PDA

View Full Version : Energy drinks for pre workout?

redskin 344
11-14-08, 4:17 pm
Would having 5 hour energy or red pull incuded in a pre workout meal be good?

SQUAT or DIE!
11-14-08, 4:20 pm
ive had some energy drinks before i train, usually gets me goin if im tired.. i dont see how its much different than a stim pill or shock therapy...

prowrestler
11-14-08, 4:25 pm
if im not feelin it i do, i like the taste of energy drinks, its my beer lol

redskin 344
11-14-08, 8:25 pm
the five hour energy is a piece of shit lol

it doesnt work at all...

SQUAT or DIE!
11-14-08, 8:29 pm
worked well for me... but i prefer rockstar or monster

Ashley_Brand
11-14-08, 8:31 pm
I always do some sort of energy boosting product preworkout. I would recommend to take it away from the meal though. Stuff like that reacts better in a less full stomach. So say you are eating you preworkout meal 1-2 hours before you train.... eat then wait until about 20 mintues before you train to down which ever product you choose.

simpleguy
11-15-08, 10:55 am
I always do some sort of energy boosting product preworkout. I would recommend to take it away from the meal though. Stuff like that reacts better in a less full stomach. So say you are eating you preworkout meal 1-2 hours before you train.... eat then wait until about 20 mintues before you train to down which ever product you choose.

yup, if you have an energy drink 1-2 hrs pre w/o, chances are your blood sugar will drop just about the time you start your workout... personally, I'd have it as close to the workout as possible, say 10-15 mins

prowrestler
11-15-08, 11:02 am
yup, if you have an energy drink 1-2 hrs pre w/o, chances are your blood sugar will drop just about the time you start your workout... personally, I'd have it as close to the workout as possible, say 10-15 mins

yeee like that

i do it right before i unrack the barbell actually.

houseofpain
11-15-08, 11:08 am
There are much better alternatives to pre workout supplements with less sugar that are alot less expensive

Feel The Power
11-15-08, 12:27 pm
I like the power-edge energy drink (sugar free of course).. it looks like a crystal light packet. I mix it in my shaker with storm and Animos. However, I only take this on cardio days.. My training days I do pump and it already has lots of stims in it so I'm good.

IronWilson
11-15-08, 1:02 pm
the five hour energy is a piece of shit lol

it doesnt work at all...

Yeah 5 hour energy is pretty useless.

Sugar free energy drinks won't cause your blood sugar to drop. But if I remember correctly I don't think that the sugar-free ones have as much kick as the sugar filled energy drinks.

I say get some shock therapy. I'm always skeptical of supps, especially preworkout ones. But Shock therapy gives me a great kick in the ass. If you look at the price per servings, its cheaper than buying an energy drink every day.

NPRamirez
11-15-08, 1:27 pm
I would stick with pre workout supps because they are MUCH cheaper. Shock therapy is about 60 cents a servings compared to a 2-3 dollars can of energy drink. Sure, energy drinks taste better but you need to weigh the pros and cons.

energy drink

pros -
taste

cons -
high price
high sugar
can cause serious health issues long term

And in my opinion, Shock therapy tastes pretty good. It's not like you sip on it. Just chug it down and get to work.

Feel The Power
11-15-08, 2:51 pm
true.. they do get VERY expensive.

Ashley_Brand
11-15-08, 3:06 pm
I to, would always vote for a preworkout supplement before a regular energy drink.
Two more pro's:
Aminos
Creatine

plus many more...

redskin 344
11-15-08, 10:11 pm
eh u guys got shock therapy covered...

universal makes a shock therapy supp. too... just gotta get the hell out of high school and I'll be out of here at the end of this school year to college to get everything I want...
real gains, torrent, shock therapy...maybe some animal flex..

Roland
11-16-08, 2:46 am
I always have a low carb monster bout 30-45 minutes pre workout and i feel it gives me good energy and it also doesn't make me jittery as shock therapy or the red pills.

Lawnmower Man
11-16-08, 2:50 pm
i think the best thing to do is take caffeine pills pre workout. you can get a bottle of 90 for $3

Giant Killer
11-16-08, 3:01 pm
SHOCK THERAPY

that is all

Gambit
11-16-08, 3:25 pm
SHOCK THERAPY

that is all

Agreed. Depending on your flavor, mix a little powerade in with it (and your water) and you got a good cocktail that'll fire you up

stumblin54
11-16-08, 6:45 pm
I drink a cup or two of coffee to get going.

