PDA

View Full Version : Anyone prefer training alone?

WeeMan
11-08-08, 5:12 pm
ok so recently iv had to stop training with my much older mentors who are competative bodybuilders, both about 40 years old and saw me as their pupil. and theyv taught me alot about confidence in the gym, and how to push myself, how to train smart. but i couldnt help but feel a little bit relieved about being able to control my own workouts now.

i was gutted at having to stop training with them. also a week ago i took a guy who lives next door to me to the gym, hes a great guy and was very keen but i was dissapointed with the amount of effort he put into training and constantly asked when we were training abs.

iv realised..i hate having a training partner. does anyone feel the same, tell me why.

simpleguy
11-08-08, 5:17 pm
yeah... after the first month or 2 of lifting I went alone most of the times... now I still technically go alone, but it's just that I'm pretty familiar with everyone there, I know most of them so I ask someone to spot me on the heaviest sets

IronWilson
11-08-08, 5:46 pm
Yeah, training alone is kind of spiritual in a sense. What I love about this sport is that you can do everything yourself and it all depends on you.

When I go to the gym, thats the only time of the day when I'm left alone and not bothered by anybody (for the most part haha). So training alone is definately good for me.

J Wong
11-08-08, 6:23 pm
I used to love training alone, but now I love have a training partner. Probably because I'm lucky and I lift with guys who don't annoy me or anything haha.

Cstlfx
11-08-08, 6:38 pm
See, I dont really train alone or with a partner. Usually, I'll go with someone to the gym, but we workout separately. This way, when I need a spot, I know someone that I trust can do it.

Asian
11-08-08, 6:50 pm
I prefer to train alone. Something therapeautic about being alone, just you and the weights. Having a partner is obviously good for the spotting and good chit chat in between sets, but I"ll take being alone any day

shizz702
11-08-08, 6:55 pm
Yea bro I like training alone, cause I do what works for me, and have my own way of doing things. Though it would be nice to have a partner that I see eye to eye with, but until then I will just embrace my solitude.

WeeMan
11-08-08, 6:56 pm
See, I dont really train alone or with a partner. Usually, I'll go with someone to the gym, but we workout separately. This way, when I need a spot, I know someone that I trust can do it.

thats a good way to do it

IRN-NML
11-08-08, 7:16 pm
If you made gains while training with them or feel you did get sound advice and encouragement, it'd be good keep in touch at least, in case you can/want to train with them again. Good training partners are hard to come by; let alone two with bodybuilding comp. experience.

So they're older. In your favor, you must have impressed them enough to give you the time and consider you at least an equal at lifting. Nothing wrong with training alone; keep going at it and get some gains you can show them if and when you meet up again.

WeeMan
11-08-08, 7:21 pm
If you made gains while training with them or feel you did get sound advice and encouragement, it'd be good keep in touch at least, in case you can/want to train with them again. Good training partners are hard to come by; let alone two with bodybuilding comp. experience.

So they're older. In your favor, you must have impressed them enough to give you the time and consider you at least an equal at lifting. Nothing wrong with training alone; keep going at it and get some gains you can show them if and when you meet up again.

yea, i actually work with one of the guys. so he keeps me in check. and they are both going to oversee my first cut.

Feel The Power
11-08-08, 8:21 pm
I prefer training alone as well.. Just me, my ipod, and intra-aid. I change up my workouts so much and everytime I tried to train with someone they always want to do the same weight/reps/exercises, etc. So it just works better for me. Plus I get up really early..

jer
11-08-08, 9:20 pm
I like training alone.

I've had some good workout partners in the past, but I like the way it is now. Besides, I'm not a volume guy, so that weeds out most workout partners anyway. No to many HIT trainers in my gym.

thatdude111
11-08-08, 10:36 pm
In the past i enjoyed having a training partner but now i like training alone. I used to bring along some of my friends they would get into working out for like a month then eventually end up quitting, which is a waste for me to teach them what to do . so now i train alone

T-GUN
11-09-08, 1:57 am
I prefer alone but I do go to the gym with two buddies after work every morning. We never work out together but are always nearby to help with spots or negative reps and stuff.

Psycho77
11-09-08, 2:07 am
I always go to the gym with buds but we keep to ourselves and hardly talk during workouts. We only cross paths when we have to alternate for a machine or during the occasional spot or two. Then we leave together and talk about our workouts during a PWO meal/shake.

D-Bomb
11-09-08, 2:08 am
Definitely prefer training alone, i haven't found a partner who fits my idea of a good training partner...it is hard to find a Arnold/Franco match nowadays guys haha ;-)

I do like how i know a lot of people at gym, so i do get spots if i ask for them and sometimes the nicer people come randomly help me when im really struggling with dumbbells etc...so i prefer the music and I ...pumping iron.

GJN5002
11-09-08, 10:06 am
I trained with a partner for a long time and it worked really well because he was older and stonger and I knew hell or high water hed be at the gym and I better be there too.

