PDA

View Full Version : 100 reps workout

hatebreedXXX69
11-19-08, 7:50 am
hey guys what are your thoughts on this??ive started doing it because of work,since i don't have much time free for myself.

It's called the 100 reps workout. What you do is take a big exercise or weight that you can only do between 10 and 20 reps. So start it and do as many reps until you can't do anymore. Then rest for 10 seconds only, and do more. keep repeating that until you have done 100 reps. You can do this routine with chinups or parallel bar dips. You can also do it with dumbells, barbells and even machines. It feels awesome.

what are your thoughts?has any of you done this before??i was sore as hell the next day.

sanga
11-19-08, 9:00 am
Its basicly a 100 rep rest pause set, yeah go for it, cuts down time if you are limited, make sure you increase the weights each time you hit 100 easy, so if you are squatting with 100kg and get 100 reps then next time you need to be using 110kg for the 100.

100 might be a little excessive, I`ve done 100 rep leg press before, its not nice, maybe 50 rep sets, I would also stick to big basic exercises, progressive resistance is very important, watch your appetite go up when you start doing these all out, lol

Make sure you place plenty of rest days between each session, I`d do squats once a week-10 days only same with deads.

simpleguy
11-19-08, 12:36 pm
looks pretty tough to me to get to 100, if on the first set you fail say at 15... and you only rest 10 secs

just me, if I fail at 15 reps, after 10 seconds I will probably barely get 6-7 reps then maybe 2 or 3 and how would I get to 100 that way?

sanga
11-19-08, 4:15 pm
Thats just it mate, you pick a weight and get say 35-40 then pause then do more, pause do more and so on, its a killer on leg presses when you are on rep 75 and have 25 to go but are only getting 2-3 reps out at a time and having to pause, lol

Thetasteofink69
11-19-08, 10:06 pm
I do that for for calves, but I only rest a maximum of 3 seconds.. I've only been doing it for about a month, but I can never walk right for like 3 days, so I consider it good

simpleguy
11-20-08, 8:04 am
Thats just it mate, you pick a weight and get say 35-40 then pause then do more, pause do more and so on, its a killer on leg presses when you are on rep 75 and have 25 to go but are only getting 2-3 reps out at a time and having to pause, lol

yup, I can never forget when I did 100 reps on the leg press, rest-paused, my legs were in massive pain, furthermore I was all drenched in sweat, red-faced, and like everybody in the gym was looking at me... I think I just stayed for 10 min on the bench after just staring at nothing, not thinking, not saying a word LOL

sanga
11-20-08, 8:31 am
Yep thats 100 reps leg presses alright, hahahahahaha

panzerwagen
11-20-08, 8:46 am
Man, this shit sounds wonderful! I have to try it out. Has anyone tried this this approach for a period long enough to have an opinion regarding growth/development?

Panzer

simpleguy
11-20-08, 12:36 pm
Man, this shit sounds wonderful! I have to try it out. Has anyone tried this this approach for a period long enough to have an opinion regarding growth/development?

Panzer

in my view, doing this every workout might lead to overtraining... this is veeeery intense... I'd do it every once in a while, not on a regular basis... just my 2 cents of course

panzerwagen
11-20-08, 3:53 pm
in my view, doing this every workout might lead to overtraining... this is veeeery intense... I'd do it every once in a while, not on a regular basis... just my 2 cents of course

Hmm.. perhaps. But in order to promote growth, the body has to be forced into changing. I personally believe that without the help of certain 'supplements', rapid change is hard to achieve by 1) training each bodypart once a week; 2) spending too much time in the gym, taking too much rest. In this case I see Mr. Haney's suggestion to 'stimulate' rather than 'annihilate' as a possible misconception. The body wants to keep things comfortable, our job is to prevent that 'want'.

I know, I know... the common belief and fear of overtraining is the dominating one, and I respect that to the fullest. But as a natural bodybuilder (and not being a teenager or the early twenties) I think a masochistic approach is the way to do it. I know I'll get bashed for this, but what the Hell. Not everything that is written in magazines is what is true! Think about it...