Stumblin

Aggression
11-17-08, 11:30 am
I used to buy myself a sugar-free red bull on my way to the gym, and finish it up during my first few sets. To me, I felt like it did the job.

I read an article is MD magazine; they did a study on energy drinks pre-workout. I don't remember the exact statistics but I do remember that in the end, they claimed that it had little to no effect on boosting energy levels/performance in the gym.

simpleguy
11-17-08, 11:59 am
I don't remember the exact statistics but I do remember that in the end, they claimed that it had little to no effect on boosting energy levels/performance in the gym.

it's obvious, comparing it to a pre w/o supp such as ST, is like comparing apples to oranges...

acutally, you'll find in most pre w/o supps anything you can find in say red bull - B vitamins, caffeine, taurine, some even have sugars as well... the difference is that the energy drink comes much more expensive while per w/o supps have a load of other stuff in them

Aggression
11-17-08, 12:14 pm
it's obvious, comparing it to a pre w/o supp such as ST, is like comparing apples to oranges...

acutally, you'll find in most pre w/o supps anything you can find in say red bull - B vitamins, caffeine, taurine, some even have sugars as well... the difference is that the energy drink comes much more expensive while per w/o supps have a load of other stuff in them

True.

I think a lot of it is just a mind game with energy drinks. If one is tired and run-down, just the mentality of drinking a red-bull will give the person the needed boost. It may have no legit effect, but the placebo effect of having a 'energy drink' would be enuff to help the person get pumped up.

Taking a pre-workout, like shock therapy on the other hand, has legit effects IMO. I can legitimately feel the difference between using and not using it.

bdb1513
11-17-08, 12:26 pm
+1 for shock therapy....everyone take just one scoop? i remember reading somewhere on here that people were using 2 scoops once...but i would think that shit would be like crack haha

On Letting Go
11-17-08, 12:29 pm
Ive tried a ton of different pre-workout supps, shock therapy included. I just ordered caffeine and arginine tabs, which are the primary ingredients in most any pwo energy/pump supplement. So im gonna use caff/arginine pre-workout and compare against all the powdered drinks ive tried. Im expecting results damn near identical to all the others, and i hope im right because its a hell of a lot cheaper.

Aggression
11-17-08, 12:33 pm
+1 for shock therapy....everyone take just one scoop? i remember reading somewhere on here that people were using 2 scoops once...but i would think that shit would be like crack haha

Yeah I know people who use 2 scoops, and take double the dosage of stuff in general. I've always just stuck with 1 scoop for ST, as well as the recommended servings for everything else, 'cept protein powder haha.

simpleguy
11-17-08, 1:50 pm
Yeah I know people who use 2 scoops, and take double the dosage of stuff in general. I've always just stuck with 1 scoop for ST, as well as the recommended servings for everything else, 'cept protein powder haha.

smart move, I've tried ST, pump and a few other pre w/o supps, and most of the times using more just leads to your body getting used to it...

Aggression
11-17-08, 2:16 pm
smart move, I've tried ST, pump and a few other pre w/o supps, and most of the times using more just leads to your body getting used to it...

Yeah. I believe your body gets used to a certain amount of the same thing. I usually switch between ST and Animal Pump, using 2 orders worth of one, then switching to the other for 2.

IRBS
11-17-08, 2:20 pm
Shock Therapy plus a Monster Energy Drink (I believe Powerfreak was a fan of this)...fantastic combo! I dont care what that study said, it works...

Dingo
11-17-08, 2:42 pm
Yeah. I believe your body gets used to a certain amount of the same thing. I usually switch between ST and Animal Pump, using 2 orders worth of one, then switching to the other for 2.

i used to be on 1000 mg of caffeine a day..... between various supps/energy drinks. so, yeah your body determinately adapts to the stims, now im down to about 250mg a day, 125 throughout the day and the other 125 pre/during workout.
IMO it can be very addictive and make you feel you "need" it. It was hard, but i weened myself off of high amounts of caff.

Big Wides
11-17-08, 2:59 pm
Shock Therapy plus a Monster Energy Drink (I believe Powerfreak was a fan of this)...fantastic combo! I dont care what that study said, it works...

Yeah that was Powerfreak and it is a kick right in the ass....tried it once and was bouncing off the walls. Its an experience

JUGGERNAUT
11-17-08, 3:15 pm
My Shock Therapy/Intra-Aid combo is way better than anything so far. Can train for hours straight with little fatigue. Don't stray from the best, it makes a difference for the worst.

