PDA

View Full Version : Callouses and straps

staudt
11-05-08, 6:28 pm
I've never used straps or gloves while lifting and usually when i lift my callouses on my palms will rip but only the dead skin, today after i deadlifted, did barbell shrugs, and barbell rows my callouses actually ripped off to the point of bleeding and i couldn't lift anymore. Anyways I guess I was wondering if straps would save my hands on heavy compound movements, and also will they make my grip weaker if I only use them for the really heavy lifts and not use them on biceps?

Stovall
11-05-08, 6:36 pm
I've had the same problem. I use straps on my heaviest rows and deadlifts. My grip seems to be fine but I also work on my grip strength. Other than that I don't use them very much.

staudt
11-05-08, 6:38 pm
alright cool thanks, i think ill just get them for that reason, it pisses me off when i cant even do biceps after back because my grip is so fucked up.

shizz702
11-05-08, 8:03 pm
just file your callouses down every once in a while. The same shit has happened to me before but has since stopped when filing them down.

bovat
11-05-08, 9:23 pm
I've never used straps or gloves while lifting and usually when i lift my callouses on my palms will rip but only the dead skin, today after i deadlifted, did barbell shrugs, and barbell rows my callouses actually ripped off to the point of bleeding and i couldn't lift anymore. Anyways I guess I was wondering if straps would save my hands on heavy compound movements, and also will they make my grip weaker if I only use them for the really heavy lifts and not use them on biceps?

i was using straps while bb shrugging, and i still ripped my callous open and bled all over the place. I dont care about grip strength, not a concern of mine, but i would suggest not using straps until your heaviest lift of an exercise. Id rather work my back on bb rows, then my grip, so i use straps. Otherwise id drop the weight, or use too much bis.

BryanSmash!
11-06-08, 2:23 am

I'd recommend you try chalk before buying straps. If you've been lifting this long without straps, they'll probably feel awkward and cumbersome.

Brick By Brick
11-06-08, 2:30 am
I'm with shizz on shaving your callouses, that works. Get some chalk and some good hand balm like Bag Balm, and take care of your hands. Once you have a good routine going to take care of your palms, callous tears should become more rare, hopefully. I don't think it will hurt your grip too much if you save the straps (if you get some) for accessory work after your DLs, back rows, things of that nature.

Dingo
11-06-08, 9:40 am
as far as teh straps, if our concerned about losing grip strength, you could always do you heavy sets up to as many reps as your grip will allow, once grip fails, strap up and rep out some more. that way, say your shrugging 315lbs but you keep dropping it at 4 because of your grip, yo'd possibly be getting 8-10 and still be working your grip to failure.

JimmyZ
11-06-08, 11:05 am
Third for trimming your callouses. Works wonders. If I don't shave them for a while and on heavy shit, they start to hurt towards the end. After trimming them, they no longer hurt as bad. I mean its manageable but its a nuisence (sp)

pmug0000
11-06-08, 11:11 am

Dude that happens to me every week when I deadlift. Shaving my callouses down and clipping them off doesn't even help, my hands still tear open. I recently learned a little trick that doesn't feel very good, but it'll get you through the workout: use chalk when deadlifting, and then when your callouses tear fill up the raw spots with chalk. It kind of stings but you'll still be able to hang on to the bar.

staudt
11-06-08, 3:09 pm
yeah, i've used chalk before I don't think it helps much with callouses or it would help with the tearing but I guess I could. I don't think I can file my callouses down though it doesn't seem like theres enough to file? But i don't know i haven't tried filing them before

MojoMike36
11-06-08, 7:51 pm
The worst is when you ruin nice healed callouses on a set of deadlifts after your grip starts fading and the bar starts sliding. Its not rare for my not to deadlift on back days when my hands are just too beat up. Of course I still murder my lowerback as best I can.

Giant Killer
11-06-08, 8:37 pm
Straps don't help for the callouses much they will still be there from skin to iron friction. A good pair of gloves would work.

