PDA

View Full Version : Ashley's Journey to the 2009 Jr. National Figure Stage.

Ashley_Brand
11-10-08, 11:16 pm
Let me tell you a little about myself… I've competed at two shows as of right now achieving my class title in both. The first being in March of 2008 where I just barely missed the overall. This past weekend (November 7&8, 2008) I took the title of Kentucky Muscle Class D Figure Champion and just missed the overall title yet again. This was my first big show experience, as it's the second biggest show in my region. There were 67 figure competitors total and 17 in my class. Not just competitors either... most looked phenomenal. I was thrilled to see so many well conditioned and hard working athletes. I love competing with the best of the best. Which is what based my next decision.... Jr. Nationals 09' in Chicago. Some may say that it's too early for me to set my sights so high, but I will be first to tell you that if you don't you almost always will sale yourself short of your god given talent. My approach to life: it’s all or nothing. I make a decision, I put my all into it, and I accept where it takes me. Don’t get me wrong.. I wouldn’t do such a big show if I didn’t feel as if I would be ready for it. Which is why it’s time to pull out all the guns and reach a whole other level of seriousness.

So... it being two days after my victory at the Kentucky Muscle I am embarking on my first all out post contest rebound bulk. I figured if there was one thing you all knew it was the building blocks on adding quality mass, which is what I am tapping into. From March of 2008 to November of 2008 I added 7 pounds of quality muscle. I will post pictures of both contests and I'm sure you will be able to see the differences I've made. Which I am more than stoked about. I am not bragging, for I know that I have much to add but I am proud of where I have gotten so far.

My plans of execution for right now are to bring up the 3 crucial parts of figure. Ridiculously rounded out delts, an awesome V taper consisting of upper lat development and a thick middle back, with toned quad swept long legs. (I say long legs because I’m 5'9) Now would be a good time for some stats eh?
22 years old
Current weight 142
Contest weight 139-140
LBM 124 ½
Height 5'9
Years busting my ass in the gym : 2.5
Years competing : 1

Don't perceive me wrong while I'm here… I am here for business. I take this lifestyle very seriously (as I know many, many of you do as well), I bust my ass, and I eat up every second of it. I don't fish for compliments nor do I expect any. I actually take offence to ones I do not feel I deserve. I am my own hardest judge and will criticize my physique and others without sugar coating anything. I feel we live in a world of everlasting progress so we need to be continually pushed to the limits to achieve our true potential and praise is more greatly appreciated when it is not handed out like pennies. I welcome praise when it is deserved and I don’t take offence to harsh criticism for it makes my fire burn brighter. I know I need improvements, I know the time it takes and what it takes to get there. I am willing and ready for this journey and all that it brings. With Jr. Nationals in sight I no longer see a flame… I now see an inferno of passion and dedication. I need the stage, I live for the stage, as sometimes it and the gym are sometimes the only places I feel at home.

This journey will be my trials and tribulations to my first "bulk" and mass building diet and training.
This is what I will be starting tomorrow;
I am doubling my fat intake - taking it from 30 to 60 for the next 3 weeks and will be adding another 10-15 grams in weeks 4-6.
I am also doubling my carbs - taking it from 115 to 230. & will reevaluate after 3 weeks changing them in weeks 4-6.
My protein will be lowered due to the increase in fat and carbs and will remain efficient at 1 gram per body pound. I assume my weight will jump up to 145 this week pretty quickly so 145 is the lucky number for protein.
(I welcome suggestions on these macros for this is my first bulk & I pray it be successful)

I will be lowering my reps back down to 6-8 and lift as heavy as I can. This is my favorite training approach so I will loving every moment of this.

I will go ahead and post some pictures for my two contests tonight and tomorrow will start my daily tracking.

Thanks for welcoming me and I welcome you to my journey.

Yours in the passion for success,
Ashley Brand

Cellerator65
11-10-08, 11:20 pm
Welcome to the Forvm, you'll find alot of help here... not only help, but people here to push you and make sure you fulfill your goals. Good luck!

Firedrake
11-10-08, 11:25 pm
Congrats on your placing, and welcome to the Forum. It looks like you have a good plan, and are focused on your goal. I looked forward to staying along for the ride.

'drake

Ashley_Brand
11-10-08, 11:49 pm
Hey guys, thanks for welcoming me in. I appreciate it.

Here's the pictures for my contests:

March 2008 Southern Indiana Figure Championship
- I was well conditioned just still kind of small -
Presentation Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/_MG_00761.jpg
Front Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/82C21.jpg
Side Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/701.jpg
Back Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/_MG_00771.jpg

November 7 & 8 Kentucky Muscle Figure Championship
(excuse the poor quality pictures this is all I have for now)
Presentation Pose (my posing has majorly improved since last show)
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/100_0111.jpg
After the show quick snapshot
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/PB080085.jpg
Front Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/PB070037-1.jpg
Side Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/PB070028.jpg
Back Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/PB070042-1.jpg

nck219
11-11-08, 12:08 am
Guys, this girl is for real...She lives, eats, sleeps and breathes training and dieting. I live with her and I get to see it everyday. She outrains most of the guys at our gym lol. Im prolly the luckiest guy in the world to have a fiance that embraces this lifestyle the way she does...She is very knowledgable with training and dieting and shes a personal trainer. Deffinately a great addition to the forvm...

Ashley_Brand
11-11-08, 12:59 am
Guys, this girl is for real...She lives, eats, sleeps and breathes training and dieting. I live with her and I get to see it everyday. She outrains most of the guys at our gym lol. Im prolly the luckiest guy in the world to have a fiance that embraces this lifestyle the way she does...She is very knowledgable with training and dieting and shes a personal trainer. Deffinately a great addition to the forvm...

awh, check out our gay matching names. Haha just kiddin'. Thanks Nick, I've learned to love this lifestyle through you. You've created a MONSTER!!! ;)

Ashley_Brand
11-11-08, 1:39 am
Just put this together: Starting tomorrow this is the meal plan.

Post Contest Rebound Bulk Weeks 1-4
Start Date: November 11, 2008

2 Egg Whites 2 Whole Eggs Cup Oats 1.5 Tsp Flax
31.8 128 293 63 515.8 cals
1.2 8 5 7 21.2 fat
.48 2 52 0 54.48 carb
7.2 12 10 0 29.2 pro

4 oz Chicken 4 oz Sweet Potato Cup Green Veg
100.5 105.16 20 225.16 cals
.5 .2 0 .7 fat
0 23.6 5 28.6 carb
24 2.24 0 26.24 pro

English Muffin 2 Tbsp. Peanut Butter
125 171 296 cals
1 11 12 fat
24 8 32 carb
5 10 15 pro

4 oz Chicken Cup Rice
100.5 157 257.5 cals
.5 1 1.5 fat
0 33 33 carb
24 4 28 pro

Protein Scoop Cup Oats
110 293 403 cals
5 1 6 fat
52 3 55 carb
10 25.6 35.6 pro

Tuna Can ½ Cup Oats Tbsp Flax
110 146.5 125 381.5 cals
2 2.5 14 18.5 fat
1 26 0 27 carb
22 .5 0 22.5 pro

Meal Plan Totals:
2078.96 Cals
59.9 Fat
230.08 Carbs
156.54 Protein

B Con
11-11-08, 7:06 am
Subbed for any beast Nick helped create. I saw you back at the Arnold last year working out and I remember Nick telling me about all the people wanting you to join their company...maybe something about american gladiators as well haha good stuff...

Hopefully both of you can come to the arnold as well this year...

Tron
11-11-08, 9:45 am
Congrats on picking up your division and coming up in the top four this past weekend! That's phenomenal!

Ashley_Brand
11-11-08, 11:05 am
Here's a more reable version of my weeks 1-4 diet. I guess my first microsoft document didn't convert well and just turned into a jumbled number mess. Hopefully this one is more comprehensible.

Post Contest (KM) Rebound Bulk Weeks 1-4
Start Date: November 11, 2008

2 Egg Whites / 2 Whole Eggs / Cup Oats / 1.5 Tsp Flax
515.8 cals
21.2 fat
54.48 carbs
29.2 pro

4 oz Chicken / 4 oz Sweet Potato / Cup Green Veg
225.16 cals
.7 fat
28.6 carbs
26.24 pro

English Muffin / 2 Tbsp. Peanut Butter
296 cals
12 fat
32 carbs
15 pro

4 oz Chicken / Cup Rice
257.5 cals
1.5 fat
33 carbs
28 pro

MP Scoop / Cup Oats
403 cals
6 fat
55 carbs
35.6 pro

Tuna Can / ½ Cup Oats / Tbsp Flax
381.5 cals
18.5 fat
27 carbs
22.5 pro

Diet Daily Totals:
2078.96 Cals
59.9 Fat
230.08 Carbs
156.54 Protein

Ashley_Brand
11-11-08, 11:11 am
Subbed for any beast Nick helped create. I saw you back at the Arnold last year working out and I remember Nick telling me about all the people wanting you to join their company...maybe something about american gladiators as well haha good stuff...

Hopefully both of you can come to the arnold as well this year...

Hey B Con! We will FOR SURE be at the Arnold this year. That was by far one of the best weekends of my life. I actually had toyed around with the idea of doing the Arnold Amateur
but decided just to enjoy of expo and everything else while I was there. Nick would be upset if I cut into his Cage time ;) And plus I loved working out at the Metro Fitness so I would want to be there every night. It was awesome seeing all the pro's and everyone else in the gym environment. Talk about insanely motivating. I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!!

Ashley_Brand
11-11-08, 11:13 am
Congrats on picking up your division and coming up in the top four this past weekend! That's phenomenal!

Hey Tron!! Thanks a bunch! When are you coming back over for a visit? Ready to flip some more tires? ;)

Ashley_Brand
11-12-08, 12:10 am
Tonight I did Legs. Before I log my workout let me tell you a little about the way I do my work. I always pay close attention to flawless form and I listen to my body. From the beginning of my workout days I have always payed very close attention to quality reps. Over the past couple years doing that has helped me develop an insane mind muscle connection. If there is a certain exercise that I can't quite feel right I do it over and over again to form that connection. Some of my weights may not be that big but trust me when I say they are quality. I don't do things to look good on paper, I normally don't even track my workouts...so this part of the journey is kind of new to me and I hope I stick with it. Everytime I step into the gym I know what bodypart will be getting hit that day, I very seldomly have a structured workout planned. Once I get in there I slip into my own world and just get started. Sometimes having a piece of paper and stopping and writing takes me out of my game. I like to stay focused and just let that guide me.

Ok. Ok. So heres a workout for tonight....
(with weights I do not include estimated sled weight just plates)

Warmed up with with 95 lb squats for 15 reps
Started in on my sets...
Squats - 4 sets of 135x8
Composite Motion Leg Press - 4 sets of 145x8 1 set of 145x12
Hack Squat - 4 sets of 70x8
Leg Extension (toes pt. out) 90x10 - 4 sets of 100x8
Leg Press High Wide Feet (Glute Tie in Focus) 4 sets of 180x10
Seated Ham Curl - 3 sets 135x8 135x12
Leg Press Calves - 6 sets 180x8
Horizontal Leg Press Calves - 6 sets 180x15
Ab/Ad Machine - Inner: 4 sets 65x12 Outer: 4 sets 35x10

Ashley_Brand
11-12-08, 2:23 am
I got some more stage shots from this past weekend from Steve Rose of Hardfitness.com. This is some of what he sent me. (much better quality)

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/n1402591805_30136783_6692-1.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/n1402591805_30136773_1565-1.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/n1402591805_30136776_2428.jpg

in order: 1st place, 2nd place, 4th place
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/n1402591805_30136782_6467.jpg

Ashley_Brand
11-12-08, 2:39 am
forgot to include this one...

this is Nick (Nck219) and I eating Blueberry muffins while getting ready for prejudging. That little thing was woooonnnndddeerrrrfulllll....

