PDA

View Full Version : Any one tried farmers walks?

Woolsey
11-05-08, 5:44 pm
I'v been needin to bring my forearms up to par with my upper arms n have been doing alot of farmers walks (holding a heavy dumbbell or barbell etc in your hands and walking as far as possible or its just as effective standing still) and my forearms are gettin huge and vascular! has anyone else tried them? i've asked around but most people dont even know what they are!

MojoMike36
11-05-08, 5:49 pm
Deadlifts (no straps), Grip Work, and Heavy DB Step-ups.

DB Step ups are great when you use a weight that challenges your gripping ability because it boils down to a game of endurance.

Cstlfx
11-05-08, 6:12 pm
Yes, I have had them in my workout at one point or another. I also used them to build the calves as well. You need your calves to walk, so if you're walking with heavy weight, it'll work both of them.

Stovall
11-05-08, 6:39 pm
And lucky me gets to ask.........what are DB step ups? I've never heard of them.

zanderfever
11-05-08, 7:11 pm
And lucky me gets to ask.........what are DB step ups? I've never heard of them.

You basically have one bench or something in front of you. You hold a DB in each hand and take a step onto the bench in front of you and stand on it. Then you take a step back and stand on the floor. Repeat as necessary.

shizz702
11-05-08, 7:44 pm
Hell yea farmers walks are awesome!

Firedrake
11-05-08, 8:03 pm
I'v been needin to bring my forearms up to par with my upper arms n have been doing alot of farmers walks (holding a heavy dumbbell or barbell etc in your hands and walking as far as possible or its just as effective standing still) and my forearms are gettin huge and vascular! has anyone else tried them? i've asked around but most people dont even know what they are!

Oh, yeah, Farmer's Walks are great! You can do them with almost anything you can carry one handed, and any time. MojoMike's suggestions are good, too.

If you want to talk techniques and advice, and get input from a lot of others, start yourself a Journey, and post your workouts there. It's a great bunch of folks who are very encouraging, and I'd venture to guess someone there would know every exercise you're likely to try.

BTW, just for the record -- count me envious. I'd love to live in Ireland. My family originally comes from County Kerry.

jeff00z28
11-06-08, 1:37 am
i will be when the new strongman course is done at my gym

Brick By Brick
11-06-08, 2:32 am
Done lots of Farmer's Walks. Good for the traps and the grip, I love em.

Aggression
11-06-08, 10:58 am
I've never done them consistently, but I have done them before. Definitely a good exercise.

Ady
11-07-08, 1:19 pm
Love farmers walks :) great for the grip and i find its a good way to hit those legs after you have finished isolations

prowrestler
11-07-08, 7:42 pm

they are good

newbreed
11-15-08, 7:59 am
I love doing that. Kills the traps, back, and forearms and core. Great to do on occasions.

OverDose
11-16-08, 11:04 pm
i used to do farmer's walks, but i stopped because that brought me to 5 days of heavy lifting and i felt like i was overtraining, they are great but if you do enough deadlifts with no straps you should be fine