PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift vs Squat

redskin 344
11-07-08, 4:19 pm
I know this is an argument that has been disputed over many times, but which would be better for overall gains in size and strength? I know both should be done but I am curious.

I actually hate squats because they require too much form and balance and that ruins the fun of lifting heavy. I LOVE deadlifts because lifting heavy loads off the ground feels great. I also love the fact that both the legs and back are greatly involved in the big movement.

Aggression
11-07-08, 4:23 pm
I know this is an argument that has been disputed over many times, but which would be better for overall gains in size and strength? I know both should be done but I am curious.

I actually hate squats because they require too much form and balance and that ruins the fun of lifting heavy. I LOVE deadlifts because lifting heavy loads off the ground feels great. I also love the fact that both the legs and back are greatly involved in the big movement.

They're both essential to overall development bro. I would venture to say dead-lifts, only because they hit the hams, glutes, entire back, and traps. Squats mainly target overall leg development, lower back, and of course the stabilizer muscles, such as abs. I'm not too sure though bro.

Big Wides
11-07-08, 4:26 pm

Both are essential for overall growth. The release of hormones with these exercises are great and very beneficial. With the squats, learn how to squat, meaning the form of the movement then slowly add weight until it all becomes second nature.

BryanSmash!
11-07-08, 4:30 pm
If you do Trap Bar Deadlifts, you'll get the benefits of both the squat and deadlift, especially if you are taller, or have longer legs and a shorter torso.

zanderfever
11-07-08, 4:31 pm
Squats.

Squats are number 1. They both are complete body exercises, but in terms of growth the Squat is king. Deep, ass to grass squats. The total growth of quads, hams, and glutes is much greater than the ham and glute development that you get from Deads. The motion of the Squat is also double what a Deadlift is, because you have to go down all the way as well as go up all the way.

So for lower body the Squat is undoubtedly the winner of the two. In terms of upper body, the Deadlift is better. The whole back is used with incredible work being done in your lower back, which is also true of Squats because a weak low back cannot take the strain of a heavy bar on your traps. Speaking of traps, Deads will also use your traps and forearms as well. Bi's are necessary so that you don't pull one, so in a way you could split the Deadlift as a mainly upper body movement with some hams and glutes while Squat is a total lower body exercise while also hitting your low back.

Squats are still king because they also will help your dead more than Deads will help your Squats. Squats will work every muscle in a deadlift, with the exception of traps and forearms, but the main pulling muscles (low back, quads, hams, glutes) If you worked your Squat religiously, then your Dead will go up without working it specifically. If you work your dead religiously and not your Squat, your Squat will not go up nearly as much.

Both are undeniably great and necessary. Both destroy your CNS if you go heavy. Both require excellent form.

shizz702
11-07-08, 4:34 pm
As said they are both essential, and obviously two of the most productive exercises you can do.

Though the general consensus is the squat is the king.

Me personally, I like deadlifts more, but never have neglected the squat. I would say the squat is the best leg developer, and the deadlift is the best lower back and core developer.

What it boils down to for the individual is one's structure, those who are typically tall with long arms and legs will make better deadlifters, and those who are shorter with short legs will make better squatters. The best thing to do in my opinion is take advantage of your strengths on whichever better suits you, but at the same time don't neglect your weakness on the other.

redskin 344
11-07-08, 4:36 pm
Both are essential for overall growth. The release of hormones with these exercises are great and very beneficial. With the squats, learn how to squat, meaning the form of the movement then slowly add weight until it all becomes second nature.

If I had to choose to do one for a long time and stick with deadlifts, would that be okay? I really have alot of problems with squats, one being that I end up feeling more pain on my rotator cuffs than my legs and glutes. I'm much more used to deadlifts and the feel of doing them heavy is incredible.

Also it confuses me that when listing the BIG exercises, squats seem to come first in mind and then deadlifts. Is this somewhat similar to the EFA problem of westerners, where the ratio of omega 6 to omege 3 is 30:1. One is being overdone and one is being ignored in a way?

shizz702
11-07-08, 4:41 pm
If I had to choose to do one for a long time and stick with deadlifts, would that be okay? I really have alot of problems with squats, one being that I end up feeling more pain on my rotator cuffs than my legs and glutes. I'm much more used to deadlifts and the feel of doing them heavy is incredible.

