light weight for you, just do what you can do, and you don't need to lie to people to make them see you differently...
the way i see it, you lift for 1 of three reasons.
for yourself, maybe you were picked on as a kid, maybe you wanna look better or be stronger... this is a true animal, lifts only because he or she wants to.
for attention from potential guys / girls, hey i still respect your hustle, your doing it to look good and impress some bitties, go for it. just don't interrupt me when i'm deadlifting bro...
to have people see you throwing around big weight, the worst of the worst right here, and I'm not talking about powerlifters, cause there in the game to get stronger, and win comps, not to upstage joe blow over here and make him feel weak.

2 years ago I was doing that kind of shit, doing traps every other day so people could see me with 3, 4, 5 pies on the bar... what did I get? rediculously out of proportion traps... there fucking freakish, and since i'm not really a big guy, they look rediculous... I wish I was doing it with squats, and doing good clean reps, maybe then I wouldn't have to do this bulk i'm doing right now...

i'm done ranting and raving, none of it really has to do with the other, just random shit i was thinking about

sodapop
11-05-08, 8:55 am
I go to university, and there's a cafeteria. when someone who doesn't know me sits down with me or my group of friends they always comment on the amount/type of food i have, even when i'm not bulking...
people always have something to say. some random asshole having a talk with me about roids... they gotta point you out and make you look different so everyone overlooks them, sees them, but not their flaws...
it's bullshit, people do it in the gym too, some guys in there squatting 3, 4 plates, whatever, an inch down talking shit to his friend whos repping out weight he can handle.
for me it's just like another shovel of coal in the furnace, it's just another reason to do what others can't

there's this one guy that goes to the same gym as me, guy does arms and shoulders every day, that doesn't phase me, he wants to have huge pipes, whatever floats your boat eh? anyway, I'm doing 1 legged squats with 185 on, and going real deep.

guy almost fucking rolls his ankle on the first rep, drops the weight, and is saying how the weights fine he just had a bad rep...
it's happened to me before when i'm not wearing my boots, so i says ok, and we put the weight back up on the pins, he tries it again and goes down maybe an inch and reps it out like 15 times counting the whole way. and then proceeds to tell me how many more then me he did.

people don't know when to keep their pie hole shut. it didn't even phase me though, he kinda started working in with me, and I don't mind... the more the merrier.. and i'd rather have an asshole spotting me than no one at all. but i started doing lunges with 75's and was like if my knee doesnt just barely tap the floor I don't count the rep. worked my way up to 90's... he had to go down to 30's, and I was just laughing to myself the whole way.

I don't give a shit if your doing 30's and its a moderate weight or a heavy weight or a light weight for you, just do what you can do, and you don't need to lie to people to make them see you differently...
for yourself, maybe you were picked on as a kid, maybe you wanna look better or be stronger... this is a true animal, lifts only because he or she wants to.
for attention from potential guys / girls, hey i still respect your hustle, your doing it to look good and impress some bitties, go for it. just don't interrupt me when i'm deadlifting bro...
to have people see you throwing around big weight, the worst of the worst right here, and I'm not talking about powerlifters, cause there in the game to get stronger, and win comps, not to upstage joe blow over here and make him feel weak.

2 years ago I was doing that kind of shit, doing traps every other day so people could see me with 3, 4, 5 pies on the bar... what did I get? rediculously out of proportion traps... there fucking freakish, and since i'm not really a big guy, they look rediculous... I wish I was doing it with squats, and doing good clean reps, maybe then I wouldn't have to do this bulk i'm doing right now...

i'm done ranting and raving, none of it really has to do with the other, just random shit i was thinking about

Solid points here, especially the "why you lift" bit.
Lift for yourself, in my opinion.

The Sun
11-06-08, 10:05 am
and I don't want your sympathy... I'm just telling you why I got into this game, and why I'll never quit on it.

My brother played football in high school, he was on his way to making something of himself when I was sitting around playing video games... He worked all summer and bought a bench, not that bush league shit, the same shit you see in Golds, and a Squat cage. Put it down in the basement, and he got fucking huge, he wanted to be a powerlifter... He was juicing and lifting every day he was on a mission... I never looked up to anyone the way I looked up to my older brother, I never really had a dad, he was gone before I was old enough to know who he was, so my older brother was pretty much the only guy I looked up to... one day my brother was benching, repping out weight and his grip slipped, the bar came down and cracked his rib cage and his rib punctured his lung. My brother died about an hour later in the hospital.

