PDA

View Full Version : calf soreness

staudt
11-06-08, 3:15 pm
After not doing calves for only about a week or so I did them again 3 days ago, heres the calf routine i did.
4 plates per side on standing calf raise machine feet and heals together 30 reps pausing at top and bottom
standing on 2 45's with no weight slow 30 reps
standing on ground 30 reps
stretch 30 seconds each leg

4 plates per side toes together heals apart 30 reps
standing on 45's 30 reps
standing on ground 30 reps

same thing as last 2 things but heals together toes apart for last set

I did this 3 days ago and the day after my calves were a little sore but fine, the next day I couldn't even walk flat footed because they were so sore and every time I sat down and then got back up it was really hard to walk, still the same thing today but maybe a little less worse. Is there anything I can do to make the soreness not as bad or is this just because I'm not used to the lactic acid from this type of calf exercise?

simpleguy
11-06-08, 3:45 pm
no worries bro, I used to be sore for up to 5-6 days after a grueling calf workout... reason why I only blast them once a week

there's really not much you can do, maybe some stretches, or light cardio... just make sure to stretch really well during your calf workout

pmug0000
11-06-08, 4:28 pm
no worries bro, I used to be sore for up to 5-6 days after a grueling calf workout... reason why I only blast them once a week

there's really not much you can do, maybe some stretches, or light cardio... just make sure to stretch really well during your calf workout

Yeah I agree stretching 'em out really well and during and after training should help.

JimmyZ
11-06-08, 4:36 pm
I have this problem EVERY time I do standing calf raises. A trainer up at the gym told my partner to roll his calf muscle on something round. Like, take a bat or something to that size and roll your calf on it on the ground, pressing down with your calf muscle. Its a lactic acid build up in your muscle after hard break down. Trust me, it works. Do this a few times and you'll be golden. Atleast until you work them hard again. Just repeat the roll method. I do sometimes have my wife use a rolling pin on the back of my calves while I'm laying down, this helps too.

Aggression
11-07-08, 10:31 am
It just comes with the training bro. Been there, done that. Try stretching hard after a workout, and do a little cardio afterwards to calm them down a bit. I noticed if I did a 5-10min walk on a treadmill after legs, my legs felt a bit better and less restrictive the following days.

JimmyZ
11-07-08, 10:49 am
I'm telling you, roll them on something hard while you are putting pressure on them. You can overcome it. A little pain would be normal but stiffness where it hurts to walk can be helped by rolling them.