PDA

View Full Version : post workout!

redskin 344
11-12-08, 5:17 pm
what are some good post workout carbs. Are chocolate milk good and yogurt? Together they contain around 50-60 grams of sugar.

I dont know if they have 'dextrose'..does it matter?

sanga
11-12-08, 5:35 pm
I used to use Maltodextrin but switched to Waximaize as I found it better, less bloat and easliy absorbed then I switch to Torrent, no contest Torrent wins hands down.

redskin 344
11-12-08, 5:39 pm
I used to use Maltodextrin but switched to Waximaize as I found it better, less bloat and easliy absorbed then I switch to Torrent, no contest Torrent wins hands down.

yea but i dont have torrent..yet...

are chocolate milk and some yogurt good for the job?

Mizzarler
11-12-08, 6:37 pm
pretty much anything dairy digest slow, although it has sugar i wouldnt eat it post workout, if you dont have torrent i would reccomend simple carbs like 2 bannanas and then down a whey shake, then have a meal 45 min after, thats what i do whenever im out of torrent

Little Z
11-12-08, 6:51 pm
pretty much anything dairy digest slow, although it has sugar i wouldnt eat it post workout, if you dont have torrent i would reccomend simple carbs like 2 bannanas and then down a whey shake, then have a meal 45 min after, thats what i do whenever im out of torrent

x2

thats what I would do before I had Torrent..

redskin 344
11-12-08, 6:52 pm
gotta get me some torrent

rev8ball
11-12-08, 7:04 pm
what are some good post workout carbs. Are chocolate milk good and yogurt? Together they contain around 50-60 grams of sugar.

I dont know if they have 'dextrose'..does it matter?

Chocolate milk is great post-workout; awesome carb:protein ratio. There are great post workout supplements available (i.e., Torrent). But, if that's all you can get your hands on for now, then a few glasses of chocolate milk post workout will be fine. You can work up to the other stuff when you are able to.

Hola Bola
11-12-08, 7:47 pm
yea but i dont have torrent..yet...

are chocolate milk and some yogurt good for the job?

Toss a scoop of protein in and that should do the trick.

Of course, Torrent would be better, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

redskin 344
11-12-08, 8:11 pm
Toss a scoop of protein in and that should do the trick.

Of course, Torrent would be better, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

i know that torrent has waxy maise starch but is that all it contains that makes it so great? Is there more?

NPRamirez
11-12-08, 8:33 pm

I'm almost 100% certain that yogurt is one of the best things to eat in a protein shake after a workout.

redskin 344
11-12-08, 8:59 pm
I'm almost 100% certain that yogurt is one of the best things to eat in a protein shake after a workout.

I just feel dairy is essential for bulking man, what can I say.

A brothas gotta have his cheese!

Iceiktitan
11-12-08, 9:13 pm
What's so great about Torrent you ask?

-Partially Hydrolyzed Whey Protein (Provides for a fast and quality uptake of protein)
-Waxy-Maize with Maltodextrin (Proven to be effective)
-Creatine Complex (Creatine is a proven supplement)
-Leucine Complex
-Amino Blend

Torrent combines the perfect ingredients into one solid product.

i know that torrent has waxy maise starch but is that all it contains that makes it so great? Is there more?

Iceiktitan
11-12-08, 9:19 pm
Yogurt is full of good Bacteria which help aid in digestion.

I just feel dairy is essential for bulking man, what can I say.
A brothas gotta have his cheese!

alecto42
11-12-08, 10:30 pm
Yogurt is full of good Bacteria which help aid in digestion.

technically all yogurt does not contain pro-biotics.. now adays companies will do whatever it takes to make that extra buck.. you'd actually have to look for "live culture/probiotics" for it to contain digestive bacteria..

And you would be looking for an isolate protein source PWO, it has the fastest absorption rate as well as the highest bioavailabilty.

Cellerator65
11-12-08, 11:06 pm
what do you guys think about orange juice and whey (preferable orange flavor) post workout, are the sugars in orange juice good for spiking insulin?

And yes, i do use torrent. But cash is getting tight.

alecto42
11-13-08, 12:18 am
what do you guys think about orange juice and whey (preferable orange flavor) post workout, are the sugars in orange juice good for spiking insulin?

And yes, i do use torrent. But cash is getting tight.

