PDA

View Full Version : Strength Training - a smart question about methods

MojoMike36
11-20-08, 10:37 pm
Sup Fellas,

Yall are a fantastic resource to have and I once again bow to your infinite wisdom.

Whats better for gaining strength?

A Split that uses a rotation of Workouts A & B for Each week.

or

A Split that consistently trains the same pattern each week.

shizz702
11-21-08, 8:44 am
Sup Fellas,

Yall are a fantastic resource to have and I once again bow to your infinite wisdom.

or

Depends on the split. While A/B rotations can be advatageous for push/pulls and upper/lowers to allocate more recovery time inbetween, a split that uses the same pattern will make for more consistency. I'd have to see the splits to say for sure. But if I had to pick I'd go for one that sticks to the same pattern. Both have their ups and downs though.

Aggression
11-21-08, 10:26 am
Sup Fellas,

or

It depends on what works better for your body man. Try each one out for 6-8 weeks and evaluate your results and compare. Both work and both are popular.

ionicrod
11-21-08, 3:35 pm
Sup Fellas,

or

dang man, this is too complicated of a question, with too many variables. more specifics would be needed to really give an accurate answer. In the end its all about your mindset, genetics (unfortunately), diet and just how hard you train and push yourself.

spanish.iron
11-22-08, 3:53 am
Depends on a lot...

I'd pick 2 different exercises for a certain bodypart and have a A workout plan and a B workout plan that you alternate. Just do the one move for that certain bodypart in your one workout and maybe 5 or 6 sets. Start off with a good warmer upper, like a 10 rep set. But then jump straight down to 4 reps on your next set, then 2, 1 and 1. Then the when you do B workouts do the same thing. Keep a log book to keep track of your lifts and make fucking sure that you beat the logbook every time. After all, it's only 5 sets. Either up the weight a bit or get another rep in. I'd suggest working out at the same time every day since your strength will vary between morning and night. Also, be consistent with your sleep and your food. If you haven't eatin enough and haven't kept hydrated it'll have very noticable effects on your strength when you work out and you won't beat your last records. Strength training is really hard on the mind. It's tough picking up a weight that's heavy as fuck and convincing yourself that you can do more than last time...several times a day. One way you can combat this is to meditate the entire workout before hand. Go through it all the night before, then once early the next day, and once more before you hit the gym. See yourself making the lifts. This way, once you actually do your workout it'll be like you're doing it for the 4th time and it should go smooth as silk.

Just a few things I found helpful when I did a strength routine over the summer.