Giant Killer
11-17-08, 8:50 pm

I can even do 1/2 scoop and get a nice boost if I want to. I actually got my caffeine tolerance back down pretty good and was doing this for a little while.

Dingo
11-18-08, 12:15 am
I can even do 1/2 scoop and get a nice boost if I want to. I actually got my caffeine tolerance back down pretty good and was doing this for a little while.

i think its best havin your stim tolerance low, it makes the $ go further.

simpleguy
11-18-08, 3:12 am

i think its best havin your stim tolerance low, it makes the $ go further.

agreed... you'll get used to any sick combo you come up with (such as ST plus Monster) if you use it every time

msktyshha
12-09-09, 9:16 pm
Can preworkout drinks and energy drinks with all these unknown stimulants be bad for your heart? Like when I take this preworkout drink I can actually feel like my heart is about to eXplode!! what do you guys think

type-A
12-09-09, 9:27 pm
What kind of preworkout drink are you taking?

Kryptonite
12-09-09, 11:10 pm
Hahaha, that's great.

Lower doses, bro. That stuff can be POTENT. Especially for guys that are new to pre workout supplements. And keep in mind if you already feel well energized before you hit the gym without taking a pre workout supplement, and then you take it, you're only adding gas to the fire.

By the way, what isn't bad for you these days?

BCent
12-10-09, 2:49 am
Yeah man, start off small, assess you're tolerance. I know i never pay attention to that little part on the label either, but stims dont affect me too much. For a lot of guys though, thats definitely something they need to do.

GJN5002
12-10-09, 11:27 am
You can def overdo it with caffeine and all the mystery stims companies put in products. If anything, I will chew up about 100mg of caffeine before I hit the gym.

rev8ball
12-10-09, 12:04 pm
Can preworkout drinks and energy drinks with all these unknown stimulants be bad for your heart? Like when I take this preworkout drink I can actually feel like my heart is about to eXplode!! what do you guys think

Not a tough decision. If you don't like the feeling, drop the stims....End of any exploding hearts.

fenix237
12-10-09, 3:24 pm
good call rev8ball!

my fav PWO supp is the ol' ECA stack- 25mg ephedra, 200mg caffeine, and 81mg aspirin- cheap, safe, and potent. i like the steady energy it gives you...

msktyshha
12-11-09, 11:12 pm
good call rev8ball!

my fav PWO supp is the ol' ECA stack- 25mg ephedra, 200mg caffeine, and 81mg aspirin- cheap, safe, and potent. i like the steady energy it gives you...

aspirin???? as in that pain killer type aspirin

belladiabla13
12-12-09, 2:12 pm
Niacin and a cup of coffee. Cheap and very effective. Give it a try, let me know what ya think!

belladiabla13
12-12-09, 2:13 pm
aspirin???? as in that pain killer type aspirin

yep plain ole aspirin

JasonG
12-12-09, 6:31 pm
good call rev8ball!

Hell yeah you nothing can touch the old ECA stack. Unless you stack it with shock therapy, but get the caffine piece of it from that.

type-A
12-17-09, 12:39 am
A good preworkout supplement, like animal pump or the like, and a bcaa/eaa/carb powder cocktail during and I feel like I'm on PCP. Stims for life lol

DA GOVNA
12-17-09, 1:18 am
5 grams creatine monohydrate in the AM and Shock Therapy pre-workout. This is the best and cheapest stack I have EVER used. Lots of other pre-workout drinks and energy drinks have TOO MUCH caffeine which can hinder your work out. have NO MORE than 3 grams per pound you way. Plus others have TONS of SUGAR, which we all know is the worst of the worst for a lifter.

-DA GOV

DA GOVNA
12-17-09, 1:21 am
good call rev8ball!

Umm... STAY AWAY FROM ASPRIN! I do not have enough time to go off on this subject but ask around and research it. DO NOT TAKE ASPRIN POST or PRE-workout. Things have changed in the last 10 yrs and asprin is not the way to go.

-DA GOV

DA GOVNA
12-17-09, 1:27 am
FUCK IT...I FOUND IT HERE OU GO...

Aspirin and ibuprofen are good anti-inflammatories for muscle recovery.

The topic of muscle inflammation is pretty hot these days because it’s thought that minimizing this natural response will enhance recovery. By allowing us to hit the gym or get back on the field quicker, we can once again stimulate our bodies with a hard training session.

