PDA

View Full Version : ROM question

Binney08
11-11-08, 9:28 pm
this has been botherin me for a while.
i do shoulder press starting from my clavicles basically, to all the way extended up.
i do incline bench from bar touching upper chest/clavicles to nearly extended.
seems like everything i read about/watch, people do shoulder press from upper arm parallel to ground and extend it. they dont go lower.. wouldnt it be better to go all the way down and up?
2nd part, i read on some posts that you should only bring the bar to your chin, because going lower uses your shoulders.. if this is true how come people dont go all the way for shoulder press, using this logic?
whats the ideal ROM?

btw when searching all i get is a blank white page... url is: http://forum.animalpak.com/search.php?do=process anyone know whY?

Mizzarler
11-11-08, 11:25 pm
whenever i do military press i go just below my chin and go to just short of lockout to keep constant tension on my shoulders, same for incline bench but i touch high on my chest and go to just short of lockout, thats how wrath even does it in the animal chest dvd

Cstlfx
11-12-08, 12:14 am
whats the ideal ROM?

The Ideal ROM is up to you. Many dont go past certain points cause they've had injuries or pain flare ups doing exercises certain ways. Wrath touches his chest in the videos, but if you looks, his chest is so friggen big that he only goes an inch or two past parallel. If it feels good for you, and the appropriate muscle is being stressed, then its all good.

Unless you're doing powerlifting or strongman competitions where form rules are present, it really is up to you.

Also, its similar to Squats. There's a huge difference going ATG versus hitting parallel, however, gains are still made when just hitting parallel. It hurts some, yet makes others better. Gotta listen to your body and feel it out.

sanga
11-12-08, 4:22 am
The Ideal ROM is up to you. Many dont go past certain points cause they've had injuries or pain flare ups doing exercises certain ways. Wrath touches his chest in the videos, but if you looks, his chest is so friggen big that he only goes an inch or two past parallel. If it feels good for you, and the appropriate muscle is being stressed, then its all good.

Unless you're doing powerlifting or strongman competitions where form rules are present, it really is up to you.

Also, its similar to Squats. There's a huge difference going ATG versus hitting parallel, however, gains are still made when just hitting parallel. It hurts some, yet makes others better. Gotta listen to your body and feel it out.

I agree with the go with what you can do principle here, I squat ATG as much as possible but can not lower the bar much past chin level on presses for shoulders, go with whats comfortable.

Aggression
11-12-08, 10:40 am
I touch my chest doing inclines, go right under the chin during military presses, and doing slightly below parallel on squats, but that's me. No previous injuries, no problems or pains, its just what I feel comfortable with.

Stovall
11-12-08, 11:14 am
In military presses I only go just below my nose. If I go lower my right shoulder pops and gives me alittle pain. Squats on the other hand I go ATG everytime. I don't understand it, if I go parallel my knees hurt. If I go till I touch my calves with my ass I fell great.