Also it confuses me that when listing the BIG exercises, squats seem to come first in mind and then deadlifts. Is this somewhat similar to the EFA problem of westerners, where the ratio of omega 6 to omege 3 is 30:1. One is being overdone and one is being ignored in a way?

You can still make great progress with the deadlift alone, but you're missing out if you neglect the squat. Nothing can reproduce it. I had a hard time getting the form right on them, and hated them for a long time. But since accepting the fact they must be done and getting the form right they have since paid great dividends.

I say man up and squat bro. You got to do them. Nothing else will blow your legs up like them.

Big Wides
11-07-08, 4:46 pm

No it wouldn't be ok, beacuse not only are you missing out on the benefits of the squat you will also create a muscle imbalance in your legs. Which is a cause of pulled muscles, you need to train opposing muscle groups to keep everything squared away and to prevent injury. I can both deadlift and squat a good amount and I know the feeling of ripping the bar off the floor, its fun. But there is nothing like the rush of coming out of the hole with a lot of weight, standing up with it and racking it. Have you tried going wide with your stance or with your hands, that could help with the pain/balance issues you have

zanderfever
11-07-08, 4:46 pm

What may fix the issues with your shoulders would be to hold the bar farther out. Generally, the stress on your shoulders and arms in general will be relieved the further out you go. You can also mess with the placement of the bar on your back. That may help as well.

redskin 344
11-07-08, 4:48 pm
You can still make great progress with the deadlift alone, but you're missing out if you neglect the squat. Nothing can reproduce it. I had a hard time getting the form right on them, and hated them for a long time. But since accepting the fact they must be done and getting the form right they have since paid great dividends.

I say man up and squat bro. You got to do them. Nothing else will blow your legs up like them.

U know whats funny? No One ever mentions the leg press? What ever happened to it? Thats the biggest weighted exercise you can do right? Shouldnt that be incorporated in athletes routines for overall gains as well?

zanderfever
11-07-08, 4:51 pm
U know whats funny? No One ever mentions the leg press? What ever happened to it? Thats the biggest weighted exercise you can do right? Shouldnt that be incorporated in athletes routines for overall gains as well?

I'm sorry, but Leg Press PALES in comparison to the Squat. Leg Press just doesn't cut it. Sure, its great for your quads but pretty much only your quads. But Squats will make EVERYTHING go up, sizewise and strengthwise. Remember something. Weight pushed does not necessarily mean big muscles. Its quality of the reps and the exercise that will get you big. Clean and heavy Squats are the best. Feel free to incorporate Leg Presses since they are a great Quad buider.

redskin 344
11-07-08, 5:01 pm
I'm sorry, but Leg Press PALES in comparison to the Squat. Leg Press just doesn't cut it. Sure, its great for your quads but pretty much only your quads. But Squats will make EVERYTHING go up, sizewise and strengthwise. Remember something. Weight pushed does not necessarily mean big muscles. Its quality of the reps and the exercise that will get you big. Clean and heavy Squats are the best. Feel free to incorporate Leg Presses since they are a great Quad buider.

O alright

I just thought that the heavier you lift the more the hormone is released and the more rush there is throughout your body and since people do the most amount of weight with leg presses, I thought it would do the job.

shizz702
11-07-08, 5:10 pm

No one ever metions the leg press cause it's not even formidable compared the squat. The squat has stood the test of time, is touted as the king of exercises, and will produce strength and mass like no other.

Bro I'm telling you you're short changing yourself it you don't squat. If you don't want to do it I really don't care that's on you, but it would be in your best interest to do it. Though I still give you props for at least deadlifting.