I didn't think Nick ever posted too many pics on here so I thought I would take the liberty of doing it for him.... please don't hit me too hard Nick ;)

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/n47200921_32758978_7463.jpg

B Con
11-12-08, 5:30 am
Hey B Con! We will FOR SURE be at the Arnold this year. That was by far one of the best weekends of my life. I actually had toyed around with the idea of doing the Arnold Amateur
but decided just to enjoy of expo and everything else while I was there. Nick would be upset if I cut into his Cage time ;) And plus I loved working out at the Metro Fitness so I would want to be there every night. It was awesome seeing all the pro's and everyone else in the gym environment. Talk about insanely motivating. I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!!

I can't wait as well and that atmosphere at Metro was just INSANE.

Speaking of INSANE, that is a hell of a leg day... very impressed.

Ashley_Brand
11-12-08, 1:43 pm
Well.... just got my scoresheet today from the contest last weekend.

Took me a minture to figure out how to read it but I was thrilled to get my hands on it. (felt like Christmas!)

Looks like there were 15 in my class... for some reason I thought there were 17-20. With the whole whirl wind of the weekend though I didn't count em'. (this was a two day show-pretty difficult!)

Ok... so heres the break down... looks like I held my own in the two piece round winning that round 5 points. Every judge but two of them put me in the top slot.

I thought this was interesting... and I wonder if all shows do this or if its just a Kentucky thing. At the competitors meeting they explained to us that our top two scores along with our bottom two scores would all be thrown out. So basically on a Judging Panel of 9 judges only 5 would end up counting.

In the one piece round... man o' man, talk about motivating. It was a tie. Way toooooo frickin' close for comfort. My heart dropped when I saw this. I was told by my little support squad out there in the audience ;) that I had filled out more for the one piece round and actually looked better... so maybe they liked me a little bit harder like I was in two piece round? Unsure, but extremely thankful!!!

Top Three Breakdown:
Ashley Brand - 13 pt. total - Placing:1
Michelle Grissom - 18 pt. total - Placing:2
Amanda Moran - 31 pt. total - Placing:3

I wonder if I can get my hot little hands on that overall comparison sheet.... Hmmm... gotta do some digging ;)

IRBS
11-12-08, 2:02 pm
Congrats on your success, hope you continue to do well.

Ashley_Brand
11-12-08, 2:19 pm
Congrats on your success, hope you continue to do well.

Thanks abunch! it's appreciated!

Ashley_Brand
11-13-08, 12:42 am
Back Day... my favorite day of the week.

After evaluating my photos from this past contest I've added another back day to my training split. One regular all out back day and another day to isolate middle back and get that really thickened up.

This is what tonight looked like...

Warmed up with some Wide Grip Pulldowns... 80x12
Started in on my sets....

Wide Grip Pulldowns
100x10 110x8 120x8 120x6 burnt it out with a quick 100x10

Chest Supported T-Bar Rows (the arm on this thing weighs quite a bit)
20x12 25x8 30x6 30x6 30x6

DB Row
35x12 45x10 50x8 50x6 50x6

High Row Standing Upper Lat Isolated Pulldown
(lol extremely long name. I don't know how many figure girls are on here or if anyone has a figure girl for a girlfriend but this exercise is a blessing for a beautiful V-taper! Amazing burn!)
25x10 35x8 35x8 35x8 35x8

Seated High Row Reverse Grip Pulldowns
35x8 40x7 40x7 40x7

Rear Delt Cable Cross Over
20x15 30x10 30x10 30x10

that concludes back from the day ;)

Right now I'm enjoying my time off from cardio. I'm starting to feel a little sluggish and cranky though. Next week I'm going to start doing 20 minutes maintance cardio probably about 3-4 times a week just to keep feeling fresh. So far with the diet I don't really know what to think since I haven't been able to stick to it all the way through yet.

Went to eat at Sonic today for lunch and then ate at my fiances parents house for dinner.

Its nice to be able to go places and eat with other people... nice to build back up my relationships after my contest prep. That's something I need to work on... During prep time I get consumed by everything contest related and pretty much remove myself from everything 6 weeks out. I let it become my entire life. It's the way I function best, but sometimes it's hard. Some will tell me that it's a lack of will power... and I see that... but its just the way I keep my head right. & I'll do whatever to get the job done.

So for right now I'm going to rebuild relationships and eat some icecream with the fam ;)

I'm still keeping a little bit of a daily mental journal of what I'm eating to make sure I'm getting enough and I'm not far off. The rest of the week should go pretty well.

Ashley_Brand
11-13-08, 1:15 am
since we're talking about backs I thought this was pretty crazy...

check out the difference from my first show to the second..

first (end of March)
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/100_1997.jpg

second (early Nov.)
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/overall8.jpg

man.... I love it when hard work pays off. Looking through stuff like this just makes me want to bust ass these next 7 months to Jr.Nationals even harder.

::: Let us not become weary in doing good, for at a proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. :::

Cstlfx
11-13-08, 2:29 am
Wow, only 22 and you're already looking like that. That is superb. The work absolutely shows between your first and second show. Keep up the hard work, play your cards right, and hopefully we'll have another Animal hitting the pro stage soon enough.

Ashley_Brand
11-13-08, 2:44 am
Wow, only 22 and you're already looking like that. That is superb. The work absolutely shows between your first and second show. Keep up the hard work, play your cards right, and hopefully we'll have another Animal hitting the pro stage soon enough.

Thanks! I love looking back at those progress pictures. Keeps me grounded and my sights high. Oh the sweet sound of a pro stage... can't wait. Just have to put in my time first & I'm so up for the challenge. Hopefully in a couple years I can put IFBB infront of my name. Has a nice ring to it don't cha think ;)

B Con
11-13-08, 7:27 am
Nice back progress... your hard work is definitely paying off.

Glad to see you posted a pic of Nick as well haha I'm sure he was thrilled

Toni69
11-13-08, 7:52 am
hey gorgeous! of course I remember you. Great to see you here with us and the amazing work your doin; you look fantastic young lady! I will be at the Arnold (not competing) this year, so hopefully this time we can maybe get some training in and some girl talk...

hit me up here whenever you want. Im not back in the swing of things yet, but will be shortly. Sweeping the floor you say huh? LOL...driving isnt so pleasant, that's for sure. LOL

talk to you soon and I will be checking in on you too...your an inspiration to many, including me. You will surely keep me on my toes! ;)

Ashley_Brand
11-13-08, 10:03 am
hey gorgeous! of course I remember you. Great to see you here with us and the amazing work your doin; you look fantastic young lady! I will be at the Arnold (not competing) this year, so hopefully this time we can maybe get some training in and some girl talk...

hit me up here whenever you want. Im not back in the swing of things yet, but will be shortly. Sweeping the floor you say huh? LOL...driving isnt so pleasant, that's for sure. LOL

talk to you soon and I will be checking in on you too...your an inspiration to many, including me. You will surely keep me on my toes! ;)

I'll definitly be hitting you up from time to time.. Last year I did one your back workouts and holy crap, looooovvvveeedddd it! ... you throw together some amazing stuff girl! :)

Can't wait for the Arnold!

Ashley_Brand
11-13-08, 10:13 am
Speaking of the Arnold... found a few pic's from last year...

Nick & I @ the Metro Fitness Lift - sportin our Animal :)
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/100_1862.jpg

Toni & I @ the Expo (excuse that I look 10 years old- ha just wayyy too excited to be there)
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/100_1820.jpg

Me & the Lad
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/100_1884.jpg

Nick & Evan
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/100_1890.jpg

Nick & Big Ant (can't wait to see him again he was incredibly nice!)
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/100_1886.jpg

Me & Kyla - huge fan of her and her brother
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/100_1879.jpg

I didn't get any pictures with him or anything (my camera went dead!)... but he was one of my favorite and Nicks to meet and that's Eric.... Naturalguy formly known as Intensity. Just wanted to give him a quick shout out, he was awesome to stand and talk to and really made our first expo experience amazing. Great guy, can't wait to catch up this year!

yes I know.... I'm a picture posting fool. Just wait until this year! PICTURES GALORE!

Ashley_Brand
11-13-08, 2:41 pm
Just got back from a quick run to the gym...

I think that I've caught the local virus going around. Its been developing for the past 3 days. I thought it would pass nicely but this morning it was apparent it wanted to come full force today. Feeling better after getting the blood flowing though. Should be back 100% in just a couple days I hope.

Here's my quick 45 minute arm training I did today. Pump was insane... all these carbs are working out really nice :)

I've switched my arm workouts to Triceps first because I think they need the most focus.

Triceps:
Warmed up with pushdowns 60x12
Started in on my sets...

Tricep V Bar Pushdowns
90x10 110x8 110x8 110x8

Body Weight Bench Dips
10 10 10 10 10

Close Grip Bench
65x10 85x6 85x6 85x6

Biceps:
Warmed up with alternating DB Curls 15x25
Started in on my sets...

Seated DB Alternating Curls
25x10 30x6 30x7 30x8

Barbell Curls
50x12 60x6 60x6 60x6(drop set)30x15

Cable Cross Over Stretch Curls
(one of my favorite bicep exercises- I step all the way forward practically out of the cable crossover frame letting my biceps stretch all the way back and then slowly contract up and squeeze; lower all the way back down to a complete stretch. AMAZING.)
40x10 50x6 50x6 40x10

A little Seated Calves...
60x15 80x12 90x10 90x10 90x10

deanna7272
11-13-08, 3:00 pm
Hey girl... Just subbing in and catching up!!! You look fantastic and I am sure have one heck of a career ahead of you!!! Hope to hear and see more from you!!!

Keep in touch and keep inspiring!!! Dream Big Girl!!

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
11-13-08, 6:05 pm
Keep up the solid effort. With the dedication and determination you posess, there's no doubt that you will achieve any goal you set for yourself. I'll be stopping by here and there to see what's good. Take care and Train hard.

Ashley_Brand
11-14-08, 4:03 pm
I'll post my workout real quick before I get my food together for work..

Today I did Shoudlers and Middle Back.
It took me awhile to get warmed up.. my body is feeling pretty stiff. I think it's due to the fact that right after a contest prep I ran back into the gym to slam it with no time off. No big deal, it will cope.

