PDA

View Full Version : Critique this please.

JimmyZ
11-21-08, 8:17 pm
Help me out if you would please. Just looking for some constructive criticism. Any pointers. I want to go up from here and feel I need some advise. The second rep sucked ass but it was heavy and I was tired. Thanks in advance.

Oh and sorry its sideways, lol. I wanted my partner to take a vid of my form and well it ended up sideways.

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/jmzkrz92307/?action=view&current=SSPX0162.flv

shizz702
11-21-08, 8:23 pm
Looked pretty good bro, I didn't notice any major problems. It obviously was a heavy weight for you but you maintained pretty good form.

If you are ready to go up from there just add incremental poundages. 5-10 lb jumps add up really quick and aren't even noticeable to the body when lifting big weight like that since it makes for such a small percentage, yet still still stress it enough to progress. That is what I would do.

Littlefry
11-21-08, 8:55 pm
like shizz said 5-10 increments dont seem like much but a 5 pound increase over 10 weeks is 50 pounds added to a lift, which is a large strength increase.

JimmyZ
11-21-08, 10:59 pm
Thanks fellas. I felt my second rep was rounded too much. I could have done one or two more, but I felt my form was bad on that one so I quit, no sense in f'n my self up just to get a couple more reps in.

BryanSmash!
11-21-08, 11:05 pm
Couple of things on your technique- Just before you engaged the lift, you rolled the barbell a few inches out in front of you. That's going to put your leverage at a disadvantage, so try to keep the bar right up against your shins at the start of the lift. Also, and this is just my opinion, but touch and go reps are largely useless for gaining strength on the Deadlift. Let the weight come to a complete stop between reps and your strength with skyrocket.
Its difficult to see for sure, but it looks like you might be using straps. If you are, I'd recommend you don't use them for the Deadlift. Use chalk and an over/under grip instead. If your grip is weak, work it more intensely to bring it up to par.
It looks like you're starting to get an appreciable amount or weight on the bar, so Id also recommend that you ditch doing multiple reps and focus on singles training on the Deadlift for a while and see what happens. Its a favorite training regime of some old timers and Ive had good results on it as well. Hope this helps.

JimmyZ
11-21-08, 11:33 pm
Singles, as in 5x1 or 8x1? I was using straps. I started using them 455 and again on 495 same with that shit ass belt I have. I've never used chalk either but am going to pick up a inzer lever belt 10mm and chalk soon. LMK about the singles thing, not understanding correctly I think. Oh and if you look a little closer, I think the bar does roll forward a lil bit but so do my shins, there pretty scraped up after dl's yesterday lol.

BryanSmash!
11-22-08, 12:06 am
Singles, as in 5x1 or 8x1? I was using straps. I started using them 455 and again on 495 same with that shit ass belt I have. I've never used chalk either but am going to pick up a inzer lever belt 10mm and chalk soon. LMK about the singles thing, not understanding correctly I think. Oh and if you look a little closer, I think the bar does roll forward a lil bit but so do my shins, there pretty scraped up after dl's yesterday lol.

With the weight you're pulling I'd recommend 5 progressively heavier sets of singles. You may want to work down to this rep scheme for a few weeks with a 5/4/3/2/1 rep count.
When you do get into the singles training, do two warm up sets then three progressively heavier sets with 70, 80 and 90% of your max. Add 1-5lbs every week if possible. Try to keep this type of training consistent for as long as can, several months if possible. Not only will your muscles grow, but you tendons and ligaments will as well (slower though). Your body will transform into a fucking beast. I know because it worked for me.
Your can read up on this kind of training a little more in depth if you pick up a copy of Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik. I highly recommend this book.

Tiny
11-22-08, 9:04 am
Help me out if you would please. Just looking for some constructive criticism. Any pointers. I want to go up from here and feel I need some advise. The second rep sucked ass but it was heavy and I was tired. Thanks in advance.

Oh and sorry its sideways, lol. I wanted my partner to take a vid of my form and well it ended up sideways.

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/jmzkrz92307/?action=view&current=SSPX0162.flv

