PDA

View Full Version : Find a Balance?

Joker-Roo
11-21-08, 10:16 pm
Tonight has been another typical Friday night. Everyone going out getting hammered and having a good time. Killing there liver/body but sometimes I think ..."Hey, maybe it worth it" . Everyday I am fighting not going out and following along, I know its better to stick to my choice of changing my body/life for the better, just can't seem to rack my brain around, if its so bad than why do I want to do it? Couple times I have been weak and will give in and go out and the next day its not the hang over that makes me feel bad, its my guilt trip that I have dehydrated myself, went to macdonalds that night on a drunk eat fest, and even though I have taken 3 steps forward in my progress , knowing that I just took 2 back with that night makes me sick.

Point is, well, don't really have a point. I needed to rant ....

On the bright side, Squats are tomorrow, take the anger out on the smith machine.

Andru

Sphinx
11-21-08, 10:52 pm
Tonight has been another typical Friday night. Everyone going out getting hammered and having a good time. Killing there liver/body but sometimes I think ..."Hey, maybe it worth it" . Everyday I am fighting not going out and following along, I know its better to stick to my choice of changing my body/life for the better, just can't seem to rack my brain around, if its so bad than why do I want to do it? Couple times I have been weak and will give in and go out and the next day its not the hang over that makes me feel bad, its my guilt trip that I have dehydrated myself, went to macdonalds that night on a drunk eat fest, and even though I have taken 3 steps forward in my progress , knowing that I just took 2 back with that night makes me sick.

Point is, well, don't really have a point. I needed to rant ....

On the bright side, Squats are tomorrow, take the anger out on the smith machine.

Andru

Wish I could help ya man, only advice I have is that it pays to be anti-social ;) Thats why I never have this problem really.

jeff00z28
11-21-08, 11:20 pm
just do what u want brah. u only live once

BryanSmash!
11-21-08, 11:47 pm
Depending o your friends, you could always go out with them, but dont drink. Have a couple of sodas, or an orange juice on the rocks. Make yourself the designated driver so they wont pressure you into drinking. Make them pat for your NA drinks, and id you end up at Mickey D's, make them pay for some food for you too. Fuck it man, unless you're in precontest mode for a bodybuilding show, eat some fries. Just dont be a pig about it.
If you do try this though, be warned. You might not have any fun. But you will realize that maybe it wasn't all that fun in the first place and you have better things to do. No regrets.

houseofpain
11-21-08, 11:47 pm
Nothing is bad for you in moderation. You only live once. Have some damn fun sometimes dude. Everyone's serious about their goals, it doesn't mean you need to ostracize yourself and become a loner in order to achieve your goals. Moderation is key. I look at it this way. I saw this somewhere and it stuck in my mind.

"When i get to the gates of Heaven and God asks me what I've done with my life, what am I going to say? That i lived hardcore, pressing big weight and building a body the whole time? He is going to look at me and say, What the fuck for? You just left all of that six feet under the ground and you've hardly enjoyed anything I've created for you."

Yes, you need goals in bodybuilding. Yes, you need to make sacrifices. But does that mean you need to make yourself miserable and let it ruin the rest of your life? Hell no. You only live once, experience as much as you can and take it all in because this trip we call life is shorter then everyone makes it seem.

TheBassGuy
11-21-08, 11:48 pm
every so often isn't going to kill you... just dont make a habit of it.

Joker-Roo
11-22-08, 1:07 am
Nothing is bad for you in moderation. You only live once. Have some damn fun sometimes dude. Everyone's serious about their goals, it doesn't mean you need to ostracize yourself and become a loner in order to achieve your goals. Moderation is key. I look at it this way. I saw this somewhere and it stuck in my mind.

"When i get to the gates of Heaven and God asks me what I've done with my life, what am I going to say? That i lived hardcore, pressing big weight and building a body the whole time? He is going to look at me and say, What the fuck for? You just left all of that six feet under the ground and you've hardly enjoyed anything I've created for you."

Yes, you need goals in bodybuilding. Yes, you need to make sacrifices. But does that mean you need to make yourself miserable and let it ruin the rest of your life? Hell no. You only live once, experience as much as you can and take it all in because this trip we call life is shorter then everyone makes it seem.

True that, I am by no means a outcast or anything. And in fact i've grown out of the get drunk stupid stage, needed a place to let it out, the forvm is a good place. I enjoy myself through friends and family in other ways beside tie-ing one on each night.

That quote is a good one, defently take it into consideration. Appreciate the reply's

Andru

Thetasteofink69
11-22-08, 1:17 am
I lift because I enjoy it.. I don't plan to compete, I don't have anyone to impress, I just enjoy lifting and watching myself make progress

Usually I find that I enjoy that progress and commitment more than I enjoy parties.. Other times, I find the opposite to be true.. Either way, I just enjoy my life and usually staying committed to my goals is #1 priority, and other times it's not. If I'm enjoying myself, I won't beat myself up if I let my focus wander from time to time

BricksAndStones
11-22-08, 1:39 am

That's deep. And I agree. Unless this is your job then you shouldn't go to the extremes. I lift weights to be heavier, and it's true for me I never drink just because I've never enjoyed it. But eating food is one thing I know about, eating bad food on binges is one thing I know about. I found that if you have moderation, like our other brothers have said, than you'll find a balance. One that allows you to enjoy life, and enjoy building your body at the same time. Extremes only come in when everything is on the line, or you commit yourself to that life style because it seriously fits you. Just my 2 cents

futurefreak101
11-22-08, 9:24 am
sorry but i used to live the life of an "party goer" or watever its called. going out getting smashed meeting girls going to clubs...honestly shit got played...how is getting fucking hammered fun time after time? you destroy your body...you loose motivation..you start to look like shit and get fat...pathetic in my opinoin...thats why i changed my life and dedicated it to the iron...only a select few make it big in this sport..and even once you reach the top there still isnt much money in it..but for me its not about the money...its about this..this iron game..this shit is my life...the respect..the dedication...doing what 99 percent of the world could never do...my mentality is fucked..i love it though...i only see one path...gettting huge...live by this phrase...if you plan on going places in this sport and you take it very seriously..."you have to do what your enemy cant do to acheive what your enemy wont"

stumblin54
11-22-08, 6:05 pm
If at the end of the day Andru you can look back with no regrets, then you're doing fine. If however, you are left with questions and regrets, then you have some thinking to do...

