PDA

View Full Version : the pump...... and stopping

KENBO213
11-18-08, 6:44 pm
Hey everybody, ive been looking for a thread but cant seem to find it, covering when exactly should you stop when you feel a pump.... my wieght lifting teacher has told me to keep pushing through the reps after i get my pump, for example, last friday, i started off with preacher curls, followed by hammer, the alternating DB's, after these i had an amazing pump,but i still had it in me to keep going, sooo my question is this..... when should you stop?

simpleguy
11-19-08, 7:24 am
Hey everybody, ive been looking for a thread but cant seem to find it, covering when exactly should you stop when you feel a pump.... my wieght lifting teacher has told me to keep pushing through the reps after i get my pump, for example, last friday, i started off with preacher curls, followed by hammer, the alternating DB's, after these i had an amazing pump,but i still had it in me to keep going, sooo my question is this..... when should you stop?

yeah the idea is get a pump and go home, but I get somewhat pumped even after my first 3 sets... so work until you feel the pump is at its best and then call it a day... say you've just done your 8th set for bis and you're pumped as hell... now you can do a preacher curl, or db isolation curl for 1-2 sets and that's it... a big mistake would be to do another 5 sets... if the pump starts to fade away, you probably should've stopped, ya know... just my 2 cents of course

Aggression
11-19-08, 9:41 am
yeah the idea is get a pump and go home, but I get somewhat pumped even after my first 3 sets... so work until you feel the pump is at its best and then call it a day... say you've just done your 8th set for bis and you're pumped as hell... now you can do a preacher curl, or db isolation curl for 1-2 sets and that's it... a big mistake would be to do another 5 sets... if the pump starts to fade away, you probably should've stopped, ya know... just my 2 cents of course

Makes sense. It's usually what I try to do, but sometimes I end up staying longer. The law of diminishing returns gentleman ....

KENBO213
11-19-08, 5:16 pm

yeah, big mistake on my part, becuase thats exactly what i did, after my alternating DB's, i went straight into incline alternating DB's, and it just felt like i was before the big pump after 2 sets,soo yeah,thanks for the reply, appreciate it ^,^

prowrestler
11-19-08, 5:29 pm
hell, i get pumped after 1 set of a bicep exercise

thank god i powerlift and dont really do many sets over 3 reps on my main lifts.

my accesory work, i get sick pumps

KENBO213
11-19-08, 8:46 pm
so today, i did tricep pull downs, skull crushers,kickbacks, and finally dips, and i didnt feel a pump at all...sore,of course, but no pump ,ive read from an article that a muscle pump indicates that your body is an a anabolic state, that if you dont get a pump on that working out session...you wont build no muscle at all...meaning wasted time...is this true??

ionicrod
11-20-08, 2:05 am
so today, i did tricep pull downs, skull crushers,kickbacks, and finally dips, and i didnt feel a pump at all...sore,of course, but no pump ,ive read from an article that a muscle pump indicates that your body is an a anabolic state, that if you dont get a pump on that working out session...you wont build no muscle at all...meaning wasted time...is this true??

getting a pump has a lot of variables. how much experience do you have in the gym. are you overtrained. how is your diet. how much sleep you had. etc.

it took me two years of dedication in the gym to get to where i could get a pump in every muscle group i worked out. it takes a lot of mind muscle connection, and just time.

these days, when I do not get a pump, there aare a couple of reasons why. Its usally because i did not get adequate rest the night before, my diet was not spot on or maybe I am overtraining a little. Then, sometimes, you have off days, and you just do not get one.

To answer your question on if pumps are vital to growing. In my experience the answer is yes and no. Like I said before, it took me two years to get enough mind muscle connection to get a pump in all my muscle groups. I found it easy to get a pump in my arms, but hard to establish one in my chest and back. Even though I did not get a good pump for about two years (at least a pump compared to what i get now) I still grew stronger and bigger. The longer you have been training, and the more experience you have, the more crucial the pump is for growth.

simpleguy
11-20-08, 8:06 am
thank god i powerlift and dont really do many sets over 3 reps on my main lifts.

umm, yeah I think of 6 reps sets as cardio... LOL

just kidding

KENBO213
11-20-08, 8:13 pm
getting a pump has a lot of variables. how much experience do you have in the gym. are you overtrained. how is your diet. how much sleep you had. etc.

it took me two years of dedication in the gym to get to where i could get a pump in every muscle group i worked out. it takes a lot of mind muscle connection, and just time.

these days, when I do not get a pump, there aare a couple of reasons why. Its usally because i did not get adequate rest the night before, my diet was not spot on or maybe I am overtraining a little. Then, sometimes, you have off days, and you just do not get one.

To answer your question on if pumps are vital to growing. In my experience the answer is yes and no. Like I said before, it took me two years to get enough mind muscle connection to get a pump in all my muscle groups. I found it easy to get a pump in my arms, but hard to establish one in my chest and back. Even though I did not get a good pump for about two years (at least a pump compared to what i get now) I still grew stronger and bigger. The longer you have been training, and the more experience you have, the more crucial the pump is for growth.

appreciate the reply, I have been "training" seriously for about a year, and have gained improvements on many aspects of my body, as for the connection with my mind and body/muscles, it is not there, sure, i concentrate on my workout for a good 30 mins, but i kinda loose focus...not neccesarily paying attention to other people, but for the work out, i tend to think about how this excersize will make me grow... but as you said, its time and expierence that determines the outcome of the work-out/pump,and hopefully i get to achieve that status.

prowrestler
11-21-08, 2:32 am
umm, yeah I think of 6 reps sets as cardio... LOL

just kidding

dude, walkin to the fuckin water fountain is cardio

BricksAndStones
11-21-08, 8:17 pm
Okay, so here's my question. There's training for the pump, and then there's training to failure. Are both methods acceptable?