PDA

View Full Version : Plates under heels during squats..

billmd1334
11-12-08, 7:15 am
I've seen some people in my gym using 2.5 plates under their heels when doing squats. I asked someone about it and they said it helps them push off with their heels more and they feel it more in the quad then the glutes.

Just wondering if anyone here has experimented with this, and if so, what did you find? I too have the same problem with not always staying back on my heels so if this would help until I get my form perfect I'll give it a shot.

npeezy
11-12-08, 8:38 am
I've seen some people in my gym using 2.5 plates under their heels when doing squats. I asked someone about it and they said it helps them push off with their heels more and they feel it more in the quad then the glutes.

Just wondering if anyone here has experimented with this, and if so, what did you find? I too have the same problem with not always staying back on my heels so if this would help until I get my form perfect I'll give it a shot.

yep....i do this. i found it IS easier to push through my heels and i can go ass to ankle and it feels more comfortable than when my feet are flat. i also noticed i stay more upright than when i dont have a plate under my heels.

zanderfever
11-12-08, 9:17 am
Generally, what i've heard about using plates under your heals is that it is to help people get deeper with their squats so that there heals dont go up when they go down. I would suggest that you ditch the plates and do some stretching to loosen yourself up. If you stretch your hams, calves, and maybe even glutes and low back if you have to you shouldn't need the plates under your feet. Thats because what is most likely pulling your heels up is a tight posterior chain.

Aggression
11-12-08, 12:33 pm
I've done this before with some good results. I def feel more comfortable with my form.

Ronnie Chop
11-12-08, 5:46 pm
I also use plates. Only I use the 10 pound plates. I feel like glute chain is flexible. But I'm a taller guy so I feel like I need them to keep myself driving with my heels and not wanting to come up on my toes. I REALLY feel it in my quads using this method. My legs were so pumped afterward I couldn't even sleep last night.

BryanSmash!
11-12-08, 6:16 pm
One thing to remember is that if you are, or are considering powerlifting, squatting on plates isnt allowed, so you probably don't want to practice that way.
If you're not into powerlifting, then go ahead and try squatting on plates for yourself. If it works, keep it. If it doesn't, toss it.

DAV1D
11-13-08, 1:11 am
i've never tried plates under my heels during regular squats, but when i first read about BB hack squats, whatever article i was reading said to put 10# plates under yer heels, so i have always done those that way. fucking burns like hell.

sanga
11-13-08, 3:17 am
One of my old training partners had to do this as thats the only way he could squat.

It pushes me forward and throws stress onto my kness so I never do it.

Aggression
11-13-08, 11:50 am
Threw the plates under my heels while squatting last night. It definitely helped my form, and it placed most of the emphasis on where it should be; the quads. I might be sticking with this for a while.

rev8ball
11-13-08, 12:15 pm

Don't.

Most people want to put something under their heels because they think it may help with their ROM. However, unknown to them, it's usually because their plantar flexors are tight. As a result, their knees tend to travel over their toes, shifting the force of the weight from going through their hips to going through their knees. This may give way to an injury. You will see weightlifters use a shoe with a wood insert in the heel in order to elevate it. However, you will also notice that their knees do not travel too far forward, and, because of their flexability, will be able to drop their hips more (thereby directing the force down through the center of the foot, albeit more towards the heel) in order to generate more power to drive the weight up.

Of course, this is to say nothing of the issue of stabillity of standing on a plate vs. the support of a shoe, but I think that may be obvious.

JUGGERNAUT
11-13-08, 12:18 pm
Don't.

Most people want to put something under their heels because they think it may help with their ROM. However, unknown to them, it's usually because their plantar flexors are tight. As a result, their knees tend to travel over their toes, shifting the force of the weight from going through their hips to going through their knees. This may give way to an injury. You will see weightlifters use a shoe with a wood insert in the heel in order to elevate it. However, you will also notice that their knees do not travel too far forward, and, because of their flexability, will be able to drop their hips more (thereby directing the force down through the center of the foot, albeit more towards the heel) in order to generate more power to drive the weight up.

Of course, this is to say nothing of the issue of stabillity of standing on a plate vs. the support of a shoe, but I think that may be obvious.

100% TRUE! DON'T! Well put REV...same reason I steer away from hack squats.

fenix237
11-14-08, 10:14 am
I've been lifting for close to 10 years including lots of heavy squatting. I'm just a recreational gym rat- no competitions or anything like that. I prefer to go very deep with a wide stance and always used a 1" rubber mat to elevate my heels. I've never injured myself doing squats doing sets of 6-8 with 400-500 lbs. To me, it adds to my stability and gives me confidence to increase poundages without worry of falling forward. I am not an expert, just my 2 cents! Whatever you do, warm up thoroughly and use good form and don't overload the bar and then do half squats- they are useless for building strength and muscle

IRBS
11-14-08, 10:38 am
Don't.

Excellent post!

prowrestler
11-15-08, 1:12 pm
i havent seen a world record squater squat with a block under their heels in a meet.. maybe thats a sign?

MojoMike36
11-16-08, 12:44 am
Tried the plate under heel technique. I thought it worked well because I'm a long legged fellow.