PDA

View Full Version : Your 'CORE' is IMPORTANT

Carpe Diem P.T
11-15-08, 4:43 pm
I am reading a lot of journeys and am not seeing much core work.

This shit is important people. Get it done or suffer the consequences.

What do the core muscles do?

• While no one is ever completely safe from injury, strong core muscles go a long way toward injury prevention in both sports and routine activities like pulling a semi trailer up a hill or picking up a 400kg kettle bell. (i modified that part :)

• Strong core muscles help your extremities to work well in conjunction with the rest of your body. So when you're teeing off or serving, muscles throughout your body contribute to the effort and cushion the strain on your joints.

• Back injuries often result from weak core muscles, so by strengthening the core your spine will be more stable and you'll have less risk of herniation or a bulging disc. Our lower back muscles are often weak and are the first thing to go when we bend forward or twist. A strong core and core muscles can help reduce and prevent lower back pain.

Here is a link to an article you might find helpful: http://www.completefitness.com.au/articles/coreflex/coremuscles.php

deanna7272
11-15-08, 4:51 pm
I know myself that I get "lazy" at times with my core training... Of all people, after having 2 back surgeries, I KNOW that I need to strengthen my core, that's the main reason behind my injuries... I have incorporated some swiss ball exercises at home, but seem to "forget" about doing them at the gym.

Thanks CDPT for bringing this point to focus...

Iceiktitan
11-15-08, 5:43 pm
Good post brother. I have personally had a past back injury that was due to (poor hamstring development, bad form, and a weak core.) Good to bring such an important topic into focus.

Littlefry
11-15-08, 6:37 pm
I hate hearing people say Im working my abs, well get your s**t straight an hit that core, it will improve your bench, squat, deadlift, row not to mention the numerous other lifts that enage your core.

Carpe Diem P.T
11-15-08, 8:36 pm
Good post brother. I have personally had a past back injury that was due to (poor hamstring development, bad form, and a weak core.) Good to bring such an important topic into focus.

hey iceiktitan. i had to take 6 months off too from fucking up my QL. (quadratus lumborum) same reason, the load was going straight to my back due to poor hammies and not activating the core during most exercises.

shizz702
11-15-08, 8:38 pm
One thing I do that hits the core real good is strict standing presses. You have to really brace your abs when doing them and it really strengthens you core. You guys should give them a try.

Fury317
11-15-08, 10:18 pm
I work at a gym that focuses on functional training, basically tons of core training. Its crucial when it comes to other lifts such as squat and deadlift. My boss actually coached Phil Phister to the world strongest man in 06 when he won it. Phil used functional training adn did the same workouts a 60 year old lady did, but obviously with more weight.

Fury317
11-15-08, 10:20 pm
One thing I want to add also is TRY DITCHING YOUR BELT!!!!

I use it because its a mental thing, but Im trying to break the habit. Squating with no belt will increase core strength and stability

SQUAT or DIE!
11-15-08, 10:27 pm
personally as a big guy im not a fan of typical ab training, but when your lifting big waeights its SOOOOOO important like carpe said, i do lots of standing ab work, and do lots of squats DL with no belt liek fury said..

redskin 344
11-15-08, 10:43 pm
I know a strong midsection prevents back injury but does that also mean that it halps to prevent jeapordy to the discs along the spinal collumn?

'popping' a disc is something im starting to worry about when deadlifting too heavy..

simpleguy
11-16-08, 6:16 am
One thing I want to add also is TRY DITCHING YOUR BELT!!!!

I use it because its a mental thing, but Im trying to break the habit. Squating with no belt will increase core strength and stability

I agree to a certain extent... but I think it's crucial to wear a belt when going really heavy (say maxing out) on squats and deads... most powerlifters use one when maxing out or at a meet, even though they want strong cores...

for me, since I started using a belt on the heaviest lifts, my lower back has thanked me a ton

OverDose
11-16-08, 11:01 pm
deadlifts and squats hit your core pretty hard, as long as you are doing those with good form, you should be fine....it also couldn't hurt to throw in some weighted sit ups, leg raises, side ab bends, stiff legged deadlifts, and hyper extentions, i also want to add to ditch your belt, you won't be able to move as much weight without it, but it will strengthen your core, while wearing the belt may make your body dependent on it and actually weaken your core muscles....also stretching is very important to a strong core :D

redskin 344
11-17-08, 5:59 pm
deadlifts and squats hit your core pretty hard, as long as you are doing those with good form, you should be fine....it also couldn't hurt to throw in some weighted sit ups, leg raises, side ab bends, stiff legged deadlifts, and hyper extentions, i also want to add to ditch your belt, you won't be able to move as much weight without it, but it will strengthen your core, while wearing the belt may make your body dependent on it and actually weaken your core muscles....also stretching is very important to a strong core :D

especcially with the deadlift, I always feel a hard tight and strong midsection after the workout.

Also, I dont believe in doing ab exercises such as weighted crunches or hanging leg raises because I dont want bigger abs. I believe huge exercise that require strong breathing like the DL and squat really get the abs hard and strong. After that u just gotta get cut to show what u got!

Cstlfx
11-17-08, 7:13 pm
One thing I have to say, I do core work, but because I increase weight in very small increments (specifically for ab work) I dont write it in my journey because I know how much I've done.

Some great exercises: land mines with the grappler, good mornings, weighted crunches.

Plus, only use belt on heavy sets and make sure to squeeze. This alone has helped build my core.

rev8ball
11-17-08, 7:31 pm
Great post.

For my athletes' trunk work, we do some flexion-extension exercises (rectus abdominus), but most of it focuses on the transversus abdominis (funtioning as a natural "belt), the multifidus muscles (rotational stability), internal/external obliques, the quadratus lumborum (for lateral flexion), spinal erectors, and even the gluteal, hamstring, and hip rotator groups.

So, when you train the trunk, it's more than just the abs. Don't forget about everything else....