Tiny
11-07-08, 2:25 pm

I only bring them into play AFTER grip failure. When my grip gives up its ghost, then I will turn to straps for the next set, that I can train beyond and am not then limited by grip failure. having said that, it is EXTREMELY difficult (and a long slow process) for a trainer to finally learn how to actually contract his back and/or related target muscle(s) rather than pull with too much secondary involvement. It is my belief that if a person employs straps and such other crutches too early on in his training "career", it is even more difficult to develop an actual feel and mind/muscle connection with the target musculature. You can also try wrapping your wrists rather than using straps - if you desire. If you make a tight fist and then tightly wrap that wrist, you may find you'll need assistance in opening the fingers to get them around the bar - just another, maybe more acceptable means of reinforcing your grip.

Giant Killer
11-07-08, 2:54 pm
You can also try wrapping your wrists rather than using straps - if you desire. If you make a tight fist and then tightly wrap that wrist, you may find you'll need assistance in opening the fingers to get them around the bar - just another, maybe more acceptable means of reinforcing your grip.

Very interesting. Thanks for the tip Tiny!

InkdMuscle
11-07-08, 5:21 pm
i have the same thing with my hands. I use straps only on heavy lifting. i never use gloves it feels like i loose grip with gloves on. I dont know why ur callouse ripp'd and start'd to bleed. maybe because the skin over it is still a lil thin. I use heavy weight all the time and all that happens to me is red hands and palms. as for my grip i have never seen the lack of strenght or grip since i use straps. I notice it helps me when i go heavy and my grip is about to give. but i think you might have to chalk it up to personal preference. I love straps. Especially my ANIMAL straps. gloves i will never touch them.

Tiny
11-07-08, 8:57 pm
i have the same thing with my hands. I use straps only on heavy lifting. i never use gloves it feels like i loose grip with gloves on. I dont know why ur callouse ripp'd and start'd to bleed. maybe because the skin over it is still a lil thin. I use heavy weight all the time and all that happens to me is red hands and palms. as for my grip i have never seen the lack of strenght or grip since i use straps. I notice it helps me when i go heavy and my grip is about to give. but i think you might have to chalk it up to personal preference. I love straps. Especially my ANIMAL straps. gloves i will never touch them.

Uh, huh. Come 'round one of these days and train with me and McVicar, Weston (Powerfreak), Fields, or any of that bunch and you will bleed, my homie. Everybody bleeds. You just ain't wrapped your beaters around a real deadlift bar yet - one MADE for nothin but deadlifting; one that is nice and springy and has deep fucking knurling on it so heavily machined that your flesh rips off before it will slip on that shit. Shit. We keep a spray bottle of bleach on hand.

McFly
11-10-08, 3:47 pm
You just ain't wrapped your beaters around a real deadlift bar yet - one MADE for nothin but deadlifting; one that is nice and springy and has deep fucking knurling on it so heavily machined that your flesh rips off before it will slip on that shit.

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH ......Did a meet a few weeks ago, Big Dog (Gene) supplied a nasty deadlift bar....that shit wasn't slippin

Tiny
11-10-08, 3:57 pm
AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH ......Did a meet a few weeks ago, Big Dog (Gene) supplied a nasty deadlift bar....that shit wasn't slippin

Testify, McFly! Did you bleed, brother?

prowrestler
11-10-08, 4:06 pm
blood,sweat and no tears

mainly blood

Elite
11-10-08, 6:46 pm
I had to start filing my calouses as i was waking every morning with scratches all over my ugly boat race. Guess i rub my face when i sleep, strange. I only use straps when my grip will definately fail me, but compensate with grip work on off days.

Sgt Rock must be shunning this thread like the plague.

McFly
11-11-08, 9:10 am
Testify, McFly! Did you bleed, brother?

do you have to ask? hahaha

shins ripped open on my warm ups!!....luckily Mrs. Fields found some clear packing tape and we taped up my shins so i continue with the meet. once you squeezed that bar you almost had to pry your fingers back off...that mother ain't slippin but the shins were bleedin!