PDA

View Full Version : Starting 20 squat program Monday... anyone do it?

Junkie2
11-14-08, 8:37 pm
This is the program I am starting M/W/F for the next 6 weeks.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/printlog2.php?Exercise[]=Squat+-+20+reps&Sets[]=1&Exercise[]=Pullovers+-+20+reps&Sets[]=1&Exercise[]=Stiff-legged+deadlift+-+15+reps&Sets[]=1&Exercise[]=Pullovers+-+20+reps&Sets[]=1&Exercise[]=Bench+press+-+10+reps&Sets[]=3&Exercise[]=Bent+row+-+15+reps&Sets[]=3&Exercise[]=Military+press+-+12+reps&Sets[]=3&TotalExercises=7&mood=yes&weight=yes&cardio=yes&location=yes&length=yes&comments=yes&instruct=yes&firstname=&name=Sample+Recovery+Program.+For+Those+With+Good+ Recovery+Ability.

It is the program that John McCallum developed in the late 1960s and it is proven to yield great results if enough rest/food is given.

Has anyone here tried it?

shizz702
11-14-08, 9:02 pm
This is the program I am starting M/W/F for the next 6 weeks.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/printlog2.php?Exercise[]=Squat+-+20+reps&Sets[]=1&Exercise[]=Pullovers+-+20+reps&Sets[]=1&Exercise[]=Stiff-legged+deadlift+-+15+reps&Sets[]=1&Exercise[]=Pullovers+-+20+reps&Sets[]=1&Exercise[]=Bench+press+-+10+reps&Sets[]=3&Exercise[]=Bent+row+-+15+reps&Sets[]=3&Exercise[]=Military+press+-+12+reps&Sets[]=3&TotalExercises=7&mood=yes&weight=yes&cardio=yes&location=yes&length=yes&comments=yes&instruct=yes&firstname=&name=Sample+Recovery+Program.+For+Those+With+Good+ Recovery+Ability.

It is the program that John McCallum developed in the late 1960s and it is proven to yield great results if enough rest/food is given.

Yep I'm very familiar with it and have done a variation of it. I gained a good 10 or 15 lbs within a month on it. Very good, solid program and guaranteed to produce results as long as you put in the effort and eat and rest enough.

Be sure to eat a fuck ton, sleep at least 9 hours a day, and it is recommended you drink a gallon of milk a day on it.

Also, I'm sure you already know the 20 rep squat is intended to be done heavy, like your 10 rep max heavy, and to be done with lots of deep breaths inbetween. Here's a perfect example of how they are done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyyqDB6WMuI

With the pullovers, no need to go heavy on them, just focus on a good chest stretch. Best of luck bro, hope you make some good gains.

Junkie2
11-14-08, 9:14 pm
Thanks for the extra info. I've been reading about it for the past 2 days. I am in college and heading home tonight to steal some a few gallons of milk from my parents.

This is probably the most simple mass gaining program i have seen... although you must train hard as hell.

redskin 344
11-14-08, 9:21 pm
i have a few questions, as of now I am a senior in high school and I take an Anatomy and Physiology course which is fucking amazing. I learn so many great things about the human body and its hormones, etc.. and one thing I benefited from was knowing that taking in too much calcium can be detrimental to your heart. I know drinking a gollon of milk a day is incredibly beneficial with the 20 rep squat program, but wont it put u at any risk or is there really nothing to worry about?

PS: Has anyone heard of or tried the 20 deadlift program..if there is such a thing which im sure there should be right? I just did deads today 305 lbs and the half hour following it I felt like I was gonna puke cuz it was so fuckin intense. On my second set I could only knock out 2 reps cuz my grip failed but the 3rd set I used hooks and knocked out 7 reps! A week ago I could do 5 reps max

shizz702
11-14-08, 9:23 pm
Thanks for the extra info. I've been reading about it for the past 2 days. I am in college and heading home tonight to steal some a few gallons of milk from my parents.

This is probably the most simple mass gaining program i have seen... although you must train hard as hell.

Here's a great old article on it written my McCallum himself: http://www.bulkingup.moonfruit.com/#/20repsquats/4513061285

Yea don't be fooled bro, those 20 rep squats are no joke and few survive this program. The first week or so start out light to build your endurance and mental toughness up, but by once you get to the core of the training cycle you need to be literally falling over upon the last rep. Once you get started add 5 lbs to the bar every workout. Don't get greedy with the 10 lb jumps, as the weight adds up quick. Do it right as the program calls for 6 weeks and you will add 90 lbs to your 20 rep squat. As said start off light for a week or so then from there hit it hard from there.

shizz702
11-14-08, 9:25 pm
Yea the 20 rep deadlift program is the same as the 20 rep squat program posted here, of course only difference is deadlifts instead of squats.

Don't know bout the calcium issue, don't care, this is how all the old timers bulked up and how many, myself included bulk up today.

As the famous Animal quote goes, "I don't care if I die, as long as they bury me in a big fucking box!"

NWSaint
11-14-08, 9:30 pm

J-2!!

