PDA

View Full Version : Too little volume?

SelfInflicted
11-04-08, 3:05 pm
I'm trying to create a shorter work out so I can include my cardio while I try to cut down. My current split is

Monday - Legs/abs
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday - Back
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Arms

Currently, I have an hour to work with so I'm trying to keep workouts below 30 minutes. With this in mind I selected 4 different exercises and superset them in pairs. For example, my chest day today will look like this:

BB Bench superset with pushups
3 sets of 8-12

DB Incline Bench superset with cable flies or db flies
3 sets of 8-12

So in total it would be 12 sets of 8-12 in total for chest, is that enough or should I add some more? Most of my work outs look like this atm, but I feel that maybe it is not enough volume. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

TheDarkHalf
11-04-08, 3:07 pm
Why not separate your cardio from your workouts and just do it as soon as your feet hit the floor when you wake up?

prowrestler
11-04-08, 3:15 pm
I'm trying to create a shorter work out so I can include my cardio while I try to cut down. My current split is

Monday - Legs/abs
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday - Back
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Arms

Currently, I have an hour to work with so I'm trying to keep workouts below 30 minutes. With this in mind I selected 4 different exercises and superset them in pairs. For example, my chest day today will look like this:

BB Bench superset with pushups
3 sets of 8-12

DB Incline Bench superset with cable flies or db flies
3 sets of 8-12

So in total it would be 12 sets of 8-12 in total for chest, is that enough or should I add some more? Most of my work outs look like this atm, but I feel that maybe it is not enough volume. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

are your lifts going up?

do you look better in the mirror?

are you bigger when you pull out the tape?

does the scale move up every weeks?

if you answered yes to these questions, you're on the right track.

SelfInflicted
11-04-08, 3:16 pm
I go to school full time and work 40-50 hour weeks. My schedule is pretty brutal and I'm currently only getting 5-6 hours of sleep. I don't think my body can handle getting up another hour - hour 1/2 earlier.

prowrestler
11-04-08, 3:17 pm
I go to school full time and work 40-50 hour weeks. My schedule is pretty brutal and I'm currently only getting 5-6 hours of sleep. I don't think my body can handle getting up another hour - hour 1/2 earlier.

more reason for lower volume

SelfInflicted
11-04-08, 3:17 pm
are your lifts going up?

do you look better in the mirror?

are you bigger when you pull out the tape?

does the scale move up every weeks?

if you answered yes to these questions, you're on the right track.

Haven't gave it a shot yet. Today will be day 1, but I'm not used to such low volume so I figured I'd seek out advice from the more experienced lifters.

prowrestler
11-04-08, 3:19 pm
Haven't gave it a shot yet. Today will be day 1, but I'm not used to such low volume so I figured I'd seek out advice from the more experienced lifters.

its good, make sure its intense though and its a sick method.

focus on using bigger weights each workout in small jumps and it works awsome.

simpleguy
11-04-08, 3:22 pm

guess I'm not that kind of experienced lifter who's seen it all and done it all haha...

but honestly, I respond better to low volume... remember though, max intensity, give it your all, use techniques such as rest-paused sets, drop sets or supersets and you won't need too many sets

SelfInflicted
11-04-08, 3:25 pm
guess I'm not that kind of experienced lifter who's seen it all and done it all haha...

but honestly, I respond better to low volume... remember though, max intensity, give it your all, use techniques such as rest-paused sets, drop sets or supersets and you won't need too many sets

By experienced I mean someone more experienced than myself, which would include a majority of the people here. Honestly, any advice or critique is helpful.

Aggression
11-04-08, 3:32 pm
See how it plays out. I'd def use some heavy weight tho. No point in doing a few sets of chest if your reppin it out for 12-15 reps. Move some heavy weight to keep the muscles working. If you find that its going well after a week or two, stay with it. If not, figure something else out.

jer
11-04-08, 8:01 pm
Have you thought about some H.I.T? (high intensity training)

You don't need volume.

Try some rest pause sets, forced reps, negatives, static holds.
3 exercises, one rest paused set per, with the above. That's all you need.

Look into it.