While the theory holds some water, we need to be careful how far we take it. For example, the use of traditional pain relievers, like aspirin and ibuprofen, has been increasingly common, because most people just don’t like the feeling of muscle soreness (T-Nation readers excepted because we’re hardly "most people").

A common effect of these pain relievers is that they exert a powerful anti-inflammatory effect. This fact has excited some budding pseudo-scientists, because they reason that using these common drugs will reduce muscle inflammation and enhance recovery. Great theory, poor applicability.

Early research showed that post workout use of these drugs inhibited our natural production of a chemical necessary for muscle growth and repair (Trappe et al., 2001). Further investigation showed that sure enough, muscle protein synthesis was completely shut down when these drugs were combined with strength training (Trappe et al., 2002). As a final kick in the teeth, using these drugs resulted in no effect on either inflammation (Peterson et al., 2003), or muscle soreness (Trappe et al., 2002).

Essentially we get the worst of all worlds when combining nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) like aspirin and ibuprofen, with strength straining. Having said that, it is important to note that there are several different ways of affecting inflammation, some may be good, others are clearly bad. Keep in the back of your mind that limiting inflammation is a good idea, but certainly be aware that it is not universally beneficial.

Dingo
12-17-09, 1:41 am
Tnation lost all credibility with me when they started this:
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_Program_30?vdietNavTop

"Meal 1: Shake and supplements
Meal 2: Shake and supplements
Meal 3: Shake and supplements
Meal 4: Healthy Solid Meal
Meal 5: Shake and supplements"

its a company owned forum like ours, except universal doesnt tout supps over food as the basis for any diet, meanwhile that other site obviously wants to sell sell sell, take a crap load of supps and only ONE solid food meal a day..........

IronWilson
12-17-09, 7:51 am
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_Program_30?vdietNavTop

Yep, the worst diet plan I have ever seen.

fenix237
12-17-09, 10:20 am
Umm... STAY AWAY FROM ASPRIN! I do not have enough time to go off on this subject but ask around and research it. DO NOT TAKE ASPRIN POST or PRE-workout. Things have changed in the last 10 yrs and asprin is not the way to go.

-DA GOV

thanks for looking out DG- i've had a couple people warn me of the same thing- i think they said too much aspirin can wreak havoc on the liver...it seems anymore when i hear "breaking news" warning us of dire consequences if we eat this or take that, i get skeptical.... (eggs, red meat, creatine, ephedra etc..)

for the record i cycle ECA and sometimes eliminate the aspirin or use an 81mg

***that T-Nation diet^^^ is crap for sure

msktyshha
12-17-09, 12:53 pm
yeah aspirin thing didn'tt sound right cause last time I took aspirin all I wanted to do was sleep and it was like I had no blood in me and felt calm ...not energetic!!!

Beowulf
12-17-09, 1:01 pm

its a company owned forum like ours, except universal doesnt tout supps over food as the basis for any diet, meanwhile that other site obviously wants to sell sell sell, take a crap load of supps and only ONE solid food meal a day..........

T-Nation? Isn't that run by a supplement company?

rev8ball
12-17-09, 1:34 pm
Okay, guys, let's move past the other website, and get back to the original post.......

Dingo
12-17-09, 1:43 pm
Okay, guys, let's move past the other website, and get back to the original post.......

i was just trying to point out that his source may have some credibility issues about asprin being bad for bodybuilding.

daflex
12-17-09, 1:48 pm
what cha guys think about drinkin actual carbonated energy drinks before a workout. Ex. Amp, Nos, ect. I don't know if its just in my mind or what but seems like if i have something carbonated before i workout i don't feel as strong and got alot less muscle endurance

mritter3
12-17-09, 1:53 pm
pre workout the only thing i take is shock therapy and some beta alanine...every so often i switch back and forth with pump...so i dont get too used to the same product...but other than that, thats it.

daflex
12-17-09, 1:55 pm
This post turned into a shock therapy slogan im sure its great but thats not the purpose of the (energy drinks for pre workout) question.

