PDA

View Full Version : why train legs when you can wear long pants !!!!!

shaneomac
11-12-08, 8:59 pm
hey animals i have been lifting for ten years now but i have a truth i need to tell out of those ten years i have trained legs maybe 20 times yes i am one of the guys that walks around with a decent upper body and legs that look like popsicle sticks i am starting this thread in hope to get some information and support on how to stay committed to training my wheels. the longest i have lasted has been a bout a month i just am starting to heal after a pulled adductor muscle in my left leg any input would be greatly appreciated after reading info from other threads the on how important leg training is i decided to start today i am sitting here typing this while my legs feel like they are gonna fall off - animal is a way of life-

shizz702
11-12-08, 9:42 pm
Man I'm sorry to hear you have neglected legs all this time. There is so much musculature in the legs that when training them hard you can stimulate enough growth to make the whole body grow.

Some advice bro: squats! Lots and lots of squats!

Hope to see you make up for the past loss here.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-12-08, 9:44 pm
Man I'm sorry to hear you have neglected legs all this time. There is so much musculature in the legs that when training them hard you can stimulate enough growth to make the whole body grow.

Some advice bro: squats! Lots and lots of squats!

shizz said it perfectly.. and when your doen squattin, squat some more.. itll make a man outta ya..

shaneomac
11-12-08, 9:44 pm
hey thanks for the post bro i did some hax squats tonight felt pretty good legs are sore just not used to the liftin yet how do you suggest i get into it heavy and blast them or less weight and more reps

SQUAT or DIE!
11-12-08, 9:45 pm
hey thanks for the post bro i did some hax squats tonight felt pretty good legs are sore just not used to the liftin yet how do you suggest i get into it heavy and blast them or less weight and more reps

im all about heavy and low reps, but im a powerlifter so high reps is not in my vocab.. but i thing either one will work.

shizz702
11-12-08, 9:47 pm

We're not talking hack squats bro, we're talking squats!

Read and apply this: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/

Assuming you have a "leg day" within your routine now make squats your first exercise as they will stimulate a natural testosterone release and get you pumped up for the whole workout. Hit them hard and heavy, as heavy as you can handle with good form.

shaneomac
11-12-08, 9:53 pm
thanks for the input i checked out the link thanks bro i will have to get squattin
i just started doin hack cause my pulled adductor but i'll work in some real squats one more question i am makin wen my leg day i don't recover as well as some but what are suggestions on a workout tonight i did for exercises hack leg extension hammies and calfs how much should i do exercises? reps? sets?

shaneomac
11-12-08, 9:59 pm
thanks for all the advice it is appriciated i will keep on postin on my progress

shizz702
11-12-08, 10:04 pm
thanks for the input i checked out the link thanks bro i will have to get squattin
i just started doin hack cause my pulled adductor but i'll work in some real squats one more question i am makin wen my leg day i don't recover as well as some but what are suggestions on a workout tonight i did for exercises hack leg extension hammies and calfs how much should i do exercises? reps? sets?

Here is an example of a productive leg day:

Leg extensions 3x moderate weight
Squats 5x5
Calf raises 3xfailure

The sets and reps there don't include warm ups, those listed would be the work sets. There you have it, that will give you everything you need. The squats hit the entire lower body so that pretty much covers all the bases. The leg extensions are nothing more than a little something to just get some blood flowing in the legs and warm them up, and the calf raises are just a supplementary add on to give the calfs a pump.

Factory
11-12-08, 10:05 pm
if your not squatting your not deadlifting as well as you could. that's enough for me. I also love squatting though... I want to squat more then I want to bench.... a LOT more.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-12-08, 10:06 pm
if your not squatting your not deadlifting as well as you could. that's enough for me. I also love squatting though... I want to squat more then I want to bench.... a LOT more.

LOL hell yeah!

shaneomac
11-12-08, 10:11 pm
Here is an example of a productive leg day:

Leg extensions 3x moderate weight
Squats 5x5
Calf raises 3xfailure

The sets and reps there don't include warm ups, those listed would be the work sets. There you have it, that will give you everything you need. The squats hit the entire lower body so that pretty much covers all the bases. The leg extensions are nothing more than a little something to just get some blood flowing in the legs and warm them up, and the calf raises are just a supplementary add on to give the calfs a pump.

thanks bro that really helps ill have to give it a try sounds like i been missin out on alot popsicle sticks to logs is the name of the game i'll keep it posted

shizz702
11-12-08, 10:15 pm
thanks bro that really helps ill have to give it a try sounds like i been missin out on alot popsicle sticks to logs is the name of the game i'll keep it posted

Right on bro. Stick with training the legs! I know you like having your upper body developed, so keep in mind your upper body will get even bigger from training the legs. There's an old saying, "if you want big arms, squat!"

Factory
11-12-08, 10:20 pm
Shizz and me disagree on what a productive leg day is. I'd rather be doing like 25 sets... but that's just me. If I'm not doing back squats, front squats, hack squats and box squats in the same day.... well it wasn't a good leg day. But I'm an idiot... so don't listen to me. Shizz's routine is a lot better for mass & strength, for most people.

shaneomac
11-13-08, 9:26 pm
well i trained legs yesterday for the first time in years and i'm payin for it today but its a good hurt i think i will be training legs once a week so i'll keep my progress up to date anymore info on leg training would be appreciated i know alot about the upper body (because that's all i have done for years) but i want to learn about the lower thanks for any input

shaneomac
11-14-08, 1:31 pm
legs still sore goin to hit the gym after work and pound out some back and bis
for back im thinking
db rows
wide grip pullups
lat pulldowns
for bis i'm thinkin
spider curls
and db drop set

CANT WAIT FOR THE ARNOLD