Preparing to take cover

Thrawn
11-20-08, 4:24 pm
I think this will be VERY hard training and if you are not well conditioned you will get into trouble. It will take a heavy toll, no matter how you cut it. I would not advice this to anyone but great athletes. For every once in a while, i think for the masochistic few (thinks of Panzerwagen) this will be a fun challenge. To do this on a regular basis... i think i would do it with weights on which i could do initially 15-20 reps. So you would end with 5-3 reps. Then i could see this as being something you can do more often. Ending out in slow, agonizing singles will take too big a toll to keep it going on a regular basis.
Just my take on it, got no proof or reference on it, just my gut.

panzerwagen
11-20-08, 4:30 pm
I think this will be VERY hard training and if you are not well conditioned you will get into trouble. It will take a heavy toll, no matter how you cut it. I would not advice this to anyone but great athletes. For every once in a while, i think for the masochistic few (thinks of Panzerwagen) this will be a fun challenge. To do this on a regular basis... i think i would do it with weights on which i could do initially 15-20 reps. So you would end with 5-3 reps. Then i could see this as being something you can do more often. Ending out in slow, agonizing singles will take too big a toll to keep it going on a regular basis.

I am ready to agree with your point of view, at least if one is not in a condition to start off with shit like this. One has to approach it by way of preparing for insane intensity before engaging in it. I still see the benefit of a process in which you learn to do this to the fullest. Total mayhem for the body. But I might be wrong of course. In any case, I still have my opinions on the 'one bodypart/week' routines, and the 100 repper is quite contradictory to this.

simpleguy
11-21-08, 6:34 am
Hmm.. perhaps. But in order to promote growth, the body has to be forced into changing. I personally believe that without the help of certain 'supplements', rapid change is hard to achieve by 1) training each bodypart once a week; 2) spending too much time in the gym, taking too much rest. In this case I see Mr. Haney's suggestion to 'stimulate' rather than 'annihilate' as a possible misconception. The body wants to keep things comfortable, our job is to prevent that 'want'.

I know, I know... the common belief and fear of overtraining is the dominating one, and I respect that to the fullest. But as a natural bodybuilder (and not being a teenager or the early twenties) I think a masochistic approach is the way to do it. I know I'll get bashed for this, but what the Hell. Not everything that is written in magazines is what is true! Think about it...

Preparing to take cover

I won't bash you... everyone has their own opinion... it's funny though mine is totally oposed to yours on one point of view... your opinion is that without certain 'supplements', the body would grow better on more frequent training and more volume... at least that's what I'm getting

the way I see it, supps or even gear for that matter actually help you recover faster from workouts... while most would say that diet is 90% of the equation, I think it would make the world of a difference if one was relying on good food solely and then the same person relying on good food, various supplements and possibly other enhancements
so not to stay off-topic, I actually think that you might grow better on training more frequent and with more volume if you use certain products to recover faster, but the less you use of these, the harder you will recover and idk what amount of muscle, if any, you would add

but if it works for you that's cool

hatebreedXXX69
11-21-08, 7:29 am

Yes that's what i was saying. take an exercise or weight that you can do between 10-20 reps until failure and do the 100 reps rest pause with it. Ive been doing this with wide grip chins, close grip chins and parallel bar dips every lunch time and doing it with pushups on my tea breaks(which are shorter than lunch time break...i work in france for an english company, hence why it's called a tea break...lol)..and i do it with free weights in the weekend. That workout feels damn good(in a painful masochistic way)

Thrawn
11-21-08, 7:33 am
Yes that's what i was saying. take an exercise or weight that you can do between 10-20 reps until failure and do the 100 reps rest pause with it. Ive been doing this with wide grip chins, close grip chins and parallel bar dips every lunch time and doing it with pushups on my tea breaks(which are shorter than lunch time break...i work in france for an english company, hence why it's called a tea break...lol)..and i do it with free weights in the weekend. That workout feels damn good(in a painful masochistic way)

Sounds good, brother! If it works and feels good, then i would trust in it to be good. But i would also keep a good watch on myself. With this VERY rigorous methods you MUST pay attention to every little pain or discomfort. These kind of workouts leave little room for error. But i trust on you to train HARD but SAFE.
Keep us updated on how this works for ya! Hell maybe even i will try a 100 repper myself one day.

panzerwagen
11-21-08, 12:42 pm
I won't bash you... everyone has their own opinion... it's funny though mine is totally oposed to yours on one point of view... your opinion is that without certain 'supplements', the body would grow better on more frequent training and more volume... at least that's what I'm getting

the way I see it, supps or even gear for that matter actually help you recover faster from workouts... while most would say that diet is 90% of the equation, I think it would make the world of a difference if one was relying on good food solely and then the same person relying on good food, various supplements and possibly other enhancements
so not to stay off-topic, I actually think that you might grow better on training more frequent and with more volume if you use certain products to recover faster, but the less you use of these, the harder you will recover and idk what amount of muscle, if any, you would add

but if it works for you that's cool

I suppose that's the opinion of most people. It's the standard way of approaching bodybuilding. There are different theories on everything though...

