PDA

View Full Version : BB Suitcase style One Arm Deadlift

redskin 344
11-16-08, 9:06 pm
Anyone here try this besides me? Im into doing rare exercises that the general audience is too stupid to know of lol.
I used to do them a year ago and I read that there wont be a muscle that wont be sore the corresponding day.. what I read was right. I was sore all over. For some reason I think I got a better workout from doing this then doing regular conventional DLs.

Im thinking about replacing it with the deadlift and doing the BB suitcase style deadlift and BB squat as my 2 main exercises, along with OH presses, weighted pullups and bench presses as my secondary. What do u think? If you have never heard or read about this exercise and have the cognitive anchor of the deadlift remaining the way it is and should never be changed, read some articles on google or something and tell me what you think. I think its great, I just wanna know if its worth sticking with for a very long time.

And I will do heavy conventinal DLs every once in a while for my test of strength.

Cstlfx
11-16-08, 9:09 pm
Here's a link that someone posted on the forum a while ago:

http://weightlifting.moonfruit.com/#

A bunch of classic strongman/powerlifting lifts that used to be performed a competitions. If you like unusual lifts, this is right up your alley.

redskin 344
11-16-08, 9:28 pm
great site man, a ton of crazy shit. But it doesnt really have the suitcase style deadlift like this one (http://www.fitstep.com/Misc/Newsletter-archives/issue45-deadlifts.htm). Its basically like doing a one handed trap bar DL with a whole barbell. Its supposed to work your core like no other.

Littlefry
11-16-08, 10:05 pm
Looks like a vary intresting lift. Would be a unique addition to a strenght training program.

redskin 344
11-17-08, 7:19 pm
I wanna replace the deadlift with the one arm suitcase style deadlift and alongside I will do the BB squat. These will be my 2 biggest exercises. I did the suitcase style deadlift a while back and found that my whole body was sore the next day meaning the exercise is very effective.

Im hoping to do this on a long term basis and do conventional deadlifts every once in a while to trully test my total body strength.

Latimer316
11-18-08, 6:30 pm
Thanks for the post man, I'm gonna give those a shot and I'll let you know how I feel the next day. I'm looking for something to hit my abs real good

redskin 344
11-18-08, 7:20 pm
Thanks for the post man, I'm gonna give those a shot and I'll let you know how I feel the next day. I'm looking for something to hit my abs real good

yea... im gonna hide somewhere

because ur gonna wanna beat my ass from the pain you'll be feeling lol

LiftBig315
11-18-08, 7:45 pm
holy shit

http://weightlifting.moonfruit.com/#/harnesslift/4511849617

redskin 344
11-18-08, 7:58 pm
holy shit

http://weightlifting.moonfruit.com/#/harnesslift/4511849617

...?....!.!....!...

!

holy....

redskin 344
11-19-08, 12:51 pm
o just posted this comment right here so my thread wouldnt disappear from the front page of the training section

and so latimer could tell me if I should kill myself or not for making him do the suitcase deadlift

Latimer316
11-19-08, 1:56 pm
Haha, just got back from trying em' dude and they are the real deal. My deadlift is pretty strong and even at 135 for that lift was pretty tough. Once my balance gets better it should be much easier for me. That works the obliques really well b/c they stay tight the whole time. Ha, your safe man, b/c thats something I'm gonna continue to do. Actually had a trainer come up to me and ask what I was working and realized it was a hell of a workout

Latimer316
11-19-08, 2:01 pm
Also, just wanted to verify that your lifting the entire bar off the ground correct?

redskin 344
11-19-08, 2:58 pm
Also, just wanted to verify that your lifting the entire bar off the ground correct?

yea
u lift the entire bar off the floor. Its like doing a one handed trap bar deadlift with a barbell and have to keep your torso and hand balanced and straight so nothing goes awry.

and i was saying that you would wanna kill me because you will be sore as hell the next few days lol.

I did them a while back and my entire body from head to toe was sore, especcially my back, glutes and thighs and for some reason my shoulders were sore as hell too.

shizz702
11-19-08, 4:25 pm
I mess around with one arm deadlifts once in a while but have never done them seriously in a training cycle, yet.

71bbo455
11-19-08, 10:43 pm
It looks like a one arm version of the strongman firemans carry. Has anyone ever tried doing the one arm dl with both arms at the same time?

redskin 344
11-21-08, 4:15 pm
It looks like a one arm version of the strongman firemans carry. Has anyone ever tried doing the one arm dl with both arms at the same time?

Ive seen a video of a guy doing it on youtube. 275 lbs per hand..damn

the one arm suitcase style deadlift is a great exercise and one of the best in my opinion. I would even consider it to be greater than the deadlift because it carries all the benefits of a standard deadlift plus a greater range of motion for more stress on the legs and glutes and works the hard to get muscles in the deep back. And obviously the obliques and core gets a better work out..

ofcourse you cant go as heavy as theregular deadlift because u use one hand but still it is amazing.

redskin 344
11-21-08, 4:22 pm
I tried doing it with 135 lbs in my school weightroom. Its actually not that hard. The only problem I had was trying to keep the barbell straight and not tilting which annoys the shit out of me. Im considering maybe doing it with dumbells but i read that the benefits wont be the same and the barbell provides a crushing grip.

mikejones1
11-21-08, 7:19 pm
talk about injuries...

redskin 344
11-21-08, 8:23 pm
talk about injuries...

why would u say that

Latimer316
11-22-08, 11:20 am
Yea i cant imagine it being the same benefits doing it with a DB. Half the challenge is keep the weight centered to work on your grip

redskin 344
11-22-08, 12:32 pm
I want a strong grip but I care more about doing a total body exercise that works all the big muscles instead of just mostly the grip strength. Would it be okay if I did it with a db, would I get the same benefits for the rest of my body.

mikejones1
11-22-08, 2:37 pm
why would u say that

im not really saying any of the exercises on that website are bad, it just seems to me that a lot of them are unsafe.

redskin 344
11-22-08, 10:07 pm
im not really saying any of the exercises on that website are bad, it just seems to me that a lot of them are unsafe.

no dude its not that wesbite with all those crazy ass strong man lifts. I have a post showing the one arm suitcase style deadlift.

If ur saying doing a deadlift one handed with the bar infront of u is bad for the back, i would agree, but the suitcase style deadlift is different and actually requires alot of core stability.