PDA

View Full Version : Bulking and Abs??

Matoltsy85
11-10-08, 4:14 pm
Alright, So Im in the process of bulking up. So Im not trying to do anything with too high of a volume. Cant see my abs right now anyways, And i know if I work them im still not gonna see them because of the fat ontop.

Wondering if there is even a point in doing abs while bulking??

I know everybody has abs, and you cant see them until you get down to a certain BF% anyways...

Aggression
11-10-08, 4:22 pm
Alright, So Im in the process of bulking up. So Im not trying to do anything with too high of a volume. Cant see my abs right now anyways, And i know if I work them im still not gonna see them because of the fat ontop.

I know everybody has abs, and you cant see them until you get down to a certain BF% anyways...

I'm not a know-it-all by any means, and I might even be wrong here, but I think its still important to build up your abs. They're muscles like everything else. I do all weighted ab work, 8-10 sets 2x/week. You're right, you won't see them until you diet down, BUT, you gotta build them up.

futilekyle
11-10-08, 5:33 pm
I'd do them for lower back safety and support, you need a solid support system

hatebreedXXX69
11-11-08, 7:24 am
i can't see my abs cos i eat like a pig, but i an feel it unerneath the fat. my personal view is that you are working your abs when you are lifting heavy anyway. i do the 5x5 workout routine and when i do barbell curls i can feel my abs. Same thing with shoulder press and dumbell rows.

Big Wides
11-11-08, 9:10 am
Train them, but treat them like every other muscle. The stronger your abs get the stronger your bench, squat, deadlift, overhead and everything else gets. If you have strong abs you yourself will be strong

Enforcer
11-11-08, 9:13 am

I have become a firm believer in hitting abs and cardio in the offseason, maybe not as hard as I would on a cut but still giving them work. I feel that this will make it a little bit easier to get leaner when on a cut rather than having to work twice as hard to burn off the excess fat and water that can be put on in the offseason.

bdb1513
11-11-08, 12:38 pm
I have become a firm believer in hitting abs and cardio in the offseason, maybe not as hard as I would on a cut but still giving them work. I feel that this will make it a little bit easier to get leaner when on a cut rather than having to work twice as hard to burn off the excess fat and water that can be put on in the offseason.

i'm with ya enforcer..i keep up on the cardio and abs in the off season too...why make a cut harder then it has to be when its time

Littlefry
11-11-08, 1:40 pm
You should hit abs in the offseason. They are the core of your frame, and if your doing compound lifts such as squat, deads, bench, military press etc... your core needs to be strong and stable and it will help you perfrom the lifts much better. Ab/core work 2-3x a week 8-10 sets of heavy work will greatly benift you lifts wise and later on when you decided to cut it will make things much easier.

sanga
11-11-08, 3:28 pm
Abs and cardio should be done year round in my experience, off season not as frequently but still 2-3 times a week.

Matoltsy85
11-11-08, 3:34 pm
Thanks guys. I guess ill keep hittin em...I didnt even think of having a stronger core makes everything else stronger...but thanks for the input, ill keep doing them...

bovat
11-11-08, 9:03 pm
always train your abs

you will have deeper more prominent abs when you diet down

TheDarkHalf
11-12-08, 10:05 am
I've been doing abs twice a week - and I do sets of weight and nonweighted ab work. I keep the cardio up as well, my body likes to add fat like it's nobody's business so I keep up light intensity cardio (120-125 bpm) 4 to 5 times per week for 30 mins.

Latimer316
11-14-08, 11:55 am
Yea man from my experience do abs and cardio in the offseason. I had the idea that not doing cardio would help me get bigger and it did but I put on way too much bad weight. Let you clothes be your guide and as long as everything else is fitting tighter and your waist is still good to go, keep it up.

JUGGERNAUT
11-14-08, 12:09 pm
I'd do them for lower back safety and support, you need a solid support system

Train them, but treat them like every other muscle. The stronger your abs get the stronger your bench, squat, deadlift, overhead and everything else gets. If you have strong abs you yourself will be strong

What they said......

newbreed
11-14-08, 5:25 pm
ALWAYS do some abs and cardio bro

jordo
11-14-08, 7:07 pm
I always find most people OVER-train abs. I treat them just like an other muscle group. I train them once a week just like the other muscles.

Bulking does such though, people think your getting fat.