DB Presses:
30x10 30x10 30x10
(35's were taken otherwise I would have lower the reps)
-Im ashamed to say Im still in the 30's this number should be much bigger-
(I give myself 2 weeks to throw up the 40's)

One Arm Side Laterals (put a little umph into them today- felt nice)
25x10 30x10 30x10 30x10

Cable Upright Rows
Warmed up wth 80x10
110x8 120x8 120x8 120x8(drop set)70x12

Shrugs
35x15 45x10 45x10 45x10(drop set)30x20

Low Cable Rows
Warm up 80x12
110x10 120x8 120x8 x120x8 120x8

Close Parallel Grip Pulldowns
100X8 100X8 120X8 120X8 (I felt like my lats were going to rip off!*smile*)

Machine Seated Row (used handle in parallel grip motion)
80x10 80x10 80x10 80x10 80x10

This was my first time doing shoulders and middle back together and I must say I loved it. Since I do both body parts twice a week and on the other days they are isolated by themselves its fine for me to do two major body parts in one workout. I got crazy pumps in both today and..... it was awesome. ;)

Started back in with my morning weigh ins: 146.5

Toni69
11-14-08, 4:09 pm
nice wo young lady...

let me suggest for your shoulder strength...start hitting seated or standing (alt wk to wk) smitty presses, wide grip and I mean wide. Now standing is gonna be harder on you and harder on the low back, so core strength and your overall foot position is crucial here.

When we meet at the Arnold, let me show you a few tricks I have up my sleeve..I know you will enjoy what I have to offer your training...trust me.

Awesome work and your pics prove your hard work and dedication is paying off beautifully.

I shall return to check on you! I expect only blood, sweat and tears...with a smile from my fellow female animals!

Ashley_Brand
11-14-08, 4:18 pm
nice wo young lady...

let me suggest for your shoulder strength...start hitting seated or standing (alt wk to wk) smitty presses, wide grip and I mean wide. Now standing is gonna be harder on you and harder on the low back, so core strength and your overall foot position is crucial here.

When we meet at the Arnold, let me show you a few tricks I have up my sleeve..I know you will enjoy what I have to offer your training...trust me.

Awesome work and your pics prove your hard work and dedication is paying off beautifully.

I shall return to check on you! I expect only blood, sweat and tears...with a smile from my fellow female animals!

TONI! Wonderful suggestions.. will do. I'll always take your advice seriously for you are one tough lady! :)
THANKS!

I havent done smith presses in about two weeks.. it will be nice to work them back in with a wider grip. I'll let cha know how it goes early next week.

My core strength in down because I injured my lower back pretty badly about 4 weeks ago. Some things still tweak it so Im being careful. I'll do seated for now and when fully recovered try standing.

I love new tricks :) Cant wait!

BigAnt
11-14-08, 4:21 pm
I was checking out your thread...Congrats!

YOU LOOK GREAT!

I get the mag Kentucly muscle..will you be in that?

How is your man doing?

Did you book your room for the Arnld weekend yet?

Ashley_Brand
11-14-08, 4:34 pm
I was checking out your thread...Congrats!
YOU LOOK GREAT!
I get the mag Kentucly muscle..will you be in that?
How is your man doing?
Did you book your room for the Arnld weekend yet?

HEY BIG ANT!!! I hope you are doing well!
Thanks for comin by.

I don't know if I'll be in that magazine or not, havent heard anything about it. You will have to let me know when you get it if you see me. That would be awesome.

Man... doing good :) still hittin' it hard and looking forward to the Arnold. We got engaged in July so we're real excited about that.

Haven't book our room yet. We're probably not staying the same place we stayed last year so we'll need to start doing some research on where to stay. I bet you've booked yours! Where are all you guys stayin?

firsthorseman97
11-14-08, 7:51 pm
Consider me subbed.

Here is a thread with some info about a hotel that Universal has a block in:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=21131

Ashley_Brand
11-14-08, 8:16 pm
Consider me subbed.

Here is a thread with some info about a hotel that Universal has a block in:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=21131

Hey, welcome! Thanks for dropping that thread by. Appreciated :)

BigAnt
11-14-08, 11:16 pm
HEY BIG ANT!!! I hope you are doing well!
Thanks for comin by.

I don't know if I'll be in that magazine or not, havent heard anything about it. You will have to let me know when you get it if you see me. That would be awesome.

Man... doing good :) still hittin' it hard and looking forward to the Arnold. We got engaged in July so we're real excited about that.

Haven't book our room yet. We're probably not staying the same place we stayed last year so we'll need to start doing some research on where to stay. I bet you've booked yours! Where are all you guys stayin?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats to you and Eric...He was looking swole last year, I bet he added even more lean muslce to his frame!

How is your diet now, not fun to eat the fatty-rich foods when you can huh? LOL

We stay at the hotel that connects to the convention center....

Ashley_Brand
11-15-08, 3:16 pm
Just got back from doing legs on a rainy day...

I touched a piece of Cardio!!!.... haha for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

Workout..

Composite Motion Leg Press
warm up: No weightx12
Started in on my sets...
80x12 125x10 180x8 180x8 180x10 (will bump this up next time-could have pushed harder)

DB Walking Lunges- tired something new today... I used a repeating style.. one side at a time then switched on the way back. I felt like I could focus more on my leg and not so much on the cardio aspect of a walking lunge. Much better for what I'm trying to accomplish.
25'sx10 40'sx8 40'sx8 40'sx8

1 1/4 Leg Extensions (these kkkkiiillllllllll)
60x10 80x8 90x6 90x6 90x6

Prone Ham Leg Curl
90x10 110x8 120x6 120x6 120x6(drop set)80x12

Calves
200x12 200x12 200x12(drop)160x10(drop)120x10 -did that drop set twice-

Thought of the day:
NPC needs a biiiggggg kick in the jaw for even thinking about introducing a bikini division. Why don't we just go ahead and through a wet t-shirt contest in there. Makes me fuckin' sick and I'm suuupper peeved.

(-oh, and guys.... don't comment on that wet t-shirt thing!) I shall kick you to... jk ;)

diesel1976
11-15-08, 8:22 pm
Hi Ashley, read your journey and you really hit it hard animalette. Your back in those pics is amazing, well done. Keep up your good work and you will be a figure pro.

Ashley_Brand
11-16-08, 2:09 pm
Taking the day off from the gym today... first off day in awhile.
Gonna go hang out with the family & eat ungodly amounts of food.... why??!

BECAUSE I CAN!!!!!! hahaha :) lovin' my cheat days :)

Cstlfx
11-16-08, 3:13 pm
Taking the day off from the gym today... first off day in awhile.
Gonna go hang out with the family & eat ungodly amounts of food.... why??!

BECAUSE I CAN!!!!!! hahaha :) lovin' my cheat days :)

Yes! Cheat days rule. Thankfully you're using it to its fullest extent. Have fun, eat until you cant cram anymore in.

Ashley_Brand
11-17-08, 10:50 pm
Not real thrilled with todays workout but still burnt shoulders out pretty good.

Shoulders looked like this...

Smith Presses (xtra wide-pinkys all the way to the ends)
50x10(behind) 70x6(b) 70x6(front) 70x6(f) 70x6(b)

Side Laterals
25'sx8 30'sx6 30'sx6 30'sx6(drop)15'sx10

Seated Side Laterals
15'sx10 15'sx10 15'sx10
-superset with-
Incline Front Raises
10x10 10x10 10x10

Bent Over Rear Flyes (one arm)
12x15 15x10 20x10 20x10 20x10

Pec Dec Read Flyes (I feel stupid posting these low numbers but this machine is outrageously heavy just by itself)
30x8 30x8 30x8 20x15 20x15 20x15

Seated Calves (trying to get my reps up on calves this week)
35x30 35x30 35x30 35x30 35x30

I think my weekend caught up with me today. That goes to show how much everyday really does counts. I made sure that I still hit shoulders really hard but it doesn't feel great that I may have scraped off a little bit of my progress tonight... I'll make up for it though. Promise.

On another note... got a new job today. Maybe I can finally start making some money. I'm going to start my job training tomorrow to be a personal trainer at a different gym in town. It's the biggest gym in town (3 locations) so hopefully that means lots of clients! Nicks happy because there's bigger dumbbells there. He's a very simple man to please lol :)

Well that concludes tonight. Oh and Congrats to Nick for getting ABC Southern Indiana Coordinator. Whatta stud ;)

Joshua F
11-18-08, 3:55 am
Hey guys, thanks for welcoming me in. I appreciate it.

Here's the pictures for my contests:

March 2008 Southern Indiana Figure Championship
- I was well conditioned just still kind of small -
Presentation Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/_MG_00761.jpg
Front Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/82C21.jpg
Side Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/701.jpg
Back Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/_MG_00771.jpg

November 7 & 8 Kentucky Muscle Figure Championship
(excuse the poor quality pictures this is all I have for now)
Presentation Pose (my posing has majorly improved since last show)
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/100_0111.jpg
After the show quick snapshot
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/PB080085.jpg
Front Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/PB070037-1.jpg
Side Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/PB070028.jpg
Back Pose
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/AshleyB219/PB070042-1.jpg

Geat Job Ashley!!!!!!!!!! welcome to the board. you are doing a great job keep it up! consistency is what make a true champion!!!!! Feel free to ask if need advice!!!!!!!

Ashley_Brand
11-18-08, 8:22 am
Hey Josh! thanks for coming by! I appreciate your offer for advice :) I'm sure I'll take you up on that. Good luck at Nationals this weekend! Can't wait to check how you do! Be thinkin' about ya...

B Con
11-18-08, 11:18 am
Congrats on the new job and for Nick taking ya out! :)

Ashley_Brand
11-18-08, 11:23 am
Applied for suit sponsorship today that was being offered for the 2009 season...

I submitted my bio/pictures and got a reply pretty quick being thanked. So I'll hang tight until December; that's when they will announce new athletes.

Dang... what a Christmas present that would be. *I'll be praying*

Less money on suits = more contest money & multiple contests! With in turn translates to.... possible trip to New York or Veeggggaasss after Chicago..... hhmmm.... nice. *smile*

Ashley_Brand
11-18-08, 11:24 am
Congrats on the new job and for Nick taking ya out! :)

Hey thanks!
Do you have reservations for the Arnold yet B Con?

B Con
11-18-08, 11:36 am
Hey thanks!
Do you have reservations for the Arnold yet B Con?

Please call me Burt :)

Yea I got reservations about a month ago.

Ashley_Brand
11-18-08, 11:41 am
You got it Burt :)

We havent decided yet where we're going to stay... hopefully we'll get on that soon. Last year we stayed about 25 minutes away... not that bad but it would be awesome to get closer. It would nice to hop back into the hotel for lunch or something... I carried my whole days food around all weekend last year. My shoulder was practically numb every single day(not like I was the only one doing it though). I won't be prepping this year though.. last year I was about 5 weeks out. It was awesome having the Arnold right there towards the end... talk about recharging your prep.

B Con
11-18-08, 11:44 am
You got it Burt :)

We havent decided yet where we're going to stay... hopefully we'll get on that soon. Last year we stayed about 25 minutes away... not that bad but it would be awesome to get closer. It would nice to hop back into the hotel for lunch or something... I carried my whole days food around all weekend last year. My shoulder was practically numb every single day(not like I was the only one doing it though). I won't be prepping this year though.. last year I was about 5 weeks out. It was awesome having the Arnold right there towards the end... talk about recharging your prep.

haha I can only imagine... I didn't carry food around but went around on a "protein shake sample" binge every few hours... not the best but it covered until I went out for a break and got the food in me.

I'm staying about a mile away... last year stayed at a roach motel!