I would not recommend taking OJ PWO.. i remember seeing a study done in the lab at my school of effects of absorbic acid (vit c), on nervous system recovery and inflammation. I actually think it hinders growth. (After a workout the inflammation process is actually what increases growth within muscle bellies and vit-c will produce reverse effects).

Acid can also denature protein so I wouldn't take them together.. + i cant imagine the taste being very good.

There is a study that actually looks pretty descent, but its extremely heavy in chem.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5559251.html
Ivy is actually a great guy and really puts out solid experimental information.. not to mention it was monitored by several law attorneys haha.. thats another story though..

(cliffs of this study) -

because orange juice is a complicated polar solution it has dipole-dipole attractive forces between other like solutions, however, to maintain homeostasis (chemical "tranquility" within the body) most organic digestive enzymes are non polar molecules and compounds, making the heterogeneous solution of orange juice + digestive enzymes an ineffective combination directly related to stressing the nervous system (i.e. working out...) . i would recommend more simple sugars with shorter elemental chains, as shorter chains are more soluble with simple digestive enzymes.

Iceiktitan
11-13-08, 5:42 am
I never said all yogurt contains pro-biotics so don't accuse me of the accusation. And as far as your assumption about companies where's the data that suuports this claim?

technically all yogurt does not contain pro-biotics.. now adays companies will do whatever it takes to make that extra buck.. you'd actually have to look for "live culture/probiotics" for it to contain digestive bacteria..

And you would be looking for an isolate protein source PWO, it has the fastest absorption rate as well as the highest bioavailabilty.

sanga
11-13-08, 6:32 am
If you want a quick cheap PWO shake then add sugar to whey or milk, not anywhere near as effective as Torrent or a good Iso whey with Waximaize or the like but if thats all ya got.

In the old days they used to drink a gallon of milk PWO.

alecto42
11-13-08, 9:13 am
I never said all yogurt contains pro-biotics so don't accuse me of the accusation. And as far as your assumption about companies where's the data that suuports this claim?

re-read my post.. i didnt once say that I was accusing you of anything. I simply said that for a yogurt to have bacteria that it would have to be marked on it.

and for as far as my "assumption..." Lots of companies remove the culture prior to their flavoring because the bacteria will in some cases ruin or spoil their flavoring systems.

I do agree yogurt does help in the digestion process if it has bacteria/culture. HOWEVER... not all does that is all i was pointing out.. dont jump to conclusions next time.

Factory
11-13-08, 9:15 am
i go with 2 bananas and 2 cups of oats. along with a ton of meat, and than pb+real gains.

I'm bulking, so you might not want that much oats.

and settle down guys, we're all friends here.

stumblin54
11-13-08, 10:25 am
Bananas, bananas, bananas. They're the perfect fruit to spike insulin PWO. Besides, who doesn't like fruit? And as cheap as they are you cannot go wrong. I eat two PWO every day, with a scoop of whey and plenty of water. If I want more flavor I add powder Gatorade mix in the shake as well.

Stumblin

simpleguy
11-13-08, 10:49 am
Bananas, bananas, bananas. They're the perfect fruit to spike insulin PWO. Besides, who doesn't like fruit? And as cheap as they are you cannot go wrong. I eat two PWO every day, with a scoop of whey and plenty of water. If I want more flavor I add powder Gatorade mix in the shake as well.

Stumblin

I'm digging them, though I don't think about bananas as being the greatest carb choice pwo...

sometimes after a tough workout I'm not really ready for a huge pwo meal, so I chase my torrent 45 mins later with 1-2 bananas and 35-40g whey mixed with a cup of milk (sometimes I might also add pb, since it tastes great especially with bananas and milk)

Aggression
11-13-08, 12:13 pm
I used to drink about 15oz of grape juice with 50g WPI post-workout. Now I drink Green Apple Avalanche Torrent, and man is it good.

Iceiktitan
11-13-08, 1:13 pm
Fair enough..

re-read my post.. i didnt once say that I was accusing you of anything. I simply said that for a yogurt to have bacteria that it would have to be marked on it.

and for as far as my "assumption..." Lots of companies remove the culture prior to their flavoring because the bacteria will in some cases ruin or spoil their flavoring systems.

I do agree yogurt does help in the digestion process if it has bacteria/culture. HOWEVER... not all does that is all i was pointing out.. dont jump to conclusions next time.