And as far as the leg press goes watch this vid and see what Rippetoe has to say about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFjYyA40ss

Tiny
11-07-08, 5:16 pm

Reality is it is a free world and just approaching a weighted bar and doing either exercise places you in a separate league than most of society. So . . . whose permission do you require and why? What is it you wish to obtain? How far are you looking to go that anyone might suggest your avoidance of one movement or another might limit your outcome? Trying to look like the biggest pros? Then you need to do both and plenty of them and then a bit more. As far as the fish oil issue - i can't say because I do not specifically supplement either whatsoever, and I'm monster huge and powerful.

redskin 344
11-07-08, 5:21 pm
No one ever metions the leg press cause it's not even formidable compared the squat. The squat has stood the test of time, is touted as the king of exercises, and will produce strength and mass like no other.

Bro I'm telling you you're short changing yourself it you don't squat. If you don't want to do it I really don't care that's on you, but it would be in your best interest to do it. Though I still give you props for at least deadlifting.

And as far as the leg press goes watch this vid and see what Rippetoe has to say about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFjYyA40ss

AT LEAST deadlifting.. dude dont say that I love deads lol

but yea I'm probably gonna start to squat soon

shizz702
11-07-08, 6:06 pm
AT LEAST deadlifting.. dude dont say that I love deads lol

but yea I'm probably gonna start to squat soon

Lol I didn't mean any disrepsect to the deadlift bro, shit that is my favorite exercise too and the one I am the strongest in.

What I meant is I respect you for doing them, even though you aren't squatting.

Take it from me though, I am much better at deadlifting than squatting, and am tall as fuck so I have a hard ass time with them, but still do them.

Bottom line the squat can't be denied.

brandonA
11-07-08, 6:11 pm
Squat heavy.......then deadlift heavy.....one right after the other.....and like Tiny said, do a ton, then do more....

-B

prowrestler
11-07-08, 7:46 pm
fuck being politicly correct,

DEADLIFT ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love the deadlift. im built for it but i also love squats.

Ir0nClad
11-07-08, 8:17 pm
The squat is propably my favorite exercise, with the deadlift and bench press both coming in at second.

By going heavy with your legs you force everything else to grow as well.

Tiny
11-07-08, 8:51 pm
fuck, man, last night I did "legs" which of course opens with a lot of ATG squatting, so today I am staggering around as it is, then, tonight, I decided to do "back" - fuck! I did stiff legs also last night, and tonight (of course) I opened with deads - high reps, moderate weight but Jesus, I am one hurting puppy right about now! Arrrggggg!

redskin 344
11-07-08, 9:11 pm
As great as the squat is, the deadlift will always be my #1, my #2 would definately be the brutal overhead press...

I just like deadlifts because not only does do u feel like an animal lifting 3x ur bodyweight off the floor, but the exercise is easy to do as well making it a shitload of fun and addicting. Im gonna find a way to put squats in my routine as well. One thing that both the deadlift and squat have in common are that they both target the strongest muscle in the whole body, the glutes..brutal!

thelunchbox
11-08-08, 12:56 am
I quit dead lifting a few months ago. I was doing pretty good on them and i hurt my back one day and took a break and then tried d lifting a few weeks later hurt back again. I think I have forgot how or something my form is off. I have noticed that my strength has went down in some areas from lack of d lift. Even though I am still training during the week several times

Woolsey
11-08-08, 8:58 am
Has to be the deadlift. It completely fries your hams n glutes n pretty much all of your back. Even quads if you reset after each rep n focus on drivin through your feet. it also strengthens your lower back and forearms which will make you stronger in all other lifts. but squats are definitly better leg developers

Factory
11-08-08, 9:06 am
if your looking for the best overall, i'd have to go with clean and press, but just talking about squat or deads, it depends on the person... for me personally it's deads...

prowrestler
11-08-08, 10:27 am
fuck, man, last night I did "legs" which of course opens with a lot of ATG squatting, so today I am staggering around as it is, then, tonight, I decided to do "back" - fuck! I did stiff legs also last night, and tonight (of course) I opened with deads - high reps, moderate weight but Jesus, I am one hurting puppy right about now! Arrrggggg!

high rep deads! puker session

Tiny
11-09-08, 12:19 pm
high rep deads! puker session

You know it, brother, but that Torrent is all money so you gotta choke that shit back down when it tries to come up.

redskin 344
11-09-08, 2:13 pm
You know it, brother, but that Torrent is all money so you gotta choke that shit back down when it tries to come up.

is torrent actually a product of this site?

zanderfever
11-09-08, 3:48 pm
is torrent actually a product of this site?