Ashley_Brand
11-18-08, 12:05 pm
haha, I think I heard them talking about a roach hotel! I'm not high mantienence but I would perfer no roachs :)

Joshua F
11-18-08, 11:12 pm
Hey Josh! thanks for coming by! I appreciate your offer for advice :) I'm sure I'll take you up on that. Good luck at Nationals this weekend! Can't wait to check how you do! Be thinkin' about ya...

Thanks and stay tune!!!!

Ashley_Brand
11-18-08, 11:23 pm
Did a little back tonight... nothing crazy though. Just kept it basic with 3 solid movements. My joints have been feeling a little pressure lately but they're gettin' there.

Lat Pulldowns
80x12 120x8 120x8 130x6 130x6

Straight Arm Pulldowns
100x10 110x6 110x6 110x6(drop)80x10

Chest Supported TBar Rows (arm weighs quite a bit)
25x10 35x6 35x6 35x6

B Con
11-19-08, 7:42 am
haha, I think I heard them talking about a roach hotel! I'm not high mantienence but I would perfer no roachs :)

I'll have to ask Nick about this one hahaha

And I am a big fan of simple effective back workouts... great work!

nck219
11-19-08, 8:15 am
I'll have to ask Nick about this one hahaha

And I am a big fan of simple effective back workouts... great work!

oooo boy...I can only LOL at this one...

Ashley_Brand
11-19-08, 11:41 am
oooo boy...I can only LOL at this one...

keep laughin Mr.I eat all the oatmeal and leave Ashley to starve.

:)

Toni69
11-19-08, 11:49 am
private jokes here I see, LOL

hey lady! you book your plane tickets yet? Im about to for arriving thurs night and leaving sun morning and it $337..woohooo.

where you gonna stay? any ideas yet? pm me cause I wanna get togther with you...if you want. Im not like trying to stalk you or anything..geez. LOL

I actually wanna have a word about goin figure and some details about how you do what you do so damn well.

nck219
11-19-08, 4:46 pm

hey lady! you book your plane tickets yet? Im about to for arriving thurs night and leaving sun morning and it $337..woohooo.

where you gonna stay? any ideas yet? pm me cause I wanna get togther with you...if you want. Im not like trying to stalk you or anything..geez. LOL

I actually wanna have a word about goin figure and some details about how you do what you do so damn well.

plane tickets?! I'll be the one stuck with driving duties lol....Its only about 5 1/2 hours tho. Nothin' too crazy. Ash likes to snooze once she gets in the car tho lol.

nck219
11-19-08, 8:11 pm
keep laughin Mr.I eat all the oatmeal and leave Ashley to starve.

You'll be happy to know I bought 2 boxes of oatmeal this evening... lol

Ashley_Brand
11-19-08, 9:59 pm

yeah private jokes... lol... he woke me up this morning saying "I have bad news.... I ate all the oatmeal." dang kid knows I eat oatmeal first thing in the morning! He got TWO boxes to make it for it though :) lol.

Yeah, no plane tickets for us thank god. Just a little drive and a long nap ;)

We havent looked at any places yet. We need to get after it. Last year we stayed like 25 mintues away so we probably wont be staying there again... somewhere closer. I will let you know when we figure something out.. you do the same.

Going figure?! Thats cool! Tryin' new things is always fun! What sparked this decision? I would love to chit chat about it!

Ashley_Brand
11-19-08, 11:50 pm
Did arms tonight after work...
First workout at the new gym.... played with all my new toys :)

Bi's
Alternating DB Curls
30x6 30x8 35x6 30x6(drop)15x12

Barbell Curls
40x10 50x8 50x10 60x6 50x8(drop)25x10

Hammer Curls
25x10 25x8 25x8
-superset with-
Incline DB Curls
15x10 15x10 15x10

Tri's
Machine Extensions
50x10 50x10 50x10 50x10

One Arm Rope Extensions
30x8 30x8 30x8

Vbar Extensions
60x10 80x8 80x8 70x8

Close Grip Bench
65x10 85x8 85x8 85x8
-superset with-
Lying Press DB Press Through
25x10 30x8 30x8 30x8

Calves..
Standing
90x10 70x15 90x10 70x15 90x10 90x10

Seated
45x20 45x20 45x20 90x10 90x10 90x10

Felt a little different tonight since I was in a new atmosphere which doubles as my new place of employment. I wanted to look approachable and welcoming so I tried not to fall too deep into my own world. Which is the extreme opposite of how I train at my other gym.

This may be quite the change for me. I almost think it would be best for me to remain training at my old gym... this new one I don't think my style of training fits in very much... plus at the old gym there is more motivation and better equipment. Way more drama there though... but hey, thats what headphones are for.

I'll probably work out at this new place as much as I can for awhile. That way people get accustomed to seeing my face and so they know I practice what I preach. I can make do anywhere though... so I guess I'll just have to see how everything goes. As far as the new job.... lovin' it so far!

B Con
11-20-08, 7:37 am
Ashley getting the guns? Watch out... great workout!

Ashley_Brand
11-20-08, 5:03 pm
I hate cold gyms. Why the hell would someone want it to be cold in a gym?!

I was planning on working out legs at my new job but instead I stood up front from 9-3 freezing my ass off! The only thing I could think about was walking through the snow flurries to my car and blasting the heat. There was no way I would have ever went and put on a tank top and worked out.

Oh I know, I know, once you get moving it would be fine. I would have had to run 3 miles before breaking a sweat in that place... and I am NOT a runner. I look kinda like Gumby when I try.... "A" for effort.... yeah, not so much in my case...

First thing on my Christmas list....
Under Armour thermals!

scals
11-21-08, 10:06 pm
Hey just stopped by your journey. Youre looking great and so are your workouts.

Ashley_Brand
11-21-08, 11:45 pm
Hey just stopped by your journey. Youre looking great and so are your workouts.

Thanks Scals! Love that you stopped by~ keep comin' back :)

Ashley_Brand
11-22-08, 12:00 am
Did legs tonight....

Composite Motion Leg Press
45x15 80x10 180x8 180x8 180x8

Smith Squats (goin' easy for the lower back-still kind of feeling tweaked)
100x10 120x6 120x6 120x6

Stiff Leg Deads (kept reps moderately high again due to the lower back)
85x10 85x10 85x10 85x10 85x10

Leg Extensions
70x12 100x8 120x6 120x6 120x6 80x15 80x15

Seated Ham Curl
120x12 135x10 135x10 135x10

Outer Thigh
30x12 40x10 40x10 40x10

Leg Press Calves
140x25 160x20 160x20 200x10 200x10 200x10

I may chill out on the squats for awhile longer. Now that I did that today my lower back has a dull constant pain again. I have to be careful when it feels like this; sometimes after certain movements in turns to a real quick severe pain. Back injuries are scary stuff; they go from tolerable to serious reallllll quick.
Took some Tylenol PM though so hopefully that helps a little... if not I'm breaking out the serious pain meds from when I injured it before. I hate doing that though... makes me sick to my stomach once they start to wear off & I hold water like crazy in my abdominal area.

On a better note!! Christmas is just around the corner so it's time to start picking things out! Back to my internet shopping :) .....

deanna7272
11-22-08, 12:17 am
Ohhhh girl... Take care of that back... I've been through 2 back surgeries... It's a long hard road recovering, you are smart to try back off until you're feeling up to it... I've always said (to myself) that the pain "IN" the back was okay, it's the NERVE pain that I worry about. Thoughout the years that I dealt with it, I never felt pain IN my back, it was ALWAYS down the right leg (sciatica) GOD AWFUL pain... I wish I knew then what I know now... You are a smart girl...

Ashley_Brand
11-22-08, 12:42 pm
I'll be praying until Decemeber 1st when Tamee of Go Figure announces the winners of her suit sponsorships. Oh my gosh I need this so bad, I can't even imagine what it would feel like to be selected.

With me having bigger shows on the agenda it would be a huge ease of mind. Until now I have made all my suits myself, I couldn't afford to buy already decorated ones, and they've turned out wonderful... but for bigger shows it would be such an honor for someone to take time out of their day and actually make one for me, I think that would be amazing. Time is very vaulable and for someone to offer their time like that to make a suit to someone... its an amazing jesture.

I didnt know how expensive it was to do out of town shows until I did the one in Kentucky & it wasn't even that far away from me. That show almost cost me 1000 dollars. (well not all me...) Im lucky to have mom that helps anywhere she can and a fiance who helps everywhere he can. & it's not like any of use can comfortably help pay for all this... we all cut corners and scratch by just so I can have the opportunity to reach my dream. I guess I am just feeling immensely thankful today... especially since times are tough... and we're all just makin' it happen everyday :) Its an amazing world!

naturalguy
11-22-08, 1:34 pm
I just found this journal, keep doing your thing girl!

Ashley_Brand
11-24-08, 11:29 pm
I just found this journal, keep doing your thing girl!

Thanks Eric! I Will!

Ashley_Brand
11-24-08, 11:34 pm
sorry I havent posted in here for awhile.To tell you the truth my workouts have been going pretty shitty. I said I would try to start doing some of my workouts at this new gym but its not going so well.. something just isn't clicking.

I love it as a personal training location just not as "my" gym. I think it would be a good idea to split the two anyways. I dont think my older clients would like to see me grunting and sweating lol. I'll stay focused on "work" at that one.

I've kept my focus for sure & still lifting hard, just haven't gotten my metal satisfaction in a few days. You know what I mean.

I don't have time to waste... back to the home gym tomorrow.

Ashley_Brand
11-24-08, 11:59 pm
I thought this was a nice kick in the ass & I'm going to use to fuel my training for Jr.Nationals.

Stay true to yourself, have a strong backbone, and remember wins at local level dont mean shit on the national stage.

awesome :)

musclealchemist
11-25-08, 12:42 am
I really like your attitude, i wish everyone had a attitude like you. Maybe the people would get more stuff done.

I thought this was a nice kick in the ass & I'm going to use to fuel my training for Jr.Nationals.

Stay true to yourself, have a strong backbone, and remember wins at local level dont mean shit on the national stage.

awesome :)

B Con
11-25-08, 9:01 am
I have been laughing at you running like Gumby for a few days not going to lie.

Ashley_Brand
11-25-08, 10:52 pm
I really like your attitude, i wish everyone had a attitude like you. Maybe the people would get more stuff done.

Thanks, I appreciate that! Maybe I can motivate people :)

I have been laughing at you running like Gumby for a few days not going to lie.

Fair enough ;) it is quite humorous.

Ashley_Brand
11-25-08, 11:01 pm
Smoked legs tonight.... loved every second.

DB Walking Lunges
warm up 25x20
6 sets of lunges / 120 reps with 35lb DB's

Leg Extensions 90x10 110x10 110x10 110x10
-superset with-
DB Front Squat with Plates under heels 3/4 way up (keeping tension)
30x10 30x10 30x10 30x10 (these could freakin' kill without weight if you do them right)

Prone Ham Curl
6 sets of 90x10

I didn't go very heavy on anything tonight, the lower back has progressively been getting worse over the days. I tried a few variations of a squat and nothing really worked out well except the front squat with the DB. I think it was because it hurt so bad in my freaking quads and glutes that I couldnt even feel my back.... nice :)
My back has done this before... I'l keep milkin it for probably about a week more and then some of tension should let off.... as long as I take it easy. It really only bothers with certain things.. so it should be pretty safe, I'll just modify some stuff. I'm not risking anything...

