PDA

View Full Version : When to take "Rests"?

emuseme
11-18-08, 9:19 pm
I only rest on sundays, and throughout the week I'm at the gym for a good 2 hours. I don't have a routine or schedule for body parts, I just do whatever I feel I need improvements on (chest, back, arms, legs, etc..). I've been doing this for the past year and a half and I noticed I became pretty swoll, but I read here that rests/recovery can make you "explode" quicker. How do i find out when and how many rest days I need for the best results?

Just a quick note, Im bulking, so I'm not sure how that'll change the rest days...

shizz702
11-18-08, 9:34 pm
you need some kind of set routine, if you just go a whim you can lose focus and make minimal progress. I'm glad to hear you have made some gains but I'm willing to bet you'd make even better gains with some kind of set routine with some specific goals to work towards.

Also rest is very important, you don't grow in the gym, you grow outside of it while the muscles are recovering from training. You should take 2 days off minimum, and make sure to get at least 48 hrs rest before training the same muscle group again.

sanga
11-19-08, 3:35 am
I have to have a set routine and a goal to aim for but some people like to just go by what they feel, if its working for you then stick with it IMO.

Aggression
11-19-08, 9:43 am
I only rest on sundays, and throughout the week I'm at the gym for a good 2 hours. I don't have a routine or schedule for body parts, I just do whatever I feel I need improvements on (chest, back, arms, legs, etc..). I've been doing this for the past year and a half and I noticed I became pretty swoll, but I read here that rests/recovery can make you "explode" quicker. How do i find out when and how many rest days I need for the best results?

To each is own. I find I get better results with less days in the gym per week. If you're making progress, then keep at it. When progress stagnates, try something else.

johnny7
11-19-08, 10:10 am
It's about you my man. What works works. But dont be afraid to change things up. There is always room to improve even if you are Enforcer...:)

On Letting Go
11-19-08, 10:56 am
Just listen to your body. If you start feeling worn down or progress starts slowing, take a break from lifting. Eat well and let your body fully recover, then come back to the gym ready to smash some weight, maybe a new routine or something to shock your body and spark some growth.

eric downey
11-19-08, 5:47 pm
I train mon, tues, wed and sat. and my recovery is just fine.

Elite
11-19-08, 6:02 pm
Depends what you want out of it. Post up what you wish to achieve and your split from the whole week. Rest days are critical. With no rest days between sessions, then your gonna be leaving yourself short and your muscle/cns endurance will be in no state to hit it hard and heavy 6 days in a row, apart from the fact you need rest to grow optimally. You may feel content now, but i suggest you tinker and make a planned approach to your training if you dont wanna burn out before the flames been properly lit.

emuseme
11-19-08, 9:10 pm
My goal is to bulk now. I started a new schedule today, all I've down today was leg work. I'm taking tomorrow off and sunday off. Friday Im planning to work on chest and arms, saturday on back and traps, then legs the next day and repeat. I'm aiming to do enough of it to last about an hour and a half or 2 hrs. I'm really new to this whole schedule workouts since I've only been doing what I thought I needed to do.

I took a look at animals main page and checked out some of the recommended daily routines, but Im not sure what level to start on or week. Im afraid if I start from the first week I'll lose some of what I already gained.

jeff00z28
11-20-08, 1:22 am
every other week i take a 3 day weekend off. thats just how it works out w/ my schedule and i heal up for monday

emuseme
11-20-08, 5:37 pm
How Does this schedule look?
I got it from the last split routine from animalpak.com but I modified it a bit.

Monday: Back/Biceps/Abs

Back
Front Pulldowns: 4 sets x 8-15 reps
Barbell Rows: 4 sets x 6-12 reps
Dumbbell Rows: 3 sets x 10-12 reps
Dumbbell Pullovers: 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Hyperextensions: 3 sets x 12 reps

Biceps
Preacher Curls: 4 sets x 8-15 reps
Incline DB Curls: 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Cable Curls: 3 sets x 10-15 reps

Abs