11-17-08, 1:09 am
i cannot seem to get my traps to grow, this is the past workouts ive tried
135x20 225x12 225x10 135xburnout with a barbell
65x8 70x8 75x8 back to back for 2 sets
now im doing 135x20 for 3 sets and i cannot get them to grow

what can i do?

Supe527
11-17-08, 1:20 am
I can't say I've had the same problem, but this is what I did to get my traps to grow.

225x10 narrow grip / 225x10 normal grip / 225x10 snatch grip (if this weight is too light then add weight)

Do three sets One grip after the other. Narrow->Normal->Snatch is 1 set. After 2 weeks of 10 reps add 5 reps to each grip. Once you have done 2 weeks of 15 reps then you can add weight. I started out at 315 and now I'm at 585.

Let me know how this works for you.

prowrestler
11-17-08, 1:27 am

what can i do?

eat more

train your standing pressing very hard. they will pop out like mother fuckers.

if you cant grow traps, your not destined to be a freak, traps are a very easy and fast responsive muscle group. with the right diet/program youll see results very fast.

try explosive tempos.

sanga
11-17-08, 4:37 am

what can i do?

I take it this these are shrugs?

Short answer, deadlifts, lots and lots as heavy as you can for reps over time.

Lawnmower Man
11-17-08, 8:05 am
do dumbell shrugs, i know everyone is different but my traps get a better workout doing dumbell shrugs than doing barbell shrugs

AFTazz06
11-17-08, 8:35 am
maybe your problem isnt the weight your using, perhaps your not stretching the traps all the way down during the movement. I've seen alot of guys use heavy weights and not stretch the traps on the way down, that does nothing for traps. make sure you stretch them as far down as possible, then squeeze them on the way up like your trying to touch your ears with them. Good thing is, with traps its a small movement so the weight will climb really fast. I'd go with dumb bell shrugs because you can give your traps more stretch and movement than using a bar which keeps you more consticted movement. STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH!

Aggression
11-17-08, 11:05 am

what can i do?

I did a workout for my traps that blew them up. After about 1.5 months, people started taking notice of them first and foremast. Try this:

Dumbbell Shrugs: 4 x 8-12
Upright Rows: 4 x 8-12
Smith machine behind the back shrugs: 4 x 8-12

My traps exploded when I did this.

musclealchemist
11-17-08, 11:26 am
I dont mean to take over the theard, but what would you guys say would help uneven traps? My right is smaller than my left, and i have conflicting things. Would working out the smaller one a little harder help it catch up?

Aggression
11-17-08, 12:12 pm
I dont mean to take over the theard, but what would you guys say would help uneven traps? My right is smaller than my left, and i have conflicting things. Would working out the smaller one a little harder help it catch up?

I'd say just hit them both with barbell/db shrugs, and then throw in some one handed shrugs at the end with your 'weaker' side. I personally wouldn't worry about it too much tho, unless your competing. I can't imagine someone's trap being noticeably bigger than the other

smith06
11-17-08, 1:26 pm
I had trouble getting mine to grow also. Then a buddy suggested doing behind the back shrugs and seated DB shrugs. After a couple weeks you could notice a considerable difference. Hope this helps ya bro.

Mr. Dead
11-17-08, 1:29 pm
I do shrugs with the standing calf machine... It allows me to concentrate more on the traps, and is not grip dependent...

Big Wides
11-17-08, 1:37 pm
For trap help I would suggest the following done at maximal weight:

Deadlifts (if you use straps, ditch them)
Cleans
Snatch
Seated Military Presses
Shrugs
DB Shrugs
Farmer's Walks
Seated DB Cleans
Upright Rows
Bent Over Rows

Keep the weight heavy, give it time, eat properly and they will grow

BryanSmash!
11-17-08, 1:40 pm
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere so I'll say this: If your gym is equipped with a Gerard trap bar use it instead of a barbell for your shrugs. The neutral position is more conductive for trap growth, and also you can really overload your traps with the extra weight on the bar.

Aggression
11-17-08, 2:18 pm
I've even done shrugs with cables. Place the cables at the bottom setting, hold onto the attachments with both hands, and just shrug. Might seem weird/awkward, but they feel pretty good.

Cstlfx
11-17-08, 7:17 pm
Just my two cents, but something I've found helpful. Do heavy back days (indirect trap work) then on a different day, say Shoulder do shrugs or other types of direct trap work.

IronAnejo
11-17-08, 9:12 pm
Just my two cents, but something I've found helpful. Do heavy back days (indirect trap work) then on a different day, say Shoulder do shrugs or other types of direct trap work.

That's what I've done. I like to finish chest day out with some shrugs. The ol' traps have responded pretty well to that.

smith06
11-17-08, 10:42 pm
That's what I've done. I like to finish chest day out with some shrugs. The ol' traps have responded pretty well to that.

Ive found that my traps (much like my calves) heal pretty quickly so I can hit them every other day, if not everyday.

Aggression
11-18-08, 10:08 am
Ive found that my traps (much like my calves) heal pretty quickly so I can hit them every other day, if not everyday.

I know a dude who goes to my gym. Brother does 5+ plates per side on a smith for shrugs. Dude is an absolute monster, and he trains traps pretty much every time I see him in the gym. His traps are huge, but then again, this guy is an outright monster. The type of dude you do not want to meet in a dark alley (i.e., covered in tattoos, pointed goatee, etc). Dude also pinwheel curls the 100lb dumbbells for reps.

Big3
11-18-08, 8:48 pm
rack pulls, and pull heavy.

ROC1291
11-18-08, 8:49 pm
Fuck shrugs. Deadlifts, Rack Pulls, T-bar Rows, yates rows, and bent over rows will make your traps thick as hell.

Here I Stand
11-18-08, 9:34 pm
this is what i do for traps on same day as shoulders.

Shrugs: (Tri sets)

Front barbell shrugs: 220lbs 3/10 (immediately turn around)
Rear barbell shrugs: 220lbs 3/10 (immediately sit on bech)
seated dbell shrugs: 75lbs to fail 3 sets

seems to be ok for me.