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT THANKSGIVING!!!!

blueIMlifter
11-25-08, 11:09 pm
damn im impressed with your workouts, pictures, and attitude. sounds like you are on your way. best of luck with all of your training. definitely be checkin in to see your progress.

Ashley_Brand
11-25-08, 11:27 pm
damn im impressed with your workouts, pictures, and attitude. sounds like you are on your way. best of luck with all of your training. definitely be checkin in to see your progress.

Thanks so much! I look foward to you stoppin' in.

scals
11-25-08, 11:38 pm
Great leg session Ashley. How often you train legs? I see this one and another one only days apart.

Best of luck with the suit deal. Hope ya get it too. Have a happy turkey day.

Ashley_Brand
11-25-08, 11:54 pm
Great leg session Ashley. How often you train legs? I see this one and another one only days apart.

Best of luck with the suit deal. Hope ya get it too. Have a happy turkey day.

Hey! I train em' twice a week. Usually putting emphasize more on quads in one and then more on hams in the other with a couple exercises that hit both mixed in on both.
I watch it though, if I'm sore I'll space them out a little bit more.
Just have to listen to my body as I go :) So far really great results with twice a week.

Thanks for the good wish on the suit sponsorship. I am so excited/nervous about it. She's announcing winners on Monday. I'm praying! (can't stop thinking about it)

(man, I cant believe it's already almost Decemeber!)

Cstlfx
11-26-08, 12:19 am
Good luck with the suit sponsorship!

Hopefully the back gets better as well, I couldnt stand it with my back hurting. It was always disappointing not being able to do much in the gym.

Ashley_Brand
11-27-08, 11:34 am
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!!

deanna7272
11-27-08, 12:04 pm
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!!

You too girl!!!

Hey, good luck on that sponsorship!!! That would be amazing!! I'll be keeping thinking about ya!!! Every little bit would help you along the way and suits are WAY MORE than A LITTLE BIT...lol I wish you the best!!

Ashley_Brand
11-28-08, 7:27 pm
Jumped in the gym today for some
Middle Back / Chest / & Calves

this is what it looked like...

Low Cable Row
80x15 100x10 140x6 130x6 130x6 130x8

Chest Supported TBAR Row
25X10 35X6 35X6 35X6(DROP)25X8

DB Row
Bent over 45x8 45x8 Standing 35x10 40x10

Pull ups
3x10

Hammer Strength Chest Press
25x10 35x12 45x10 45x10 45x10
-superset with-
Seated Calves
5 sets of 65x15

DB Chest Flyes
15x10 15x10 15x10
-superset with-
Leg Press Calves
3 sets 200x10 - 200x15 220x10 220x10 (6 sets total)

Finished up with 20 minutes on the stairmaster. It feels good to be doing cardio again.
I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

Going out with some new people from work tonight... gotta go get done up :)

scals
11-28-08, 7:35 pm
Solid workout Ashley. Moving some good weight.

Shala123
12-02-08, 12:39 am
Hey ash

Phil800101
12-15-08, 12:24 am
Looks like some great work in here. Consider me subbed!

Ashley_Brand
01-23-09, 7:16 pm
Man o' man it's been awhile. My apologies.

Though I could sit here and tell you all the things that have been going on to distract me from what I love most in life; it's not worth it. I'd rather not relive the moments that took weeks away from what I dream about most; success in my sport.. it's all that I am.. all that I want.

It's time to get back in the game... for it's almost prep time. & I can't express how much I've longed for it... I feel like I had lost my purpose for awhile... I'm glad it's finally returned. I can't expect it not to turn it's back on me if I so easily turn my back on it. So, here I am. Back to where I know other people can relate to how I feel and keep me motivated towards the stage lights.

Though I've disappeared on here for awhile I've still been hitting it hard in the gym.
The last couple weeks have felt more like "going through the motions" rather than doing what I love the most but I've hung in there. I've recently realized that attitude will get me no where on the National Stage and I don't have time to waste on a weak mind. Time to make a turn around....

*"All dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Good to be back...

Cstlfx
01-23-09, 9:10 pm
All right!! Glad to hear your back and doing well. Hit the gym hard and have fun!

nck219
01-23-09, 9:45 pm
Good to see ya back on here babe! Even tho I see you everyday lol... Time to put it into high gear now!

Tron
01-23-09, 10:25 pm
Good to see ya back on here babe! Even tho I see you everyday lol... Time to put it into high gear now!

Ain't they so cute! Ashley... can you get Nick a bigger keychain? He has some issues sometime...

On a more serious note... Good luck on the hard part of dieting down... Although I doubt you of all people need that, haha.

Phil800101
01-24-09, 2:13 am
Great to see you back on here! No worries, it happens to most of us at one time or another.

Ashley_Brand
01-24-09, 6:26 pm
Man it's good to be back! Had a great workout today, felt better than I have in a long time... (besides the underlying lower back issues)

I did Bi's and Ham's today, this is what it looked like...

Bi's

Barbell Curl
w/u 30x15
50x10 50x10 50x10

Don't really know what to call these...
Freemotion High Cable Curls
w/u 20x10
35x10 30x10 30x10

Freemotion Cable Bicep Stretch Curls
w/u 25 each hand x15
35x10 35x10 35x10

One Arm Cable Burn Outs
25x15 25x15 25x15

Ham's

Prone Leg Curls (these numbers are embarrassing but for some reason this machine feels awful!)
w/u 60x10
80x8 70x10 70x10

High Feet Leg Press
270x12 270x15 270x15
-superset with-
Goodmorning
50x12 50x10 50x10 ... these killed my back, I suffered throw 3 light sets though.

Db Lunges
35'sx10 40'sx10 40'sx10

Did some calves and core stuff at the end as well. I've really gotta start hittin' calves good and hard- they need to come up A LOT.

all in all it was pretty good day :)

Cellerator65
01-24-09, 7:19 pm
welcome back

Phil800101
01-26-09, 1:56 pm
Sick session Ashley! I like the superset.

Ashley_Brand
01-26-09, 11:12 pm
Shoulder session today....

it went pretty well, nothing life shattering but decent.

Olympic Bar Wide Grip Presses
85x10 90x8 90x8 (to the back)
90x5 85x6 85x6 (to the front)

Side Laterals
15x12 20x10 20x10 20x10
Ancored one arm
2 sets 25x10

Olympic Bar Upright Rows
45x12 - 3 sets 85x10

Incline DB Front Raises
10x10 12.5x10 12.5x10

Db Shrugs
3 sets 45'sx15

Rear Delt Flyes Machine
3 sets 50x10
DB Rear Flyes
2 sets 15x10

First day with a decent cardio session... figured I better start whipping it up for the Arnold :)
Did 45 on the stairmaster tonight.. felt good to a good cardio session under my belt. Just have to get back in the mind frame of doing it more often and then it'll be smooth sailing. Hopefully I can get there this week, I plan on doing it at least 4 times.

I can't believe it's almost time to start prepping at the end of Feburary. Pretty crazy to feel this close the National Stage.... what an honor.

Ashley_Brand
01-26-09, 11:13 pm
welcome back

Sick session Ashley! I like the superset.

Thanks guys!

B Con
01-27-09, 7:58 am
Ashley you are still killing it in the gym I see? :) I'll see you and Nick in 6 weeks...

Toni69
01-27-09, 8:23 am
hey girl..hope all is well with you and yes, glad to see ya back here. As for your earlier question in my journey, Im gonna go figure for the first time hopefully the end of this year. Im gonna see at the Arnold what some of my guys are gonna recommend as far as my prep is concerned and go from there.

lookin foward to seeing you again...we def gotta grab a bite and maybe train??? im at the best western north columbus convention center..will be at the Arnold all day friday and saturday, leaving very early sunday morning. Pm me so we can exchange cells if you want.

see you soon girl!

Phil800101
01-27-09, 1:55 pm
Solid session Ashley! Attacking the delts from all sides, good stuff. Good luck with the prep.

Ashley_Brand
01-27-09, 5:46 pm
Got into the gym this afternoon for a back and chest session...

I have the day off because of the snow we got last night and the freezing rain today... all my clients called and cancelled sooo... lifting session this afternoon and cardio tonight.

I'm just now starting to do chest once a week hoping that it helps develope my front delts a little more. Not that I have a muscular chest of anything like that but it's plenty muscular for figure once I get dieted down... so I stick with about 2 solid movements and thats usually it for the chest work out... so needless to say it probably will look pretty lame to you bench pressing monsters ;)

Back..

Lat Pulldowns
2 sets 80x10 2 sets 90x10

Barbell Rows
3 sets 100x10

Low Cable Row
3 sets 120x10

Standing Lat Isolation Crunch (with arm on hammer strength pulldown)
35x10 2 sets 35x12

DB Rows
3 sets 45'sx10

I don't ever do chest the day after I do shoulders but my partner wanted to throw it in there.

Chest... Did three exercises today

Incline Bench
3 sets 65x10

Flyes
50x10 50x10 70x6

H/S Iso Lateral Bench Press
3 sets 40x15

Tried a different exercise for rear delts today... felt pretty goofy and incorporated a lot of core but hit the spot.

Load to Rear Delt Unload
Olympic Bar x 2 sets of 10
(using one end of the barbell -other end anchored- perform a shoulder turn while bringing the hand to level of the upper stomach and rotating back controlling it in a external rotation at the shoulder in combination with a posterior fly movement)

Cable Cross Rear Delts
3 sets 30x10

Overall the workout went fairly well; my back was fried by the end of it. So I guess you would consider that a job well done :)

Iceiktitan
01-27-09, 6:28 pm
I wish you continued success on your road to the Jr. National Figure Stage.

Ashley_Brand
01-27-09, 7:00 pm
I wish you continued success on your road to the Jr. National Figure Stage.

Thanks Ice!

Phil800101
01-28-09, 2:25 pm
Killer session Ashley! Great volume.

Ashley_Brand
01-29-09, 11:46 am
Well, gym was closed yesterday due to the ice storms and thousands and thousands of people being without power. I lost my power all Tuesday night and some of Wednesday. Glad that it's back on now though.

They're acting like the gym may not be back up until tomorrow so I may have to venture to another location. Gotta do it though, I'm getting a little stir crazy... I need my Dumbbells :)

On a good note: I've gotten several emails from different companies inquiring about Arnold work this year, which makes me feel very blessed. Right now it's just talk though, so we'll see if any of it goes through. Either way I am dang excited it's coming up.

Sooooo.... that frickin stairmaster better find power because I'm comin' to tear it up. Time to get ready for the Arnold fellas! (soooo... I may be a few weeks late on that statement; but no time like the present!)

Iceiktitan
01-29-09, 1:46 pm
Yo. Tear that stairmaster up ya heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil800101
01-29-09, 1:59 pm
That sucks about the power outage, I know how you feel going stir crazy when the gym is denied. Good luck with the Arnold e-mails, that would be awesome if you got an offer.

naturalguy
01-29-09, 5:19 pm
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/TheCageAd.jpg

Ashley_Brand
01-29-09, 11:59 pm
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/TheCageAd.jpg

That looks awesome Eric!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!

Ashley_Brand
01-30-09, 12:11 am
Did some legs tonight... it was nice to get back into the gym, though hardly anyone was there. I work out on the west side of the city and that whole side is pretty much still without power. Everything seems so desserted and froze over. It's a pretty weird feeling.

