PDA

View Full Version : Any one here working at construction ?

v8ftmfw
11-08-08, 11:43 am
I got a job offer working at contruction, my current job pay suck but free time to eat and go gym, but for contruction I have to wake up 7am and get off at 5pm every day, accept saturday and sunday, I want to know how to maner the time to eat and gym, I usually eat 6 meal, but I dont think I can eat like that when im work at contruction work. any one have any ideal, what food or show some tip how to use time. thanks

machineman
11-08-08, 11:55 am
If you can, I would make some pb sandwiches, put them in a zip lock bag and eat them when you can.....or you could get some good protein bars, cut them, put those in a bag and munch on them through the day.....try that and see how it goes....you will be expending alot of energy throughout the day and the added protein will do you good.....

simpleguy
11-08-08, 1:04 pm
I've worked for a short time at constructions during a holiday to earn some money for my food and supps and it was pretty grueling

so here's my advice: definitely increase your caloric intake... some extra carbs, fats and protein, you will need more of each... you'll also need a good night sleep so in case you work out in the afternoon I'd recommend not using stims before hitting the gym, since you'll probably want to get say a solid 9hrs of sleep per night

maybe consider working out in the early morning if you'd like... since you'll also 'stimulate' some muscles while doing your job, maybe a decrease in volume could do you good
definitely hit the pack in the morning, and maybe even one in the evening

as far as meals go, I was always hungry when I used to work there, so I found that shakes although being convenient didn't really satisfy my hunger... either make some sandwiches, or some G Diesel pancakes, or buy some proteon bars

good luck bro

WeeMan
11-08-08, 4:51 pm
iv worked full time in construction for four years sinse i left school, heres my dailiy schedule:
6am - out of bed, shower, EAT
9/10am - EAT
12pm - EAT, sleep for maybe 20 mins
4pm - straight after work i eat and get home to sleep and relax
6pm - pre gym supplements, maybe food
7pm - gym
8:30 - EAT
10pm - go to bed

as simpleguy says deffinatly increase your meals, you wont have the freedom to eat often so during your breaks make sure you eat ALOT especially in the morning(and you can eat dirty calories because you will deffinatly be burning them.
however, unless your a total pussy, your work shouldnt really affect the way you train. (training in the morning, unless your willing to get out of bed at 4am every morning, is just out of the question)

simpleguy
11-08-08, 5:15 pm
training in the morning, unless your willing to get out of bed at 4am every morning, is just out of the question

true but it depends on the timing... I used to work from 9 to 20pm and the last thing you wanna do after 11 hrs of work is to workout haha

WeeMan
11-08-08, 5:17 pm
true but it depends on the timing... I used to work from 9 to 20pm and the last thing you wanna do after 11 hrs of work is to workout haha

hah yeah il give you that but if your working hours like that you wouldnt be able to keep training for any extended period of time.

simpleguy
11-08-08, 5:18 pm
hah yeah il give you that but if your working hours like that you wouldnt be able to keep training for any extended period of time.

you know, there are people who do that all year-round... not many, but there are... I've only done that for a short period (6 weeks)

WeeMan
11-08-08, 5:25 pm
you know, there are people who do that all year-round... not many, but there are... I've only done that for a short period (6 weeks)

yeah but there are also people who swim the channel.

jer
11-08-08, 5:35 pm
I've worked construction for years. There is time to get some food down.

I get up at 5am, eat at 6 and at work by 7.

Come 9-9:30 I have a shake and some almonds, or ground oats (depending on what my macros are that day)

12-12:30: Lunch

3:30: I get off of work and down another shake with almonds or ground oats, and head to the gym.

Train

5:30: Eat when I get home from the gym

8:30: Eat last meal.

10pm: Bed time.

There is always a second to dip to your cooler and down a shake. I get shit for it some times, but I'll be damned if some one is gonna tell me when I can and can't eat. I'm a fucking grown up damn it.

WeeMan
11-08-08, 6:54 pm
There is always a second to dip to your cooler and down a shake. I get shit for it some times, but I'll be damned if some one is gonna tell me when I can and can't eat. I'm a fucking grown up damn it.

exactly, if you work in construction u cant let people walk all over you

futurefreak101
11-08-08, 7:14 pm
i am a sanitation worker now (benefits are good) i used to work construction...what i do now is way harder then any construction i did...i am lifting heavy shit and jumping on an off a truck every second for sometimes 6 hours with no break...i usually just make Natty Pb sand. and protein bars,almonds,and shakes..shit like that dont forget the people you work with probably live off cofee and fucking cigarettes and eat bacon egg and cheese on rolls every day ...so your gonna get shit for having to eat all the time i go through it everyday...but fuck that eat when you want no1 can say when you can and cant eat...i also wake up at 4 am everyday now just to do my cardio get to work at 6 bust my ass get off at 230 come home sleep for 20 min...then head to the gym...its gonna wear you the fuck down but man up and get it done i have for the past 2 years. just do it.

Against The Grain
11-09-08, 1:21 am
Some good advice here.

machineman
11-09-08, 10:34 am
I thought of another one.....you could make some protein pancakes or waffles....you don't need to reheat those to eat them.....you get your protein and something with some substance to hold for a couple hours.....

Aggression
11-10-08, 4:05 pm
I got a job offer working at contruction, my current job pay suck but free time to eat and go gym, but for contruction I have to wake up 7am and get off at 5pm every day, accept saturday and sunday, I want to know how to maner the time to eat and gym, I usually eat 6 meal, but I dont think I can eat like that when im work at contruction work. any one have any ideal, what food or show some tip how to use time. thanks

You just gotta do it man. I did some work for construction in a union. I started at 7am, got a 'coffee' break from 9-930, lunch was 12-1230, and I was off at 330. Eating wasn't that hard to do bro.

6:00 - breakfast
9:00-9:30 - weight gainer or solid meal
12:00-12:30 - another meal
3:30 - leave work, eat asap when home
-- u can figure out the rest.

Stovall
11-10-08, 11:20 pm
No offense to anyone who posted here but I wish I had hours as easy as ya'll. I work atleast 10 hours a day without scheduled breaks. We may go all day without a break. And since I live in a hotel 25+ days of the week, its hard to get good food and get into a gym at evey town. But I have protien shakes and plenty of PB&J sandwiches in my cooler which I grab at any chance I get.

Gym time? Ha! What gym. I'm on the road alot. Some gyms let me pay a daily fee, others tell me to get out. Its hard on the road. Just got to do what you've got to do.
Good luck with the new job.