PDA

View Full Version : ab question

EBO13
11-07-08, 8:17 pm
now ive heard that working out abs every day wont really hurt anything... but ive heard of people working them our throughout the whole day... like waking up and doing 3 or 4 sets of 25 sit ups....then again at lunch or the same sets with leg throws... then doing them again at the gym between sets....and again at night... now thats everyday... or at least every other day... is that too much? over training?

redskin 344
11-07-08, 10:07 pm
now ive heard that working out abs every day wont really hurt anything... but ive heard of people working them our throughout the whole day... like waking up and doing 3 or 4 sets of 25 sit ups....then again at lunch or the same sets with leg throws... then doing them again at the gym between sets....and again at night... now thats everyday... or at least every other day... is that too much? over training?

situps.... haha please dont tell me ur one of those idiots that decides to follow the western corwd..situps lol

no man u need to do more intense exercises like hanging leg raises and ab wheel exercises... situps wont get u no where unless u want neck and back pain

Also I dont see the need to do any ab exercises at all if you lift heavy weights, which would require intense breathing, which would give u a hard midsection.

EBO13
11-07-08, 10:14 pm
i have a hard midsection... from deads and squats.... i just dont have definition... and the only sit ups i do are on a decline bench... leg raises and ab machines.... i didnt necessiarly mean sit ups...just to clarify that.... so ill re word... is it ok to workout abs throughout the whole day?3 or 4 sets every 3 to 5 hours or whatever...

hardhit71
11-07-08, 10:23 pm
It sounds to me like your ab techniques are fine, i dont know what this dude was thinking, but honestly i really wouldnt do them that many times per day. Your abs are just like any other muscle, they need time to heal too. I'd say hit them maybe once every day or just hit them really hard every other day. that should get you that definition along with a little cardio.

mustgetbig
11-07-08, 10:40 pm
i have a hard midsection... from deads and squats.... i just dont have definition... and the only sit ups i do are on a decline bench... leg raises and ab machines.... i didnt necessiarly mean sit ups...just to clarify that.... so ill re word... is it ok to workout abs throughout the whole day?3 or 4 sets every 3 to 5 hours or whatever...

if its defined abs you want then diet .....you cant burn fat in that area just by working your abs more...diet then the definition will come and dont hit abs every day or every other day do them once a week or at most twice a week

thatdude111
11-08-08, 10:33 pm
situps.... haha please dont tell me ur one of those idiots that decides to follow the western corwd..situps lol

no man u need to do more intense exercises like hanging leg raises and ab wheel exercises... situps wont get u no where unless u want neck and back pain

What's wrong with situps they're perfect for abs. Just like with every exercise they will cause injury only if done incorrectly

redskin 344
11-09-08, 3:37 pm
What's wrong with situps they're perfect for abs. Just like with every exercise they will cause injury only if done incorrectly

Sorry i meant to say that my problem with situps is doing them in high reps. But i think doing low rep intense situps such as janda and weighted situps are great for the midsection.

Aggression
11-10-08, 12:19 pm
I personally hit abs 2 times a week, always with weight, for about 8-10 sets per session. I wouldn't be doing them several times a day, everyday. They're like other muscles, they just recover a bit quicker, similar to calves.

Ady
11-10-08, 7:45 pm
I hit abs once a week in my split and train them like any other muscle. They seem to get hit alot more when i'm going heavy on squats, bent over rows and deads. Defo agree with the fact they recover quicker and just doing them the once works great for me.

thatdude111
11-19-08, 12:47 pm
Can someone explain to me to to perform the exercise for your obliques by twisting back and forth with a broomstick over your shoulders? I usually do 100 reps but don't feel anything do I need to do more or what? Is this exercise effective for hitting obliques?

Aggression
11-19-08, 12:50 pm
Can someone explain to me to to perform the exercise for your obliques by twisting back and forth with a broomstick over your shoulders? I usually do 100 reps but don't feel anything do I need to do more or what? Is this exercise effective for hitting obliques?

I do them with a weighted bar that my gym has. They go from 5-12lbs. Do them at a controlled pace, don't just swing from side to side. I do 100 reps total (50/side) and I definitely feel them. Make sure you're twisting all the way to each side, not stopping short.

thatdude111
11-19-08, 1:42 pm
Thanks aggression