Workout went a bit like this...

Squats
95x12 115x10 3 sets of 135x8 deep

1 and 1/4 Leg Extensions
70 for 3 sets of 10

3/4 heels on plates squats (BURN!!!!)
25x10 3 sets 30x10

Reverse Lunges
3 sets 50lb barbell x 10
-superset with-
Isolated 3 foot Box step ups
Body Weight for 3 sets of 10

Finished up with some calves and an HOUR CARDIO!!! Holy moly it's been awhile since I've done that much. I wasn't messin around when I said it's time to get ready for the Arnold. You'll see.... ;) IT'S ALMOST TIME!!!!! (cantcha tell Im a little excited!)

B Con
01-30-09, 5:37 am
Nice to see you and Nick back on here. No power sucks.

That's a sick leg session too...

Iceiktitan
01-30-09, 12:41 pm
Damn girl.....Quick question....How do you know which size of plate to put under your heels when doing this exercise?

3/4 heels on plates squats

Ashley_Brand
01-30-09, 3:34 pm
Damn girl.....Quick question....How do you know which size of plate to put under your heels when doing this exercise?

The thicker the plate is the more it will throw the weight forward hence the extreme quad burn. I would say around 2 - 2.5 inches; I think that's close to what I use.

I do mine as a front squat rotating my hips forward as soon as I start coming up; again that will put even more emphasize on the quads and help with the bum :)

Phil800101
01-30-09, 5:08 pm
Sick wheels session Ashley! Looks pretty brutal, no doubt you're feeling that today.

Iceiktitan
01-30-09, 7:50 pm
Thanx for the answer. You are a helpful resource.

The thicker the plate is the more it will throw the weight forward hence the extreme quad burn. I would say around 2 - 2.5 inches; I think that's close to what I use.

I do mine as a front squat rotating my hips forward as soon as I start coming up; again that will put even more emphasize on the quads and help with the bum :)

Ashley_Brand
01-30-09, 9:27 pm
Sick wheels session Ashley! Looks pretty brutal, no doubt you're feeling that today.

Thanks Phil :)

Thanx for the answer. You are a helpful resource.

No prob, I appreciate being considered a resource ;)

Ashley_Brand
01-30-09, 9:36 pm
Frickin' cold weather. Absoutely hate it. Pisses me off. <just thought I would add that in>

ANYWAYS.......

Did some arms today, felt really good. Flew thru the workout only took about 35 minutes.

Barbell Curls
50x10 60x8 60x8 60x10

Seated DB Hammer Curls
20x10 20x10 20x10

Rope Curls "V"ing out at the top
40x10 50x10 50x10

Cable Stretch Curls
25x15 30x12 30x12 35x10

3 grip Tricep Extension TRISET
wide/ medium/ close
50lbs 3 sets of 30

(Fried after the triset so did two -what I consider- finishing movements at the end)

D handle extensions
3 sets 20x10

Dips
BW x 3 sets of 10

Finished it out with 40 mintues of cardio... Im going to rotate hour days and 40 minute days until I feel it needs adjusted.
Saying that I'm "a little" out of the cardio groove would be an epic understatement.
God Help Me.

Phil800101
01-31-09, 1:51 am
Nice gun show! Alot of work in 35 minutes, no doubt the pump must have been awesome.

Ashley_Brand
02-01-09, 10:16 am
I didn't get a chance to get on here yesterday after my workout so I'll type it up while I'm eating my potatoes and eggs :)

Did some shoulders yesterday.. the gym is still kind of feeling a little deserted.

DB Press
25x10 30x10 30x10 35x8
(still havent got quite comfortable with those 35's... I can do em' with stable good form just for whatever reason feel the 30's better; it just kind of feels more like a "pressure"?)

Side Laterals
15x10 25x10 25x10

Cable Behind Side Laterals
20 x 3 sets of 12

Hammer Stregth Behind the Neck Press
25 x 3 sets of 12

Cable Bent Over Rear Fly
15 x 3 sets of 10

Cable Upright Crossover Rear Flyes
3 sets of 25x15

Did some calves & abs then headed upstairs for an hour cardio. After I get my stuff together heading into the gym for some back... :)

Tron
02-01-09, 12:18 pm
Damn good work right there.

Phil800101
02-01-09, 12:57 pm
Solid session Ashley! Nice and thorough, no doubt your shoulders are toasted.

scals
02-01-09, 4:47 pm
That's some real impressive weights for delts. Nice work.

Ashley_Brand
02-02-09, 10:19 pm
Yesterday......
Back Day.... Went a bit like this.

I tried to hit from every angle today starting from the top...

Lat Pull down
90x10 110x10 3 sets of 130x10

Standing Cable Underhand High Pulls
50x10 3 sets of 60x10

Low Cable Row
3 sets 80x10

Single Arm D Handle Bent Over Cable Rows
3 sets 50x10

Low Back Extensions
3 sets of 12

Standing Lat Isolation Crunch on Cable
4 sets 60x10

felt pretty darn good after this workout. Already sore for sure.
did an hour of cardio.

Today was just cardio day... I decided to do some kettleball stuff and stair running. It felt good to do that instead of my the stairmaster or ellpitical... I suppose I will do it more often :) :)

Ashley_Brand
02-03-09, 11:02 pm
Just did some crazy cardio today.... burned 1247 calories. Holy Moly.

naturalguy
02-04-09, 1:40 pm

Yikes, what did you do for cardio?

Nightshift
02-04-09, 1:43 pm

For the love of Pete!!! 1247calories burned....I think I'd need an oxygen tank and an I.V. drip of some kind!!!! Great job!!!!

Ashley_Brand
02-04-09, 7:47 pm
Yikes, what did you do for cardio?

lol, more like what kind of cardio did I not do!!?

I started out by running the stairs which I think is close to 20. I did up and downs 12 times followed by resistance on the elliptical for 5 minutes and repeated that superset 4 times.

Then I did some up and overs with a tall step box staying low with a weighted bar on my shoulders. Did 5 sets of 30 seconds with those.

On to kettle ball work... With some squat front raise switch hand stuff & some figure 8 stuff.

Circuits with abs (composed of 6 exercises) followed by quick clean and presses with weighted bar.
Finished off with 40 minutes on the stair master and some stretching!

It was actually kinda fun :)

Ashley_Brand
02-04-09, 8:00 pm
Did some shoulders and legs today....
Started out with shoulders...

DB Presses
30x10 30x10 30x6 30x5
My rest was minimal for the last three sets... I wanted to burn them out. I usually try to tweak things often... wether it be reps, weight, or rest time. I like that "new" feeling.

Lateral Raise Machine
4 sets of 40x10
trying to incorporate machines sometimes... to get more powerful. I love free weights but it does take some core to control em' so by doing a machine its strictly business for the muscle.

Barbell Incline Front Raise
3 quick sets of 20x12

DB Front Raises
3 sets of 20x20
-superset-
Shrugs
3 sets 40x10

Smashed Rear Delts today with a Triset
<all one arm at a time>
Machine Flyes x12
Bent Over Flyes x12
Rear Straight Arm Kick Backs x12
(ouch)

Feelin' pretty good so I "over killed" it a bit with some rear delt cable crossovers... I guess I just couldnt get enough :)

With all the cardio I've been doing lately my knees are feeling pretty weak so I did a little bit of a pick me up leg workout.

Leg Extensions
90lbs for 10 sets of 10
(I can't believe I even made it through this! I wanted to scream.)

Squat Press Feet High for hamstrings
2 sets 270x10

Seated Ham Curl
3 sets 90x10
was going to try 10 sets but after the second I knew I wasnt going to make it!! lol, maybe next time :)

Did Abs & Cardio afterwards.

Im really glad I started wearing my Polar heart rate monitor again; keeps me fast paced and focused.
Caloric Burn today: 914

Ashley_Brand
02-04-09, 8:03 pm
For the love of Pete!!! 1247calories burned....I think I'd need an oxygen tank and an I.V. drip of some kind!!!! Great job!!!!

You'd be suprised!!! Im sure you burn that much on deadlift day or LEG day!! ;)

.... I like the "for the love of Pete" I usually say Geeze O' Pete! Now I have a new "Pete" phrase. Thanks! :o)

Nightshift
02-05-09, 11:07 am
You'd be suprised!!! Im sure you burn that much on deadlift day or LEG day!! ;)

.... I like the "for the love of Pete" I usually say Geeze O' Pete! Now I have a new "Pete" phrase. Thanks! :o)

LOL Your welcome.

Do you do any boot camp style stuff? Seems like it may be up your alley.

Ashley_Brand
02-05-09, 11:51 pm
LOL Your welcome.

Do you do any boot camp style stuff? Seems like it may be up your alley.

I dont take an actual "bootcamp" class.. though I have instructed one before... I like to structure my own for optimum ass kickin' :)~ I incorporated some stuff like that again today... awesome way to switch it up. Feels great and I've already started to feel much more "athletic".

Big THANKS to NG for the Avatar and name change~ YOU'RE AWESOME! See ya soon Buddy!

IRBS
02-06-09, 8:15 am
Good work Ashley. Good to see hard work from the ladies around here. Good luck in your upcoming shows!

IRBS

Ashley_Brand
02-06-09, 4:53 pm
Good work Ashley. Good to see hard work from the ladies around here. Good luck in your upcoming shows!

IRBS

Thanks IRBS!!! Appreciate you stoppin' in!

Ashley_Brand
02-07-09, 6:28 pm
Did some back / chest / abs today..

My elbow has been bothering me quite a bit so I braced it and lowered my numbers to take it a little easier since prep is starting in about 3 weeks. Don't want to risk anything and would like for it to be fully back to normal 16 weeks out so I can start out strong...

I worked out in between clients so I didnt have time to write down any numbers and I'm so skatter brained right now I cant even remember! I did my 40 minutes of cardio as well. I think I may be coming down with a cold or something everything feels very fragile... gonna plow thru it though.. see ya'll tomorrow.
Hope everything has a good weekend.

Iceiktitan
02-07-09, 9:17 pm
Rest that elbow. No need for a reocurring strain/sprain especially in prep when you're calorie defeceit. How is life treating ya besides that?

Did some back / chest / abs today..

My elbow has been bothering me quite a bit so I braced it and lowered my numbers to take it a little easier since prep is starting in about 3 weeks. Don't want to risk anything and would like for it to be fully back to normal 16 weeks out so I can start out strong...

I worked out in between clients so I didnt have time to write down any numbers and I'm so skatter brained right now I cant even remember! I did my 40 minutes of cardio as well. I think I may be coming down with a cold or something everything feels very fragile... gonna plow thru it though.. see ya'll tomorrow.
Hope everything has a good weekend.

Phil800101
02-09-09, 2:08 pm
Great sessions Ashley! Keep up the great work. I hope the elbow is feeling ok.

Nightshift
02-09-09, 3:23 pm
Take care of that elbow!!! Hopefully it's just a temporary thing! Training is looking like it's going really well! Great job!

naturalguy
02-09-09, 3:53 pm
Big THANKS to NG for the Avatar and name change~ YOU'RE AWESOME! See ya soon Buddy!

You earned it Ash

Ashley_Brand
02-09-09, 9:52 pm
Thanks everyone for the concern about my elbow... elbow is still not ok though. I kept it wrapped up today. Felt good during the workout so I pushed through without breaking my intensity. I love this warm weather... makes the gym nice and warm; you walk out looking like you just got outta the pool. The way I like it...

