PDA

View Full Version : A question about cardio and fat burning.

Sho
11-18-08, 9:03 pm
Does Cardio, ie Running biking etc. burn only subcutaneous fats alone until there's no more and then muscle tissue, or both at the same time?

smith06
11-20-08, 2:18 pm
Both. I've heard its usually a ratio around 4:1 lbs. when cardio is done right. From most of what I've read its very difficult to lose fat without losing muscle.

simpleguy
11-20-08, 2:52 pm
Both. I've heard its usually a ratio around 4:1 lbs. when cardio is done right. From most of what I've read its very difficult to lose fat without losing muscle.

right? depends on what you see as 'right'

it's obvious that the higher intensity the more muscle it will burn... now is that a bad thing? not necessarily... I mean we burn muscle during our workouts right? but what we do is try to take advantage of that and use supps with carbs, aminos and the like to kick-start anabolism right from the workout

thatdude111
11-20-08, 3:18 pm
Sometimes I do cardio for an hour on 4mpg on an 6.5% incline after I lift do you think this is too much cardio and will burn muscle, then other days I'll do HIIT for 26 min but i always eat before and after.
As long as you eat after you workout wouldn't that be enough to prevent muscle loss

smith06
11-20-08, 4:16 pm
right? depends on what you see as 'right'

I was meaning that even when trying not to lose muscle you're still going to lose it at a lesser rate. being the "right" way to lose fat without muscle.

sanga
11-20-08, 4:34 pm
Low intensity cardio such as walking at normal walking pace on a treadmill for 30-45 minutes works wonders.

Sho
11-20-08, 5:39 pm
Will walking at a normal pace for that long really burn the fat, it just doesn't feel like cardio to me. And so, if it does.. will running for half the time have the same effect?

Sho
11-20-08, 5:48 pm
Also... will low intensity cardio Burn away gut fat, or just keep an already low fat guy low in fat? Is a higher intensity cardio routine needed to burn away that beer belly?

thatdude111
11-20-08, 7:42 pm
Will walking at a normal pace for that long really burn the fat, it just doesn't feel like cardio to me. And so, if it does.. will running for half the time have the same effect?

You'll definetly burn fat walking for a long time, but you want to push yourself a little walk fast or walk on a bit of an incline. I usually walk on the treadmill at 4mph on a 4-5% incline for 40minutes and have lost weight.

Also... will low intensity cardio Burn away gut fat, or just keep an already low fat guy low in fat? Is a higher intensity cardio routine needed to burn away that beer belly?

I think low intensity cardio will burn fat just as good as high intensity cardio. I think you should switch between High intensity and lower intensity so your body doesn't adapt to any one routine. I lost a lot a weight recently using both low and high intensity.

Ricky P
11-20-08, 7:45 pm
I think the answer just lies in what my man just said. Keep the body guessing. That's the biggest tool you can have at your disposal throughout your workouts. If your body can't adapt, you will continue to see results. Just mix it up.

Sho
11-20-08, 9:45 pm
Righton.

thatdude111
11-21-08, 12:30 am
My main goal was to lose the weight and I've lost around 50 pounds in the past year and I always kept switching up between low and high intensity cardio to prevent hitting plateaus.

Desert Muscle
11-21-08, 2:51 am
I normally follow my heartbeat guide for fatburning (usually posted on the treadmill - fat burning, cardio, etc;). Think for me, at age 24, 127 is around the range for fat burn for my age range. Usually keep it around that, 2x a week for a half hour. Havent noticed really any muscle loss, etc; Think you'd be safe following a similar routine, just my 2 cents.