Yep. Torrent is made by Universal Nutrition. Universal makes the Animal line as well as other supps under the label "Universal Nutrition"

redskin 344
11-09-08, 7:48 pm
Yep. Torrent is made by Universal Nutrition. Universal makes the Animal line as well as other supps under the label "Universal Nutrition"

thats awesome

Littlefry
11-09-08, 7:56 pm
both deads and squats are a staple in my routine

MojoMike36
11-09-08, 8:04 pm
Deadlifts are boss. Just sooooooo much mass to be had out of this lift. I couldn't get big without it.

Squats have their place! I regret not trying to build strength before mass on my quads. As a result I'm basically going to be stuck in a dead lift plateau until I get my leg strength up to par.

machineman
11-09-08, 10:14 pm
what is this deadlift and squat you speak of??? lol

both a HUGE staple in my routine....err...my routine via shizz!

redskin 344
11-09-08, 10:15 pm
Deadlifts are boss. Just sooooooo much mass to be had out of this lift. I couldn't get big without it.

Squats have their place! I regret not trying to build strength before mass on my quads. As a result I'm basically going to be stuck in a dead lift plateau until I get my leg strength up to par.

I just did deads today 300lbs in 5 reps 4 sets and I couldnt breath afterwards, it was a brutal experience

Yea and honestly I dont really like squats, i think deads are the best. Squats are hard and annoying to do and they hurt the shoulders which just ruins everything for me. PLus theres too much pressure on having perfect form or the exercise isnt worth doing for me, but i;ll try anyway. Still squats are awesome and I wanna try to put them in my routine.

Either way, both exercises work/targert the strongest muscle in the body, the almighty ASS!

zanderfever
11-09-08, 10:24 pm
I just did deads today 300lbs in 5 reps 4 sets and I couldnt breath afterwards, it was a brutal experience

Yea and honestly I dont really like squats, i think deads are the best. Squats are hard and annoying to do and they hurt the shoulders which just ruins everything for me. PLus theres too much pressure on having perfect form or the exercise isnt worth doing for me, but i;ll try anyway. Still squats are awesome and I wanna try to put them in my routine.

Either way, both exercises work/targert the strongest muscle in the body, the almighty ASS!

Haha, I know your pain. I think the most painful experience in my life was 325 x 10 Deadlift set.

Just remember to go A2G. Try to touch your calfs to your hammys.

You should be able to deal with a little pain on your back. If you can do high rep Deads, you can Squat.

prowrestler
11-10-08, 1:19 am

i just tell myself 'only bitches puke"

i never puked in a workout with that mentality. i came close but i keep it down. i got a strong stomach and did all my lifes puking as a child lol!

you gotta try drop set deads man, they'll make you have to drink your beloved torrent a few times before you can call it a day

crazy_rahul
11-10-08, 2:39 pm
I actually hate squats because they require too much form and balance and that ruins the fun of lifting heavy. .

now i think its obvious both are equally good and you cant choose ..
i was of the same opinion as you have mentioned above until last thursday when i realised
i dont hate squat because of anythin..i'm actually scared..and i havent done it for a while
now so i wont lift as much on it as compared to my other lifts

but i read some articles here before leavin for gym..squat articles..in the training section..
i did ATG squats for as heavy as 2 reps an believe me man, i cant wait for my next squat day..
think of the complications in squat as being good things..you will love it..these articles charge you up real good...you will hope you train so hard that you faint or atleast puke ( i did puke )..

its a crazy feelin..jus the thot that u jus did wht not many in the gym even touch..
its nice man..plz try it ..tryin to think of why deadlifts are better is not an option .. i always did that too..dont waste anymore time now..
plz squat

Tiny
11-10-08, 3:29 pm
i just tell myself 'only bitches puke"

i never puked in a workout with that mentality. i came close but i keep it down. i got a strong stomach and did all my lifes puking as a child lol!

you gotta try drop set deads man, they'll make you have to drink your beloved torrent a few times before you can call it a day