I moved across the state a few months ago and at first I hated training along but Ive come to love it because I dont have to worry about pissing anyone off if I work late or want to switch things around. I really like just training on instinct and not worrying about someone elses idea for the day.

At the same time, I still miss having a solid training partner because they are so hard to find.

jeff00z28
11-09-08, 10:59 am
i hate training alone

Ady
11-09-08, 11:53 am
I train alone and its all good. However, all the guys in the gym know each other so we always have confidence in someone if we need a spot when going heavy. I personally think training alone is great if you know people are around to spot, but if you don't then i would say get a training partner.

Tiny
11-09-08, 12:34 pm
ok so recently iv had to stop training with my much older mentors who are competative bodybuilders, both about 40 years old and saw me as their pupil. and theyv taught me alot about confidence in the gym, and how to push myself, how to train smart. but i couldnt help but feel a little bit relieved about being able to control my own workouts now.

i was gutted at having to stop training with them. also a week ago i took a guy who lives next door to me to the gym, hes a great guy and was very keen but i was dissapointed with the amount of effort he put into training and constantly asked when we were training abs.

iv realised..i hate having a training partner. does anyone feel the same, tell me why.

I can get it done either way. having the right training partner/partners can be hugely beneficial . . . but, it is a waste of time dragging the wrong one around the gym with you. I have been fortunate enough to have trained with some unbelievably outstanding partners but when that can't be, I still get paid in the gym on my own - whatever it takes, ya know?

WeeMan
11-09-08, 2:02 pm
I can get it done either way. having the right training partner/partners can be hugely beneficial . . . but, it is a waste of time dragging the wrong one around the gym with you. I have been fortunate enough to have trained with some unbelievably outstanding partners but when that can't be, I still get paid in the gym on my own - whatever it takes, ya know?

ye ai know what you mean, i think im different though, when im training with someone else i dont really make the same gains as i do when im alone. maybe i havent met the right partner yet.

DayDream
11-09-08, 2:10 pm
Yea bro I like training alone, cause I do what works for me, and have my own way of doing things. Though it would be nice to have a partner that I see eye to eye with, but until then I will just embrace my solitude.

Same here. I know I would benefit from having a decent partner to help me get in those extra reps and give me more motivation, but I'm doing just fine without it.

Ir0nClad
11-09-08, 3:21 pm
When I first started lifting half a year ago I trained with a partner at the gym, but even before I went away to college over the summer we started not training together as much anymore. I think its good to have a partner when you first start out, but now that I have a more complex workout and now that I have a much higher intensity I feel that a workout partner might hinder me.

TheBassGuy
11-09-08, 3:25 pm
i train really fast a lot of the time, it just works well for me. so having a training partner slows me down. i've always trained alone.

willowUK
11-11-08, 6:51 am
I have a mixed week - sometimes alone and sometimes with a partner (my cousin on Tuesdays/Thursdays) ... to be honest I prefer to train alone.

I can get what I want done - no rushing or been pestered.

When Im alone I have a blast - I know all the guys in there - i can spend a good few hours doing the workout and have a chat.

MojoMike36
11-11-08, 10:31 am
I do both. Training alone is great for days when I need to bring the intensity of my own. When I'm with a buddy I enjoy the way we feed off of each other. I will admit training with a partner always forces me to push for new progression.

Aggression
11-11-08, 11:19 am
I started out in High School with training partners at the school gym, and then at an actual gym. We'd leave school, have something to eat, then meet up at the gym to lift together.

Problem is .. after high school, everyone stopped lifting. It was more a phase for them, a social event, a way to pass time. When college came, I had the same people in the gym all the time, so it was nice to get spots whenever you needed one, or to jump into someone else's workout. But since school ended, I'm back home at my regular gym. All the friends I used to lift with are now out of the 'gym phase'. There's a few regulars I can always depend on for a spot, but in terms of a training partner, I'm solo. People work different hours, do different things, have different priorities. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm the only one at my gym doing DC training ..... so that's a problem in its own.

shotzie
11-11-08, 11:29 pm
Yeah... i normally train alone in my gym< mainly becuase the guys in my gym train their abs for three hours everynight and they say there abs hurt too much to spot me

sanga
11-12-08, 4:27 am
I find it particularly hard to find a good training partner that is willing to push as hard as I do, keep up and even turn up lol.

I need a spotter especially since I`ll be doing DC Training and a partner that is in tune with me and has his wits about him but in saying all that I don`t mind training alone as I can go at my own intensity and pace.

Incredible Bulk
11-12-08, 7:28 am
I find it particularly hard to find a good training partner that is willing to push as hard as I do, keep up and even turn up lol.

I need a spotter especially since I`ll be doing DC Training and a partner that is in tune with me and has his wits about him but in saying all that I don`t mind training alone as I can go at my own intensity and pace.

