PDA

View Full Version : Working out with a cold

pzn1216
11-18-08, 2:41 pm
I don't know why, but every time I start coming down with a cold, my lifts improve dramatically. The past week, I set PR's for overhead press and squats, and I've just been on fire in the gym, despite feeling like crap outside of the gym. I'm not even going to go into how good the pumps are feeling right now.

I'd like to know if anyone else ever improves when they're under the weather. Common sense would say to take time off, but I stopped listening to that voice a long time ago, it held me back too much.

smith06
11-18-08, 3:05 pm
I do some of my best work in the gym when life is rough. Whether it being sick or just plain shit bothering me. But then again I worry myself sometimes...lol

InkdMuscle
11-18-08, 3:06 pm
I don't know why, but every time I start coming down with a cold, my lifts improve dramatically. The past week, I set PR's for overhead press and squats, and I've just been on fire in the gym, despite feeling like crap outside of the gym. I'm not even going to go into how good the pumps are feeling right now.

I'd like to know if anyone else ever improves when they're under the weather. Common sense would say to take time off, but I stopped listening to that voice a long time ago, it held me back too much.

to each is his own brotha. good for you that u can work through sickenss. I have tried before and i cant. I get winded easily when im sick. I find that rest helps me break my PR's. keep up the good work.

Ricky P
11-18-08, 3:19 pm

I've gone both ways on this one.. When doing cardio, it is the worst thing in the world to have a cold. Tough to breathe, start panting.... It's tough.. When lifting, it may be good for you because when you get home, you do nothing but rest. That may be why you're getting good pumps and better lifts in, because you're resting more than normal. That's what did it for me. Either way, good stuff - the difference between being just a regular guy and an ANIMAL is getting to the gym even when you don't want to. That's when you make your gains!

k1usa
11-18-08, 3:21 pm
yo train with pain...you train with snot hanging off your face....with blood coming from recent cuts...with tendons ready to brake....you just fucking train...with a broken heart...with shitty vision...you just train bro....some of this battle is with our inner demon....its the toughest encounter we have.....

wedge
11-19-08, 10:53 am
It all has to do with you and how you feel. I've been working out this week with a cold, because I felt it was the right thing to do. Actually started to feel better and set a new bench PR yesterday.
However, today I feel like crap and actually may leave work early to go home and rest. So no shoulders for me today.
You understand your body the best. It's a personal decision to train sick or not.

waugie14
11-19-08, 11:04 am
I just did legs yesterday with a head cold and feel like some beat the hell out of me today lol....if you dont have a fever i say go for it or just rest up get your meals in and be ready to go another day

Machine
11-19-08, 6:56 pm
Working out with a cold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I don't know why, but every time I start coming down with a cold, my lifts improve dramatically. The past week, I set PR's for overhead press and squats, and I've just been on fire in the gym, despite feeling like crap outside of the gym. I'm not even going to go into how good the pumps are feeling right now.

I'd like to know if anyone else ever improves when they're under the weather. Common sense would say to take time off, but I stopped listening to that voice a long time ago, it held me back too much."

You would be amazed at how well the human body adapts to and compensates for disturbances aimed at physical health. I have seen some truly amazing things in my time on earth...I have watched my body come back from one devastating injury after another. I think state of mind, in a lot of ways, is somewhat more critical to human physical performance than some would like to believe. Perhaps this is why strength of mind is of particular importance in the iron game. Mike Tyson said it best " everyone has a plan...until they get hit." Its about getting hit and maintaining the requisite intensity and mental drive to grind it out...to get your job done...thats what makes a warrior. - MACHINE

BricksAndStones
11-22-08, 1:49 am
I've been in this situation as well. I tend to get sick easily though, so having a normal cold is nothing new to me. Plus I've wrestled with colds and the sort so I'm used to putting the body under pressure when it's not at it's best.
However, that being said it does depend on how I feel, I've had times where I can't stand up more than 15 seconds before getting dizzy. If that's the case I don't think you can expect me in a weight room anytime soon. But if it's just the sniffles, nothing helps me feel better and rest easier then lifting some iron and sweating.

cyrin203
12-02-08, 9:32 pm
Some people just weaken when they have colds although there are others like you who get stronger.