I'm only going to pick on your form a little bit - it isn't terrible but it can stand some tweaking. Again, don't take this the wrong way, hell, your form is good compared to most guys who even deadlift however, take a look at guys like Brian Weston or Jeff McVicar (or even me) and you can pick out small details that make it easier for us to pull a lot of weight. first, I take a stance similar to yours, close, kind of shoulder width - McVicar and Weston both use a wider stance (just using them 'cause they are both training partners of mine and both are world class, multiple world record powerlifters). Try dropping your hips and ass further down into the hole from the start. Drop the fuck down and keep your elbows straight with the tension leaning back - lean back, ass as low as possible, pull back on your heels. I think your hips are too high out of the hole. for bodybuilding purposes, I myself favor a double overhand grip - not the best approach in a powerlifting interest but for me it keeps things even ('cause I am primarily a bodybuilder). I also have used straps once my grip has already failed in the heavier realms BUT nowadays I am more likely to wrap my wrists than use straps. Get a good set of wrist wraps and prior to pulling, make a fist nice and tight and wrap that wrist good. Only issue you may then have is getting your hands around the bar because wrapping them while squeezing into a fist will keep the hand closed. Try it and see. Belts - I don't use anymore. Brian never uses a belt deadlifting and he had pulled very nearly 800 in competition; he squats over a grand (in competition) and doesn't don a belt until over 800. As a bodybuilder, if your core is not already solid, you may want to keep it safe and use a belt here and there - many of us have had umbelical hernias, it is VERY common place and you should avoid that is able. The fix is easy but from a physique standpoint it is a little unsightly until it gets fixed. also, go over to Sgt Rock's thread and ask him about your deadlift - he is the man here whose brain you want to pick when you are talking deadlift.

sanga
11-22-08, 9:33 am
This is why I love this forum, a guy posts up his video of his deadlift technique for critique, then you get a pro (Tiny) click on his thread, look at his video, then gives his opinions and advice on how to make things better.

Reckon there is another forum that you can do that? I don`t know of one.

JimmyZ
11-22-08, 11:43 am
This is why I love this forum, a guy posts up his video of his deadlift technique for critique, then you get a pro (Tiny) click on his thread, look at his video, then gives his opinions and advice on how to make things better.

With the weight you're pulling I'd recommend 5 progressively heavier sets of singles. You may want to work down to this rep scheme for a few weeks with a 5/4/3/2/1 rep count.
When you do get into the singles training, do two warm up sets then three progressively heavier sets with 70, 80 and 90% of your max. Add 1-5lbs every week if possible. Try to keep this type of training consistent for as long as can, several months if possible. Not only will your muscles grow, but you tendons and ligaments will as well (slower though). Your body will transform into a fucking beast. I know because it worked for me.
Your can read up on this kind of training a little more in depth if you pick up a copy of Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik. I highly recommend this book.

I will look into this today. I used to do this kinda stuff in HS but I have never DL'd before about 8 months ago or so. I did the squats and milk program a few months back as well and by body responded well with that program, same thing of adding 5lbs a w/o. Thanks sir.

JimmyZ
11-22-08, 11:48 am
I'm only going to pick on your form a little bit - it isn't terrible but it can stand some tweaking. Again, don't take this the wrong way, hell, your form is good compared to most guys who even deadlift however, take a look at guys like Brian Weston or Jeff McVicar (or even me) and you can pick out small details that make it easier for us to pull a lot of weight. first, I take a stance similar to yours, close, kind of shoulder width - McVicar and Weston both use a wider stance (just using them 'cause they are both training partners of mine and both are world class, multiple world record powerlifters). Try dropping your hips and ass further down into the hole from the start. Drop the fuck down and keep your elbows straight with the tension leaning back - lean back, ass as low as possible, pull back on your heels. I think your hips are too high out of the hole. for bodybuilding purposes, I myself favor a double overhand grip - not the best approach in a powerlifting interest but for me it keeps things even ('cause I am primarily a bodybuilder). I also have used straps once my grip has already failed in the heavier realms BUT nowadays I am more likely to wrap my wrists than use straps. Get a good set of wrist wraps and prior to pulling, make a fist nice and tight and wrap that wrist good. Only issue you may then have is getting your hands around the bar because wrapping them while squeezing into a fist will keep the hand closed. Try it and see. Belts - I don't use anymore. Brian never uses a belt deadlifting and he had pulled very nearly 800 in competition; he squats over a grand (in competition) and doesn't don a belt until over 800. As a bodybuilder, if your core is not already solid, you may want to keep it safe and use a belt here and there - many of us have had umbelical hernias, it is VERY common place and you should avoid that is able. The fix is easy but from a physique standpoint it is a little unsightly until it gets fixed. also, go over to Sgt Rock's thread and ask him about your deadlift - he is the man here whose brain you want to pick when you are talking deadlift.

I don't think my core is solid by any means but the s&m program I did however did strengthen it alot. I used to start using a belt about 315 and now 405 is no problem w/o a belt so I'll keep workin on it. The wraps I have are the good shiek ones with the dowels so I can try and do what you suggested w/o using the strap part of it until positively needed. I've always had back problems too as I progressively got older it was a matter of a month and I'd be laid up in bed hurt. Sometimes I'd be out for a week, this happened almost twice a year it seems. It all stems from not building my back growing up. I got turned on to this place and for about a year now, no major back problems. Thank Tiny, I welcome the criticism, it helps me. I will go ask Rock soon too and take your advice to my next dl w/o.

JimmyZ
11-22-08, 11:50 am

Not at all. I love this place!!! Thank you fellas. My short term goal, 6 months is to be in the 6's so I appreciate all the help I can get.