I like having someone to compete against during every session, the fact that he could save me from smashing in my face with a DB is just a bonus.

billmd1334
11-12-08, 7:30 am
I prefer training alone, mainly because every person I work out with wants to start talking and hold me up between sets. I like to stay focused on what I'm doing, instead of getting off onto other conversation

Aggression
11-12-08, 10:32 am

Same exact problem sanga. I'm doing DC. Its nearly impossible to hit Dumbbell Shoulder presses, bc you NEED a spot for the rest pauses, and I feel bad asking someone to stand there while I do my one set which might take up to 2min. I just use smith machines/hammer strengths for shoulders.

Everyone on the forvm should all move to Venice, like the old days. We can all train together, and not have to worry about one of us not showing up, or quitting a month into the workout. Everyday would be an ABC event!

WeeMan
11-12-08, 12:52 pm
Everyone on the forvm should all move to Venice, like the old days. We can all train together, and not have to worry about one of us not showing up, or quitting a month into the workout. Everyday would be an ABC event!

thats the best idea iv ever heard on the forum! i might do that anyway!

Tiny
11-12-08, 5:22 pm
thats the best idea iv ever heard on the forum! i might do that anyway!

Yeah, that would be the shit, alright.

Latimer316
11-14-08, 11:45 am
I'm with most the guys on this thread. I feel sometimes a partner can be beneficial but at the same time they can also hold you back. Its up to you to push yourself to the max and other than that a partner is good to make sure you dont hurt yourself with an amount of weight your body isnt used to. Just an ipod and focus seems to get the job done

roithamer
11-14-08, 3:53 pm
I would have to agree with Latimer316. I train alone and don't really want to talk with anyone while I'm talking to the bar and the weight. It helps me to focus by cussin the bar, cussin myself. But whatever works.......

Iceiktitan
11-15-08, 6:03 pm
I come to the gym alone without a training partner. When I get their some of my closest friends are their. I know that when needed I can call upon them for my heaviest sets. No need to train completely alone and hurt myself. And as far as training with some other person(s), I am my own motivation. Other people slow me down and it gets me really irritated when I am on such a tight schedule. Gym time is my alone time from the real world.

Later Bro..

Carpe Diem P.T
11-15-08, 8:38 pm

you need a real man like me to train with ;)

prowrestler
11-16-08, 1:40 am
i do both

to answere the threads question: a loner would

WeeMan
11-16-08, 1:56 pm
you need a real man like me to train with ;)

i dunno man id be kinda nervous of you spotting me on squats!

Carpe Diem P.T
11-16-08, 4:59 pm
dont be silly, i would be that close behind you, you would feel my breath on your neck

OverDose
11-16-08, 10:55 pm
i would love to have a training partner, but it has to be someone like me, who is hardcore, and wants to deadlift and squat some heavy ass weight, whenever i go to the gym with my friends all they want to do is bench press and curl and don't get why i am in the corner deadlifting massive weight, but if i had a partner who was like me that would be great, i've always wanted a brother of iron

Brick By Brick
11-16-08, 11:48 pm
I do prefer training alone. If one of my buds from the forvm lived anywhere close, I would gladly train with them, but for the most part, I like lifting alone. It's usually the only time I get to myself all day.

gtice
11-17-08, 9:08 am
I think for the most part that lifting with someone can be ridicoulous. Hence the partner who always only wants to do the same thing, work abs to death, or is afraid to push themselves. I got lucky my first 2 months in Iraq it was me alone. Then one of my buddies and me clicked on a training regimen and he constantly wanted to improve, work harder, get stronger, and just helped me push myself consistently. Look for the good ones, there out there.

daninarmy
11-17-08, 1:29 pm
I train alone i can think about what I am doing more but I will get a spot when I need one.

Aggression
11-17-08, 2:09 pm
I have no training partner, yet I don't ever think I'm training completely alone. I hit the gym at the same time on the same days. You get into a rhythm of seeing the same people to the point where you know what body part they're training before you even step into the gym. Its these same people who I always ask for a spot, who I might shoot the sh*t with for a minute between sets, or who I might talk to after my workout is done. To me, its to the point where I don't even have to ask for a spot. They see me standing aside the incline bench, I give them a quick glance, and they come right over.

WeeMan
11-18-08, 6:55 am
dont be silly, i would be that close behind you, you would feel my breath on your neck

youv been watching american history x again havent you!

Merat
11-18-08, 9:02 am
Well my highlight of the day tends to be this:

waking up at 5am to eat breakfast
Leave the house at 6am
Get to the gym at 6:20am wait for 10minsam for it to open then get changed
Train around 6:40-50am

Why?

Because Its early, virtually quiet im by myself its me, the iron and my mp3 player with some blaring hardcore hip hop tunes, After this I feel content with myself.

Plus I train harder, unless I can find sombody that likes to go proper all out when training no innteruptions cool I can work somthing out anf train wiv em.