JUGGERNAUT
12-17-09, 1:57 pm
Why use energy drinks (from who knows who really makes them) at all if you are already on supps? Sounds like a waste of money. Have you all used KWIK ENERGY http://www.universalnutrition.com/store/html/product.cfm?id=378 just re-released?

daflex
12-17-09, 1:59 pm
since one page of this is about shock therapy and another on asprin i might as well ask while its on subject what do you guys think about shock therapy as aposed to others have had noexpl, black pow, superdump, loved that stuff for first hour on it everday then after workout weh. um ect. how think compares.

daflex
12-17-09, 2:03 pm
to be honest i would give it a try the re released quik but guarana has a all of a sudden drop off and its got just over a cup coffee worth of caffinee which would be tons cheaper. have you tried it and like it compared to the price im just sayin with as little that in it i would rather have actual preworkout with an addition like creati, no, ect. if its just caffine i would stick with coffee and a apple or the synergistic effect of asp, caff, and ephe.

fenix237
12-17-09, 2:06 pm
noexpl, black pow, superdump

deflex- just a heads up- discussions about other companies products are not permitted in the Forvm- you can check out other forvms to see how they compare.

i will say everything i read comparing Pre W/O supps show that ST is very popular

daflex
12-17-09, 2:10 pm
i kinda knew that but didnt do it on purpose. ya know was tryin to politely ask a question that why i abbriviated the names and didn't comment on any of them except one made my bowels upset but i appriciate it and do understand the policy just conversating and guess wasn't right way to go about it for i am only a week old in here i will from now on just mention others as others. thx

JUGGERNAUT
12-17-09, 2:27 pm
to be honest i would give it a try the re released quik but guarana has a all of a sudden drop off and its got just over a cup coffee worth of caffinee which would be tons cheaper. have you tried it and like it compared to the price im just sayin with as little that in it i would rather have actual preworkout with an addition like creati, no, ect. if its just caffine i would stick with coffee and a apple or the synergistic effect of asp, caff, and ephe.

I try my best to not only cycle stims but to use lower power stuff. There is something to be said about how a product is mixed with what and what it's mixed with...meaning chucking various stuff together does not mean it will jive with the rest. I give credit to a supplement company that does R&D to deterinine what works. This said, maybe it "seems" light on ingredients but its effects may be greater together as a whole.

1. Because personally I feel that nobody should have a stim dictate how good their workout is, that should be mental. (Or get a solid 8 hours of sleep)
2. No matter how strong a product you use, your body just craves more; so back to my cycle talk...
3. Shock Therapy for me is a little too much and prefer the effects of Intra-Aid over it.

I have used the Kwik and like it because it's not like getting hit by lightning but has a good sustained release of decent energy. I don't and won't ever use it daily just for a kick.

daflex
12-17-09, 2:40 pm
I agree with almost everything you said except i havent actually tried the two you mentioned but i completely agree in not taking any thing if you don't have to and the least you can take for desired results is definately best and not to mention im kinda cheap thats why for the most part i stick with a cup of java and an apple twenty minutes before and powdered carbs in a drink during.

JUGGERNAUT
12-17-09, 2:55 pm
I agree with almost everything you said except i havent actually tried the two you mentioned but i completely agree in not taking any thing if you don't have to and the least you can take for desired results is definately best and not to mention im kinda cheap thats why for the most part i stick with a cup of java and an apple twenty minutes before and powdered carbs in a drink during.

Very cool and I never see being frugal as a bad thing; heck, it makes your decisions better!

I'm never a supp pusher but I can say when I am using something; I don't critique it until I have used it for about 2 months. I find my staples, keep my diet in check and sleep like a bear whenever possible; so when its gym time, I'm primed and have all I need to train like I won't live another day....all on healthy energy.

Kain81
12-17-09, 2:55 pm
i say. and it's just what i found the best results w/

PUMP 30 min before.

no sugars. or syrup. or crappy taste. no opulent designer can. no flash. just pumped, jacked, and ready to attack.

plus. $2-3 PER energy drink.

check out the best price you can find on PUMP. divide it by the servings size and get your price per pak. that ALONE would be deciding factor.

rev8ball
12-17-09, 3:19 pm
I find my staples, keep my diet in check and sleep like a bear whenever possible; so when its gym time, I'm primed and have all I need to train like I won't live another day....all on healthy energy.

Bingo, Juggs. I eat, sleep, and have enough energy to kill the weights. Of course, the ADHD helps, too.....

JasonG
12-17-09, 7:21 pm
I love those Monster coffee flavored energy drinks. Damn those are good! Might not be good for you with all the sugar, but once in awhile I'll grab one.

Thunder Chicken
12-17-09, 7:34 pm
i love 2 Drink that Monster "Nitrous" drink sometimes before i work out!