Sheeeet, who you tellin? Intensity is my middle name, brother - intensity is where the swole go to get swole.

prowrestler
11-10-08, 3:34 pm
Sheeeet, who you tellin? Intensity is my middle name, brother - intensity is where the swole go to get swole.

no one does drop set deads! i thought of it and tried it out. works best with 2 spotters and using 1 45 plate and the rest being 35's.

for real, if you havent, try them.

intensity is what its all about

wedge
11-10-08, 3:40 pm
Why choose? Both squats and deads are great exercises that pack on the mass when done correctly. Plus, at most gyms, the areas for both are open, as everyone is usually doing bench or biceps.

"no one does drop set deads! i thought of it and tried it out. works best with 2 spotters and using 1 45 plate and the rest being 35's.

intensity is what its all about"

I've done drop sets, used the 45's and a 25. When a 45 came off, replaced it with the 25. Worked all the way down until it was just 135.

Tiny
11-10-08, 4:00 pm
no one does drop set deads! i thought of it and tried it out. works best with 2 spotters and using 1 45 plate and the rest being 35's.

intensity is what its all about

Yeah, my neighbor, drop set deads - otherwise known as strip sets. But that's good, your crossing over into the realm of the really large training like that, keep that shit up.

prowrestler
11-10-08, 4:04 pm
Yeah, my neighbor, drop set deads - otherwise known as strip sets. But that's good, your crossing over into the realm of the really large training like that, keep that shit up.

well know its kinda different being a powerlifter, its more of just constantly improving week from week. its more straight sets now then anything else.

if i was still bodybuilding, id be doin those strip set deads and my strip set squats still.

redskin 344
11-10-08, 4:27 pm
well know its kinda different being a powerlifter, its more of just constantly improving week from week. its more straight sets now then anything else.

if i was still bodybuilding, id be doin those strip set deads and my strip set squats still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADFTS2rImxI

this looks really intense

im thinking about doing drop set deads. What do u guys think

prowrestler
11-10-08, 4:30 pm

do it

Tiny
11-10-08, 6:08 pm

Get your warm-ups and build ups to the heaviest straight sets first, then a true hypertrophy work set or two in, THEN bring the insane intensity with drops and strips and shit like that. When you move on to your next exercise, you can basically keep it cranked up - just get your basic straight heavy shit done with the initial exercise 'cause you're only fresh and totally capable of a true 100% effort then and there - warm up, build up gradually (which amounts to more warming up) keeping the reps mid to low range, then bang the all out efforts - a big single or attempt at a double, then strip down and nail a hypertrophy (10-15 rep) set or two, THEN go ahead and drop the rest in between and crank wide open with the intensity shit.

prowrestler
11-11-08, 12:31 am
Get your warm-ups and build ups to the heaviest straight sets first, then a true hypertrophy work set or two in, THEN bring the insane intensity with drops and strips and shit like that. When you move on to your next exercise, you can basically keep it cranked up - just get your basic straight heavy shit done with the initial exercise 'cause you're only fresh and totally capable of a true 100% effort then and there - warm up, build up gradually (which amounts to more warming up) keeping the reps mid to low range, then bang the all out efforts - a big single or attempt at a double, then strip down and nail a hypertrophy (10-15 rep) set or two, THEN go ahead and drop the rest in between and crank wide open with the intensity shit.

yep, some powerliftin entality plus some hardcore nutso bodybuilding mentaliy makes you a freak lifter.

redskin 344
11-11-08, 7:46 pm
Im gonna start doing trap bar deads. It'll hopefull be more comfortable, easier and since the quads are also being incorporated I will probably be able to lift heavier than BB Deadlifts.

wait and one more question, when talking about the squat and deadlift and saying that they are essential for overall developement, do u mean strength as well or just mass?

ronald1919
11-11-08, 7:53 pm
did squats today after a month lay off due to knee pain.....feels good. Nothing other than squat can get me close to puking.

Tiny
11-12-08, 5:19 pm
Im gonna start doing trap bar deads. It'll hopefull be more comfortable, easier and since the quads are also being incorporated I will probably be able to lift heavier than BB Deadlifts.

wait and one more question, when talking about the squat and deadlift and saying that they are essential for overall developement, do u mean strength as well or just mass?