Shoulders

DB Presses
30x10 3 sets 30x8

Side Lateral
(together)
15x12 20x12 20x12
(single arm)
25x10 25x10

Plate Raises
3 sets 35x12

Shrugs
3 sets 45x10

Upright Barbell Rows
4 sets 80x8

Rear Machine Flyes
70 for 3 sets of 10

Cable X Rear Flyes
3 sets of 25x15

Tris..
D Handle Warm ups
2 sets 30x12

Rope Extensions (Holy Elbow this hurt!)
3 sets 40x12
Didnt go up on this machine peaced out as soon as I got done with 3 sets... was not feelin it tonight.

Close Grip Bench
4 sets 85x8

Dips
3 sets BWx10

Straight Bar extensions
3 sets 70x12
(threw some reverse grips in there to)

Close Grip Pushdowns
3 sets 90x10

Did several supersets with Abs so up-and-overs with boxes and 1 hr of cardio. All in all I walked out of there feeling pretty good. Calories expended: 1134

Almost time to start the official prep... crazy excited about it. It's funny the feeling you get that first day of prep... it's almost like school. I get the scale back out, all my food put in seperate containers and labeled 1-6... so organized. It's amazing how much this sport has taught me. The determination and dedication I need to do well at it. But not just that... so much more. I've always been one of those people that sticks with something for about 2 or 3 weeks then I move on to something else. It's awesome the focus this all has taught me. Makes me feel a little more sane :)

NJC_Manhattan
02-09-09, 10:28 pm
Thanks everyone for the concern about my elbow... elbow is still not ok though. I kept it wrapped up today. Felt good during the workout so I pushed through without breaking my intensity. I love this warm weather... makes the gym nice and warm; you walk out looking like you just got outta the pool. The way I like it...

Shoulders

DB Presses
30x10 3 sets 30x8

Side Lateral
(together)
15x12 20x12 20x12
(single arm)
25x10 25x10

Plate Raises
3 sets 35x12

Shrugs
3 sets 45x10

Upright Barbell Rows
4 sets 80x8

Rear Machine Flyes
70 for 3 sets of 10

Cable X Rear Flyes
3 sets of 25x15

Tris..
D Handle Warm ups
2 sets 30x12

Rope Extensions (Holy Elbow this hurt!)
3 sets 40x12
Didnt go up on this machine peaced out as soon as I got done with 3 sets... was not feelin it tonight.

Close Grip Bench
4 sets 85x8

Dips
3 sets BWx10

Straight Bar extensions
3 sets 70x12
(threw some reverse grips in there to)

Close Grip Pushdowns
3 sets 90x10

Did several supersets with Abs so up-and-overs with boxes and 1 hr of cardio. All in all I walked out of there feeling pretty good. Calories expended: 1134

Almost time to start the official prep... crazy excited about it. It's funny the feeling you get that first day of prep... it's almost like school. I get the scale back out, all my food put in seperate containers and labeled 1-6... so organized. It's amazing how much this sport has taught me. The determination and dedication I need to do well at it. But not just that... so much more. I've always been one of those people that sticks with something for about 2 or 3 weeks then I move on to something else. It's awesome the focus this all has taught me. Makes me feel a little more sane :)

Great workout, and AMEN to the last paragraph...

nck219
02-10-09, 1:49 pm
Elbow wraps just make you look hardcore:) Oh, and I cooked up some ground venison since you ate all my chicken...

Ashley_Brand
02-10-09, 10:58 pm
It's been awhile since my body has screamed at me this loud. Every muscle in my body is aching and creaking... trying to hang in there and grit my teeth through the workouts. It truely is a mind game when you go into a workout with those muscle already aching. Gotta do it though.... the show must go on.

Did Legs today... well actually about 5 hours ago... and still can barely walk right. My quads are still so tight it feels like they're going to burst.

Squats
4 sets of 135x8

Single Legged Squat with foot on bench behind
50 pounds 3 sets of 8

3/4 Front Squat with heels on plates
25lb plate held on chest for 4 sets of a slow 8

SLD with heels on dumbbell handle
50x12 3 sets

Single Leg Ham Curl
30x10

Did 12 sets of calves, some abs and 20 minutes cardio....work out killed me. Though none of my numbers are really impressive its probably one of the best feeling (ha, or worse.. however you wanna look at it) leg days I have had in a while. I've been in a rut because of the cardio and my knees so my leg days have been suffering. Decided Im just going to burn em' out like I did tonight. My legs are plenty "big" I think.. just need to bring the quad sweep out more and cut em up when the time comes.

My poor calves could stand a little help... I usually do about 12 sets of 12 reps with em'.. any pointers welcomed :)

Extreme
02-11-09, 10:53 am
Been checking things out and your w/o's are mind blowing, more so the cardio than anything else. My wife has been thinking about Figure competition and your thread has been a great tool for her to see what can be done. Keep at it and stay strong!!

As far as your calves go, have you tried countdown sets with them? Not sure if that's the technical term for it, but that's what I call it. I've tried it and have had great success building up my calves. I usually only do 2 sets of 12 with these b/c by the time I get to the last few reps of the second set I'm about ready to pass out. Anyway, you can do them sitting or standing, although it's a bit more of a challenge standing, and you start as if you're doing a normal calf raise, but when you get to the top you hold it for a count of 5, then slowly lower the weight back down, using a count of 10 to get there, and once at the bottom of the movement you hold it for another count of 5, getting a deep stretch, then start all over again. This is also assuming that when you are doing these calf raises your toes are on an elevated platform so that your heels can come down below your toes to get the stretch. These are man killers, but they really induce the muscle fibers of the calves. Hope this helps!

Iceiktitan
02-11-09, 4:56 pm
You should try one of Erik The House Fankhousers techniques. My buddy Nick learned it from him at a Pittsburgh ABC and then I tried it out and holy blood pump.

3 calf exercises
30 reps each
3 circuits

Example:

Seated Calf Raise
Standing Calf Raise
Donkey Calf Raise
Seated Calf Raise
Standing Calf Raise
Donkey Calf Raise
Seated Calf Raise
Standing Calf Raise
Donkey Calf Raise

Any questions about this technique just shoot them over to my thread or pm box.

Ashley_Brand
02-13-09, 8:53 pm
Been checking things out and your w/o's are mind blowing, more so the cardio than anything else. My wife has been thinking about Figure competition and your thread has been a great tool for her to see what can be done. Keep at it and stay strong!!
I usually only do 2 sets of 12 with these b/c by the time I get to the last few reps of the second set I'm about ready to pass out. Anyway, you can do them sitting or standing, although it's a bit more of a challenge standing, and you start as if you're doing a normal calf raise, but when you get to the top you hold it for a count of 5, then slowly lower the weight back down, using a count of 10 to get there, and once at the bottom of the movement you hold it for another count of 5, getting a deep stretch, then start all over again. This is also assuming that when you are doing these calf raises your toes are on an elevated platform so that your heels can come down below your toes to get the stretch. These are man killers, but they really induce the muscle fibers of the calves. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the checking out my thread and tell your wife I'll help her anyway I can. You know where to find me :)
I'll have to try that technique. Thanks man.

You should try one of Erik The House Fankhousers techniques. My buddy Nick learned it from him at a Pittsburgh ABC and then I tried it out and holy blood pump.
3 calf exercises
30 reps each
3 circuits
Any questions about this technique just shoot them over to my thread or pm box.

Holy Moly that sounds crazy! Lovin it though. Will try ASAP!

Ashley_Brand
02-13-09, 9:37 pm
Well well... I do believe I owe some workouts and some ramblings...
Been a little busier with work lately and spending a lot more time at the gym so here I am a few days late...

Per the last leg workout I did:
Here I am three days later and today I have about 76% of my mobility back. That workout must have straight torn my legs apart. They were sooooo sore. Beyond belief. I still have to manually move them up to the computer chair if I want to sit Indian style. Should be fully recovered by tomorrow and then I'll hit em’ again in a few days. I think it was the single legged squats... love it.

Elbow = Shitty.
On Wednesday when I tried to do biceps it was pretty wretched; but I didn't throw in the towel. I switched it up the whole time doing some lighter and some heavier switching exercises often. If I’d hit em' from one angle or position for too long they would squeal so I kept switching it up. Didn't get a pump at all but kept going and finished the workout.

Thursday workout was some Back-a-roo <Guest Posing: Mr. Shitty Elbow.>
Parallel Narrow Grip Pull downs
80x8 90x8 2 sets 90x6

Straight Arm Pullovers
60x10 3 sets 65x10

Machine Row
100x8 3 sets 90x10

High Row Crunch (single arm)
60x12 3 sets 70x10

Machine Pull downs
-fast to get all the blood in there-
3 sets 90x12

Finished out with some Rear delts, abs, calves and cardio....
The cardio was a little insane. Clocked in at just over 2 hours. I guess I was pretty damn focused.
Calories expended in this lengthy workout: 1259 - No wonder I've dropped about 4 pounds this week!

Tonight I hit some Shoulders and Chest

Seated Olympic bar presses
2 sets of 75x8 3 sets 75x6

Seated Side Laterals
15’sx12 3 sets 20'sx10

Barbell Front Raise
4 sets 30x10

Hammer Strength Incline Shoulder Press
5 sets 50x10

Rear Delt Flyes on Machine
4 sets 40x10; 50x10

Chest...
Cable Flyes
4 sets 35x8

Seated Cable Chest Press
4 sets 35x10

Did Abs and 20 minutes cardio... forgot the IPOD tonight which was killlerr for me.... there was no way I was suffering through an hour cardio with no headphones! Plus I needed a little release for the knees tonight anyways.

Nightshift
02-13-09, 9:46 pm
Workouts are looking Intense and productive!! Great job!! Hopefully the elbow gets better soon!

Gambit
02-15-09, 7:47 pm
Some pretty serious work going on. You're gonna knock em dead. Hope the elbow feels better

Phil800101
02-16-09, 1:50 pm
Solid work as always Ashley! Looking strong. Hope the elbow feels better soon.

Nightshift
02-23-09, 12:58 pm
How's the training going? Hopefully the elbow holding up ok.

eric downey
03-21-09, 6:43 pm
found you in the gladiator forvm.

goodluck hope you dont mind if i tag along for the ride.

Ashley_Brand
06-10-09, 10:13 pm
So I have been gone for awhile...

This year has proven to be a difficult route towards Jr. Nationals. I have looked within myself to grow as a person, competitor, and stronger spiritually. This is more than a competition to me now, this is a personal triumph.

Its amazing how God works in our lives daily. Sometimes you may need to look for it other days its as simple as breathing to know what he is doing in your life.
Recently God has taught me a lot about myself and who I want to be. The road has been long and hard but I can finally see where it leads… and I am more than pleased with where my father is taking me.

Here I stand, 9 Days away from when I put my shoes on and walk on that National stage in Rosemont Illinois. I never thought this day would come. There were times of giving in, breaking down, pulling out and pulling through. Finally, I'm ready.

All the 4am cardio sessions and back breaking workouts have proven to be victorious and now its time to show my labor on the stage under the glaring lights.

Ok fellas, here we go.
Chi-town here I come.