This was almost 8 years ago. That kind of shit really fucks you up, but I never went to therapy, a couple years later, Football started, and we were lifting 3+ times a week... and I found the only place I felt alive since my brother died, the weight room. I won't stop, I wouldn't stop for the world...

Not trying to show you any sympathy, but I feel you there.
In for the rest of this. you know I got your back.

Aggression
11-06-08, 10:47 am

I hear you man. My gym in my town isn't too bad. Some clowns, some legits, overall its pretty good. However, my college gym was terrible. There were three cats in my gym who I just wanted to throw a 40lb dumbbell at, and hit them square in the teeth, but like you, i just bit my lip and went about my business.

Guy1: This dude was all about squatting hyoooge weight. Typical loud mouth dude, walks in and just starts talking to the air, rantin and raving about how he needs to get big, etc. He'd hit up the squat rack, and pile on 4,5,6 plates. At first, I thought, ''damn, thats some big weight, lets see how many reps now .. ''. Everyone in the gym, along with myself, stared out of the corner of our eyes as he starting his 'decent' with 495. After seeing one rep, I never watched him squat again. To say his quads were at a 45degree angle at the lowest, would be a understatement. What I hated most was that everyone else in the gym watched him everytime, and asked him loads of advice in between sets. You'd think he was an IFBB pro. What a fu*king clown.

Guy2: Decently build dude, focused on strength more than anything else. First time I saw him in the gym, I had to pull the bar off his chest with 455 on it, bc his 'spotter', who weighed about 120lbs, couldn't get it off. He kept doing heavy weight, benching by just breaking the lockout on his elbows, close grip benching with 405, going down about an inch or two, just rediculous stuff. Tried shoulder pressing the 120's one day, his form was fun to watch on that one.

Guy3: best guy yet. soft, flat, no muscular development, yet everyone asked him for advise (i still to this day never understood why). he would spent 3 hours in the gym, but only workout about 20min worth. most of his gym time was spent checking himself out in all the mirrors around the gym. he'd walk from mirror to mirror, lifting up his shirt to see his abs, pulling a front double bicep. it was funny.

i always wondered why no one ever asked me for advice. not to brag or sound cocky, but i was better build in every way. maybe its because i always wore my animal beanie pulled down low, maybe because i gave off that ''no nonsense'' vibe while i was in there. or maybe, just maybe, the kids wanting advice didnt want to be ''BIG'', rather, they just wanted to get ''arms and a chest''.

Factory
11-06-08, 11:33 am
i always wondered why no one ever asked me for advice. not to brag or sound cocky, but i was better build in every way. maybe its because i always wore my animal beanie pulled down low, maybe because i gave off that ''no nonsense'' vibe while i was in there. or maybe, just maybe, the kids wanting advice didnt want to be ''BIG'', rather, they just wanted to get ''arms and a chest''.

There's one guy like that, everyone asks him for advice and shit, the guy knows absolutely nothing, I was talking to my friend the other day and this guy interrupts me and just enlightens me on how uneducated he is on the subject...

and by the way, the guys arms are bigger than mine, i'm 203lbs, he's 165, guy's got no legs back chest nothing... just a husk with arms..

Aggression
11-06-08, 11:46 am
There's one guy like that, everyone asks him for advice and shit, the guy knows absolutely nothing, I was talking to my friend the other day and this guy interrupts me and just enlightens me on how uneducated he is on the subject...

and by the way, the guys arms are bigger than mine, i'm 203lbs, he's 165, guy's got no legs back chest nothing... just a husk with arms..

Yeah man, I've come to the realization that the reason all the little gym-rats don't ask me, is because they don't want to hear the answer, they don't want to get the freaky physique with rope-like veins and dense muscle. They just want some quick exercises so they can look good at the beach or look good in the club with their tight fitted dress shirts.

