PDA

View Full Version : A question about the Rocky Movies and the training.

TheKidd
11-07-08, 4:44 pm
I'm sure everyone has seen the rocky movies. In the latest one, Rocky Balboa, the training montage shows him hitting tires with a sledge hammer and slamming big barrels on the ground.Would anyone suggest this for bodybuilding? Does it target overall strength or what? I would appreciate if anyone can give me some advice on this.

zanderfever
11-07-08, 4:55 pm
I don't think that type of training is very conducive to bodybuilding. Its more for expolosive strength. Though it is a great coordination and core exercise so maybe you could incorporate it into your ab training.

shizz702
11-07-08, 4:57 pm
I'm sure everyone has seen the rocky movies. In the latest one, Rocky Balboa, the training montage shows him hitting tires with a sledge hammer and slamming big barrels on the ground.Would anyone suggest this for bodybuilding? Does it target overall strength or what? I would appreciate if anyone can give me some advice on this.

That kind of training is still very productive, and can be referred to as "Dinosaur Training" or Strongman.

Though it isn't necessary for a bodybuilder, it can still be very fun, and build lots of strength.

BryanSmash!
11-07-08, 5:03 pm
Also, Steve Justa wrote a great book on this type of training called "Rock Iron Steel".

Ady
11-07-08, 5:04 pm
It's probably not optimal for bodybuilding but more suited for sports. I run an american football team and its the kind of stuff we would use for explosive strength and core work.

Tiny
11-07-08, 5:07 pm

Basic staple MMA type training.

jeff00z28
11-07-08, 7:01 pm
just do it anyway strongman is a blast. my gym is building a strongman course this winter outside i cant wait

shizz702
11-07-08, 8:09 pm
just do it anyway strongman is a blast. my gym is building a strongman course this winter outside i cant wait

Damn man you are lucky! That would be awesome!

TheKidd
11-07-08, 9:02 pm
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think im going to try it. It can't hurt right. I appreciate it fellas.

Cstlfx
11-07-08, 9:06 pm
Basic staple MMA type training.

Very true. I think during an UFC All Access (or countdown, cant remember what they're called) Sean Sherk, he did this kind of stuff quite a bit.