PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice

gtice
11-14-08, 8:20 pm
Just got home from Iraq and it was a hell of a great time, im joking seriously. If you've been there you know what im talking about. So over the last 6 months I've been hitting squats and deads at least once a week. As i worked hard, my gains grew in weight. I started to notice a stabbing pain in the right side of my lower abs, about belt line.
THis pain feels like something is pushing out. Now I know everyone screams hernia, well the problem is when i hit like 305-325 for 6-8 reps no pain, when i start running the rack though and get to about 230-245 for some reason it hurts. This pain is not long lasting, has not gained in intensity, and if i wear a belt, it still occurs. Any advice for alevation of this pain would be great. I of course can go to my corpsman who has already told me in basic terms that if it isn't causing me great pain now, it is non-surgical. WHile i'm at it if someone can hook me up with some great rotator cuff excercises I would be most appreciated.

BryanSmash!
11-14-08, 10:00 pm
Im no doctor but here's my opinion: Your corpsman is a dick. If he gives you a medical diagnosis without fully examining you, you might want to bypass him and go the next step up. Hey, medical care is free right? Go up your chain of command if you believe you have an injury that could potentially get worse without treatment.

Best rotator cuff exercise: Prevention. Check your form on the bench and drop the weight if you have to.
2nd best rotator cuff exercise: Standing overhead presses. Barbell or dumbbell. Strict form.

Oh and heres a group you may want to join:
http://forum.animalpak.com/group.php?groupid=4

Hope this helps!

daninarmy
11-15-08, 12:35 am
SEE A DOC !!!!! dont mess with it it may onlyget worse. I rather get it checked out and find its nothing than have problems later on down the road.

Tiny
11-15-08, 12:34 pm
Just got home from Iraq and it was a hell of a great time, im joking seriously. If you've been there you know what im talking about. So over the last 6 months I've been hitting squats and deads at least once a week. As i worked hard, my gains grew in weight. I started to notice a stabbing pain in the right side of my lower abs, about belt line.
THis pain feels like something is pushing out. Now I know everyone screams hernia, well the problem is when i hit like 305-325 for 6-8 reps no pain, when i start running the rack though and get to about 230-245 for some reason it hurts. This pain is not long lasting, has not gained in intensity, and if i wear a belt, it still occurs. Any advice for alevation of this pain would be great. I of course can go to my corpsman who has already told me in basic terms that if it isn't causing me great pain now, it is non-surgical. WHile i'm at it if someone can hook me up with some great rotator cuff excercises I would be most appreciated.

Hey, brother, thanks for serving and laying it on the line and glad you're back. Yes, there are very good, specific exercises for strengthening the rotator cuff. Shit like overhead presses and crap do jack shit (nothing) for your rotator - in fucking fact, if you develop any extreme muscle mass in your deltoids without having specifically trained those three, invisible, tiny little rotator cuff muscles, you create a big imbalance and increase the odds of eventually injuring the rotator and having problems there. AND that is why it happens to so many of us really huge guys - because you can't see the rotator muscles, few people ever have the foresight to train them. Most of the rotator specific exercises swivle/pivot off the elbow, and you need to begin with ridiculously light weight - like a 2.5 pound plate - and progress from there (but you'll never really end up using anything "heavy" because these are very slight muscles and that isn't what they need, the shoulder is mostly a suction type socket, anyway). First stick your arm out to your side (either side first but one at a time) in a "dress right dress" type movement/extension. Now without moving anything from the shoulder to the elbow, pivot the hand inward/forward (off the elbow) so the hand is pointing in front but elbow still pointing to the side. Now place a 2.5 pound plate in your hand and simply rotate at the shoulder so the hand with the plate is now pointing stright up (but from shoulder to elbow still pointing in original position). Now rotate it back to the start, then up again. It is that simple - high reps, very light weight. Another exercise is arm down at your side, bend 90 degrees at the elbow so the hand points forward; grasp the 2.5 pound plate and rotate inward to the midline of the body, then rotate back outward so hand is pointing forards again. I know - these descriptions aren't the greatest, so google, brother, google. But yes, there are specific exercises for the rotator cuff.

sanga
11-15-08, 12:48 pm
Excellent post Tiny.

I do these exact rotator exercises before every upper body workout, I started with 2lb d/bs and now only use 6lb d/bs some 3 months later, you don`t need heavy weights.