Aggression
11-06-08, 11:48 am
Anytime anyone has ever asked me for advice on how to get big, my answer is always: EAT. I tell them that it sucks to hear it, but its the truth, but diet is how u get where u want to be. You can take any supp you want. I also try to tell them that I wasted a lot of time not eating right, and that when I finally corrected my diet, my gains exploded. So what do they do after I tell them diet is most important? I see pics on the internet of them out at clubs getting hammered and eating pizza or a steak sandwich at 4am.

Man I don't even bother anymore.

Machine
11-06-08, 12:16 pm
I think you gentlemen are on the road to something fantastic. I share some of the same sentiments as you...I dont always get to say exactly what I want to...sometimes I cant say certain things because of who I am...and sometimes I wont say certain things because of who I am. So, you see, we are all in this shit together one way or another. Keep on hangin and bangin brothers. Big and small, we are in this fight to the finish...not for the glory...but for the blood, sweat and tears. I was rappin about this type of shit the other with some fellas in a prison exhibition, cats are all the same inside and out. It always amazes me how much we all have in commom, and we dont even know it. Thank you for sharing some valuable insight.-MACHINE

Aggression
11-06-08, 12:51 pm
I think you gentlemen are on the road to something fantastic. I share some of the same sentiments as you...I dont always get to say exactly what I want to...sometimes I cant say certain things because of who I am...and sometimes I wont say certain things because of who I am. So, you see, we are all in this shit together one way or another. Keep on hangin and bangin brothers. Big and small, we are in this fight to the finish...not for the glory...but for the blood, sweat and tears. I was rappin about this type of shit the other with some fellas in a prison exhibition, cats are all the same inside and out. It always amazes me how much we all have in commom, and we dont even know it. Thank you for sharing some valuable insight.-MACHINE

You just gotta keep your head down and keep truckin'. Let your actions speak for themselves. Let the dude squat 495, barely breaking 45degrees when descending, while your next to him, ready to pass out after 10 reps with 225, ass touching your calves. Just keep truckin'. It's when you diet down and compete on stage among other guys with great physiques. It's when you walk off stage with a trophy in your hand that tells people: Man, he knows what he's doing, while the dude squatting 495 is busy nursing a hangover.

wedge
11-06-08, 1:15 pm
Let it out brother. A lot of us on here share the same mindset as what you're putting out. I for one have more respect for the 110 guy putting forth maximum effort and strict form trying to bench the bar then the moron showing off by "repping" 300 lbs an inch down.
That's what I've tried to pass on to friends that I've trained or people I've spotted or helped along the way. The numbers mean nothing to anyone but you.
Leave your ego at the door.

Aggression
11-06-08, 1:19 pm
Leave your ego at the door.

This should be a rule in every gyms membership contracts haha

FireFighter85
11-11-08, 9:47 pm
Anytime anyone has ever asked me for advice on how to get big, my answer is always: EAT. I tell them that it sucks to hear it, but its the truth, but diet is how u get where u want to be. You can take any supp you want. I also try to tell them that I wasted a lot of time not eating right, and that when I finally corrected my diet, my gains exploded. So what do they do after I tell them diet is most important? I see pics on the internet of them out at clubs getting hammered and eating pizza or a steak sandwich at 4am.

Man I don't even bother anymore.

yeah man... nobody likes to hear the "eat right" talk.. I had a guy ask me what supps a take because my wardrobe consists of free shirts that Ive gotten over the years from the arnold... so I must be spending shit loads of money on diff supplements. as soon as I broke into the eating clean speech he lost interest and hasnt asked a question since...

Aggression
11-12-08, 10:05 am
yeah man... nobody likes to hear the "eat right" talk.. I had a guy ask me what supps a take because my wardrobe consists of free shirts that Ive gotten over the years from the arnold... so I must be spending shit loads of money on diff supplements. as soon as I broke into the eating clean speech he lost interest and hasnt asked a question since...

HaHa, been there done that man. They're looking for us to say ''dude, i got jacked up all because i took Product X''. Sorry people, that's not the way it is. The sooner you learn that, the better.

wedge
11-12-08, 10:10 am
Eat, train, eat, sleep. Rinse and repeat.

Aggression
11-12-08, 10:14 am
Eat, train, eat, sleep. Rinse and repeat.

EXACTLY.

Too bad most of the people out there are looking for an easier answer; a quick fix.

