PDA

View Full Version : fight conditioning

ironshaolin
11-11-08, 8:12 pm
Haven't seen alot of new posts in this section in a while. You MMA guys, what do you do for conditioning? I'm talking as far as cardio. Boxers used to run 3-5 miles every morning before the sun came up. Long slow distance? sprints? circuts? bag work? What do you do? I got alot of good stuff, I'll wait to see waht you gusys

J Wong
11-11-08, 10:48 pm
I am actually starting my own conditioning sessions for martial arts this week. I believe in "balls to the wall" cardio for stints of 5 minutes, with a minute rest for the next stint.
An example of a conditioning workout I have set up to do tomorrow is:

100 jumping jacks
30 side jumps over recycling bin (15 each side)
20 burpees (with the full pushup, and not a little hop, a big jump with knees to chest)
Sprint until body starts to slow down
jog backwards to starting sprint position
Agility side steps to end of sprint position, agility side steps(switch sides) to start of sprint position.

Rest

Start over, 3 circuits.

(I don't know the names of the "agility side steps", but I'm pretty sure it can be figured out haha.)

ironshaolin
12-31-08, 7:42 pm
thats a nice routine there boom. Here's the one I'm doing tomorrow:

each station is 1 minute, as many reps as possible. After all 5 stations you can rest for 1 minute, then repeat it again. Score is ranked by how many reps you get in the minute, totaled up for all 3 rounds and thats your final score.

20lb wall ball, 10 foot target
75lb sumo deadlift high pull
box jump, 24" box
75lb push press
Concept 2 rower

for wallball, use a 20lb medicine ball, hold at shoulder height, squat to full depth, then stand up throwing the ball to a target on the wall 10' high. If you don't have a medicine ball, you can sub 2 20lb dumbells, and do squat/shoulder presses. Sumo deadlift high pull is basically a sumo deadlift and an upright row in one move, focus on hip drive. For the rower, points are awarded for each calorie burned over 1 minute. This is only like a 15 minute workout with 3 mins rest, but it will kick your ass.

shizz702
12-31-08, 8:14 pm
I'm not into MMA, but I just recently decided to get into sandbag training and am very curious to see what you think of that as I think it would be very good for MMA conditioning.

MeanStreet
01-01-09, 7:56 pm
the best fight training imo is circuit training, exposive cardio, sprinting and ground & pound training with a dummy

also jumping pushups
kettle bell work
tire flips
ring chin ups
heavy bag spins
rope climbing
medicine ball bouncing
ect..

anything explosive

joe.ameen
01-08-09, 4:52 pm
I agree with you guys a lot. Especially on anything explosive. I do Krav Maga and I've found that bagwork, shadowboxing and plyometrics are the way to go for me. I've always been slow and explosive power is what I'm aiming for.

Jburz
01-08-09, 9:16 pm
I've seen lots of training and conditioning from many mma fighters and came up with my own workout from peices of peoples I have seen.

half mile run at decent pace not too fast and not too slow either nice and steady

Jump rope for 3 two min rounds of it with about a 2 min break

Plyometric pushups try to get around 3 sets of 5

then take a strech band put it on a door handle (on of those long ones like in big offices you see somtimes) put it around that get my hands up get in fighting stance then i move out a little put risitance on the bands and throw a combo of hooks,jabs,as well as punches.

Then I stretch my upper thighs using various stretches (kicks are my weakest so I must do that constantly)

Then I do a min of the bike highest intensity

a min of elliptical highest intensity

and a level 9 incline on the tredmill at a speed of 9

Then for mma workout i do on mondays

I go through basics/instruc the class

5 min break

teach juniors a little

then I work on with three others all muy thai drills and boxing drills

ironshaolin
02-28-09, 4:03 pm
I've been finishing all my strength workouts now with a 10 min MetCon workout. Here's a few examples:

As many rounds as possible in 10 mins-.20 mi run on treadmill, fast
75lb pushpress, 15 reps
15 dips

5 rounds for time
5 KB swings, ea
5 KB snatches, ea
10 burpees

21/15/9 rep rounds as fast as possible

135lb squat cleans
ring dips

21/15/9 rep rounds as fast as possible

95lb thruster
kipping pullups

with a 50lb weighted vest,
run 400m
50 pullups
50 pushups
run 400m
50 situps
50 squats
run 400m

10 rounds, nonstop
135lb deadlift, 15 reps
15 pushups

Jay Hanisak
03-12-09, 4:28 pm
Lots of great ideas guys. Here's some stuff I do with my wrestlers and fighters. I am currently doing similiar stuff as I am looking to get into fighting soon. I believe the conditionining should simulate the amount of time you will be fighting or a little bit longer.

Strongman matches: for a 5 min. round

round 1

tractor tire flips 2 minutes
Keg clean n press 2 minutes
tire drags 1 minute

round 2

tire flip with plyo jump through tire then repeat 2 min.
cynder block press 2 min.
Hit tire with sledge hammer 1 min.

round 3

Tire throws uphill 2 minutes
Boulder deadlift 2 minutes
cynder block swings 1 minute

ironshaolin
04-17-09, 11:20 am
Lots of great ideas guys. Here's some stuff I do with my wrestlers and fighters. I am currently doing similiar stuff as I am looking to get into fighting soon. I believe the conditionining should simulate the amount of time you will be fighting or a little bit longer.

Strongman matches: for a 5 min. round

round 1

tractor tire flips 2 minutes
Keg clean n press 2 minutes
tire drags 1 minute

round 2

tire flip with plyo jump through tire then repeat 2 min.
cynder block press 2 min.
Hit tire with sledge hammer 1 min.

round 3

Tire throws uphill 2 minutes
Boulder deadlift 2 minutes
cynder block swings 1 minute

Dude that is sick stuff right there, you will be strong as hell with conditioning to boot. Any type of sled dragging, tire flipping, etc. will wipe you out metabolically.

GJN5002
04-17-09, 1:07 pm
This is a great thread.
I just started boxing, do you guys alter your weight training at all or just train the same in addition to your fight training and cardio?

Jay Hanisak
04-20-09, 12:11 pm
This is a great thread.
I just started boxing, do you guys alter your weight training at all or just train the same in addition to your fight training and cardio?

When I started training mma I switched from a 4 day powerlifting routine to a 3 day total body lifting program. I like how its working for me. The tire circuits can be done after lifting and you can cut some monor exercises out or it can be done opn non lifting days.

Jay Hanisak
04-20-09, 12:30 pm
I can't PM you back, you need to erase some messages bro.

Ironjaw
07-21-09, 12:48 am
Yo i forgotwhat you trained but i'd like to ask you a few things about training a certain "art" bu i wasn't sure what styles you trained

ironshaolin
08-20-09, 12:27 pm
Yo i forgotwhat you trained but i'd like to ask you a few things about training a certain "art" bu i wasn't sure what styles you trained

I train Kempo jiu Jitsu, Kung fu, muay thai, and brazillian. I'm not on this forum that much anymore, but if you PM me something, I'll eventually get back to you.