Oh christ, not the fucking "trapbar" again - let's not even go there (no offense, bro, if it helps you, go ahead and go for it, I'm just not a fan of it, myself). I'm speaking (usually) all about MASS first and foremost but I am also an advocate of a good basic, solid foundation built upon heavy compound movements.

redskin 344
11-12-08, 6:37 pm
Oh christ, not the fucking "trapbar" again - let's not even go there (no offense, bro, if it helps you, go ahead and go for it, I'm just not a fan of it, myself). I'm speaking (usually) all about MASS first and foremost but I am also an advocate of a good basic, solid foundation built upon heavy compound movements.

wats wrong with the trap bar man lol

seeing people lift with like 6 45s on each side looks bad ass, plus the trap bar in a way forces u to get into a better form when ripping it off the ground. Its great.

shizz702
11-12-08, 6:45 pm

seeing people lift with like 6 45s on each side looks bad ass, plus the trap bar in a way forces u to get into a better form when ripping it off the ground. Its great.

It's cool, I wouldn't mind playing around with one, but nothing beats a good ol' barbell.

redskin 344
11-12-08, 7:21 pm
It's cool, I wouldn't mind playing around with one, but nothing beats a good ol' barbell.

why does nothing beat a good ol barbell?

Lunatic001
11-12-08, 7:23 pm

It has endured the test of time......ronnie, Tiny, Ox, House, Wrath, Arnold, you name it they do them.........

shizz702
11-12-08, 7:48 pm

long ago, back in the golden era, before supplements, before steroids, before machines, before trap bars, the old timers had nothing but a barbell and weights, and well that was all they needed, and they built some impressive physiques back then, even compared to today's standards.

As lunatic said the barbell has stood the test of time, and it is the greatest tool one can utilize for building their body.

redskin 344
11-12-08, 8:09 pm
It has endured the test of time......ronnie, Tiny, Ox, House, Wrath, Arnold, you name it they do them.........

the test of time u say... eh what the hell ill give it a shoot

Lunatic001
11-12-08, 8:18 pm
the test of time u say... eh what the hell ill give it a shoot

Don't thank me when you get results....I am just happy that you are giving them a shot! lol!

prowrestler
11-12-08, 11:22 pm

hahahahhahahha lmao

the trap bar hits a nerve for this guy!

Tiny
11-13-08, 5:20 pm

To some extent that is true but the barbell deadlift just tests you in a way that nothing else in the gym can. When that barbell is loaded and just laying there on the mat, it's calling to you, it's calling you out and some will step up to it and take a death grip on the knurling and stand up with that motherfucker but many will not. Many won't even try because it is hard and the possibility is there that it can hurt you - and even if you step to it, you won't be triumphant 100% of the time, and it can humble you, it injects a dose of reality, but you live to fight another day and you will return and eventually you will rule the day.

Tiny
11-13-08, 5:27 pm
AND envision an Animal brother lumbering through the gym, making his way through the norms, the Animal ensignia emblazoned proudly across his chest as he gathers unto himself several 45's in preparation to do battle with . . . the trapbar??? Pleeeez!

shizz702
11-13-08, 5:41 pm
AND envision an Animal brother lumbering through the gym, making his way through the norms, the Animal ensignia emblazoned proudly across his chest as he gathers unto himself several 45's in preparation to do battle with . . . the trapbar??? Pleeeez!

LOL

The man has a point here!

redskin 344
11-13-08, 7:42 pm
how do u guys feel about the hack squat?

I here a lot that it puts pressure on the knees but whats ur opinion?

zanderfever
11-13-08, 9:41 pm

Pure Quads. Nothing else. Get to a barbell and do a regular Squat. If you going to do them, do them after your heavy A2G BB Squats.

Tiny
11-14-08, 2:00 pm

Not a substitute for barbell squats but it is a very good quad exercise - I sometimes utilize this movement.

prowrestler
11-14-08, 2:33 pm
Not a substitute for barbell squats but it is a very good quad exercise - I sometimes utilize this movement.

barbell or machine?