Stovall
11-12-08, 10:44 am
My brother in law wanted to get "big arms". Nothing else. I told him that his arms were connected to the rest of his body and if he wanted to work one part he needs to work the rest. I did the easy part and got him started on the right path of lifting and form. Then came the diet. He's a hard gainer so it wasn't easy but he took it really well and that little boy is getting big quick. Made me feel good that someone listens.

Factory
11-12-08, 12:43 pm
A lot of people listen, a lot of people pretend to listen. Sometimes they pretend for your benefit, sometimes they pretend without knowing it.

A pretender is no friend of mine.

I was thinking today about something that I think is hilarious.

I'm in the middle of a bulk right now, and I don't really give a shit if people think I'm fat or skinny or whatever, I'm not doing what I do for anyone else. But I am gaining weight, so I'm also wearing loose baggy clothes. Not the fashionable kind you see some people wearing. I'm talking about 2-4 year old sweats. I don't really care how I look to other people I care about the guy I see in the mirror. I've been gaining a bit, and in my baggy clothes sometimes I look like a bit of a fatass, especially when people see me eating. 2-5 plates piled up. 5lbs of food... People don't understand that underneath the clothes I'm in better shape than them. They don't see what's right in front of them, because they're blinded by the image you choose to show them.
I said what's up to a guy I don't know that well the other day, he didn't recognize me cause in the gym i'm in a stringer tank or a jersey. When I'm out randomly I wear the loose sweats & hoodie. He was like ... bro what the fuck you got shredded... I said thanks, but this is the most BF% i've had in a while... most people don't use their eyes, they don't use their brain.

I'm not going anywhere:
I'm not here because you said I should be. I'm not here to make you happy. I didn't come this far to give up, and I've got more discipline than you can imagine.

The Sun
11-12-08, 2:39 pm
A lot of people listen, a lot of people pretend to listen. Sometimes they pretend for your benefit, sometimes they pretend without knowing it.

A pretender is no friend of mine.

I was thinking today about something that I think is hilarious.

I'm in the middle of a bulk right now, and I don't really give a shit if people think I'm fat or skinny or whatever, I'm not doing what I do for anyone else. But I am gaining weight, so I'm also wearing loose baggy clothes. Not the fashionable kind you see some people wearing. I'm talking about 2-4 year old sweats. I don't really care how I look to other people I care about the guy I see in the mirror. I've been gaining a bit, and in my baggy clothes sometimes I look like a bit of a fatass, especially when people see me eating. 2-5 plates piled up. 5lbs of food... People don't understand that underneath the clothes I'm in better shape than them. They don't see what's right in front of them, because they're blinded by the image you choose to show them.
I said what's up to a guy I don't know that well the other day, he didn't recognize me cause in the gym i'm in a stringer tank or a jersey. When I'm out randomly I wear the loose sweats & hoodie. He was like ... bro what the fuck you got shredded... I said thanks, but this is the most BF% i've had in a while... most people don't use their eyes, they don't use their brain.

I'm not going anywhere:
I'm not here because you said I should be. I'm not here to make you happy. I didn't come this far to give up, and I've got more discipline than you can imagine.
"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need"

"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
"

Fight Club.
Great post man, I feel the same, word by word.

Psycho77
11-14-08, 8:53 am
I like where this is going.....subbed.

Factory
11-19-08, 11:09 am
I am borne. I breath, eat, sleep. This cycle, it keeps me alive. But I am not alive. I am borne at age 16 in a small gym, in the basement of a school where people are made to train, they don't want to train. I wanted to train. I welcomed waking up an hour and a half before school to train there, and hit the showers while other people were asleep on the bus, making their way to school.

I got my first taste at age 16. Four years ago. I am four years old, because for four years I have been alive. My fourth year I am bigger, stronger, leaner.

I was looking through photos I found the other day, and I found a picture of me, a couple years ago. The changes I've made. You probably wouldn't know it was the same person. For me, it's not the glare of the lights, the unmerciful gaze of the judges. It's here, in the weight room. Here in the only place I can truly call a home, that I find peace. For a split second the golden silence between the crash and clang of iron calls out to me, envelops me, reminds me why I go on.

Another reason I'm not going anywhere: It's the only place I feel alive.