Yeah, 20 rep squats bring it outta ya for sure.. I did mine pre-summer 08 & it kicked my F'n ass!!.. thing is, once you get to 20 reps you want more, as in more reps, and you just keep drivin' set'n new goals for yourself.. I used 315 in my quest and once I got to 20 I made 30 my goal.. got to 28 to parallel and that was it!.. after that I started a regression & realized that I was overtraining BIGTIME, as in just continuing week after week month after month with a posessed like attitude.. LoL.. when you hit 20 reps you'll feel my meaning, you'll just naturally want more, but be careful not to do too much or you might find yourself slipping into the not so great feel of overtraining.. Also, if ya get the chance (if you already haven't done so) get the book titled "Super Squats" by Randall J. Strossen .. it's the 20-rep program in full detail, not that there's much to it except hard mf'n work!!.. & for the record, the guy that brought it all to the limelight was a man named J.C. Hise in the 1920's/1930's.. read the book boss, you'll dig it.. Welcome to the club of hard work! It'll kick your ass but it's well worth it!

NWSaint.

Junkie2
11-14-08, 9:32 pm
Here's a great old article on it written my McCallum himself: http://www.bulkingup.moonfruit.com/#/20repsquats/4513061285

Yea don't be fooled bro, those 20 rep squats are no joke and few survive this program. The first week or so start out light to build your endurance and mental toughness up, but by once you get to the core of the training cycle you need to be literally falling over upon the last rep. Once you get started add 5 lbs to the bar every workout. Don't get greedy with the 10 lb jumps, as the weight adds up quick. Do it right as the program calls for 6 weeks and you will add 90 lbs to your 20 rep squat. As said start off light for a week or so then from there hit it hard from there.

Thanks for the info. My current 10RM is a mere 205. I am absolutely determined to do this for 6 weeks and not miss a beat. 20 reps is a hell of a lot... mental toughness is all you need.

shizz702
11-14-08, 9:37 pm
Thanks for the info. My current 10RM is a mere 205. I am absolutely determined to do this for 6 weeks and not miss a beat. 20 reps is a hell of a lot... mental toughness is all you need.

Yep, the last time I did a 20 rep squat set was with 205 on a bench at parrallel depth, I peaked on the 20 rep squats with 225 when I did them.

I made a vid of it: http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z172/shizz702/?action=view&current=Boxsquat205x20.flv

notice how I take all the breaths inbetween and literally fall over afterward, that's how they have got to be done bro!

Junkie2
11-14-08, 9:38 pm
Yep, the last time I did a 20 rep squat set was with 205 on a bench at parrallel depth, I peaked on the 20 rep squats with 225 when I did them.

I made a vid of it: http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z172/shizz702/?action=view&current=Boxsquat205x20.flv

notice how I take all the breaths inbetween and literally fall over afterward, that's how they have got to be done bro!

When you say you peaked at 225, you mean after 6 weeks your squats only went up 20 pounds?

Nice vid

shizz702
11-14-08, 9:41 pm
When you say you peaked at 225, you mean after 6 weeks your squats only went up 20 pounds?

Nice vid

I did the program about a year and a half ago. I started with 135 and had much less strength back then. So I made the full 90 lb gain.

That vid there was from a couple months ago, I did that as a back off set after doing a heavy low rep set.

redskin 344
11-14-08, 9:59 pm
Yea the 20 rep deadlift program is the same as the 20 rep squat program posted here, of course only difference is deadlifts instead of squats.

Don't know bout the calcium issue, don't care, this is how all the old timers bulked up and how many, myself included bulk up today.

As the famous Animal quote goes, "I don't care if I die, as long as they bury me in a big fucking box!"

haha true that

With the 20 rep deadlift would it be okay to drop the floor between intense reps?

shizz702
11-14-08, 10:02 pm
haha true that

With the 20 rep deadlift would it be okay to drop the floor between intense reps?

Here's me pulling 225xtwenty something, I always lose count when watching it lol http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z172/shizz702/?action=view&current=Deadliftwidowmaker.flv

I took me like 10 minutes to catch my breath after that lol!

MojoMike36
11-14-08, 10:53 pm
Tried modified Squats and Milk training program for about 2 months. I was already in stride during a bulk when I started so I was able to really determine if there was a big boost in growth or not. Shizz turned me onto it. I vouch for him and would suggest you try whatever Shizz may have to offer no matter how radical or extreme it may sound. :)

My program was basically based around the thinking that in general if you take 30-45 seconds to 20 rep your 10 rep weight with almost any of the major compound lifts (excluding bench) you're going to grow! Your body doesn't have a choice.

Tiny
11-15-08, 12:45 pm
i have a few questions, as of now I am a senior in high school and I take an Anatomy and Physiology course which is fucking amazing. I learn so many great things about the human body and its hormones, etc.. and one thing I benefited from was knowing that taking in too much calcium can be detrimental to your heart. I know drinking a gollon of milk a day is incredibly beneficial with the 20 rep squat program, but wont it put u at any risk or is there really nothing to worry about?

PS: Has anyone heard of or tried the 20 deadlift program..if there is such a thing which im sure there should be right? I just did deads today 305 lbs and the half hour following it I felt like I was gonna puke cuz it was so fuckin intense. On my second set I could only knock out 2 reps cuz my grip failed but the 3rd set I used hooks and knocked out 7 reps! A week ago I could do 5 reps max

Now THAT is the way to utilize straps or hooks or whatever you got - after failure. Keep that shit up and you'll get wherever you're trying to go. As for the edumacation studies, it's good, it can be very useful, but don't let it limit you. So far, academia follows in the footsteps of the athlete - it doesn't lead. True enough, an educated trainer can put a few peices together and strike upon gold, but don't expect the science to confirm or support it for years after the fact. For a couple DECADES science and the medical community said "anabolics" did not improve athletic performance - now a days if an athlete can even spell anabolic he is under suspicion of "cheating."