Hey, did you have your birthday recently? I seem to remember readin 17 yrs on your sig yesterday. It might be my lack of brain function though...

simpleguy
11-21-08, 12:50 pm
Hey, did you have your birthday recently? I seem to remember readin 17 yrs on your sig yesterday. It might be my lack of brain function though...

lol probably not yesterday, I turned 18 about two months ago

JUGGERNAUT
11-21-08, 1:28 pm
If I did a hundred reps of something, I would want an IV drip bottle filled with ANIMAL FLEX stuck in me.

panzerwagen
11-22-08, 5:02 am
lol probably not yesterday, I turned 18 about two months ago

Ah shit... better find a new brain. No point in congratulating you now then. Have to wait until next year.

Thrawn
11-22-08, 1:28 pm
Tried a 100 repper myself on super pullovers today. I started out using a weight i knew i could rep for about 12-15. From there, went to 100 reps. Was a bit strange, cause i am not used to reps over 8. So i stopped when form deteriorated, paused to catch breath, then went again for as much reps i could handle before form wavered off again.
Must say it felt nice, good mental test. Had a MASSIVE pump in my lats. Still not sure if i would do it very often, but i liked them.

newbreed
11-22-08, 2:09 pm
Works well for me. It's a killer especially at the end

WeeMan
11-22-08, 3:10 pm
i done it with deadlifts and i couldnt bend over, sit down, or like....don anythin properly for about 2 weeks! and it deffinatly put my deadlifting strength up!

panzerwagen
11-23-08, 3:51 am
Tried a 100 repper myself on super pullovers today. I started out using a weight i knew i could rep for about 12-15. From there, went to 100 reps. Was a bit strange, cause i am not used to reps over 8. So i stopped when form deteriorated, paused to catch breath, then went again for as much reps i could handle before form wavered off again.
Must say it felt nice, good mental test. Had a MASSIVE pump in my lats. Still not sure if i would do it very often, but i liked them.

Great going! Interesting.

i done it with deadlifts and i couldnt bend over, sit down, or like....don anythin properly for about 2 weeks! and it deffinatly put my deadlifting strength up!

100 reps for deads? That IS crazy shit WeeMan.

Mlowe8
11-23-08, 4:20 pm
ive done it with calves... pretty interesting thought to do it with other stuff... prolly hits some fibers you normally dont hit... hmm... I might try this like once a month to give my muscles a blast of change when im having a hard time growing. right now im growing so fast i dont know what to do, haha, so it might be awhile till i get to try this. peace...

Thrawn
11-23-08, 4:49 pm
Update on my condition after the 100 reps on super pullovers:
My lats feel great and nicely stuff. Got a proper sore back, not VERY sore. But when i flex them i can almost feel the soreness EVERYWHERE in the lats. Top to bottom, skindeep to deep inside the muscles.

panzerwagen
11-24-08, 11:43 am
Update on my condition after the 100 reps on super pullovers:
My lats feel great and nicely stuff. Got a proper sore back, not VERY sore. But when i flex them i can almost feel the soreness EVERYWHERE in the lats. Top to bottom, skindeep to deep inside the muscles.

Good stuff Thrawn! I remembered that I actually do a whole bunch of reps when I do calves, you know the sets grouped in 3 with limited rest?

Hell, and I also tried a 100-repper for squats today.. It was tough. Used pretty light weight (70kg), but since I've been off now for quite some time it really got me! Managed to do the 100 in less than 15 minutes, 7 sets total.

Thrawn
11-24-08, 3:40 pm
Good stuff Thrawn! I remembered that I actually do a whole bunch of reps when I do calves, you know the sets grouped in 3 with limited rest?

Hell, and I also tried a 100-repper for squats today.. It was tough. Used pretty light weight (70kg), but since I've been off now for quite some time it really got me! Managed to do the 100 in less than 15 minutes, 7 sets total.

I can only read that with a grin on my face and a 'hell yeah' on my lips =)))