PDA

View Full Version : DB Flys????

Matoltsy85
11-18-08, 5:09 pm
Doing db flys, is that what gives you that filled in rounded off look on the outer chest??

Beast1
11-18-08, 5:24 pm
Doing db flys, is that what gives you that filled in rounded off look on the outer chest??

not really, db flyes work more of the inner area of the chest. to get more outer chest you want to have your grip really wide on some of your movements.

prowrestler
11-18-08, 5:58 pm
just focus on over all mass and youll fill out nicley

jeff00z28
11-19-08, 1:32 am
i didnt think there rly was an 'outer chest'

simpleguy
11-19-08, 7:36 am
i didnt think there rly was an 'outer chest'

there's not :p

Aggression
11-19-08, 9:39 am
just focus on over all mass and youll fill out nicley

Right

Just focus on heavy compound movements to build up overall mass first

getapump
11-19-08, 7:59 pm
i dont know about the "outer" chest or "inner" or "upper" or "isolating" different parts. i personally think its a bunch of shit. if youre taking your set to complete failure, or even beyond(forced reps- i love em) for a particular muscle group, in this case chest,i feel like every muscle fiber in that motherfucker is going to come into play. the recruitment should be ridiculous, and the entire chest should get bombed and be completely engorged with blood. that said i love dumbell flyes, and due to the way it can stretch the chest i feel it can be a very good warmup excersise, as well as a good way to finish off ur session at the gym with a mind blowing pump. fkex ur pecs hard at the top of each rep and use an extremely slow negative. ya ya get ur presses in before or after(i would never do these between presses) but i seriously would never go more than a week or two excluding flyes. to each his own, just my 2 cents

Matoltsy85
11-20-08, 1:43 am
i dont know about the "outer" chest or "inner" or "upper" or "isolating" different parts. i personally think its a bunch of shit. if youre taking your set to complete failure, or even beyond(forced reps- i love em) for a particular muscle group, in this case chest,i feel like every muscle fiber in that motherfucker is going to come into play. the recruitment should be ridiculous, and the entire chest should get bombed and be completely engorged with blood. that said i love dumbell flyes, and due to the way it can stretch the chest i feel it can be a very good warmup excersise, as well as a good way to finish off ur session at the gym with a mind blowing pump. fkex ur pecs hard at the top of each rep and use an extremely slow negative. ya ya get ur presses in before or after(i would never do these between presses) but i seriously would never go more than a week or two excluding flyes. to each his own, just my 2 cents

Okay. I heard there is no isolating inner or outer chest as well...Thanks for your reply...

But WHAT DO FLYS DO??

ionicrod
11-20-08, 1:52 am
Okay. I heard there is no isolating inner or outer chest as well...Thanks for your reply...

But WHAT DO FLYS DO??

flys are good for two things:

pre exhausting your chest, when placed at the beginning of a work out.

to accentuate the pump, and stretch the muscle/ fascia when placed at the end of a work out.

when done correctly you should be able to completely isolate your pectoral muscles, which is why they are beneficial for pre-exhausting or stretching.

Ricky P
11-20-08, 1:58 am
flys are good for two things:

pre exhausting your chest, when placed at the beginning of a work out.

to accentuate the pump, and stretch the muscle/ fascia when placed at the end of a work out.

when done correctly you should be able to completely isolate your pectoral muscles, which is why they are beneficial for pre-exhausting or stretching.

I agree.. I love to do them at the end of my workouts, usually after bench and incline. It gives a great stretch when done slow and controlled. You'll feel a nice burn throughout both pectorals along with a great stretch as well, perfect to finish off the chest workout.

Gambit
11-20-08, 10:52 am

If you ever watch any videos by Arnold or even look in his encyclopedia (a good resource to shake things up,) his philosophy was that dumbbell flyes in which you don't ever let the dumbbells get inside of your shoulders help to round off the outer portion of the chest and emphasize the stretch. You can see him doing these 3/4 flyes in Pumping Iron

I'm personally an avid fan on the dip. Leaning forward while doing these during the end of my chest workout has really helped me stretch the muscle fibers beyond what I though I had in me.

Aggression
11-20-08, 10:58 am
I'm personally an avid fan on the dip. Leaning forward while doing these during the end of my chest workout has really helped me stretch the muscle fibers beyond what I though I had in me.

Dips are a great way to thicken up the chest. I'm adding them into my weekly routine for chest. It's going to be a staple exercise.