Stumblin

NPRamirez
11-22-08, 6:51 pm
I've had this same exact problems. When I go home the next day, I chug water and eat whatever I can choke down but it is a habit to weigh myself in the morning so I do it anyways. I know i'm going to hate what i'm about to see because chances are I missed a meal or 2 because of partying and my body is still dehydrated. When I look at the scale and it's 3-4lbs lower thn the night before, that's my motivation to stay focused and stop fuckin' around. Now obviously those missing lbs appear shortly after, once I get my body back in check but it just isn't worth the anxiety. Not to mention you lost some gains whichever way you look at it.

On a more positive note, as others have mentioned, it IS okay in moderation. I party half as much as I used to and half the time I go out, I stay sobercab. Hey, the buddies LOVE it. I always bring a shaker cup with 2 scoops of powder and my big water bottle. At least this way, if I know I've been out too late, I can at least get some protein in and stay hydrated. You just gotta get used to not being drunk like everyone else. And come on, you have to admit, it is a pretty cool feeling knowing that everyones body is being torn down while yours is being built up (read that in one of the AnimalPak articles). Just ponder that thought while you are out partying.

Pizzalamp
11-22-08, 9:46 pm
you could hang out at the juice bar at your gym and chat it up w/ some other like minded individuals...then maybe hit up the chinese buffet or grab a slice w/ them after

smith06
11-22-08, 10:29 pm
you could hang out at the juice bar at your gym and chat it up w/ some other like minded individuals...then maybe hit up the chinese buffet or grab a slice w/ them after

I read this and laughed...I dont know what a juice bar is and I'm pretty sure I'd hafta drive at least 100 miles to get to one. And there are no like minded's around here. Even the biggest guys go out on the weekends.

I aint making fun of ya. I just wish what u said was possible.

bigrhino
11-23-08, 11:23 am
OP, how old are you? Are you in college? Do you have a family or lots of other responsibilities? Because in my opinion, the answer to these would dramatically affect what we have to say.

Also, I think houseofpain summed it up very well.

bigrhino
11-23-08, 11:24 am

Don't know how many "like minded" chicks there are. And if you do find them, I'd be curious what they are like.

Pizzalamp
11-23-08, 5:40 pm
Don't know how many "like minded" chicks there are. And if you do find them, I'd be curious what they are like.

come to my gym...theyre everywhere...

GJN5002
11-23-08, 5:51 pm
Theres a lot of good advice here. Enjoy life, going out once in a while is fine you dont have to live like a former alchoholic that cant even be around booze. Go out and dont drink have fun meet people and atleast you wont make the dumb decisions others do when they go out (you can use good sober vision rather than beer goggles when talking ot chicks). Even if you do drink enjoy it and be responsible. Get some sleep and rehydrate dont live like ahermit when youre young. Someday youll have a wife and kids and stresses and may not have the opportunity to go out as much and have fun.

Aggression
11-24-08, 12:34 pm

Couldn't agree more man. I sacrifice a shit-ton because of my aspirations of bodybuilding. BUT, I also find room for fun and good times. When I start dieting in August, I'll shield myself from most of it, if not all. But for now, during my bulk, I leave room for leniency. I go out on weekends and have fun. I don't get hammered and black-out, but I enjoy myself with friends. Its a must in my mind.

IRBS
11-24-08, 12:51 pm
Go out and have a good time. No need to be a bodybuilder hermit...

InkdMuscle
11-24-08, 2:02 pm
like the title says finding a balance is key. it all depends on ur goals. my family knows im not a drinker and they give me shit for not wanting to go out for it. but when they are sick to there stomachs and hung over the next day and i come in from a kick ass workout ready to start my day and they cant even move, they realize then why i do what i do. but u do need to unwind from day to day. My trainer RAGE allows me to hae one cheat meal a week. i can eat whatever i want. If u feel u wann hang with the buds and put back a couple do it like that. use it as a cheat meal. and then back on the grind after that.

Ir0nClad
11-26-08, 12:11 am
The part that you said about mcdonalds relates to me so much. I'm in college now and every friday and saturday night everyone goes out and gets drunk. I go out and drink too, but I try to control it and almost always by the end of the night Im already sober. I just drink a shit load of water before I go to bed and I usually never wake up with a hang over. Four hours later after waking up on saturday, I'm in the gym doing shoulders while the rest of the kids my age are still recovering from the night before.

Aggression
11-26-08, 9:30 am
The part that you said about mcdonalds relates to me so much. I'm in college now and every friday and saturday night everyone goes out and gets drunk. I go out and drink too, but I try to control it and almost always by the end of the night Im already sober. I just drink a shit load of water before I go to bed and I usually never wake up with a hang over. Four hours later after waking up on saturday, I'm in the gym doing shoulders while the rest of the kids my age are still recovering from the night before.

True. Been there, done that. It's a good feeling. I used to wake up, eat, hit the gym, and I'd walk back into my apartment to see my 2 other roommates just waking up and eating breakfast. In my mind, seeing that was like a mental victory to me.