PDA

View Full Version : neck training

xcrockettx
11-11-08, 12:19 pm
how many times a week do you guys work your neck, i dont want to overtrain it. And what major bodypart would it be good to work it with

Aggression
11-11-08, 12:22 pm
how many times a week do you guys work your neck, i dont want to overtrain it. And what major bodypart would it be good to work it with

To be honest, I don't work my neck, and I haven't seen much of any, if any at all, about working out your neck on this forvm. Hopefully someone else can help you out ......

prowrestler
11-11-08, 12:32 pm
1-2 times a week is fine. dont do more then 2

JeremyT
11-11-08, 1:09 pm
Do you mean working out your actual neck, or your traps? I used to get the two confused all the time before I started all of this. I can't imagine actually working out my neck or how I would do it.

xcrockettx
11-11-08, 2:04 pm
i mean your actually neck, most people work it out using a neck harness

Aggression
11-11-08, 2:05 pm
Do you mean working out your actual neck, or your traps? I used to get the two confused all the time before I started all of this. I can't imagine actually working out my neck or how I would do it.

Good point. I don't know how to work the actual neck. I remember we had an old neck machine in my HS gym for the football players, but thats it. Traps are a different story.

prowrestler
11-11-08, 3:10 pm
i mean your actually neck, most people work it out using a neck harness

or bridge variations, dumbell and towel, whatever it is.

1-2 times a week

Thetasteofink69
11-11-08, 3:12 pm
Good point. I don't know how to work the actual neck. I remember we had an old neck machine in my HS gym for the football players, but thats it. Traps are a different story.

Most people work it like this..

http://www.getstrength.com/images/products/head_harness_sml.jpg

Or one guy at my gym has a harness that attaches to a pully system, so he just hooks it on and goes to work..

I don't do any neck exercises because A. I don't see why it would be important, B. If my neck is sore when I sleep on it wrong or something like that, I'm grouchy and always have a bad day.. So I don't bother

ldskenpo
11-29-08, 5:37 am
I do actual neck work, to strengthen my neck for combatives,etc. I use one of the old leather head harnesses and do 3 sets of 8-10 reps once a week after shoulders/traps. for the sternos i put a towel against my forehead and lay a plate over that, lay over a bench and do a slow,controlled movement. make sure you start out light and gradually increase the weights. Hope this helps.

BryanSmash!
11-29-08, 11:05 am
I've found that the neck will strengthen and thicken naturally with heavy pulling movements, so direct work is not necessary.
The exception is of course, as Idskenpo said, is combative sports, or sports where the risk of neck injury is great, such as football or rugby.

Cstlfx
11-29-08, 3:08 pm
I have a 4 way neck training free weight machine in my gym. My neck isnt that small, so I tend not to use it. Since I'm not fighting or wrestling, I'd rather not have a neck like Lesner.

I'd say work it like any other muscle. I think once is fine, twice a week may be over doing it until you get a good foundation.