& you know there’s some crazy eating to be done in Chicago afterwards! ;)

Phil800101
06-11-09, 2:03 pm
Glad to have you back Ashley!

No need to apologize, it's all good. Life happens.

Good luck!

P.S.- If you need any suggestions on places to eat crazy, let me know, lol.

ghost
06-11-09, 2:07 pm

Good luck!

just hit up Ditka's steak house. or Giordano's. mmmmm or Uno's...mmmmmmm damnit i need to get home for some real food. fuckin detroit......

ghost
06-11-09, 2:07 pm
Ash, kick some ass on stage! we are all behind you 100000000000%

Ashley_Brand
06-11-09, 6:31 pm

Good luck!

Thanks Phil! Appreciate it. Life does happen, thankfully it all evens back out ;)

Ash, kick some ass on stage! we are all behind you 100000000000%

Thanks man! I'm pumped! & I completely understand your food suggestion post.. lol people ask me what the first thing Im going to eat is and I start off with something different every time and then babble on for about 10 minutes. Currently feelin' some IHOP though, you can never go wrong there.

Ashley_Brand
06-11-09, 6:40 pm
Did the last full on leg workout today until after the show.
7 days from now I'll be sitting my butt in a vehicle heading to Chicago.

Did an basic leg day hitting all the sweet spots.
4 sets each x 15;
Leg Extensions
Ham Curls
Barbell Lunges
Inner and Outer Thighs
100 reps on Calves

Next contest prep legs will consist of more plyo routines to bring out detail. I feel as if Ive built most of the muscle I need in my legs. Need to take time to bring out the center detail and curve out the hams a little more. & my poor poor calves, lol they've made some improvements but they're definitely still just wee little things :) I got faith in em' one day though they'll be good!

Sitting at about 146 pounds right now right around 10.5% body fat. Up 6 pounds from my last show and already leaner as well. Its a nice place to be. Hoping some more detail starts to come through over these next 7 days... stay tuned, this is where it gets good :)

Ashley_Brand
06-12-09, 3:16 pm
Got the bodyfat done today.. actually a lot better than I thought it was, its right around 9% which Im pretty excited about. I do however understand that bodyfat measurements can only be used to a certain extent because everyone measures differently and its not too extremely accurate. All my pinch marks went down considerably though which equals a pretty pleased Ashley.

6 days.

Todays my day off so Im going to take a little jog down by the river, climb some hills and clear the brain. Tomorrow we've got some Arms & Shoulders; my favorite day.

naturalguy
06-12-09, 3:26 pm
Good luck Ash, rock that stage girl!

Ashley_Brand
06-13-09, 4:30 pm
Todays been pretty good so far.
Slept in for a little bit, came to the gym to train some clients then jumped in on spinning class.
Did a little posing, got the hair done, and tanned.

Shoulders are done, back to the basic melody for today:
Shoulder Press
Side Laterals
Front Raises
& Rear Delt flyes

I'll be heading back a little later for Bi's/Tris and Abs.

For now Im going to enjoy my high carb day :)

We're ready and waitin.. countdown 6 DAYS

ghost
06-13-09, 4:38 pm
looking forward to the pics!!!

Ashley_Brand
06-13-09, 11:59 pm
Arms & Abs tonight..

Bi's
4 sets each
Superman Cable Curls
Barbell Curls
One Arm Preacher Curls

Tri's
4 sets each
Straight Bar Cable Pushdowns
One Arm D Handle Underhand Extensions
One set Underhand burnout
Close Grip Bench

Abs Tri-set 3 times through:
Hanging Leg Raises x 15
Decline Bench Curl ups x 25
Decline Bench Twists x 30

Lower Back extensions
Body Weight on Hyper machine
& Machine Low Back 3 sets

5 days.

After doing posing practice today and really thinking about a lot of things, I feel like this is my year. This is the year it's all going to come together. There's progress to be made, as always, but theres progress thats been dominated already.
Stepping stones. Mile marks. Success in life and in the gym.
I look forward to having you all on for the ride.
Lets do this.

Ashley_Brand
06-13-09, 11:59 pm
looking forward to the pics!!!

TONS!!! on the way! :)

ghost
06-14-09, 8:02 am
After doing posing practice today and really thinking about a lot of things, I feel like this is my year. This is the year it's all going to come together. There's progress to be made, as always, but theres progress thats been dominated already.
Stepping stones. Mile marks. Success in life and in the gym.
I look forward to having you all on for the ride.
Lets do this.

we are all here for the ride, and your will and determination will prove effective in blowing the rest of the competitors out of the water when you step on stage.
Kick ass hun.

Ashley_Brand
06-14-09, 5:02 pm
Did a back and chest superset combination this afternoon; short, sweet, to the point.
4 sets each (heavy)
Lat Pulldowns x 15
Cable Chest Flyes x15
Low Cable Row x 15
Seated Cable Chest Press x 15

20 minutes cardio
going back in later for calves & abs
this close to show time I usually come in the gym a few times a day, keeps my mind right and doesnt leave me sitting at home watching the clock until my next meal.

Also completed my 50min AM cardio session. This is the first contest prep I've utilized the AM cardio for a prolonged period of time. Started it at about 5 weeks out and its went really well. I dont think my legs have ever been this lean, so I'll deinitely be chillin' with some AM cardio for the rests of my preps. OH JOY. <sarcasm> *lol* its so worth it though and post workout its nice to head straight to the food and not to the stairmaster.

Until tomorrow....
hope everyone had a good weekend!

Phil800101
06-16-09, 2:50 am
Looking good Ash!

Cstlfx
06-16-09, 3:32 pm
Workouts are lookin great and your mind set is awesome! Keep at it and you'll tear that stage up.

Ashley_Brand
06-18-09, 10:12 am
Alright. So todays the day I head out to Chicago.
Updates soon, lets do this!

C.Coronato
06-18-09, 10:28 am
Good to have you back. Good luck out there!!

Phil800101
06-18-09, 2:15 pm
Alright. So todays the day I head out to Chicago.
Updates soon, lets do this!

Good luck! Kick some ass and take some names.

Ashley_Brand
06-22-09, 11:20 pm
Alright. Well Shit.
So this weekend turned out to be not so successful but I do stand firm in what I took to the stage and was more than pleased with my new improved package. I'm thinking big things are coming they just went on the menu for this past weekend. I know I was hungry for it though.

The show itself was a little topsy turvy at points and had a few heads shaking but thats not whats important here. You can never know what they are looking for that day at that particular moment in time, its always changing. So you brush it off, stand up and move on. Exactly what I am doing at this moment.

Time to set new sights and my next will be in Vegas baby! Heading to USA's in 32 days and Im so ready to rock it. I need to get my name out there a little more and I think I have the package to do it. So, stick around and we'll give it go together.

Right now my muscle is looking a little fresh and I need more density to it. That will come with time. I think the amount of muscle is good (besides a few small areas), leaness is good so for all the I can do right now Im goin for it. Trek forward towards USAs and who the hell wouldnt want to go to Vegas anyways!

Fun times ahead fellas :)

Ashley_Brand
06-22-09, 11:51 pm
Side Model Pose
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/ashleybrand/rx10.jpg

Front Pose
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/ashleybrand/mdfront2.jpg

Back Pose
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/ashleybrand/mdback2.jpg

Side Model Pose
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/ashleybrand/mdside1.jpg

Side Pose
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/ashleybrand/rx3.jpg

& the Oh so classic Wave :)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/ashleybrand/rx11.jpg

Cstlfx
06-23-09, 2:30 am
I know its no condolence, but you were definitely looking good, solid, with good conditioning. I dont really know what the judges look for, so I'll have to read up on Figure judging. The top people the judges chose were smoother than what I've seen during the Olympia or Arnold Classic.

Good luck at your next show, we'll be rooting for ya!

IRBS
06-23-09, 8:36 am
Alright. Well Shit.
So this weekend turned out to be not so successful but I do stand firm in what I took to the stage and was more than pleased with my new improved package. I'm thinking big things are coming they just went on the menu for this past weekend. I know I was hungry for it though.

The show itself was a little topsy turvy at points and had a few heads shaking but thats not whats important here. You can never know what they are looking for that day at that particular moment in time, its always changing. So you brush it off, stand up and move on. Exactly what I am doing at this moment.

Time to set new sights and my next will be in Vegas baby! Heading to USA's in 32 days and Im so ready to rock it. I need to get my name out there a little more and I think I have the package to do it. So, stick around and we'll give it go together.

Right now my muscle is looking a little fresh and I need more density to it. That will come with time. I think the amount of muscle is good (besides a few small areas), leaness is good so for all the I can do right now Im goin for it. Trek forward towards USAs and who the hell wouldnt want to go to Vegas anyways!

Fun times ahead fellas :)

Ashley,

I think you got robbed...

Anyway, great showing and good luck at USAs!

Will

Ashley_Brand
06-23-09, 8:44 am
Ashley,

I think you got robbed...

Anyway, great showing and good luck at USAs!

Will

yes sir, robbed. Understatement.
lol, oh well... fuel for the fire!!!! :)
thanks!

ghost
06-23-09, 8:58 am
Ash, you got HOSED.... those bastards.... you look phenominal! Good luck in Vegas. You should try and meet up with Rev8Ball when you are out there... GREAT guy.

Ashley_Brand
06-23-09, 12:44 pm
Ash, you got HOSED.... those bastards.... you look phenominal! Good luck in Vegas. You should try and meet up with Rev8Ball when you are out there... GREAT guy.

hahah, thanks man! Hosed, I like that one :)
yes I was pretty disappointed but almost to the extent I wanted to laugh because I thought it was so ridiciulous.

Toni69
06-23-09, 1:01 pm
its such a subjective sport..both bb'ing and figure. All we can do is keep getting up there, showing off our hard work and dedication through the confidence in our eyes and the smiles we flash regardless of the outcomes..just keep coming back bringing something new to the table each and every time...its all we can do because we do this for us, not for them...

you looked amazng and beautiful...your time, and mine will soon come my dear.

naturalguy
06-23-09, 1:05 pm
You look great Ash. I see much improvement, your hard work is paying off.

Firedrake
06-23-09, 1:24 pm
Ashley, I have to agree with Toni -- this sport IS so subjective, it's hard to say who'll win on any given day. It's not there are particular numbers to reach or measurements to achieve that can be quantified. In that way, powerlifters have it a little easier than bodybuilders -- they don't have to worry about their abs, either <grin>.

I think you looked spectacular, but then, I'm not familiar with the judging standards, so what do I know?!

Cstlfx
06-23-09, 4:20 pm
Yea, after looking at what judges are supposed to be judging on, they made some bogus calls.

Screw that show, you'll do great at the next one! I believe you're going to make a killing.

Ashley_Brand
06-24-09, 12:37 am
Diet & Training revs back up tomorrow!!
& the countdown begins...

Tron
06-27-09, 12:45 am
All you can do is keep working and hope that next time they are gonna actually see the truth.

Good work... vast improvement... until Vegas, keep at it.

ghost
06-27-09, 1:24 am
hope you are doing well!

Ashley_Brand
06-27-09, 12:41 pm
hey guys!!! I actually started a new thread about my journey to Vegas~ check it out!
Links' in the Sig.

Phil800101
07-05-09, 12:31 pm
You looked great Ash, they definitely screwed you over. Like you said, more fuel for the fire.